Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-27-2010, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
Thanks, Wes.

Since you're providing training services, I think it would be appropriate for you to e-mail Amber regarding this information. I've e-mailed her previously and posted her information here (i.e., two barrels for same weapon okay, annual qualifications get submitted via mailed/faxed/e-mail) and she responded promptly.
Funny, I've e-mailed her several times on a few different subjects and have never received a reply. In fact, I have an e-mail in right now asking the very question that we're discussing just so I can have a paper document that I can reference later. Based off of my past experiences, I don't expect a response.

Although it's a bit frustrating, I really don't hold it against her. I know that she's extremely busy with the drastic increase in CCW applications. And, I'd much rather her process one more CCW applicant than take the time to answer questions that I can get answered through other methods.

If any of you have had luck with e-mailing Amber in the past, please do regarding the length of time that the CCW course and qualification are good for and let me know if and/or when you receive a response.

Thanks.

By the way, what was the reply regarding the two barrels for the same weapon question? That's one that I've asked and never received a response on months ago.
Nevermind. I found your post on this near the bottom of page 2 in this thread. Thanks!

Last edited by ccwtrainer; 12-27-2010 at 9:19 PM..
Old 12-27-2010, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

Two barrels for the same frame would be considered two pistols, generally speaking. Otherwise, they wouldn't have a "caliber" section on the license or the application.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

CSD, see my post referred to by Wes. My FNP-40 is listed on one line with calibers of .40 and .357. I was required to present a qualification with both the .40 S&W and .357 Sig barrels since it was considered a separate weapon in the modified configuration. In effect, I have four weapons listed on my CCW since I was left room for two lines with the FNP-40 only taking up one line.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:57 PM

Quick potentially dumb question, when you do a livescan there are 3 copies of the application. 1 for the livescan operator (he kept it), 1 for me (I kept it) and 1 for the Sheriff's dept. So the question is, what am I supposed to do with that copy for the sheriff's dept, send it to them now or include with training proof?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
CSD, see my post referred to by Wes. My FNP-40 is listed on one line with calibers of .40 and .357. I was required to present a qualification with both the .40 S&W and .357 Sig barrels since it was considered a separate weapon in the modified configuration. In effect, I have four weapons listed on my CCW since I was left room for two lines with the FNP-40 only taking up one line.
Yep. In effect, your FNP-40 was treated as two different firearms. It's a great thing that they listed both calibers on one line. They could have simply listed that pistol on two different lines as if they were different firearms. You had to qualify with it as if it was two different guns. It's awesome that they did that for you though!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM

I'm about to qualify one of my close friends with his Glock 33 that way. I'll watch him shoot the gun once with each caliber and write the qualification as:
"Glock 33 .357SIG/.40S&W SN: xxxxxxxx"
He'll be happy to find out that someone else has already done it.
Old 12-28-2010, 7:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Amber had told me I could list the same handgun on two separate lines if I wanted (one for each caliber), but I told her I needed that line for something else. Someone else from another county replied in my other thread (linked last night in my post on page 2 of this thread) and their county did it the same as the way mine is listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonb View Post
Quick potentially dumb question, when you do a livescan there are 3 copies of the application. 1 for the livescan operator (he kept it), 1 for me (I kept it) and 1 for the Sheriff's dept. So the question is, what am I supposed to do with that copy for the sheriff's dept, send it to them now or include with training proof?
Just wait and give it to them when you complete your final paperwork. If I recall correctly, Amber said she didn't really need it since she already had the LiveScan results but she took a copy and left me with one anyways.
Old 12-29-2010, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

DOJ completed their check yesterday. FBI did it the same day as the livescan.
CGN
Old 01-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Default CCW Class Cetificate & Qualification Timeline

Amber Wong did in fact get back to me via e-mail quite promptly. This is a very pleasant change from July - October 2010. Here's what I asked on my second correspondence with her, as I don't believe that I made my request completely clear in my first attempt:

Amber,

I was specifically trying to find, in writing, the amount of time my initial class, my renewal class and my shooting proficiency qualifications are valid for. What I mean is, if someone were to take and pass an initial class with a shooting proficiency qualification today, 12/28/10, what is the maximum amount of time that they have before you'll not accept it and require them to retake the class and/or the qualification?

