Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWF View Post
Thought I’d share my CCW experience/timing in Stanislaus County:

One minor annoyance; my license includes the restriction “ Not valid during the course and scope of employment with --------” From a practical standpoint it’s no big deal as my wife made it very clear that I won’t be carrying at work. My employer has a no weapons policy and the risk of job loss just isn’t worth it to her. From a philosophical standpoint it’s bothersome though; I can carry at the grocery store but when I go to the office I apparently lose the capacity for rational thought.

Many grocery stores and other retail stores have a no firearm "policy" also.

Don't ask, don't tell, stay concealed, if you're so inclined.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls View Post
Many grocery stores and other retail stores have a no firearm "policy" also.

Don't ask, don't tell, stay concealed, if you're so inclined.
Unless they have a metal detector or security asking for weapons, their policy doesn't mean anything in California. The only legal issue they can cause you is if they are aware you are carrying and ask you to leave - if you fail to do so it is trespassing.

Note that the Modesto city/Stanislaus county building at 10th Street Place does require you to show your CCW permit to security on entry (based on the Cal PC you must), but you can still carry your listed firearms in the building (but no knives or other weapons). Pointless policy except to harass and out CCW holders.

Last edited by Jason95357; 07-11-2015 at 7:52 AM..
Old 07-14-2015, 1:02 PM

Smile Any advice for Stanislaus county ccw appointment? Appointment = 7/15/15

I applied for a ccw back in January 2015 and my appointment was set for January 2016. I got lucky and my appointment was moved up to tomorrow. Any advice from any one who has completed the process with success?
Old 07-14-2015, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenszii View Post
I applied for a ccw back in January 2015 and my appointment was set for January 2016. I got lucky and my appointment was moved up to tomorrow. Any advice from any one who has completed the process with success?
Review the policy documents on the website. Have the forms filled out. Be 100% truthful on the forms (I did a bit of research to have all my dates correct and make sure I was not forgetting anything, including a DMV record check).

You get to list 3 handguns tomorrow max and you cannot change them for 2 years (at renewal). Be polite and businesslike. Not much different than going to DMV.

They will take your initial fees, have you fill out another form or two, photo you, and LiveScan you.

Prepare for a long wait after that. <strike>12 weeks</strike> 4 months minimum until they call you for your telephone interview.

If you have a clean background, I would get your training done and turned in as well. Even a less than clean background is OK, so long as you have been clean in recent years (not sure how recent that is, but 10 years works for me).

Let us know how it goes :-)

If you travel at all, you might get your UT (good in 31 states, including WA & ID), AZ (good in NV now), and OR permits while you wait. The first two you can do via mail, and the third you do at Klamath County Sheriff. You will get all 3 of these permits before you get your CA CCW, even if you do them one at a time.

Last edited by Jason95357; 09-07-2015 at 9:42 PM..
Old 07-18-2015, 5:52 AM

Any info on how it went?
How long does the wait take after appointment
Why is stanislaus bumping up 6 months??
Old 07-18-2015, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
Review the policy documents on the website. Have the forms filled out. Be 100% truthful on the forms (I did a bit of research to have all my dates correct and make sure I was not forgetting anything, including a DMV record check).

You get to list 3 handguns tomorrow max and you cannot change them for 2 years (at renewal). Be polite and businesslike. Not much different than going to DMV.

They will take your initial fees, have you fill out another form or two, photo you, and LiveScan you.

Prepare for a long wait after that. 12 weeks minimum until they hear back from DoJ and call you for your telephone interview.

If you have a clean background, I would get your training done and turned in as well.

Let us know how it goes :-)

If you travel at all, you might get your UT (good in 31 states, including WA & ID), AZ (good in NV now), and OR permits while you wait. The first two you can do via mail, and the third you do at Klamath County Sheriff. You will get all 3 of these permits before you get your CA CCW, even if you do them one at a time.

Just went and checked, according to

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

UT CCW permit does NOT allow NV or OR CCW carry - What new info do you have?

