Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-16-2018, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

You need to be a north county rancher with over 500 acres to receive a CCW in SLO county. Am I right Hopalong?

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 12-16-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
You need to be a north county rancher with over 500 acres to receive a CCW in SLO county. Am I right Hopalong?
You don't need to have 500 acres, but rural is the key word.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
I'm not the one having to resort to Ignore List.
Unfortunately for you, you replied before I did that.

I'm not the one resorting to deleting his posts.... See how the link to your post I quoted is now dead in post #422 of mine.

Quote:
Talk about worthless posts, based on ZERO knowledge of SLO county.
No, but others in SLO do. Your fight is with them, not with me.... (To others: notice how Hopalong doesn't fight with them, regardless of which side they're on! )

Quote:
As far what the deal is in SLO county, anyone feel free to message me, I'll fill you in.
While Hopalong may think he knows it all and what he says is the final word, to objective readers of CGN, here's what others have said about getting CCWs in SLO. For myself and how the map makers think the colors should go, we have to listen to BOTH sides, without prejudice, to "reverse engineer" as best we can a sheriff's current Good Cause policy & practice. Since not may people have posted their experiences this year (vs last year when many did), I'm thinking we should take SLO back to yellow given how they had removed the city PD prior denial requirement before we switch SLO to light green and then brought it back after we switched it (and that was 1 of the 3 reasons we made the switch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
UPDATE: Went in for my interview this morning at the Sheriffs. Had my picture taken, paid my fees, did Livescan fingerprinting and sat down with the under Sheriff for my interview. I actually held my permit for a few seconds to verify all of my personal info was correct on it but it wont be date stamped until the livescan approval number comes in and he told me 8-10 weeks for that.
Its just like buying a firearm; you hold it in your hands, pay for it but then have the 10 day wait except this is 70 days. I guess ill hurry up and wait.
Quote:
I just got the call to come in and pick up my permit. Ill be heading out in the morning to pick it up.
Quote:
Im county so applied through the Sheriff only.
I deliver large sums to rural areas where law enforcement response times are greatly increased and cell phones have no signal. This combination was good cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumT View Post
Interviewed 7/18
Got the call to pick up 11/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongski View Post
I supervise inmate trustees and if necessary, discipline them. If i write them up, it can lead to loss in visitation, commissary, and their good time, work time.
Before i even thought of applying for a ccw, i asked for a meeting with the undersheriff. He pretty much gave me my reason: possible retaliation from a disciplined inmate." Of course I had to elaborate a little bit more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongski View Post
Update:
I received a letter today from the SO saying I was tentatively approved, and needed to take a class (in which i already did, and qualified) and schedule an appointment with the undersheriff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
I recommend Curio relic or any other FFL for good cause.

Parkinson is a good Sheriff who does issue. Maybe not for self defense yet... but I don't see him losing reelection. He has tons of support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodrftr View Post
Went for my interview a awhile back and the officer said he was issuing me a permit without any restrictions. ...
Quote:
Current Sheriff is extremely pro-CCW.

I WOULD NOT BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER CANDIDATE!!!!

He hired extra officers to help in just issuing CCW. Started another department.

If the cities deny you of a CCW. The sheriff department will review your app and can overrule.

