Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-03-2016, 11:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramud View Post
Was there any solution to this? I have been looking around but didn't find anything. I get my gun in about 2 weeks and I hope it doesnt have the plastic.
Drilling the stock and putting in real metal studs or buying a better stock..
Old 04-12-2016, 12:08 AM

This post got me intrigued. I'm looking for a budget friendly first gun. I was thinking this or the 10/22. Which one is better for the money bone stock? I am a college student so want a cheap .22. I will get a scope and necessary accessories but want the gun as good as it can be stock. And I love that it comes black already. Should I get this over a 10/22 and where could I find it in stores?
Old 04-12-2016, 2:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChao View Post
This post got me intrigued. I'm looking for a budget friendly first gun. I was thinking this or the 10/22. Which one is better for the money bone stock? I am a college student so want a cheap .22. I will get a scope and necessary accessories but want the gun as good as it can be stock. And I love that it comes black already. Should I get this over a 10/22 and where could I find it in stores?
Of course fans of this thread are going to say the 795 is better then the 10/22.

But really they each have their place.
The 10/22 has its pluses the biggest being customization. But if you are looking at keeping it stock then the 795 edges it out. Even some 10/22 fans will concede that a stock 795 is more accurate then the 10/22 stock. And since it is cheaper you will be able to put some of the money towards a scope.

They are available all over the place. Any FFL should be able to order you one if they don't already carry it. Turners is probably the one that carries it the most consistently for the lowest price if you are in SOCAL.
Old 04-12-2016, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

If you are on a strict budget, instead of a scope with the 795 maybe try the receiver mounted Tech Sights that cost much less than a good scope. Buckhorn or peep sights make for more challenging and fun shooting, at least IMHO.
Here's a photo of a 1960s predecessor of the 795 with the Tech Sights, a Marlin/Glenfield Model 70 modified with an upper handguard.

Single fin mentality
Old 04-12-2016, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by otteray View Post
If you are on a strict budget, instead of a scope with the 795 maybe try the receiver mounted Tech Sights that cost much less than a good scope. Buckhorn or peep sights make for more challenging and fun shooting, at least IMHO.
Here's a photo of a 1960s predecessor of the 795 with the Tech Sights, a Marlin/Glenfield Model 70 modified with an upper handguard.
You sure that isn't actually a 989 M2? They factory made a stock that came like that.
Old 04-12-2016, 7:06 PM

Can Techsight 1/3 coexists with TRS25 like 10/22 without using mount on the rear Techsight?
Old 05-04-2016, 8:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Guys,
Is there any truth to the rumor is that separate, individual scope rings for the 795 dovetail mount does not hold as well as unified mounts such as these?
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/348...FdgUgQodU_wPLA

What is your recommendation for a scope mount? 1 inch tube

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 05-04-2016, 9:09 AM
Calguns Addict

I had all types of ring mounts walk over time, until I got some BKL ring mounts that have one piece construction for the lower part.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:23 AM

The absolute best solution I've found to the 3/8" dovetail .22 scope mount dilemma are these bases from B-Square. They really provide a solid mount, and will work with any standard Weaver or Picitinny scope ring. This is a photo of them installed on my Marlin Model 60. The rings are Burris Steel Signature Zee Rings.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...prod18690.aspx

Old 05-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Guys,
Is there any truth to the rumor is that separate, individual scope rings for the 795 dovetail mount does not hold as well as unified mounts such as these?
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/348...FdgUgQodU_wPLA

What is your recommendation for a scope mount? 1 inch tube
If there wasn't any truth then it wouldn't be so purported and there wouldn't a section to the guide devoted to it.

Buy once cry once, the tried and true mount that works best for these rifles is a "one piece base". There have been countless threads over the years about individual rings moving on these.

The UTG one piece mount listed in the guide works great. If you want to get a fancier more expensive one piece mount like BKL go for it.. The one you posted really doesn't seem that much better then the UTG at double the price

I don't see a reason to convert dovetail to weaver.. It just adds height and weight. Except maybe for a red dot.
Old 05-04-2016, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I'm kicking around the idea of a 795. But with 3, Model 60's it's hard to justify.
For me, I had a 795 before a 60 and had I bought the 60 first i'd never have bought the 795. Take my 795 if you want it, brand new. I have no use for it. The 60, I shoot the bejeesus out of it and love it to death.
Old 05-04-2016, 4:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Advice on the one piece mount is much appreciated. I got the UTG one piece mount from Amazon, kicking in some contribution to CGN through shop42A.com for $17.

