Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-31-2011, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1026 View Post
So next week I'm moving to Riverbank.
One of the things on my list of things to do is get my CCW. Should I call for an appointment 1st then when I get a date take my class? Or take the class then call?
Also do any of you have info on where to take the class?
Thanks guys.
Technically, I think you should be able to schedule an appointment before you take your class, but they would not let me do that, so I would just take a class then schedule an appointment with the Sherriff Office. The process will take awhile.

There are several qualified places to take the class as the one offered above, I took mine from http://www.tridentfirearmsacademy.com/
Old 07-10-2011, 7:18 PM

Possible changes ahead for Turlock, and Tracy. I know that Calguns at least sent a Sunshine letter to Turlock PD, but it doesn't sound like anything changed yet. Perhaps this will help Turlock?

http://www.turlockcitynews.com/index...&Itemid=26

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable, what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
Possible changes ahead for Turlock, and Tracy. I know that Calguns at least sent a Sunshine letter to Turlock PD, but it doesn't sound like anything changed yet. Perhaps this will help Turlock?

http://www.turlockcitynews.com/index...&Itemid=26
Stanislaus county sheriff is issuing permits; this includes turlock residents. However reports of applications indirectly not being accepted due to no available current appointments seem to be an issue.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:04 AM

Ok... Here's my CCW story and hopefully it helps you guys out.

(Note: I've had my CCW for a few months now so timelines are probably a little bit longer)

So, when initially making the decision to apply for my permit, I took all the necessary steps to have things in order. I got all the information from Brandon and knew basically what needed to be done.

The First Call

On my first call, I tried to play hardball and get them to follow the rules. Some of the rules that they are breaking -- according to the law -- are the initial fees and requiring that you take a CCW class before scheduling an appt with them.

I tried reading them the laws as they're written but they wouldn't budge. I wanted to get my CCW so I caved and followed their rules instead of fighting it too hard.

I caved an they told me to take the class and call back once I was done to schedule an appointment.

Tip: Be friendly and don't try to teach them the law because they won't budge and you might piss somebody off. Let Calguns fight that battle when the time is right

The CCW Class

So when going to schedule a class, I noticed that EVERYBODY was full. Booked for weeks, and months in some cases. The only place that I could find a class was at Weapons Training School.

http://www.weaponstrainingschool.com/

This was an excellent class. They were very friendly, extremely helpful, and surprisingly relaxed with guns. Just about every firearms class that I've been to had very uptight instructors, but these guys were not like that at all. And they pride themselves in this.

I really recommend the quick trip to Jamestown to take their class. As far as the other, more local, classes go. I've heard nothing but good things about them too from people who have gone to them. Judging by how busy they were when I was looking for a class, I'm sure they're top notch too.

Scheduling The Appointment

After I took the CCW class, I immediately called to make an appointment. This was good because the class is good for 90 days and my appt was scheduled for 89 days out.

Be sure to call and make an appointment as soon as you finish your CCW class.

They asked if I had completed the CCW application and a few other questions. Here's how I answered -- along with the legally "proper" answers that I was given by Brandon.

a. Q: Are you a resident of Stanislaus County? A: Yes.

b. Q. Is your residence address current with the DMV? A: Yes.

c. Q. If your gun registered in the current DOJ system in your or your spouse’s name? A: Yes

(Legally Correct Answer For This Question: I’m not sure, but the registration status of the listed handguns is immaterial to this application. The statutes surrounding carry permits, and applications for carry permits, do not require registration and the State has expressly preempted the field of firearm registration.)

d. Q: Have your completed your firearm training? A: Yes

(Legally Correct Answer For This Question: Answer as appropriate. If no, be sure to state that you will do so within 90 days as outlined in the Sheriff’s policy.)

e. Q: Do you need your CCW for employment purposes? A: No.

f. Q: Do you own a business? A: My status as a business owner isn’t material to this application because I’m not seeking an employment-based CCW.

g. Q: Are you a BSIS card holder? A: No

(NOTE: Only respond as per the above if it is accurate and truthful. Always give truthful answers or remain silent. If you could not answer per the above truthfully, let me know and we’ll determine the appropriate way to proceed for your circumstances.)

