Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-09-2023, 6:41 AM

Default Cheap blaster ammo preferences

I am gonna put in an ammo order in a bit here, and realized I need some cheap "goes bang most of the time" blaster ammo.

I don't need my kid blasting away my more expensive stuff at near-cyclic when all he cares about is just being on paper.

So, what is everyone's 5-6 cent per round preference?
How's Aguila work for everyone? Armscor?
Old 11-09-2023, 8:38 AM

Check this thread.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1887514
Old 11-09-2023, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySky View Post
Mucho danke!
Old 11-15-2023, 4:33 PM

CCI blazer, SV and Mini Mags..All way less than genuine target ammo..But still very good ammo.. Cannot go wrong with CCI.. I will not buy Remington or Winchester .22 ever..
Old 11-16-2023, 11:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've never had any problems with any 22LR ammo that I've purchased over the last 40 years. It's all good for me. Federal, Winchester, Remington, CCI all go band for me, and bang too

MLC, First 3

Last edited by golfish; 11-16-2023 at 5:43 PM..
Old 11-16-2023, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

CCI Mini Mags !

Psalm 1
Old 11-16-2023, 2:19 PM
Veteran Member

IMO the Mexican Aguila .22LR is some of the best rimfire ammo out there for the money.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 11-16-2023, 2:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm in the same group as I've shot pretty much any brand and never had an issue.
Old 11-16-2023, 2:51 PM

I have not used a lot of the Aguila..But when I did.. It was filthy stuff..Maybe it is cleaner now..Not sure have not used any for many years.. Maybe they cleaned it up..
Old 11-16-2023, 7:09 PM

For those who have never had any problems with all brands of 22LR ammo, could you list what firearms you have used?

I have shot 4 brands: Federal Auto Match, Aguila Super Extra, Armscor and CCI. Except CCI (which I only shot 20 rounds), there are always some rounds that require a second strike, regardless of brand, on my M&P 15-22 carbine and Charter Arms Target Pathfinder revolver.

Just want to understand why they behave differently on my firearms.
Old 11-16-2023, 7:13 PM

CCI Mini Mags
Old 11-17-2023, 1:54 AM
Calguns Addict

CCI Blazer is basically a cheaper, unplated Mini Mag---continue to shoot bunches of it I bought way before the last few "ammo shortages" Aguila has also shot well for me, but as been said, is a bit dirty---shoot it in my 10-22---I swear that rifle might run forever...
Old 11-17-2023, 4:25 AM

CCI mini mags are expensive. I just buy bulk whatever is cheap.
Old 11-17-2023, 5:33 AM
Veteran Member

Mini mags have not ever had a FTF in my rifles or pistols. Makes the difference for me.

Psalm 1
Old 11-17-2023, 5:41 AM

Quote:
For those who have never had any problems with all brands of 22LR ammo, could you list what firearms you have used?

I have shot 4 brands: Federal Auto Match, Aguila Super Extra, Armscor and CCI. Except CCI (which I only shot 20 rounds), there are always some rounds that require a second strike, regardless of brand, on my M&P 15-22 carbine and Charter Arms Target Pathfinder revolver.

Berettas mostly.. They seem to not care what you put in them.. I do not keep any .22 that has failures with even bad ammo.. Wifes Taurus TX22 has been trouble free so far..I was kinda weary of buying that one for Her..But she wanted it.. Been great though..

I have nothing that requires a second strike.. I may have in the past, but if I did it would be gone for just that reason..

I always say if it will not function 100% try CCI..If that does not do it..It needs to go away..I also avoid cheap junk Firearms from substandard manufacturers.. A couple from big makers that have caused me problems in the past and are gone.. Ruger SR22, and a Browning Buckmark..

My Marlin Model 60s are great also.. But my Berettas are just the best in my opinion.

All these are .22s and all run perfectly..

My old 1956 Mini 1911 Llama .22 Pistol also runs prefect.. As does my CMMG dedicated .22 AR upper builds..