I suggest supporting this current sheriff!!!
Quote:
BS. He might issue to rich north county ranchers and Farmers. That's it. Not regular people.
Quote:
No many regular people. I know many and meet many at the classes. When I was at the interview. 2 people came to pick up their permits and I saw a stack of permits waiting.
Quote:
I was approved for carrying large sums of money and driving exotic cars. Most of the people I know got theirs because they live in unincorporated areas. Mostly self defense if your asking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
Yes, that's exactly it. If you live outside of an incorporated city and far enough away from a sheriff substation that they feel results in an extended response time you can get a permit. You live in a city and the sheriff will not issue barring other factors.
Quote:
Got the call from SLO SHERIFFS to come pick up my CCW. The DOJ are knocking the livescans out she said. Took 29 days from interview
Quote:
I don't know about who they issue too, as I am a business owner. But the people I qualified with were all average people. An older maybe retired couple, and about 8 other men and women. In 8 hour class and qualifying in pairs. You get to know each other. 3 of the people were from my town. Just average joes. Now I don't know if they passed their class or the interview. But my guess was they did as they were pre-approved. Though one woman was having problems qualifying on the range. On the packet you fill out you need to state the reason you are applying. I assume if they pre-approved you the reason was good enough.
Quote:
Just a side note on my just cause. They did not ask to see my business license or show proof that I even carry large sums of money. I think they look more at moral fiber and that you currently a clean criminal record.
Quote:
To Paladin
Thanks for your diligence and good work. I'll keep you posted on my Area. I think they may need to rethink the California map for SLO CO.
Quote:
Yes. Slo should be under "reasonable good cause required ".
continued

Last edited by Paladin; 12-16-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Old 12-16-2018, 10:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango-Alpha View Post
Over the weekend while visiting a gun store in AG, I was speaking to a customer who was interested in an M&P 9mm Shield. Owning an M&P 40 myself, I offered my input and endorsement.

Being that the Shield is compact, I surmised. that the gun was for CCW, which as we discussed further turned out to be the case. I mentioned having held a permit many years ago myself while living out of state, but since moving back CA, I surrendered all hope of ever obtaining one because so few applications for CCW are approved.

Then he said, “ You should apply. I got mine. It was easy.” or something to that affect. That stunned me. We didn’t really go in to what he did for a living or what his good cause was to be issued a CCW as it wasn’t the time or place standing in the middle of a gun store while he was trying to wrap things up with the store owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
You didn't have one while living in OC? They pretty much switched to shall issue 2 years ago after peruta. I know a few in AG with them, go for it. If you are out in the unincorporated area of town its a given. Self defense should be passable in the city itself as well.
Quote:
Your chances are MUCH higher with SLO Sheriff than with AGPD. I live in a city nearby you, and had to be denied by the Chief first, before going to the Sheriff and being granted my CCW. As far as I have heard, AGPD does not issue very many CCW's. You lucked out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlancer View Post
1. Second week of Sept. 2017: Completed online application, submitted initial payment of $116.58 and scheduled interview appointment (first available was a month out).

2. Next day I called Rangemaster in SLO and scheduled my CCW class. ***DO this well in advance because depending on when you call the next class could be a month out, like mine was.

3. I week later I received an email stating that "we are processing your request for a CCW permit, in order to continue the process we will need a More Detailed Cause Statement".
***THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: Many on this thread seem to think that it is OK to give out BAD advice or they are AFRAID of saying too much so they limit their responses. That is both lame and stupid. I am not going to go into that any further. Now, what you NEED to do is to have a very thorough, exhaustive and well written Good Cause Statement. Listing self defense because you live in a bad area will not suffice. I would take as much time as you need to think carefully and list at LEAST 5 reasons why you need a CCW and write a brief paragraph for explaining each reason.
***I am not listing my Good Cause Statement here because, well, they apply to me not to you. But if you want ask my OPINION of YOUR statement then just PM me.
After I did that and resubmitted online - the Sheriffs office had nothing more to say about my Good Cause Statement.

4. Second week in Oct. 2017: Took and passed the CCW class (a week before my interview with the SLO Sheriffs Dept.)

5. Third week in Oct. 2017: CCW interview and LiveScan fingerprinting at SLO County Sheriffs Dept on HWY 1. I arrived dressed business casual. The interviewer greeted me and I shook their hand. We talked about the CCW class I took and what I learned, the most important lesson being that I would ONLY use my weapon as a LAST RESORT. If I can run away then I will. We reviewed my Good Cause Statement and discussed each reason.
Then I was asked what I would do in certain situation like, "What do you do when pulled over by the police while carrying." "Where can you NOT carry.", etc.
That was the first 30 minutes. The last 15 minutes was spent discussing my holster, carry method, the importance of FULLY concealing your weapon and not printing or accidentally brandishing. That was it. I went home feeling confident because I had prepared BEFORE the interview on a full range of topics.