History is a myth that men agree to believe.
Napoleon
Old 07-18-2015, 6:36 AM

He said to get UT
Also get AZ because it allows NV
And get OR

That's how I read it anyway
Old 07-18-2015, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimomann View Post
He said to get UT
Also get AZ because it allows NV
And get OR

That's how I read it anyway
I now get your wording and Yes, Non res AZ gives you NV and a person can get OR - Not sure what all has to be done to get AZ or OR - UT and FL are super easy.

I have had NV now for about 10 years and is easy to get but you have to go to NV to get it, NOT thru the mail

History is a myth that men agree to believe.
Napoleon
Old 07-22-2015, 12:22 AM

Scheduled my first appt yesterday and secured Dec 15. Not to bad I thought. Anyway, just got an Email that said there was cancellations and my appt could be changed to 7/25/15. That has to be some sort of record wait time. 1 week? Well anyway, I will be outta town so I had to pass. I then checked the website and checked available dates and there were about 12 sooner than my scheduled date. So, my new date is in Sept. Again, not to bad. It use to be 1 yr until you could get an appt. So, check the calander, there ARE cancellations and bump up your date. By the way, Dec 15 is now open.
Old 08-08-2015, 9:54 PM

In Jan I scheduled online and first appointments available were in Dec 2015. In Jun I was notified of a cancellation and rescheduled my appointment for Jun-15. They told me it would take 60-90 days to get the background check from the DOJ and the detective would call for my interview once it was received. I went ahead and took my initial CCW training class from Valley Defense this weekend. By the way, Valley Defense does great training and I highly recommended them for your required CCW training. Hopefully I will be getting the call for my interview soon.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:19 AM

Im waiting on call of approval too such a drag

But I won't have any problems getting approved I used to work there so hope that helps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2015, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Default 4 Months

My appointment was last week. Went smooth. Lady said if I don't get my interview call in 4 months to call her and she gave me a direct line to her. She said they have just one person assigned to the phone interviews. Once the state DOJ approves you go into his que for the phone call. Watch for a 558 prefix she said.

After that she didn't say how long it takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimomann View Post
Any info on how it went?
How long does the wait take after appointment
Why is stanislaus bumping up 6 months??
Old 08-24-2015, 11:59 PM

Don't forget to sign up for your ccw class with Valley Defense
www.valleydefense.com
Ephesians 6:10
Old 09-07-2015, 9:36 PM

FYI, time from appointment to phone interview is presently running a bit over 4 months.
Old 09-08-2015, 1:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
FYI, time from appointment to phone interview is presently running a bit over 4 months.
I just passed my 90 day point and was told that there is only one person handling the background investigations, so I imagine it will probably be closer to Christmas at this rate.
Old 09-08-2015, 7:25 PM

Just completed my application. Can someone that our local Sheriff's Office is in Modesto? Im in Newman, Stanislaus County. An address would be great.

thanks.
Old 09-08-2015, 7:32 PM

Is it 250 Hackett Rd in Modesto and $113? thank you
Old 09-08-2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleeocinca View Post
I just passed my 90 day point and was told that there is only one person handling the background investigations, so I imagine it will probably be closer to Christmas at this rate.
Probably late Oct for you to have your permit in hand. If you have your training done and turned in, it is about two weeks from phone interview, to Sheriff sign-off, to pickup of permit. If you wait for the Sheriff to approve before you do or turn in training, add another week plus your training time as you're making them touch your file again.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Note to sheriff; tack on a $75 expedited handling fee and hire another investigator. I'd guess he'd make his department more money.
Old 09-24-2015, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripon83 View Post
Note to sheriff; tack on a $75 expedited handling fee and hire another investigator. I'd guess he'd make his department more money.
As nice as that sounds, the PC sets the maximum fee schedule.

However, with the fee being what it is, if you had online tools to streamline the "investigation" then you should easily be able to afford to bring back a retired deputy.

I know that the Madison Society has offered to pay to have a retired deputy come back to expedite, but the Sheriff declined the offer.
Old 10-21-2015, 4:27 PM

On 10/07/2015 I turn in my paper work and took my photo and tiger for the background does anyone know how backed up they are right now ? And a time frame on when I should take my ccw class ?
Old 10-21-2015, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie20h View Post
On 10/07/2015 I turn in my paper work and took my photo and tiger for the background does anyone know how backed up they are right now ? And a time frame on when I should take my ccw class ?
4+ months, and it will be more delayed with the Holidays coming up. You can take your CCW class anytime now and turn in the class completed paperwork. Or you can wait for approval, but that will cause the final issuance to be just that much more delayed.