After answering the questions, they went ahead and scheduled my appt. The wait felt like it was taking forever, but then I got a call from the Sheriffs Dept. They had a cancelled appointment and asked if I could make it about 15 days before my previously scheduled one. You can guess what I said .

The Initial Appointment

The initial appointment was pretty simple.

Bring in a completed CCW application, proof of CCW class, get finger printed, and pay up sucka. I had everything fully completed and ready to turn in.

My good cause was "Personal Propection outside the home" and the total fee this visit was $115.00 They accept check or credit if I remember correctly. No food stamps allowed .

**This Part Is Important**

One of the things they asked me while I was at the first appointment was "Is this a work related CCW?" I told them no and they asked me to write that on the application.

I'm not sure how I should have gone about this. It was not work related so I was telling the truth but should I have told them "no" when they asked me to write that on the application? Did they do this to anybody else?

Moving on.

At the end of the appointment, they told me that it would be several weeks before I hear a yes or no, and that I would get a call or visit from a Sheriff for a quick interview.

Tip: Be friendly and dress well. Don't come in with a bad attitude or looking like a bum. This is your first impression so don't screw it up.

Interview From The Sheriff

The wait was agonizing but not as long as I expected.

A few weeks later I got a call from the Sheriff for an over-the-phone interview. He was a friendly guy and I didn't feel like he was trying to trick me or anything crazy.

He just asked a few simple questions about my past, about how I feel about guns, etc. I answered honestly, friendly, and respectfully. It really sounded like he simply wanted to make sure I wasn't insane. He said thank you and ended the call.

Finally, a few weeks later...

Tip: Again, be friendly and don't get overly nervous. Don't try to dodge questions or sound suspicious. They're just trying to make sure that you're not a goofball.

My CCW Got Approved!!!

They approved my CCW and I made a B line for the Sheriffs office. Once I got there it was time to pay up again. Eighty more dollars and they handed me my permit.

Total Fees: $115.00 (initial app and fingerprinting) + $80 (To get the card) = $195 plus whatever your CCW course costs.

Not all was good though.

They put a restriction on my CCW stating that the CCW is "NOT VALID DURING THE COURSE AND SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT WITH XXXXX REALTY."

That sucks because even though I wasn't going for a work related permit, going in and out of vacant homes is probably one of the most likely times that I'll need it.

Now I'm not sure why they put this restriction which brings me to...

Some Questions That I Have For The Pro's

1. What should have I done -- and what should others do -- when they asked me to write "Not a work related permit" on my CCW application?

2. Do you think that was the reason for them putting the restriction on my CCW?

3. Is there any way that I can get the restriction removed?

4. Has anybody else run into the same problem?

I hope my detailed overview of the process helps to answer some questions. I also hope that it encourages more people to go apply.

Now that there aren't any unknown's regarding the process, are you going to get off the fence -- like I did -- and go apply?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 AM

I forgot to subscribe to this thread and don't know how to do it without a new reply... You can delete this.
Old 09-12-2011, 7:26 PM
Banned

I am only going on speculation here, but many employers strictly forbid the carrying of weapons, and by stating it wasn't for work explicitly means you won't and cannot carry during work relations... say if you ever DID have to use it while at work.

To remove that from your CCW, first call the sherriff's Dept and ask, and second, it might nit be a bad idea to see what your company policies are regarding firearms. If your superiors are cool, get a letter stating so.

Not sure if anything I said will help, but it's a start from a layman.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write Winger View Post
...many employers strictly forbid the carrying of weapons...
Luckily, the owner of my real estate office has no problems with me carrying and has no rules against it at all. In fact, she actually said she feels better if I DO carry.

Now, my understanding is that, if I have permission, then I'm allowed to carry at my place of business correct -- or office? The problem for me comes when I'm out of the office and showing homes. It sounds like doing this while carrying would be in violation of my CCW, even if I had permission, since it isn't at the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write Winger View Post
To remove that from your CCW, first call the sherriff's Dept and ask, and second, it might nit be a bad idea to see what your company policies are regarding firearms. If your superiors are cool, get a letter stating so.

