Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-25-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post

Probably just as complicated, too. I could never understand that 3D Chess!
Old 05-25-2011, 1:59 PM

this is gonna be good...

is it open to all, or just specific ppl?

Quote:
Old 05-25-2011, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

You guys are nerds :P
Old 06-02-2011, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Jeremy, if you can apply this week, please pm me your name, email, and phone.
I read in another thread that SFBadger applied few days ago. Good luck to you Mike.
Old 06-02-2011, 3:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

CGF DEMANDS SAN FRANCISCO SHERIFF MICHAEL HENNESSEY FOLLOW LAWS, CONSTITUTION

San Carlos, CA (June 2, 2011) - As part of its ongoing Carry License Compliance and Sunshine Initiative, The Calguns Foundation sent San Francisco County Sheriff Michael Hennessey a letter demanding that he immediately bring his firearm carry license application acceptance, processing, and evaluation policies into compliance with the law.

In the letter sent Tuesday, Calguns notes that the Sheriff has failed to comply with state law for nearly thirteen years, even after being notified of the deficiency on a number of prior occasions. Calguns also claims that the policies of the Sheriff in issuing licenses to some, including one of his employees, while refusing to accept all applications from “regular” San Francisco residents violates applicants’ constitutional rights of self-defense and equal protection under the law.

“While the Sheriff may have grown accustomed to following only those laws he chooses, we intend to hold the County’s highest law enforcement officer to the same laws he took an oath to uphold,” notes Gene Hoffman, Chairman of The Calguns Foundation. “The rights of San Francisco residents are no less valuable than those of his employees and friends.”

In 1998, then-Assemblymember Rod Wright authored a bill to make firearm carry permit applications consistent across the state due to tremendous variations in local practices by licensing authorities. That bill, AB 2022, established a mandate that all licensing authorities create and publish a written policy on carry license applications by April 1, 1999. It also instituted a specific process that licensing authorities - county sheriffs and city chiefs of police - must use in receiving and processing applications.

“We’ve spent thousands of hours requesting and reviewing the policies and practices of hundreds of law enforcement agencies across the state. Sheriff Hennessey’s, obviously, stood out – it simply didn’t exist,” said Brandon Combs, member of the Board of Directors of Calguns Foundation. “It’s exceedingly frustrating to see the Sheriff turning away so many qualified San Francisco residents who are complying with the law.”

In an effort to avoid litigation, Calguns provided Sheriff Hennessey with a comprehensive model carry license policy. “We would strongly prefer that the Sheriff simply choose to use our model policy, much as San Francisco has done with LCAV policies in the past,” Brandon Combs said. “However, should he choose to go another direction, we’re prepared to litigate as necessary to bring his policies and practices in line with the law.”

###

A downloadable copy of the model policy is available at this link. CGF's letter to Sheriff Hennessey is located here.

More information on Calguns Foundation’s Carry License Compliance and Sunshine Initiative can be found at www.gotcarry.org. For more information on other Second Amendment-related litigation and educational efforts, please visit www.calgunsfoundation.org.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-02-2011, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

yeah!!!

ETA: what was with the fax-bomb?

Last edited by trashman; 06-02-2011 at 4:23 PM..
Old 06-02-2011, 4:49 PM

Will additional applications help the cause? I wouldn't mind applying in SF (as long as the sheriff's office doesn't retaliate somehow).
Old 06-02-2011, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizdumb View Post
Will additional applications help the cause? I wouldn't mind applying in SF (as long as the sheriff's office doesn't retaliate somehow).
There's no reason for the Sheriff's Office to retaliate. It's your initial $20 fee, if you are denied you will lose your $20, end of story.

You should definitely apply if you KNOW you have a clean enough history and can survive a fairly thorough background check. PM one of the smarter folks around here, (they pretty much stand right out). Give an HONEST assessment of your history and see what they say?
Old 06-02-2011, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbadger View Post
There's no reason for the Sheriff's Office to retaliate. It's your initial $20 fee, if you are denied you will lose your $20, end of story.

You should definitely apply if you KNOW you have a clean enough history and can survive a fairly thorough background check. PM one of the smarter folks around here, (they pretty much stand right out). Give an HONEST assessment of your history and see what they say?
A few minor traffic violations aside, my legal/mental "history" are non-existant (in other words, spotless).

Is the highly probable denial-for-no-good-reason of my CCW application going to be valuable for CGF in this legal battle? Is that why I "definitely" should apply?
Old 06-02-2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
A few minor traffic violations aside, my legal/mental "history" are non-existant (in other words, spotless).

Is the highly probable denial-for-no-good-reason of my CCW application going to be valuable for CGF in this legal battle? Is that why I "definitely" should apply?
You should probably contact someone affiliated with CGF to get the answer to that.
Old 06-02-2011, 6:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
ETA: what was with the fax-bomb?
Jim Harrigan said they didn't receive certain items. I sent them proof, via fax, because he didn't want to communicate via email and insisted on documentable dialogue.

I also submitted a SF Sunshine Ordinance complaint against him.

I wonder why he didn't want to release the records...

-Brandon
SOTF Complaint 8-9-10.pdf

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.

Last edited by wildhawker; 06-02-2011 at 11:33 PM..
Old 06-02-2011, 7:17 PM

@wildhawker Any advice regarding my application for CCW? (see above posts) Would it help to send the application documents via USPS certified mail for additional evidence, if needed?
Old 06-02-2011, 7:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
@wildhawker Any advice regarding my application for CCW? (see above posts) Would it help to send the application documents via USPS certified mail for additional evidence, if needed?
Send me your contact info and I'll send you specific instructions.