I get asked this all of the time and I really don't have a straight answer to give.

Wesley Lagomarsino

Here's Amber's reply:

All classes/certs we consider valid for 2 years.. Range qualifications are valid for one year only.

~Amber

I don't think I could have been anymore clear in my question and Amber's response is pretty clear, cut and dry. However, this totally goes against what one of my instructors was told when he spoke with her in person and against what harbinger007 was told previously. All I can say is that if this ever comes into question for anyone during their process, get in contact with me and I'll forward you the entire e-mail correspondence that I had with Amber so you can print it out and present it to her.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Sincerely,

Wes
Old 01-01-2011, 8:33 PM

That should put an end to that question.
Old 01-01-2011, 9:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwtrainer View Post
I don't think I could have been anymore clear in my question and Amber's response is pretty clear, cut and dry. However, this totally goes against what one of my instructors was told when he spoke with her in person and against what harbinger007 was told previously. All I can say is that if this ever comes into question for anyone during their process, get in contact with me and I'll forward you the entire e-mail correspondence that I had with Amber so you can print it out and present it to her.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Sincerely,

Wes

Thanks, Wes.

To clarify, I had not been told anything about the length of time training or qualifications were valid from Amber. In posts 5 and 15 of this thread (on page 1) I referred to other members that had indicated that training was valid for 90 days and linked to one of those posts, but we never could find any official indication of that from the SSD. Thankfully, you've got that clarified!
Old 01-01-2011, 9:36 PM

Default 4 or 5 pistols on CCW

Has anyone done this. If you qualify with 4 or 5 pistols will they be allowed or is 3 the hard limit?
Old 01-01-2011, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

They allow only 3.
Old 01-01-2011, 9:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Three is the hard limit in Sacramento County per policy (not law). The only way to sort of have more than three is to have different barrels for some of those three handguns.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 PM

4 handguns is the limit in Butte county. I just added my 4th one last month for $10. to the sheriff and $20 for the range fee at Chico Rod & Gun Club facility. They meet the 1st and 3rd friday of the month about 6pm.

Savage 110 BA, Harris bi-pod, Nightforce 12-42 x 56mm Optics, "Shooter" ballistics program by Sean for Android phone, Lapua brass for all handloads.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Turned in my class completion cert with the 3 handguns listed on it.

They were breaking in a new guy today so my process took a little longer than it should in the future. I was scheduled for a 9:30 appt (LOVE the online scheduling app!), arrived at 9:15, and barely sat down when I and another fellow (already there for his 9:20) were called up.

Very straightforward. Hand over the cert, sign the blank license, thumbprint *here* and *here*. Told it would arrive via cert mail in 7-14 days.

Wow, can't believe the long-awaited day is finally here! I've been pursuing this since Sept 28th and not letting the grass grow under my feet (taking each step as promptly as humanly possible). I will soon see that rare and elusive beast... a CA CCW!

Now if my holster would only arrive!!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcor View Post
Has anyone done this. If you qualify with 4 or 5 pistols will they be allowed or is 3 the hard limit?
Sacramento County only allows up to 3 guns on their CCW permits. I would like to see it be unlimited but CA PC 12051(a)(1) requires that the license "contain a description of the weapon or weapons authorized to be carried, giving the name of the manufacturer, the serial number, and the caliber." Because of this requirement, Sac County determined that they could only fit 3 on the permit.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 01-05-2011, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
Turned in my class completion cert with the 3 handguns listed on it.

They were breaking in a new guy today so my process took a little longer than it should in the future. I was scheduled for a 9:30 appt (LOVE the online scheduling app!), arrived at 9:15, and barely sat down when I and another fellow (already there for his 9:20) were called up.