This is what I love about the Marlin 795. For the same amount of money for just the scope mounts for larger rifles, one can buy the scope and the mount for the 795!!

Old 05-04-2016, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Advice on the one piece mount is much appreciated. I got the UTG one piece mount from Amazon, kicking in some contribution to CGN through shop42A.com for $17.

This is what I love about the Marlin 795. For the same amount of money for just the scope mounts for larger rifles, one can buy the scope and the mount for the 795!!
Nice, you made sure to get the correct height for your scope bell size right? The UTG comes in 2 flavors medium and high for each ring size. So there is really 4 different models. The tall will of course work with smaller scope elements but its always best to get as close to the bore height as possible.

Last edited by Chaos47; 05-04-2016 at 5:09 PM..
Old 05-04-2016, 7:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Nice, you made sure to get the correct height for your scope bell size right? The UTG comes in 2 flavors medium and high for each ring size. So there is really 4 different models. The tall will of course work with smaller scope elements but its always best to get as close to the bore height as possible.
Yes, at $17 a piece, I ended up buying both the medium and high mounts, with a bore brush thrown in, especially with Amazon's $35 free shipping offer

Old 05-04-2016, 7:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes, at $17 a piece, I ended up buying both the medium and high mounts, with a bore brush thrown in, especially with Amazon's $35 free shipping offer
Nice!
Old 05-05-2016, 9:26 AM

So glad I found this thread. Read through the whole thing the other day. I'm on the east coast and Gander Mountain has the standard 795 for $159 and I got a $20 off $100 coupon code. For $139 I couldn't help myself and bought one for me and one for my son as my pre WW2 bolt action Sears Marlin is just too big for him to handle. In any case I'm going to pick up a BSA sweet 22 for mine and want to make sure I get the correct UTG mount from Amazon. Can I use the medium height or does it have to be the tall one?

Thanks.

John
Old 05-05-2016, 9:58 AM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

I ran the stock rings that came with the Sweets 22 scope on my Marlin 795. I had to remove the rear leaf sight to clear the front bell of the scope.

I'll try to post some pics up in a bit.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:42 AM
CGN Contributor

Here is my 795. Using the provided scope rings required removal of the rear sight so that the Sweet 22 scope can fit properly.

I also made a sharpie mark to see how much the rings move. Anyone have a link to the UTG/Leapers mount?

Old 05-05-2016, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

High http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Pro.../dp/B002TUSJV6
Med http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Medium-Pro.../dp/B002TUSJVQ

atc250r
Google tells me that the BSA sweet 22 is a 40mm. So its gonna be close for the medium profile. Especially if you want to run covers... Like vinny's photo shows his rings just barely clears with even the rear sight removed. Its up to you but the but the high seems like a safer bet. Unless you want to do like beanz is doing and order both and see which works best.
Usually its said that Med works for up to 40mm (and maybe not with covers) and high for over 40mm.

Personally I use the high with a 50mm with flip up covers and its a great fit.

vinny_land did you paint your stock? What is it / how did you get that effect I like it!
Old 05-05-2016, 2:47 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
High http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Pro.../dp/B002TUSJV6
Med http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Medium-Pro.../dp/B002TUSJVQ

atc250r
Google tells me that the BSA sweet 22 is a 40mm. So its gonna be close for the medium profile. Especially if you want to run covers... Like vinny's photo shows his rings just barely clears with even the rear sight removed. Its up to you but the but the high seems like a safer bet. Unless you want to do like beanz is doing and order both and see which works best.
Usually its said that Med works for up to 40mm (and maybe not with covers) and high for over 40mm.

Personally I use the high with a 50mm with flip up covers and its a great fit.

vinny_land did you paint your stock? What is it / how did you get that effect I like it!
I think it's safe to get the medium mount if you remove the rear sight.

I did a rattlecan spray paint job on my stock using Krylon camo after seeing a few Bell Carlson stocks. After putting down primer and then your base coat (olive drab), I made two passes with Krylon webbing/marbelizing spray (black). Finished up with matte clear coat. The webbing paint goes on heavy so I recommend a few passes on cardboard to see how fast you need to move to get the desired texture. Quick search on Google and you can get ideas for DIY. You can really do some Jackson Pollock work on your stocks. The Krylon paint has held up after 5 years except the high stress areas near sling attachments and toe of the stock. Glad you like it!!!