Not sure if anything I said will help, but it's a start from a layman.
This sounds like the best way to go about it. I really like the idea of getting a letter stating that my company has no policies against legally carrying a firearm. I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 09-29-2011, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNinerFan View Post
Once my house sells I will be moving to Turlock. I am looking forward to applying for my CCW once I meet the residency requirement.

You'll be welcomed with open arms!! Let us know when you make the move.
Old 10-01-2011, 1:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Check this out, Stanislaus!

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/blo...showed-up.html

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 10-01-2011, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

I'm curious about why a lot of energy is being expended in a county that is, for all practical purposes, "shall issue".
Old 10-01-2011, 4:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
I'm curious about why a lot of energy is being expended in a county that is, for all practical purposes, "shall issue".
Stanislaus is not "shall-issue" and doesn't, apparently, consider applicants' rights of self defense and due process things worth making a priority. Until it and every licensing authority is de jure "shall-issue", and respectful of constitutional limits on time, costs, and other burdens, we'll continue with our Initiative efforts.

Our audits are of every county, and that's one reason we've successfully argued (in court) that our requests are not intended to be "harassing", and that our interest in the records is substantiated by the broad public interest of offering data for authorities across the state by an organization (CGF) that offers itself as a statewide org.

Stanislaus, while better than some others, has a number of policy and procedures which need to be remedied. To the extent that remains true, so goes my interest in their system.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 10-03-2011, 4:58 AM
Veteran Member

Curiosity satisfied, thank you!
Old 10-10-2011, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPhipps View Post
Ok... Here's my CCW story and hopefully it helps you guys out.

(Note: I've had my CCW for a few months now so timelines are probably a little bit longer)

So, when initially making the decision to apply for my permit, I took all the necessary steps to have things in order. I got all the information from Brandon and knew basically what needed to be done.

The First Call

On my first call, I tried to play hardball and get them to follow the rules. Some of the rules that they are breaking -- according to the law -- are the initial fees and requiring that you take a CCW class before scheduling an appt with them.

I tried reading them the laws as they're written but they wouldn't budge. I wanted to get my CCW so I caved and followed their rules instead of fighting it too hard.

I caved an they told me to take the class and call back once I was done to schedule an appointment.

Tip: Be friendly and don't try to teach them the law because they won't budge and you might piss somebody off. Let Calguns fight that battle when the time is right

The CCW Class

So when going to schedule a class, I noticed that EVERYBODY was full. Booked for weeks, and months in some cases. The only place that I could find a class was at Weapons Training School.

http://www.weaponstrainingschool.com/

This was an excellent class. They were very friendly, extremely helpful, and surprisingly relaxed with guns. Just about every firearms class that I've been to had very uptight instructors, but these guys were not like that at all. And they pride themselves in this.

I really recommend the quick trip to Jamestown to take their class. As far as the other, more local, classes go. I've heard nothing but good things about them too from people who have gone to them. Judging by how busy they were when I was looking for a class, I'm sure they're top notch too.

Scheduling The Appointment

After I took the CCW class, I immediately called to make an appointment. This was good because the class is good for 90 days and my appt was scheduled for 89 days out.

Be sure to call and make an appointment as soon as you finish your CCW class.

They asked if I had completed the CCW application and a few other questions. Here's how I answered -- along with the legally "proper" answers that I was given by Brandon.

a. Q: Are you a resident of Stanislaus County? A: Yes.

b. Q. Is your residence address current with the DMV? A: Yes.

c. Q. If your gun registered in the current DOJ system in your or your spouse’s name? A: Yes

(Legally Correct Answer For This Question: I’m not sure, but the registration status of the listed handguns is immaterial to this application. The statutes surrounding carry permits, and applications for carry permits, do not require registration and the State has expressly preempted the field of firearm registration.)

d. Q: Have your completed your firearm training? A: Yes

(Legally Correct Answer For This Question: Answer as appropriate. If no, be sure to state that you will do so within 90 days as outlined in the Sheriff’s policy.)

e. Q: Do you need your CCW for employment purposes? A: No.

f. Q: Do you own a business? A: My status as a business owner isn’t material to this application because I’m not seeking an employment-based CCW.

g. Q: Are you a BSIS card holder? A: No

(NOTE: Only respond as per the above if it is accurate and truthful. Always give truthful answers or remain silent. If you could not answer per the above truthfully, let me know and we’ll determine the appropriate way to proceed for your circumstances.)

