Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2018, 5:02 AM

Default Calif. ammo laws

Just for chits and giggles I wonder what would happen to me if I was visiting in Calif. and saw some ammo I wanted to buy, what would they do? not sell to the foreigner and or what would the limits be? Does that ammo law apply to me? even though I'm "NOT" a Cali resident.
Something to think about.
Elk hunter
Old 03-05-2018, 5:55 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
Just for chits and giggles I wonder what would happen to me if I was visiting in Calif. and saw some ammo I wanted to buy, what would they do? not sell to the foreigner and or what would the limits be? Does that ammo law apply to me? even though I'm "NOT" a Cali resident.
Something to think about.
Elk hunter
CA ammo laws for acquiring while in CA, applies to anyone who is in CA.
CA ammo laws for importing into CA, only applies to CA residents.

Only a CA DOJ licensed ammunition vendor (CA FFL dealer) can legally transfer ammunition in CA.

As a non-resident of CA, you will need to provide valid (REAL ID compliant) State DL/ID in order to legally acquire ammunition while in CA and any ammo you want to transfer to some one else in CA must be done through a licensed ammunition vendor (CA FFL dealer).

Until it changes on 07-01-2019, all that is needed (for CA residents and non-residents of CA) to legally acquire ammunition is to present your valid State DL/ID.

There is no limit to how much ammunition you can acquire.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-05-2018, 6:17 AM

Thank you Quiet, we have no such thing as a Real ID here in MT, just a simple drivers license. Ours have no special words on it. So I guess for me if I were to go out there to shoot I would have to haul all of my ammo out there, if I'm shooting ground squirels it could be a lot of it. Thanks again for your answer.
Old 03-05-2018, 6:24 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Thank you Quiet, we have no such thing as a Real ID here in MT, just a simple drivers license. Ours have no special words on it. So I guess for me if I were to go out there to shoot I would have to haul all of my ammo out there, if I'm shooting ground squirels it could be a lot of it. Thanks again for your answer.
AFAIK...

MT DMV intends to roll out their REAL ID compliant DL/ID in Janurary 2019.

As long as your current State issued DL/ID does not have a "Federal Limits Apply" markings, it should still be good to go.
^CA DOJ is only flagging State issued DL/ID with "Federal Limits Apply" markings.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-05-2018, 6:36 AM

Thanks again, I did look for the Federal Limits Apply but couldn't find anything on it with those words. I do wonder how they will do this as our DL re-newel structure is way different than some. For Example my DL is not renewable until 2022 give or take a few months. Changing them would interrupt the entire structure they are on so I think they will phase it in at renewal time. Some of us might or might not have it in 19 unless they figure out how to reimburse those of us that paid for the full license period. It gets interesting again huh.
Regards
Old 03-11-2018, 8:36 PM

I have a REAL ID stamped license. Am I screwed?
Old 03-13-2018, 8:43 PM

I’m a CA resident.
I went to BassPro in Feb to buy a couple boxes of 12 gauge shells for a late season e goose hunt. I did not need to show any ID. The ammo is kept behind locked glass doors now. Sales guy took it from the shelf to register, I paid, and carried it out.

I’m curious where you found the laws published about providing ID? I agree with out of state sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2018, 8:56 PM

Old 03-13-2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks again, I did look for the Federal Limits Apply but couldn't find anything on it with those words. I do wonder how they will do this as our DL re-newel structure is way different than some. For Example my DL is not renewable until 2022 give or take a few months. Changing them would interrupt the entire structure they are on so I think they will phase it in at renewal time. Some of us might or might not have it in 19 unless they figure out how to reimburse those of us that paid for the full license period. It gets interesting again huh.
Regards

not renewable? or doesn't expire until '22?
reimbursement? ha!

cue the old lady ad.. that's not how how this works