Here is a video I made 5 years ago.

Last edited by vinny_land; 05-05-2016 at 2:58 PM..
Old 05-05-2016, 2:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I, too, plan on using the BSA Sweet 22 on mine. So I am hoping to be able to run the medium rings.

From Amazon's website, it says "ONE-PIECE AIRGUN/.22 RING MOUNTSAccuShot Airgun/.22 Full Length Integral Mount (100mm Long), for 1” Scope, Mid-Profile, 4 Screws/Each Ring, Fits Scopes upto 45mm Obj"

Its a shame that the Tech Sights will have to go, but these old eyes are just ... too old

OTOH, I am hoping to DROS a 795 LTR tonight from the FFL. Kind of excited to see it.

Old 05-05-2016, 3:04 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I, too, plan on using the BSA Sweet 22 on mine. So I am hoping to be able to run the medium rings.

From Amazon's website, it says "ONE-PIECE AIRGUN/.22 RING MOUNTSAccuShot Airgun/.22 Full Length Integral Mount (100mm Long), for 1” Scope, Mid-Profile, 4 Screws/Each Ring, Fits Scopes upto 45mm Obj"

Its a shame that the Tech Sights will have to go, but these old eyes are just ... too old

OTOH, I am hoping to DROS a 795 LTR tonight from the FFL. Kind of excited to see it.
Will gladly take those Tech Sights off your hands...

Old 05-05-2016, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
I think it's safe to get the medium mount if you remove the rear sight.

I did a rattlecan spray paint job on my stock using Krylon camo after seeing a few Bell Carlson stocks. After putting down primer and then your base coat (olive drab), I made two passes with Krylon webbing/marbelizing spray (black). Finished up with matte clear coat. The webbing paint goes on heavy so I recommend a few passes on cardboard to see how fast you need to move to get the desired texture. Quick search on Google and you can get ideas for DIY. You can really do some Jackson Pollock work on your stocks. The Krylon paint has held up after 5 years except the high stress areas near sling attachments and toe of the stock. Glad you like it!!!

Here is a video I made 5 years ago.
Very interesting. Good tip on practicing first. I'd imagine that stuff comes out of the can quite strange.

Beanz, Let us know which one works and I will note it on the front page of the guide since that scope is very popular.
I seem to remember people having issues with 40mm scopes with the medium tho.. I think they fit just barely without caps

Last edited by Chaos47; 05-05-2016 at 3:54 PM..
Old 05-05-2016, 4:04 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Very interesting. Good tip on practicing first. I'd imagine that stuff comes out of the can quite strange.

If you play with texturing, you'll be able to see what works best. I also added this on my AR pistol lower on top of black Duracoat base. Combinations are endless imo. Would like to try a black and white combo.

Old 05-05-2016, 6:10 PM

Thanks. I was under the impression it came without rings. I've got nothing to lose by mounting it then.
Old 05-07-2016, 6:23 PM

Grabbed a BSA Sweet 22 yesterday at Dicks sporting goods. No rings. Ordered the one piece medium height from Amazon.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:48 AM
CGN Contributor

Question for you guys running Tech Sights on your Marlin...

Does the rear sight begin to walk/move similarly like scope rings do? I'm picking up a Ruger 10/22 tomorrow and considering which rifle to make a dedicated LTR.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:50 PM

Ok I'm planning to roll with a DIP rail on my M60. I really like it on my CZ 452. Anyone have mounting issues with a newer Marlin rifle though?
Old 05-08-2016, 2:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Question for you guys running Tech Sights on your Marlin...

Does the rear sight begin to walk/move similarly like scope rings do? I'm picking up a Ruger 10/22 tomorrow and considering which rifle to make a dedicated LTR.
I have a mixed experience with them. One that I did 2 years ago is still fine, but the one I did for a buddy 10 minutes before a range trip worked itself loose, but then we were in a hurry. Both had blue Loctite applied. Lesson learned: don't fit anything when you are in a hurry.

Old 05-08-2016, 8:55 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have a mixed experience with them. One that I did 2 years ago is still fine, but the one I did for a buddy 10 minutes before a range trip worked itself loose, but then we were in a hurry. Both had blue Loctite applied. Lesson learned: don't fit anything when you are in a hurry.
Got it!!! I imagine with properly cured Loctite and securely cranked down, you would get minimal (or even no) movement with the sight.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default BSA Sweet 22 on Marlin 795

So after dinner and a list of honey-do's (it is Mother's Day after all) finally I got some time to play LOL. Fitted my $36 BSA Sweet 22 to the $17 UTG single piece medium height mount tonight. Took my time moving the mount fore and aft as well as the scope with respect to the mount.

Observations:
The stock cheekweld is not as comfortable as before when I was using Tech Sights, but decent. Some day I'll try using an ITC Marksmanship cheek pad I didn't end up using for my .308 Steyr SSG-69.

With the way my body is, I needed to fix the mount all the way forward on the 795's dovetail. Even then the scope has to be mounted farther forward. But at this position, my pupil falls nicely within the Sweet 22's eye relief. All the way from standing unsupported with extremely bladed shoulders to the target, to shooting prone while craning my neck as far forward as possible.

The objective bell is nowhere close to the barrel with the medium mount. I measured 5/16" space between. What is the spec on these one-piece UTG mounts? Distance of midline of rings to the mounting surface? Any one makes a lower one piece mount such as these?

Now the pics:

Plenty of space between scope objective bell and barrel:

5/16" between the scope and the barrel:

Old 05-08-2016, 11:17 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Observations:
The stock cheekweld is not as comfortable as before when I was using Tech Sights, but decent. Some day I'll try using an ITC Marksmanship cheek pad I didn't end up using for my .308 Steyr SSG-69.

With the way my body is, I needed to fix the mount all the way forward on the 795's dovetail. Even then the scope has to be mounted farther forward. But at this position, my pupil falls nicely within the Sweet 22's eye relief. All the way from standing unsupported with extremely bladed shoulders to the target, to shooting prone while craning my neck as far forward as possible.

The objective bell is nowhere close to the barrel with the medium mount. I measured 5/16" space between. What is the spec on these one-piece UTG mounts? Distance of midline of rings to the mounting surface? Any one makes a lower one piece mount such as these?

Now the pics:

Plenty of space between scope objective bell and barrel:

5/16" between the scope and the barrel:
Overall positive with the one piece mount? Sucks that the aftermarket isn't as available for stocks in order to fit your body. FWIW I'm 5'7" and the standard stock feels a little cramped although I'm still able to get good eye relief to properly see through the scope without any weird body adjustments.

Old 05-09-2016, 6:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Overall positive with the one piece mount? Sucks that the aftermarket isn't as available for stocks in order to fit your body. FWIW I'm 5'7" and the standard stock feels a little cramped although I'm still able to get good eye relief to properly see through the scope without any weird body adjustments.
I haven't shot it yet LOL but it feels solid enough.

The stock feels ok for me but I wonder if there are any butt stock pads one can buy for these. If the pad profile is correct, it seems that the stock can be drilled and tapped for screws.

Old 05-09-2016, 2:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Clearance looks good. If you added caps then it would probably be just perfect.
Old 05-30-2016, 8:57 PM

Is there a reliable modification that would allow magazines to drop free? Mine require both hands (for me at least) to remove from the rifle.
Old 05-30-2016, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazhell View Post
Is there a reliable modification that would allow magazines to drop free? Mine require both hands (for me at least) to remove from the rifle.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.p...&topic=38980.0

Not sure if you have to be a member to read this but gives some insight on how to.
Old 05-30-2016, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentb View Post
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.p...&topic=38980.0

Not sure if you have to be a member to read this but gives some insight on how to.
Interesting thread but personally I wouldn't do any of that besides the magazine disconnect trick.

Whatever you do to try to make the magazines drop free DO NOT bend the magazine release. You will only have reliability issues.
Old 05-31-2016, 7:58 AM

Thank you for the quick replies. The link is informative. I am a bit of a klutz when it comes to doing something the first time. I do believe I have a friend or two who can help guide me through the steps.

I do agree with not bending the magazine disconnect which would allow dry firing without a mag in the rifle.

Thank you again for all your help
Old 06-15-2016, 9:15 PM
Nutty with a hint of JP-8
CGN Contributor

I'd like a heaver stock with better ergo on my 795 SS. I like the look of Boyd's Pepper Laminate Hunter, and their 'Tacticool / Varmint'. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either.

Pepper Hunter:

Tac / Varmint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernher von Browning View Post
I just checked. Change is all I've got left, they took all the folding money.
Quote:
A people whose only powers, liberties & remedies are those strictly defined by the State is not a free people at all.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 AM
Calguns Addict

I have both and love them both (but the hunter is in skyblue, wifes rifle) what do you want to know?