After answering the questions, they went ahead and scheduled my appt. The wait felt like it was taking forever, but then I got a call from the Sheriffs Dept. They had a cancelled appointment and asked if I could make it about 15 days before my previously scheduled one. You can guess what I said .

The Initial Appointment

The initial appointment was pretty simple.

Bring in a completed CCW application, proof of CCW class, get finger printed, and pay up sucka. I had everything fully completed and ready to turn in.

My good cause was "Personal Propection outside the home" and the total fee this visit was $115.00 They accept check or credit if I remember correctly. No food stamps allowed .

**This Part Is Important**

One of the things they asked me while I was at the first appointment was "Is this a work related CCW?" I told them no and they asked me to write that on the application.

I'm not sure how I should have gone about this. It was not work related so I was telling the truth but should I have told them "no" when they asked me to write that on the application? Did they do this to anybody else?

Moving on.

At the end of the appointment, they told me that it would be several weeks before I hear a yes or no, and that I would get a call or visit from a Sheriff for a quick interview.

Tip: Be friendly and dress well. Don't come in with a bad attitude or looking like a bum. This is your first impression so don't screw it up.

Interview From The Sheriff

The wait was agonizing but not as long as I expected.

A few weeks later I got a call from the Sheriff for an over-the-phone interview. He was a friendly guy and I didn't feel like he was trying to trick me or anything crazy.

He just asked a few simple questions about my past, about how I feel about guns, etc. I answered honestly, friendly, and respectfully. It really sounded like he simply wanted to make sure I wasn't insane. He said thank you and ended the call.

Finally, a few weeks later...

Tip: Again, be friendly and don't get overly nervous. Don't try to dodge questions or sound suspicious. They're just trying to make sure that you're not a goofball.

My CCW Got Approved!!!

They approved my CCW and I made a B line for the Sheriffs office. Once I got there it was time to pay up again. Eighty more dollars and they handed me my permit.

Total Fees: $115.00 (initial app and fingerprinting) + $80 (To get the card) = $195 plus whatever your CCW course costs.

Not all was good though.

They put a restriction on my CCW stating that the CCW is "NOT VALID DURING THE COURSE AND SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT WITH XXXXX REALTY."

That sucks because even though I wasn't going for a work related permit, going in and out of vacant homes is probably one of the most likely times that I'll need it.

Now I'm not sure why they put this restriction which brings me to...

Some Questions That I Have For The Pro's

1. What should have I done -- and what should others do -- when they asked me to write "Not a work related permit" on my CCW application?

2. Do you think that was the reason for them putting the restriction on my CCW?

3. Is there any way that I can get the restriction removed?

4. Has anybody else run into the same problem?

I hope my detailed overview of the process helps to answer some questions. I also hope that it encourages more people to go apply.

Now that there aren't any unknown's regarding the process, are you going to get off the fence -- like I did -- and go apply?
Congrats on the CCW. Your experience documented was my experience exactly (with the exception of where I received training) I also received a restriction on mine concerning carry at work. My job does not allow guns in the workplace...period, so I didn't really have a problem with it.

I do remember a question the sheriff asked me.."do you need to carry in the comission of your employment?" I answered "no", thus the restriction. I'm wondering if I had answered "yes", if the following questions might have been different? Wonder if they might restrict to carry only while on your job?
I will tip my cap to the Stan Co Sheriff office, the human experience was excellent, very professional and helpful. I do know they are very short staffed (no an excuse for them, just an observation) but they do make the experience less of a pain the butt than alot of other government interactions. Now if CGF can just take on DMV......