The SBR Neos has funk, but alot of fun though,LOL

Last edited by AR22; 11-17-2023 at 5:47 AM..
Old 11-17-2023, 6:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInOroValley View Post
I'm in the same group as I've shot pretty much any brand and never had an issue.
^ This.

After the great shortage of 2012, I bought all the Federal (including auto match) and Winchester bulk I could. It all shoots great in each of my guns. Even Rem Tunderbolts is good quality now days. My wife's Walther P22 shoots it all as well.

Henry H001 Lever
Ruger Wrangler
Ruger 10/22
Walther P22
Marlin/Glenfield 25

Last edited by Kokopelli; 11-17-2023 at 7:54 AM..
Old 11-17-2023, 6:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I don?t think there is such a thing as never have any no fires with 22 ammo, it?s gonna happen just a matter of how often.

Yesterday I fired 150 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets with my M&P 15/22, had zero no fires or malfunctions. That has been the norm for that rifle from day one, in the 4000 rounds I?ve put through it I can count the no fires on probably one hand. But there has been a few, it?s a 22lr they happen.

I also fired 340 rounds with my Glock 44, using Gloden Bullets, Auto Match and Winchester M-22. Had zero issues with the GB or the AM, but had two M-22s that failed to fire. I find that to be the norm for those three types of ammo.

My three go to bulk 22 ammo that works the vast majority of times for me is Remington Golden Bullets, more for my riffles than handguns. Federal Auto Match and Aguila Super extra for my handguns.

I shoot a ton of 22lr I'm very close to 30,000 rounds of it this year, bad primers and underpowered and even overpowered rounds happen. Some ammo is much more prone to having it happen than others(Winchester), but in a well functioning clean firearm it should not be a common thing.

A very common issue that leads to problems with semi-autos is people not taking the time or understanding how important it is to have the magazine loaded correctly, especially with your high capacity 22 handguns. You can?t just toss the bullets in the mag, you have to take the time to insure they are seated correctly.

I?ve got 11,000 rounds fired with my Glock 44, it?s my favorite 22 handgun. I use the 18 round pro mags. Had to learn how to correctly load them and it took a bit for them to break in, but now I load them to 16 rounds and very rarely have an issue using the above cheap bulk ammo. Mag dump after mag dump that gun and cheap ammo give me hours of fun
Old 11-17-2023, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR22 View Post
Berettas mostly.. They seem to not care what you put in them.. I do not keep any .22 that has failures with even bad ammo.. Wifes Taurus TX22 has been trouble free so far..I was kinda weary of buying that one for Her..But she wanted it.. Been great though..

I have nothing that requires a second strike.. I may have in the past, but if I did it would be gone for just that reason..

I always say if it will not function 100% try CCI..If that does not do it..It needs to go away..I also avoid cheap junk Firearms from substandard manufacturers.. A couple from big makers that have caused me problems in the past and are gone.. Ruger SR22, and a Browning Buckmark..

My Marlin Model 60s are great also.. But my Berettas are just the best in my opinion.

All these are .22s and all run perfectly..

My old 1956 Mini 1911 Llama .22 Pistol also runs prefect.. As does my CMMG dedicated .22 AR upper builds..

The SBR Neos has funk, but alot of fun though,LOL
Is that a Beretta 948? I need more mags for that!
Old 11-17-2023, 6:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
I am gonna put in an ammo order in a bit here, and realized I need some cheap "goes bang most of the time" blaster ammo.

I don't need my kid blasting away my more expensive stuff at near-cyclic when all he cares about is just being on paper.

So, what is everyone's 5-6 cent per round preference?
How's Aguila work for everyone? Armscor?
I find Aguila has harder primer/rim than other brands.

I love Armscor! I have tried the ?bolt action only? white box and the regular retail box. The white box has about a 4% to 6% failure rate. The retail box is nearly flawless. My Sig P220 cycles that stuff way better than anything else I tried.