Last edited by Jason95357; 10-21-2015 at 5:45 PM..
Old 10-21-2015, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie20h View Post
Did all my stuff June 24th and still waiting on the call, hoping it's any day now.
Old 10-26-2015, 1:10 PM

New Training Location for Stanislaus and Merced Counties!

The Madison Society was recently approved to hold CCW training classes at the Turlock Sportsman's Club. Which, oddly enough, is not really all that close to Turlock. But it is closer than our other location in Oakdale, where we have been holding our CCW classes for several years now.

The TSC is actually in the West Valley in Stanislaus County (13949 S Carpenter Rd, Crows Landing, CA 95313). Just off of Crows Landing, about half way between Patterson and Newman. Also as we have been approved for Merced County so it is a good choice if you live in Gustine.

Our initial class is the first weekend of December, the 5th and 6th.

For more information you can check out the Madison Society website, http://www.madison-society.org/classes.shtml

If you don't know who/what TMS is, we are a non profit 2A rights group. We focus mostly on CA issues but we can and do get involved in national cases. The majority of the funds we use for these cases come from the fees for CCW classes. Classes are $200 and that includes a one year membership in the Madison Society.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about classes or about the CCW application process.
Old 10-26-2015, 2:37 PM

I had my appointment and turned in my application 6/15 and am still waiting for my interview. I was just camping with a recently retired Stanislaus Deputy who told me they were now running well over 4 months for background checks. Quite different from the 60-90 days they told me back in June. Oh well...
Old 10-27-2015, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223m70 View Post
I had my appointment and turned in my application 6/15 and am still waiting for my interview. I was just camping with a recently retired Stanislaus Deputy who told me they were now running well over 4 months for background checks. Quite different from the 60-90 days they told me back in June. Oh well...
Something happened recently. I am not sure if it was a big influx of applications or what but they are swamped. I try to keep an eye on how long the wait is for appointments and it had been getting shorter and shorter, but in the last two months is has jumped quite a bit. Appointment times had gotten to be as short as 3 months are now back up to almost 8 months.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Banned

There hasn't been anymore of an influx in applications. There is one guy who does background checks and he only works two days a week. Few of my friends are on their 5th month waiting and another is approaching 6. One guy to do background checks is crazy. They should certainly tell people this before they spend the money.
Old 10-27-2015, 6:09 PM

Quote:
There hasn't been anymore of an influx in applications. There is one guy who does background checks and he only works two days a week. Few of my friends are on their 5th month waiting and another is approaching 6. One guy to do background checks is crazy. They should certainly tell people this before they spend the money.
Anyone up for a lawsuit? They are going over the statutory 90 days allowed in the PC.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=26150-26225

26205. The licensing authority shall give written notice to the applicant indicating if the license under this article is approved or denied. The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later. If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement was not satisfied.

Even if the DOJ is taking 60 days, the IA still only has 90 days total to respond with an answer. If the DOJ is answering in 61 or greater days, then they only have 30 days after the DOJ response.

So in the case of them not responding for 5 months, the only legal way that can happen is if the DOJ is taking 4 months to respond.

The other game they might be playing is not submitting the application to the DOJ right away and sitting on it. Does anyone know if it is instantaneous when the Live Scan is done on the application submission/appointment day? In other words, does doing the Live Scan immediately kick off the DoJ process, or is there a follow-up paper trail that the IA has to submit along with it?
Old 10-28-2015, 3:34 PM
Calguns Addict

DOJ completes BSIS Security licenses in 10 business days right now. The criminal history check can't be all that different. The Sheriff can't be held responsible for that but for his part he should be. I'm only at 90 days in mid Nov. my class starts tomorrow
Old 10-28-2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
DOJ completes BSIS Security licenses in 10 business days right now. The criminal history check can't be all that different. The Sheriff can't be held responsible for that but for his part he should be. I'm only at 90 days in mid Nov. my class starts tomorrow
The IA can be held responsible via a law suit as they are violating the PC. The hardest problem is that before the case is heard, the person will have their license. I'm not a lawyer, but I wonder if a case can continue with all of the current people pending a permit and over 90 days that want to join the law suit?
Old 10-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Code

In reading this code the Sheriff could comply with the law with a simple email stating the application is still in process and not denied or approved. It merely says they must give notice. That notice could state "denied until investigation is complete" and it would comply with the law - which sucks but if his lawyer were advising him - that's all he'd have to do

Quote:
Anyone up for a lawsuit? They are going over the statutory 90 days allowed in the PC.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=26150-26225

26205. The licensing authority shall give written notice to the applicant indicating if the license under this article is approved or denied. The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later. If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement was not satisfied.

Even if the DOJ is taking 60 days, the IA still only has 90 days total to respond with an answer. If the DOJ is answering in 61 or greater days, then they only have 30 days after the DOJ response.

So in the case of them not responding for 5 months, the only legal way that can happen is if the DOJ is taking 4 months to respond.

The other game they might be playing is not submitting the application to the DOJ right away and sitting on it. Does anyone know if it is instantaneous when the Live Scan is done on the application submission/appointment day? In other words, does doing the Live Scan immediately kick off the DoJ process, or is there a follow-up paper trail that the IA has to submit along with it?
Old 10-29-2015, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
In reading this code the Sheriff could comply with the law with a simple email stating the application is still in process and not denied or approved. It merely says they must give notice. That notice could state "denied until investigation is complete" and it would comply with the law - which sucks but if his lawyer were advising him - that's all he'd have to do
Uh, no, the law states that the IA must notify you of either approved or denied within that time frame. It does not say they can blow you off and give you a maybe, until they see fit to approve or deny.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:33 PM

I disagree. The notice is a binary response, either approved or denied.

But right now we need to spend our time and money fighting Gavin. Get signed up if you are not already:

https://www.fpcsadc.org/
Old 10-29-2015, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Default all they must say is "denied" for now

The code doesn't say that; it says they must notify you of approval or denial and state a reason for the denial. So they send you a notice at 90 days:

90 Day Notice: Denied
Reason: We have not completed our background check
Appeal: Not necessary until we complete the background check

Quote:
Uh, no, the law states that the IA must notify you of either approved or denied within that time frame. It does not say they can blow you off and give you a maybe, until they see fit to approve or deny.
Old 10-29-2015, 1:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
The code doesn't say that; it says they must notify you of approval or denial and state a reason for the denial. So they send you a notice at 90 days:

90 Day Notice: Denied
Reason: We have not completed our background check
Appeal: Not necessary until we complete the background check
" They must notify you of approval or denial and state a reason for the denial" Not having completed a background check is not a reason for denial, it's an excuse to delay applications. The problem is, many applicants have been waiting for 5+ months with no updates and some are approaching 6 months, which is a violation of the law and they can be held accountable
Old 11-01-2015, 1:29 PM

I'm waiting for the phone call myself... I'm 3.5 months into it here... I was told 60-90days... Called in at 90 day mark and they said they are 2 weeks behind. I just hit the 2 weeks behind mark last Friday. So we will see

(FYI) I took the CCW class and turned in Cert. as well....I have a Clean background.
Old 11-02-2015, 8:38 AM

I'm on my 4 1/2 month and no call yet either. I've called and they indicated that the 1 officer who works part time is on Aug paperwork (Livescan). She indicated that my paperwork got returned from DOJ on Sept, which I did in June. So I'm guessing maybe another month for people who did it in June.
Old 11-04-2015, 8:46 AM

Timeline update... I scheduled my appointment in Jan-2015 and the first date available then was Dec-2015. They had some cancellations and I rescheduled for Jun 15 and turned in my application. I just had my interview last week on Oct 28. The detective I interviewed with said he was forwarding to the Sheriff and it would take 2-4 weeks. 10 months so far and still waiting, but at least it is getting close.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I hit 90 days today; no clue where I stand on anything, no communications from them regarding state live scan or anything
Old 11-10-2015, 1:27 PM

Does anyone know if you have to list the carry guns at the time you turn in your initial application or can you list them later? I know I'll need them for the 16hr course, but I just don't want to rush out and get something now if I have a few months to wait until approved. I tried calling but I got voicemail and I'm curious