Very straightforward. Hand over the cert, sign the blank license, thumbprint *here* and *here*. Told it would arrive via cert mail in 7-14 days.

Wow, can't believe the long-awaited day is finally here! I've been pursuing this since Sept 28th and not letting the grass grow under my feet (taking each step as promptly as humanly possible). I will soon see that rare and elusive beast... a CA CCW!

Now if my holster would only arrive!!
Very nice! I'm just waiting for the DOJ to send the certified letter to them so I can make my final appointment. The livescan results for both FBI and DOJ were sent to them the same day as the scan. It's a shame they don't accept the electronic results as they are. It would streamline the process somewhat for them as they would not have to handle even more mail and write more letters than they already do.
Old 01-06-2011, 7:06 PM

Default what weapons are covered?

In Sacramento, or California for that matter, when you have gotten your coveted CCW, what other weapons are covered? We have stupid laws saying you can carry a folding knife concealed but not a fixed blade. Would this be covered under the CCW? I know that collapsable batons are illegal except for police/security etc, any chance they would be allowed?

Truly I don't expect much leeway with this but it would seem to me that if we have our license to carry concealed firearms that a less lethal alternative would be approved.

If anyone has heard anything about this please post it and let us know. Until then I will go back to my room and keep chanting to the gods of CCW's to approve my application and let me get going onto the next step.

Be safe all.
Old 01-06-2011, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedo59 View Post
In Sacramento, or California for that matter, when you have gotten your coveted CCW, what other weapons are covered? We have stupid laws saying you can carry a folding knife concealed but not a fixed blade. Would this be covered under the CCW? I know that collapsable batons are illegal except for police/security etc, any chance they would be allowed?

Truly I don't expect much leeway with this but it would seem to me that if we have our license to carry concealed firearms that a less lethal alternative would be approved.

If anyone has heard anything about this please post it and let us know. Until then I will go back to my room and keep chanting to the gods of CCW's to approve my application and let me get going onto the next step.

Be safe all.
Your permit covers only the guns on your permit and nothing else.
Old 01-06-2011, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Wonder if you can put down a neck nife. Be interesting to see what the training requirement would have to be.

It is a weapon.
CGN
Old 01-06-2011, 8:20 PM

What is the average time before they cash your check?

Last edited by truthseeker; 01-06-2011 at 9:45 PM..
Old 01-07-2011, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1911 View Post
Wonder if you can put down a neck nife. Be interesting to see what the training requirement would have to be.

It is a weapon.
PC 12050 says:

Quote:
(a)(1)(A)The sheriff of a county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying satisfies any one of the conditions specified in subparagraph (D) and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:
So, no.
Old 01-07-2011, 6:36 PM
Calguns Addict

^^I knew that. Hence the roll eyes.
CGN
Old 01-09-2011, 7:22 AM

Hey guys I have not seen this one asked yet. About 20 years ago I held a ccw permit in Shasta County were I lived at the time. When I moved to Sac County, Shasta County would not renew me when the time came since I no longer lived in that County.I was told was back then that I had not been in Sac County a year and it was nearly impossible to get a permit. So I just never even bothered to apply. I currently have an appointment in April to turn in my application. Anyone see any issues I should be prepared for?
Old 01-09-2011, 7:54 AM

There is a question on the application that asks if you've ever held or applied for a CCW before. I believe you'll have an opportunity to provide details on that in your interview.
Old 01-09-2011, 8:01 AM