6. Second week in Nov. 2017. Received email stating, "Your application for a Concealed Carry Weapon License has been approved. Based on the training and instruction you received as part of the permit process and the personal interview with the investigator who processed your application, I am sure you understand the responsibilities commensurate with your permit."

7. The VERY NEXT day (LOL) I went to SLO Sheriffs Dept. to make my final payment ($95.00? Sorry I forgot the exact amount because it was cash only) and picked up my CCW!

***The CCW issued by the SLO County Sheriffs Dept is a simple paper card (roughly 3.25" X 4.5"). It is not durable in any way so I suggest you fold it in half and have it laminated. Just be careful where you put the crease. I folded mine exactly below where it lists my DOB, Hgt, Wgt, etc.
I then trimmed off a tiny bit of the white space using an exacto blade and a ruler. ***Please check both sides before making a cut so that you are only cutting off unused white space.***

Before any loud mouths here start barking that you cannot "modify" your CCW, the person at the SLO Sheriffs Office who handed me my card said that I could do so to make it fit my wallet as long as I only cut off unused white space. So just pin your lip, bub.

So the entire process took exactly 3 months and it would have been even faster had I not written such a short Good Cause Statement on my first attempt. I blame myself for taking bad advice from some who posted on this thread and elsewhere on CG.

Anyway, good luck to all who are going through the process. Stay safe and remember to TRAIN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
It's been that way for several decades now, and does not appear to have changed. If you live in an incorporated city you will be forced to apply there first. Once denied and go back to the sheriff you get denied again because of "adequate law enforcement coverage and response times". If you want proof just read back through this thread. Want a CCW to fly your F***ing hawk on private property in the back country? No problem. Want a CCW because you work nights in a less safe area and transport valuables? F*** yourself, there's a substation 20 minutes away... deal with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Pretty much what I have heard. To quote the standard answer “...call 911”
Quote:
The conclusions you have drawn from this thread are not indicative of SLO county as a whole. I applied through local PD, got denied, and then approved through SLO sheriff. And I'm not connected in any way to the Sheriffs office nor do I fly hawks on private property.

I wouldn't make such blanket statements when you have very little facts to back them up.
Quote:
Just picked up my new permit. SLO county has not gone to the drivers license style permit yet. They have temporarily halted the switch until they can come up with a design that is in line with other counties in California so that there is no discrepancy.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'll submit that my EXPERIENCE as a long time RESIDENT of SLO county actually does contribute

I know many people that have applied, been approved, and been denied.

As far what the deal is in SLO county, anyone feel free to message me, I'll fill you in.
Quote:
Quote:
The conclusions you have drawn from this thread are not indicative of SLO county as a whole. I applied through local PD, got denied, and then approved through SLO sheriff. And I'm not connected in any way to the Sheriffs office nor do I fly hawks on private property.

I wouldn't make such blanket statements when you have very little facts to back them up.
Ha! So much for knowing "what the deal is in SLO"!

Like I said before: notice how Hopalong ignores SLO CGNers and their posts when they say they've been issued SO CCWs in a city. I provided quotes and links to CGNers who've been issued and who've been denied for CGNers to decide for themselves. I said at the time the prior city PD denial reappeared on the SLO SO website that if it hadn't gone away, we would have kept SLO yellow. (See: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=21238292) And last, as the map says, it can easily be off by 1 color.

Yet Hopalong is still picking fights with me.... Rather than wasting more time on him, who's only posts in the past 2 years in this thread have been to fight with me, I've now added him to my Ignore List (and fellow CGNers now understand why).

Quoting these here before he can delete them.

Quote:
LOL
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Laughter from "the Peanut Gallery."

If you don't have anything to contribute ....
I contributed plenty.

Lived in Slo County for 45 years.

First applied for CCW 38 years ago.

Have had (and currently have) a CCW for 20 years under 2 sheriffs.

I told you what the deal was around here, with multiple, multiple, examples.

You, who knows absolutely nothing about this county, summarily rejected everything I said.

Why do you think no-one wants to speak up here?

571 permits, according to the Undersheriff, and a population of 285,000

LOL!

Last edited by Paladin; 12-16-2018 at 12:05 PM..
Old 12-16-2018, 11:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
LOL

Typical keyboard commando

Mr. Cut&Paste

Talk about worthless posts, based on ZERO knowledge of SLO county.

They are Fake News. Based on political nonsense that you read, not reality or facts.

I'll submit that my EXPERIENCE as a long time RESIDENT of SLO county actually does contribute

I know many people that have applied, been approved, and been denied.

Easily agitated? LOL

I'm not the one having to resort and hide behind an Ignore List.

I'll take your hate all day, bring it.

Ha! Hopalong has gone back and deleted all his posts from early in 2018 where we went over all this before! I guess he forgot about them until I reminded him. There's that memory problem again....

Look who's the "keyboard commando" who's EXPERIENCE based posts are "worthless" because even he trashed them. So much for his "Contribution" to CGNers and this thread. LOL!

Fortunately, I quoted the relevant parts of his posts when I replied to them, so objective CGNers can see this for themselves. Just go to this link and scroll down.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...352790&page=11

Last edited by Paladin; 12-16-2018 at 11:50 AM..
Old 12-16-2018, 11:42 AM

LOL Mr Cut&Paste

Verbosity must make it so

I'll stand pat.

If anyone wants to see what is going on here, and where things are trending, go back to those posts

And read MY contributions.

Take them with a grain of salt.

Or listen to MR. CUT&PASTE

Last edited by Hopalong; 12-16-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Old 12-16-2018, 11:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
LOL Mr Cut&Paste

Verbosity must make it so

I'll stand pat.
Quoted before you can delete it....

Since you don't consider your own post worth keeping, I won't consider them worth reading. Life is too short to waste time.

You're now on my Ignore List.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Quoted before you can delete it....

Since you don't consider your own post worth keeping, I won't consider them worth reading. Life is too short to waste time.

You're now on my Ignore List.
Bro, you hurt my feelings. LOL

Goog grief, Mr. Verbosity wasting time? LOL!!!!!
Old 12-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Wrong.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wrong.

Was I off on the land ownership? Will 50 acres cut it? 100?

And my post isn't an attack on landowners at all. My beef is how the Sheriff gives certain people priority to defend their lives over others.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For SLO CGNers who want to do something beneficial, rather than starting needless arguments, the SLO SO's Permitium site says

Quote:
NOTE:

If you are a resident of the:

City of Arroyo Grande
City of Atascadero
City of Grover Beach
City of Morro Bay
City of Paso Robles
City of Pismo Beach
City of San Luis Obispo

you will need to contact the law enforcement agency in the city to apply for your Concealed Carry Weapon license per California Penal Code section 26155.

It does NOT mention that you can apply with the SO if your PD denies your app. IOW, they aren't saying you can apply with the SLO after a PD denial ("prior denial"), but only that you "need" to apply with your PD.

Does that mean if you are denied you cannot apply with the SO? Or that you cannot apply with the SO directly, without a prior denial? While both of those used to be illegal (so-called "reverse G"), the law was changed a few years ago and now a city PD and their SO can enter a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), saying the ONLY the PD will issue to that city's residents (as well as the traditional MOU saying that ONLY the sheriff can issue to that city's residents).

If a local resident can get in touch with the SO and make a Public Records Act (PRA) request for ALL MOUs between the SO and SLO PD's re. issuing CCWs that would be helpful to all SLO residents and this thread's OP should be updated to reflect what you find out. (Any one of the listed Mods can do that.) I'd recommend calling the Public Information Officer at (805) 781-4547 There will be a form to fill out and a slight fee (photocopying and processing), so try to get a cost estimate before submitting the PRA request form.

(Yet once again, this is more time and effort on my half that does NOT help me since I'm not in SLO.)

Last edited by Paladin; 12-16-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Old 12-16-2018, 2:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Was I off on the land ownership? Will 50 acres cut it? 100?

And my post isn't an attack on landowners at all. My beef is how the Sheriff gives certain people priority to defend their lives over others.
I'm not aware of anything in their policy stipulating land ownership being a prerequisite . Maybe you can cite that pertinent information ?

Old 12-16-2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not aware of anything in their policy stipulating land ownership being a prerequisite . Maybe you can cite that pertinent information ?

I said nothing about rural OWNERSHIP

I said nothing about being a property owner

I said rural.

All sheriffs are giving the right to protect themselves to some people over others, unless they are "shall issue"

Last edited by Hopalong; 12-16-2018 at 3:09 PM..
Old 12-16-2018, 3:14 PM

Since this forum is more active than Santa Barbara county though we are neighbors...I'm being told to apply to Santa Maria PD by officers as the new chief is very ccw friendly. I'm preparing statements now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2018, 5:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm being told to apply to Santa Maria PD by officers as the new chief is very ccw friendly. I'm preparing statements now.

That sounds like great news! I just hope it is true. Santa Maria has a population of ~110,000 out of a total for SB Co of ~425,000. IOW, if true, ~1/4th of SB Co residents now have a chance for a CCW.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria,_California
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_...ty,_California

Just looking over the PD's website briefly, I couldn't find any info re. CCWs on it on their FAQs page, Programs & Services page or Hot Topics
https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...sked-questions
https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...grams-services
https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...ces/hot-topics

ETA: I did a little searching and found:

Quote:
Records Bureau

The Records Bureau, a vital component of the Police Department, provides assistance to the public. Hours are: 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, closed Sundays and holidays. Records' personnel are the initial contact with our residents. They assist residents in obtaining information, direct them to available resources within the department and refer them to the appropriate city agencies and services. This includes providing fingerprinting services, furnishing copies of crime and traffic reports, processing permits to carry concealed weapons and conducting computer searches. In addition, Records registers sex, narcotic and arson offenders residing within the City of Santa Maria.
From: https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...pport-division CCW info is pretty much hidden (I added the bolding), with no linked CCW policy, nor state DOJ application.

Quote:
Since this forum is more active than Santa Barbara county though we are neighbors...
Please make a post about this in the Santa Barbara thread (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=352796). That thread is dead because no one posts in it. You're not posting in it because it is dead. See the "chicken and egg" problem?

If you post this potentially good news over there, more Santa Barbara CGNers will be encouraged (vs SLO CGNers in this thread), and esp Santa Maria CGNers who will apply.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-17-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Old 12-16-2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:

That sounds like great news! I just hope it is true. Santa Maria has a population of ~110,000 out of a total for SB Co of ~425,000. IOW, if true, ~1/4th of SB Co residents now have a chance for a CCW.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria,_California
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_...ty,_California

Just looking over the PD's website briefly, I couldn't find any info re. CCWs on it on their FAQs page, Programs & Services page or Hot Topics
https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...sked-questions
https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...grams-services
https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...ces/hot-topics

ETA: I did a little searching and found:

From: https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...pport-division CCW info is pretty much hidden (I added the bolding), with no linked CCW policy, nor state DOJ application.

Please make a post about this in the Santa Barbara thread (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=352796). That thread is dead because no one posts in it. You're not posting in it because it is dead. See the "chicken and egg" problem.

If you post this potentially good news over there, more Santa Barbara CGNers will be encouraged (vs SLO CGNers in this thread), and esp Santa Maria CGNers who will apply.
Thanks will do.

Old 12-17-2018, 9:15 AM

Picking up first renewal today from SLO Co. The online format was nice.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:06 PM

I'm submitting my application to City of Arroyo Grande PD tomorrow. I've been told by several people our CoP is very CCW friendly. Wish me luck, not too sure how it will go.
Old 01-08-2019, 7:17 PM

Lots of interesting info in this thread and varying takes on the process... I just received word back recently that the application was accepted and was told to take my class and schedule an interview. Anyone who’s completed the interview with SLO SO have any tips on what to prepare for? I know there’s a new undersheriff as of 2019 so I’m sure nobody has sat with him yet. Thanks.!

Last edited by BakeTownFF; 01-08-2019 at 7:45 PM.. Reason: Removed needless info
Old 01-08-2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeTownFF View Post
Lots of interesting info in this thread and varying takes on the process... I just received word back recently that the application was accepted and was told to take my class and schedule an interview. Anyone who’s completed the interview with SLO SO have any tips on what to prepare for? I know there’s a new undersheriff as of 2019 so I’m sure nobody has sat with him yet. Thanks.!
They told you to take your class before the interview? And then if they deny you you are out the couple hundred for thr class?

Old 01-08-2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
They told you to take your class before the interview? And then if they deny you you are out the couple hundred for thr class?

The email said the class must be completed before the interview. Not sure about the class but I’m almost positive they would not reimburse.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 PM

Anybody know if:

Grover Beach is set to auto-deny

and

If having existing CHLs from both TX and FL is helpful?
Old 01-13-2019, 8:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Your application was "accepted" or was your Good Cause approved? It is illegal for them to require pay of any other fees (e.g., training costs), before they tell you whether your Good Cause was approved or not. But, of course, just because they're law enforcement officers don't expect them to obey the law....

Librarian knows the exact code. PM him for details to protest, if they have that illegal requirement. If they do, you might want to contact their County Council on your own, might have to threaten getting the courts involved by requesting a judge to issue a writ of mandamus ordering them to change their CCW policy to conform to state law.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-14-2019 at 8:26 PM..
Old 01-13-2019, 8:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mikado View Post
Anybody know if:

Grover Beach is set to auto-deny

and

If having existing CHLs from both TX and FL is helpful?
What did you find out by looking around their PD's website? By contacting them via their Facebook page? By dropping by the PD and picking up a copy of their CCW Policy? They're required to have a written policy by law. PM Librarian if they resist and you need to cite the code or have a judge issue a writ of mandamus ordering them to obey the law.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-14-2019 at 8:28 PM..
Old 01-13-2019, 10:47 AM

I haven’t looked at the website. I’m just trying to find out if anyone has had any experience with Grover Beach.
Old 01-14-2019, 3:25 PM

OK, I went by GBPD (they have nothing on their website) and asked for an application. I asked the desk person (non-sworn) if GB was set to auto-deny and she said no, they are "friendly" to CCW applications.

The application still requires a GC, of course, so they aren't THAT friendly.

Still, though: anyone get a CCW from Grover Beach?
Old 01-14-2019, 5:14 PM

Talking

Quote:
BakeTown… you might want to go back and reread the letter from the SLO County Sheriff's Office. If it says that "we have reviewed and tentatively APPROVED your application", it means that your good cause was ACCEPTED and you just need to qualify and schedule an interview. The hard work is over and in my experience, the interview was nothing to worry about. The undersheriff wanted to stress the need to be a good witness when necessary and also inquired about how I was going to carry my firearms. Mr. Olivas was great but I have no details on the current undersheriff. Hope this helps!
Old 01-26-2019, 10:24 AM

I just recently went through the process with SLO SO and it was incredibly user friendly and efficient. From initial application to my permit being issued only took 5 weeks. I believe this would have been even faster but I had to resubmit my letters of reference because they were not signed or dated.

I was contacted halfway through the process and asked to take my training class before my interview. I had not received any information about pre approval but took the class anyway. The interview seemed like I was basically already approved and it was more informative in nature. We discussed permit restrictions regarding places of carry and a few scenario based questions. There was a large emphasis on the permit being for my protection and to be a good witness for others.

I did my livescan after my appointment and had an email stating my permit had been approved and issued only two days later.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travismate View Post
I just recently went through the process with SLO SO and it was incredibly user friendly and efficient. From initial application to my permit being issued only took 5 weeks. I believe this would have been even faster but I had to resubmit my letters of reference because they were not signed or dated.

I was contacted halfway through the process and asked to take my training class before my interview. I had not received any information about pre approval but took the class anyway. The interview seemed like I was basically already approved and it was more informative in nature. We discussed permit restrictions regarding places of carry and a few scenario based questions. There was a large emphasis on the permit being for my protection and to be a good witness for others.

I did my livescan after my appointment and had an email stating my permit had been approved and issued only two days later.
Congrats! Mind stating where you live, generally? Rural, in town, which town?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Congrats! Mind stating where you live, generally? Rural, in town, which town?
In town unincorporated north county
Old 01-26-2019, 9:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Congrats!!!

Quote:
I just recently went through the process with SLO SO and it was incredibly user friendly and efficient. From initial application to my permit being issued only took 5 weeks.
That quickness deserves a party of its own.

Quote:
I believe this would have been even faster but I had to resubmit my letters of reference because they were not signed or dated.
How many letters? Are those required to be from SLO Co residents?

Quote:
There was a large emphasis on the permit being for my protection and to be a good witness for others.
Hate to say it, but given what even cops go through after a "good shoot", and they've got a union and insurance backing them up, it makes sense "not to get involved." Just figure,they're adults and they probably chose not to even try applying. That's their bed that they get to sleep in. If something goes bad with you attempting to bail their tails out, will they pay for your lawyers? for your medical/surgical/rehab/disability/etc? I HIGHLY doubt it!

I don't know if I could just sit there and record little kids or women getting seriously injured, though....

Private Message (PM) sent.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-26-2019 at 9:47 PM..
Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 PM

That's why I intend to get insurance.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 PM

For the stats.....co worker just picked up his initial permit from SO. Four weeks start to finish.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 PM

Congratulations to your co-worker.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
A co worker just got his permit. His interview was with the volunteer, not the US. Just reiterate you are not a citizen cop back up or armed first responder or vigilante. Prepare for them to deny you just to test your reaction. I know two that were denied at the interview. One thanked them for their time and was professional, only for them to tell him they were testing him and he passed. The other guy freaked. No permit for you.

Last edited by RumT; 01-28-2019 at 10:09 PM..
Old 01-28-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecatt View Post
Congratulations to your co-worker.
I was more excited to hear of the four week timeline. I was almost seven months.
Old 01-29-2019, 7:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
For the stats.....co worker just picked up his initial permit from SO. Four weeks start to finish.
Do they live in a city with its own PD or not?
Old 01-29-2019, 8:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
A co worker just got his permit. His interview was with the volunteer, not the US. Just reiterate you are not a citizen cop back up or armed first responder or vigilante.
What?!! You mean I've memorized all these great lines for nothing?

Quote:
Prepare for them to deny you just to test your reaction. I know two that were denied at the interview. One thanked them for their time and was professional, only for them to tell him they were testing him and he passed. The other guy freaked. No permit for you.

Cops ... don't you just love 'em.

I'd be hard pressed not to mutter "Son of a b----" under my breath.
Old 01-31-2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Do they live in a city with its own PD or not?
He was first denied in his local municipality and recommended to apply to county. Then in the middle of applying to county, he bought a house in unincorporated county.