-Brandon
bcombs@calgunsfoundation.org

Old 06-02-2011, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Jim Harrigan lied and said they didn't receive certain items. I sent them proof, via fax, because he didn't want to communicate via email and insisted on documentable dialogue.

I also submitted a SF Sunshine Ordinance complaint against him.
I did note in the CGF letter that he indicated "no written policy exists because it is well known no permits are given so there are no applicants".....so much for that!

I love to see you are really holding their feet to the fire on this!!!

--Neill
Old 06-02-2011, 8:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I did note in the CGF letter that he indicated "no written policy exists because it is well known no permits are given so there are no applicants".....so much for that!

--Neill
"We, eh, don't have a policy and don't issue permits. (Except mine.)"

Oops!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:06 AM

My application has been submitted to the SF Sheriff and my Return Receipt has come back. Just waiting for the response.
Old 06-24-2011, 4:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My application has been submitted to the SF Sheriff and my Return Receipt has come back. Just waiting for the response.
In a way I'm hope'n they follow their normal path and deny, otherwise a major earthquake is sure to follow!!
Old 06-25-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
In a way I'm hope'n they follow their normal path and deny, otherwise a major earthquake is sure to follow!!
Really? It seems like it would be ideal if they just changed their minds and started issuing. I'd actually prefer that instead of needing to rub their noses in it through the court system, they might actually have learned something without being forced.
Old 06-25-2011, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Really? It seems like it would be ideal if they just changed their minds and started issuing. I'd actually prefer that instead of needing to rub their noses in it through the court system, they might actually have learned something without being forced.

AMEN!
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory" Jeff Cooper

Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

Oh ya!
Old 07-14-2011, 5:04 PM

Based on my meeting with them, they do seem to have a written policy now.
Just waiting to hear back from CGF on how to proceed.
Old 07-14-2011, 5:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Based on my meeting with them, they do seem to have a written policy now.
Just waiting to hear back from CGF on how to proceed.
Have a few other matters to wrap up; we're still on this.

Old 07-14-2011, 6:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Have a few other matters to wrap up; we're still on this.
Yeah, like a pit bull is on a beef steak!!
Old 08-15-2011, 5:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

CGF DEMANDS SAN FRANCISCO SHERIFF MICHAEL HENNESSEY FOLLOW LAWS, CONSTITUTION

San Carlos, CA (June 2, 2011) - As part of its ongoing Carry License Compliance and Sunshine Initiative, The Calguns Foundation sent San Francisco County Sheriff Michael Hennessey a letter demanding that he immediately bring his firearm carry license application acceptance, processing, and evaluation policies into compliance with the law.

. . . .

In an effort to avoid litigation, Calguns provided Sheriff Hennessey with a comprehensive model carry license policy. “We would strongly prefer that the Sheriff simply choose to use our model policy, much as San Francisco has done with LCAV policies in the past,” Brandon Combs said. “However, should he choose to go another direction, we’re prepared to litigate as necessary to bring his policies and practices in line with the law.”
Any news???

Nothing new on their website: http://www.sfsheriff.com/home.htm
Old 08-15-2011, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Any news???

Nothing new on their website: http://www.sfsheriff.com/home.htm
Well, as long as S.F.'s policy of charging exorbitant amounts is allowed to continue, they have effectively priced everyone out of their rights!
Old 09-07-2011, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

So I came home today to find a polite, and uh, somewhat feisty denial letter from our good Sheriff awaiting me with some interesting guidance. He at least *read* my application, I'll say that...

Anybody else have one to share? Does CGF need/want copies (and any further action) of these?

--Neill
Old 09-07-2011, 6:24 PM

Quote:
So I came home today to find a polite, and uh, somewhat feisty denial letter from our good Sheriff awaiting me with some interesting guidance. He at least *read* my application, I'll say that...

Anybody else have one to share? Does CGF need/want copies (and any further action) of these?

--Neill
I told the Sr. Deputy that I found some serious flaws in SF's CCW Policy and as soon as those issues, namely the fees, were brought into line with the rest of the state, I would re-apply. He sent me back my $20 check!
Old 09-07-2011, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

--Neill
Send me an email. I will review it and forward it to the team.
Old 09-07-2011, 7:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Send me an email. I will review it and forward it to the team.
You have email inbound...

cheers,
--Neill
Old 09-07-2011, 7:56 PM

I'm still getting calls from the Sr. Deputy about my application, but I haven't gotten an update from CGF with how to proceed.
Old 09-07-2011, 8:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm still getting calls from the Sr. Deputy about my application, but I haven't gotten an update from CGF with how to proceed.
Please email ccw (yes, we know) AT calgunsfoundation.org

-Gray
Old 09-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Done. Thanks for the recommendation, Gray!
Old 09-14-2011, 7:13 AM

where can i find the forms and or list of documents required to process an application for CCW in SF a resident . thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 10:01 AM

Any news of SF?

John 14:6
Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Bump!

With the new year, has any progress been made in SF for CCW?
Old 01-14-2012, 8:59 AM

Haven't heard a peep since getting SF in line with the initial application process.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

SF's CCW Policy, Good Cause statement, Guidelines and Forms can be found here.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 PM

Not sure what progress has been made lately, but when I applied last year they seemed to have some pretty ridiculous requirements for SF residents. Has anyone heard if anything has or will change with the new Sheriff?
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM

business as-usual. mirkarimi is more anti- than hennessey, hypocrisy be damned.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Perhaps we'll get lucky and he'll step down for the current legal controversy.