Last edited by Drawman; 10-10-2011 at 7:47 PM.. Reason: punctuation...no child left behind
Old 10-11-2011, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

I don't get this business of putting on restrictions regarding place of work. I got asked the same question when I applied and said "No" and got no restrictions. Strange.
Old 02-17-2012, 6:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Stanislaus County Good Cause statements, CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here
Old 02-17-2012, 8:13 AM

going to take my CCW course

also heard from a LEO that the sheriff is wanting to make the CCW training requirement a 16hr course (currently its 8hrs)

anyone eles heard this! or is it FUD?
Quote:
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by zum; 02-28-2012 at 7:45 PM..
Old 02-17-2012, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum View Post
going to take my CCW course on the 3rd
also heard from a LEO that the sheriff is wanting to make the CCW training requirement a 16hr course (currently its 8hrs) anyone eles heard this! or is it FUD?
If you heard it from a flatfoot its probably FUD!
Old 02-18-2012, 2:11 PM

double post sorry...
Quote:
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by zum; 02-18-2012 at 3:50 PM..
Old 02-18-2012, 2:12 PM

guess it was true
Quote:
Old 02-18-2012, 3:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll be asking the SCSO.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 AM

I need to get mine done as soon as I get called to return to work.
Old 03-01-2012, 7:59 PM
Banned

Man, I dropped off my application on January 9th and still haven't gotten my phone interview. Is anyone else experiencing an extremely long wait time for the call?

I'm wondering if they lost my application.
Old 03-01-2012, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
I'll be asking the SCSO.
http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/conc...ml?download=30

RENEWAL QUESTIONAIRE states 16 hours.

Is a state application a requirement for renewal?
Old 03-02-2012, 6:15 PM

16 Hrs. for exposed firearm, as in loaded open carry??? The form is a bit confusing.
Old 03-03-2012, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geologist View Post
16 Hrs. for exposed firearm, as in loaded open carry??? The form is a bit confusing.
whoa, good catch. I didn't see that. I don't think this form can even be a requirement.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 AM

appointments are 4+ months out

just reserved my appointment yesterday

www.scsdonline.com/ccwappointment
Quote:

Last edited by zum; 03-04-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Old 03-05-2012, 12:19 PM

I'm sure glad I went thru all this late last year and didn't have to wait 3+ months for just a appointment!
Old 03-07-2012, 8:43 PM

Glad you guys have been posting here about the delays in appointments. I'm up for renewal in September and made my appointment in July, that was the first available slot. Should be enough time, but wouldn't have caught it if you guys weren't posting here...
Old 03-07-2012, 8:56 PM

ive got a question for everyone here...

i was looking over the application and following the EXAMPLES given in the calguns.org PDF. file and was wondering if some of you that have went thru the process could answer some questions i have

the application says the following quoted below:

Quote:
• Sections 6, 7, and 8 must be completed in the presence of an official of the licensing agency.
• Review Section 7 and be prepared to answer these questions orally. Do not write anything in Section 7 unless
specifically directed to do so by the licensing agency.
did you have to respond to these sections orally? or did they except these sections pre filled out with the answers typed in?

im kinda nervous about having to orally recite these entry's with all that legal verbiage that calguns suggests in answering these questions

http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloa...p_Fillable.pdf

--- see PDF. pages 5-15-16-17
Quote:

Last edited by zum; 03-08-2012 at 4:53 PM..
Old 03-17-2012, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a question, if i only live in turlock part of the year, but the house there is mine, can i apply for a CCW there??
/thread.

ΦΑ
Old 03-17-2012, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1222 View Post
I have a question, if i only live in turlock part of the year, but the house there is mine, can i apply for a CCW there??
be careful lieing about residency is a Felony IIRC and is not taken lightly

so be sure to tread lightly.

good luck
Quote:
Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum View Post
ive got a question for everyone here...

i was looking over the application and following the EXAMPLES given in the calguns.org PDF. file and was wondering if some of you that have went thru the process could answer some questions i have

the application says the following quoted below:
Quote:
• Sections 6, 7, and 8 must be completed in the presence of an official of the licensing agency.
• Review Section 7 and be prepared to answer these questions orally. Do not write anything in Section 7 unless
specifically directed to do so by the licensing agency.

did you have to respond to these sections orally? or did they except these sections pre filled out with the answers typed in?

im kinda nervous about having to orally recite these entry's with all that legal verbiage that calguns suggests in answering these questions

http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloa...p_Fillable.pdf

--- see PDF. pages 5-15-16-17
My appointment at the Stanislaus SO was yesterday and I wasn’t sure about this myself. I took two applications in with me. One had section 7 blank and the other had section 7 filled out. It turns out that they wanted the application with section 7 filled out.

Last edited by StanCo; 03-17-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Old 03-17-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanCo View Post
My appointment at the Stanislaus SO was yesterday and I wasn’t sure about this myself. I took two applications in with me. One had section 7 blank and the other had section filled out. It turns out that they wanted the application with section 7 filled out.
THANK YOU so much for replying! silly I've been sweating this minor detail haha. so what did they have to say about all the legal verbiage?
Quote:
Old 03-24-2012, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

Almost time for me to renew mine. It's been a good almost 2 years of CCWing
I need to call to see what's required to renew at this point.
Old 03-24-2012, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
Almost time for me to renew mine. It's been a good almost 2 years of CCWing
I need to call to see what's required to renew at this point.
Keep us posted.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Called in last week to set up a renewal appointment - They scheduled me for early June, which is nice as my CCW expires in July.
$57 to renew + $20 fee when approved. May take the renewal course (4 hours) before or after you are approved.
They also said that appointments for new applications are now in December, and require a 16 hour course.
Old 04-22-2012, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
Called in last week to set up a renewal appointment - They scheduled me for early June, which is nice as my CCW expires in July.
$57 to renew + $20 fee when approved. May take the renewal course (4 hours) before or after you are approved.
They also said that appointments for new applications are now in December, and require a 16 hour course.
16 Hours is only required if you take your training after July 1st, regardless of when your appointment is. I called and asked.
Old 04-23-2012, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchy View Post
16 Hours is only required if you take your training after July 1st, regardless of when your appointment is. I called and asked.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Though the training is only good for 90 days, so if you haven't done it yet, expect to be required to take the 16 hour course.
Old 04-23-2012, 9:55 AM

They waive the 90 requirement because they know they are taking too long to give appointments. If you can get into a class before July 1st do it.
Old 06-04-2012, 8:46 AM

So far so good. Wife and I turned in application on May 16th and had phone interviews today. Interview was painless. Deputy was polite and seemed genuine. Said I would probably have a restriction of "not during course of employment", but I work on a federal installation so doesn't both me too much. Got fingers crossed. We have not had CCW class yet but have it scheduled for the 18th.

Side story: Scheduled appt online many months ago. Put it in my calendar for 0900. Sitting on toilet at 0810 happened to read my email and saw appt was for 0800-0900. Luckily I was already on toilet when said "oh $h**!" I immediately went online to see the next available appt. Apr 3rd!!!!! Said "oh $h**!" again (still on toilet) Finished up and then called up the office. Told them I missed my appt but I can be there in 20 minutes or come in with my wife at her 1200 appt. Luckily the clerk said that 1200 would be better for her anyway. *big sigh of relief*

To make things worse, our babysitter fell through. We had to take a 23 month old and a 3 month old with us. Went to the wrong building first. Ended up being late. Didnt fill out sections 5,6, and 7 (cause it said to do it in the presence of the interviewing deputy) but the clerk said it should have been done. Then my wife's paperwork got mixed with mine while the clerk was going through it frustrating her and she'd told us to fix it then let her know when it was done and she'd come back. So she wasn't very pleased with us as applicants. But things got better later after talking with her about her grandkids.

I cant say the experience was bad cause we're the ones that caused the delays.

Will post with updates... Thanks CalGuns