Yes I saw that I will just answer yes to it. I ASSUME at my interview they will ask about that. I was just trying to be prepared for any thing I may not have thought of. Thanks Much for the reply.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
I suspect he meant "I've had" rather than "I've have" meaning the others were obtained in the past and are no longer valid.
Oops, dt is correct, I forgot to add the word "had." When I was a Level 1 reserve deputy, I lived in a different county from where I worked, so I had a CCW from that county. When I left the SO I moved to a different county and worked for the local police department as a Level 2, so I had to get a CCW from that county. My process might have been easier since I was a reserve at the time of application. Still had to meet with the sheriff's and qualify like everyone else though. I just remember the fees and hoopla being a whole lot less than what Sac Co. requires.
Old 01-11-2011, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edneck View Post
Hey guys I have not seen this one asked yet. About 20 years ago I held a ccw permit in Shasta County were I lived at the time. When I moved to Sac County, Shasta County would not renew me when the time came since I no longer lived in that County.I was told was back then that I had not been in Sac County a year and it was nearly impossible to get a permit. So I just never even bothered to apply. I currently have an appointment in April to turn in my application. Anyone see any issues I should be prepared for?
No issues whatsoever based on what you stated. A previous denial based on those circumstances won't even be given a second look. Go in there confident, knowing that you, just like every other good guy in Sac County who applies, are about to be issued your CCW permit!!
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 01-11-2011, 7:25 AM

It won't be a problem. I also had a permit about 15 years ago. I stated it where asked on the application and it didn't draw a single comment or question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edneck View Post
Old 01-11-2011, 6:50 PM

Default No problem during my first interview

I had a CCW back when Chief Eugene Byrd was being called a crazy radical because he was issuing them from Isleton. The detective said oh you had one from isleton. That was the total amount that it came up. I did not have a denial because when my expired Chief Byrd had left Isleton PD and was running Sac County Sheriff.
Old 01-11-2011, 9:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Dropped off my final paperwork this morning; I should have my CCW by the end of January! I arrived 20 minutes early, they saw me right away, and I was out before my actual appointment time. The officer who took my paperwork mentioned that last year they were processing 10 to 20 applications per month, and now they're up to 100 to 120 per month. That's a lot of people with guns walking around!

I feel safer already.

"A city's strongest tower of defense is brave men" -Alcaeus

Last edited by Rugerdaddy; 01-11-2011 at 9:54 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-11-2011, 9:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugerdaddy View Post
Dropped off my final paperwork this morning; I should hve my CCW by the end of January! I arrived 20 minutes early, they saw me right away, and I was out before my actual appointment time. The officer who took my paperwork mentioned that last year they were processing 10 to 20 applications per month, and now they're up to 100 to 120 per month. That's a lot of people with guns walking around!

I feel safer already.
That what I would consider a huge win. Excellent and thanks for sharing.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-12-2011, 6:45 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Gene and Branden

I have pm'd both of you a question before I apply. Please let me know so that I can get an appointment scheduled. Thanks for all the work.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Daniels View Post
The training should be offered by the Sheriff at no charge. The department has a huge range that goes unused a great deal of the time. Would be easy to open it up to people seeking permits or just knowledge/training for home use at no cost.
Makes sense! There are many things the new Sheriff should be doing!!! No one seems to know his direction. Only that he is an attorney who has only worked in the jail. Not in a patrol car, not in detectives, not on special teams.

Folks are sceptical! We were hoping for a Joe Arpaio or Sheriff Mack style sheriff, but it looks like we may have the status quo politician attorney for sheriff! Who knows, maybe we will be surprised in the future!
Old 01-12-2011, 8:05 PM

Im new to calguns and do not know how to post a thread. I live in sacramento and have a couple CCW app questions someone plz help!!
Old 01-12-2011, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreppin916 View Post
Im new to calguns and do not know how to post a thread. I live in sacramento and have a couple CCW app questions someone plz help!!
Have you look here yet, lots of info. Sacramento is easy, but it takes time.
http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...ccw-initiative
Old 01-12-2011, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreppin916 View Post
Feel free to send a PM my way if you need help.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

I went an hour before my appointment time for my initial interview and there was a total of three of us. I was in and out in about 20 minutes. On my way back thru the lobby to get my CDL, there were probably 20+ people in there.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:20 PM

Heads up. The Sac County info page has an old link to the Application PDF. New link is http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...es/ccw_app.pdf

Proud Contributing Member: