Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-13-2014, 7:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockedAndLoaded View Post
Sorry, I should have added that. I'm a contractor. I actually didn't fill it in and the sheriff asked I leave it open so in not sure how it was worded.

I essentially was concerned with carrying valuable tools and material around in the back of my truck. I also had a large amount of tools stolen from my property a few weeks prior.
Well, good. It sounds like they're loosening up issuance. When they get comfortable w/this and see that CCWers aren't shooting each other over fender benders and parking spaces and that the streets aren't running red with blood, hopefully he'll loosen the GC requirement even further, maybe to accepting mere self-defense.
Old 01-13-2014, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Um, don't know who you met, gave your app to, and conversed with, but the sheriff is a guy....

http://www.countyofnapa.org/Sheriff/Administration/

Sheriff John R. Robertson
Maybe she was the under sheriff? Very nice lady, I'll try to find her card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2014, 8:35 AM

A Captain Tracy Stuart is who I meet with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2014, 3:58 PM

Moving to Napa 94558 in October. Please share your experience in applying and the process for Napa. I will technically be living within the Napa city limits but have been told it is better to apply at the Napa County Sheriff's Office. PM me with details.

tia

NRA Certified Pistol & Certified Rifle Instructor
CA DoJ Handgun Safety Certificate Certified Instructor
Utah Department of Public Safety Concealed Firearm Instructor
Old 01-26-2015, 7:44 PM

Any updates on Napa County CCW? I'm looking to apply in Feb. this year. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2015, 6:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscan925 View Post
Going to apply for my CCW next month. If anyone could PM me some GC that has been accepted it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
How'd things go?
Old 04-04-2015, 6:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOPS View Post
Moving to Napa 94558 in October. Please share your experience in applying and the process for Napa. I will technically be living within the Napa city limits but have been told it is better to apply at the Napa County Sheriff's Office. PM me with details.

tia
Did you move? Did you apply? If so, w/SO or PD? How'd it go?
Old 04-04-2015, 6:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockOut View Post
Any updates on Napa County CCW? I'm looking to apply in Feb. this year. Thanks!
Did you apply? If so, how'd it go?
Old 04-10-2015, 7:46 PM

Did you become a LEO in napa?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:25 PM

Would anyone be willing to PM me with examples of good cause for the city of Napa? It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2015, 7:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
^^^^
Looks like june 16 could be a day we celebrate,
I am going to look into it again after that.
As I have found little gc info so far.
What's happening on the 16th?

If you're referring to Peruta, that's when orals are taking place. Who knows when the decision will be released (and the odds are we will lose).
Old 06-21-2015, 2:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockedAndLoaded View Post
I applied through the sheriffs office, picked up a app and was given a appointment on spot for the following week. I meet with the sheriff and handed her my app directly, she was very nice and well mannered. After she looked over my application and a brief conversation I was approved. I took my 16 hour training course the following weekend. After my course I scheduled my live scan for a few days later and my permit was in the mail 30 days on the day.

The whole process took far less then what I've heard about in Sacramento county. I never really had to wait for appointments, I just called ahead for the most part.
Roughly how long from asking for the initial appointment (the day you picked up the app), to the day you were approved and then to the day you had your permit in hand?
Old 06-22-2015, 7:17 AM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

Picked up app.
Took it home, filled it out.
Took training class
Did LiveScan at Novato Police Department (near my office at that time)
Scheduled appointment with Napa
Had appointment. Was walked down hallway to admin office afterwards and fingerprinted.
Permit arrived a week later.
Old 06-22-2015, 5:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanin View Post
Picked up app.
Took it home, filled it out.
Took training class
Did LiveScan at Novato Police Department (near my office at that time)
Scheduled appointment with Napa
Had appointment. Was walked down hallway to admin office afterwards and fingerprinted.
Permit arrived a week later.
Congrats!

Be sure to encourage family, friends, and anyone else you think might be interested (e.g., shooting buddies, coworkers, neighbors, friends from church, etc) to go get theirs too! Be sure to EveryDay Carry (EDC), esp when visiting the more populous parts of the Bay Area.

Did you apply thru Napa PD or the Napa Sheriff's Office?

Roughly, w/o giving details that might ID you, what was your Good Cause statement like?

I assume you took training after you dropped off your app and were approved. If so, about how long did the process take from dropping off the app to having permit in hand?
Old 06-23-2015, 7:01 AM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

I've had mine for 4 years. Issued through Napa Sheriff's office.

I actually took the class before the interview. Whether I was approved or not having the training never hurts.

Total time from interview to in-hand was 1 week. Total time from picking up app to having it in hand was 4 weeks.
Old 06-24-2015, 7:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanin View Post
I've had mine for 4 years. Issued through Napa Sheriff's office.

I actually took the class before the interview. Whether I was approved or not having the training never hurts.

Total time from interview to in-hand was 1 week. Total time from picking up app to having it in hand was 4 weeks.
You missed one question.

Quote:
Roughly, w/o giving details that might ID you, what was your Good Cause statement like?
Old 06-24-2015, 9:18 AM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

I can't say publicly, it'd ID me instantly.
Old 07-01-2015, 5:02 AM

Just moved to Napa from Sacramento and popped into the city PD to pick up an application yesterday without thinking about it or looking at this thread- they have definitely not changed their stance at all. Good cause requires absurd documentation, and three letters of reference.

From reading through the thread, it sounds like its still better to go through the sheriff as they are more realistic?

Last edited by shinzen; 07-01-2015 at 5:07 AM..
Old 07-02-2015, 8:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinzen View Post
Just moved to Napa from Sacramento and popped into the city PD to pick up an application yesterday without thinking about it or looking at this thread- they have definitely not changed their stance at all. Good cause requires absurd documentation, and three letters of reference.
Fixed it for ya....

Like it or not, no one who wants a CCW should even think about where they'll move to without checking these Concealed Carry County Info forum threads. Welcome to the PRK....

Quote:
From reading through the thread, it sounds like its still better to go through the sheriff as they are more realistic?
Keep us updated.
Old 07-02-2015, 8:28 AM

Yeah, didn't even think about it- I figured that me already having on here in CA would help out with the process wherever we moved to, but not so much. Going to try to drop in to the sheriff's office today to get the lay of the land.
Old 08-05-2015, 8:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yeah, didn't even think about it- I figured that me already having on here in CA would help out with the process wherever we moved to, but not so much. Going to try to drop in to the sheriff's office today to get the lay of the land.
It's been a month, what did you learn?
Old 08-14-2015, 6:18 AM

Well it's been awhile. What I found is that the sheriff and the city have the exact same policy outlining what they deem to be good cause, and personal protection alone is not sufficient.

The meat of the two page reasons that they would not deny people for is you have to have had a specific ongoing specific threats against your person, have a line of work where such threats might occur, or "possibly" carry large sums of money for your job.

I was hoping we'd see the Peruta issue resolved in our favor first, but appears that I will not be getting one here in Napa county until that case is resolved (hopefully) in our favor.
Old 08-14-2015, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Well it's been awhile. What I found is that the sheriff and the city have the exact same policy outlining what they deem to be good cause, and personal protection alone is not sufficient.

The meat of the two page reasons that they would not deny people for is you have to have had a specific ongoing specific threats against your person, have a line of work where such threats might occur, or "possibly" carry large sums of money for your job.

I was hoping we'd see the Peruta issue resolved in our favor first, but appears that I will not be getting one here in Napa county until that case is resolved (hopefully) in our favor.
Thanks for sharing! Which office did you apply with? Did they deny you in person in your first meeting, or did you go through the fingerprinting etc.?
Old 08-14-2015, 7:53 AM

I just went down to turn in the paperwork, and she let me know that I'd need to setup an appointment with the Under Sheriff to apply. She then handed me the "Napa Addendum" as I'm calling it that addresses good cause. Just like the city, it's two pages of notes that specifically calls out what I had written as being insufficient good cause. Guess I had been spoiled by living in Sacramento for that. I'm viewing it that unless I'm willing to start a new lawsuit, which I'm not, it seems best to wait for the Peruta ruling. The whole thing fails the equal protection clause thoroughly IMO, but alas, I'm not in charge.

Last edited by shinzen; 08-14-2015 at 7:55 AM..
Old 08-14-2015, 10:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I just went down to turn in the paperwork, and she let me know that I'd need to setup an appointment with the Under Sheriff to apply. She then handed me the "Napa Addendum" as I'm calling it that addresses good cause. Just like the city, it's two pages of notes that specifically calls out what I had written as being insufficient good cause.
That's weird that they're restrictive, given that -- when compensating for the difference in pop. (Solano has 3x Napa pop, so multiply Napa CCWs by 3) -- Napa Co has issued CCWs at 2x the rate of Solano Co, and pretty much everybody agrees Solano reasonably issues CCWs.

CCW and pop. stats from:
https://www.revealnews.org/article/w...san-francisco/

Can you post pics of the "Napa Addendum"?

Since you now live in Napa Co, you need to review my, IIRC, 3 posts in the "707 Banter" thread to liberalize issuance in Napa Co. (1st of the posts (~5 posts total) at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post16593010)

In case you haven't kept up w/Peruta, the bottom line is not to waste 2 years waiting for it since we may not win it.... Best to assume we won't and push forward w/local political action, like the San Joaquin, Merced, and Riverside folks have done and now all 3 of those are readily issuing CCWs. Sheriffs elections are only once every 4 years (next in 2018).

Last edited by Paladin; 08-15-2015 at 8:46 AM..
Old 08-15-2015, 6:02 AM

Here is the Napa two page precursor to the CCW packet. Didn't realize the statistics were showing the higher percentage of issuance. Interesting. Since they specifically call out "the public good and safety" I may go ahead and apply, since I'm a firearms instructor and have my COE. They may look at that. They may not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Good Cause.jpg (20.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Good Cause 2.jpg (20.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by shinzen; 08-15-2015 at 6:13 AM..
Old 08-15-2015, 9:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Here is the Napa two page precursor to the CCW packet. Didn't realize the statistics were showing the higher percentage of issuance. Interesting. Since they specifically call out "the public good and safety" I may go ahead and apply, since I'm a firearms instructor and have my COE. They may look at that. They may not.
Thx Shinzen. Had to squint to read the tiny print (should have gotten out a magnifying glass), but managed.

That last sentence of the 2nd document makes it seem like Loaded Open Carry is legal in CA.

I wonder if the sheriff has recently restricted his policy (with Peruta going en banc?), and will start denying renewals? (Similar to OC backing away from accepting mere "self-defense" as sufficient GC after Peruta went en banc.)

Of course, Public Records Act requests can be used to ensure that he is in fact treating all applicants with equivalent GCs equally. If not, he's vulnerable to a 14th Amendment "equal protection" Guillory lawsuit.

For now, I'm removing the "thumbs up" symbol from this thread since Napa seems to now have a restrictive issuance policy despite the rate of issued CCWs.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-15-2015 at 9:45 AM..
Old 08-15-2015, 9:51 AM

Oh jeez. I didn't realize it reduced the size that much. And it won't let me post the PDF. Dang. If anybody wants a PDF copy, I can email it over, just pm me

Last edited by shinzen; 08-15-2015 at 10:02 AM..
Old 08-16-2015, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Thx Shinzen. Had to squint to read the tiny print (should have gotten out a magnifying glass), but managed.

That last sentence of the 2nd document makes it seem like Loaded Open Carry is legal in CA.

I wonder if the sheriff has recently restricted his policy (with Peruta going en banc?), and will start denying renewals? (Similar to OC backing away from accepting mere "self-defense" as sufficient GC after Peruta went en banc.)

Of course, Public Records Act requests can be used to ensure that he is in fact treating all applicants with equivalent GCs equally. If not, he's vulnerable to a 14th Amendment "equal protection" Guillory lawsuit.

For now, I'm removing the "thumbs up" symbol from this thread since Napa seems to now have a restrictive issuance policy despite the rate of issued CCWs.

I don't believe that this has been a recent addition to their requirements. I applied recently with Napa PD, and my packet had the same two pages. During my interview, it was apparent that my packet was missing a few pages of info to which the Sgt. I was speaking with stated "Oh, you must have gotten one of the old packets". Of course this is only anecdotal. I wonder if the second page is written like it is because it was used by the dept. prior to Jan 2014?

Shinzen, do I understand correctly that you decided not to apply due to feeling that you lacked good cause?
Old 08-16-2015, 6:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter91 View Post
I don't believe that this has been a recent addition to their requirements. I applied recently with Napa PD, and my packet had the same two pages. During my interview, it was apparent that my packet was missing a few pages of info to which the Sgt. I was speaking with stated "Oh, you must have gotten one of the old packets". Of course this is only anecdotal. I wonder if the second page is written like it is because it was used by the dept. prior to Jan 2014?
Well, that makes it awfully tough to explain why Napa Co has been issuing CCWs at 2x the rate of Solano Co. If they've been this restrictive re. GC for the past, oh, 3 or 4 years, I'd expect them to issue not at 2x the rate of Solano Co, not at the same rate as Solano Co, but more like at 1/4th to 1/2 the rate of Solano Co.

Hopefully that news source will do an annual statewide survey of issuance rates for the different counties. That way, if Napa Co CCWs tank in a year or two, we'll know that there was a change recently.

Like I posted above, you guys, if you care about CCWs, better stop counting on the courts (federal or state), to bail your behinds out and organize. Otherwise you may well end up like OC after Carona left and Hutchens pulled all those CCWs.

I'd LOVE to see Sonoma and Napa join Solano in readily issuing CCWs. That would be 3 out of the 9 SFBA counties!

Marin is a lost cause, politically at this time, IMO.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Shinzen, do I understand correctly that you decided not to apply due to feeling that you lacked good cause?
I'm still debating. On initial take with the way the paperwork is written, I felt I may not have sufficient cause. However, without sharing too much identifiable information, on further reflection I may indeed have sufficient cause to meet the two pagers requirements, depending on how they interpret things. Left a message to setup the initial interview, so we'll see.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I'm still debating. On initial take with the way the paperwork is written, I felt I may not have sufficient cause. However, without sharing too much identifiable information, on further reflection I may indeed have sufficient cause to meet the two pagers requirements, depending on how they interpret things. Left a message to setup the initial interview, so we'll see.
Sounds good, best of luck!
Old 08-24-2015, 9:42 AM

A bit of additional information. Just got off the phone with the Under Sheriff who runs the CCW program for the county. He told me that because I live in the city, I have to go through the Napa PD, they only do CCW for those living in the unincorporated areas.
Old 08-24-2015, 7:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
A bit of additional information. Just got off the phone with the Under Sheriff who runs the CCW program for the county. He told me that because I live in the city, I have to go through the Napa PD, they only do CCW for those living in the unincorporated areas.
This is illegal. State law says the sheriff has to accept CCW applications and, IIRC, so does the Salute v. Pitchess decision (court can mandate that they exercise their discretion, but not how they exercise it).

But, hey, you don't actually expect "the chief law-enforcement officer of the county" to actually obey the law, now do you?
Old 08-25-2015, 8:52 AM

Just an interesting point of note, got off the phone with the Sac Sheriff dept where I had my prior license, he mentioned Peruta and the hopes that there would be constancy. Even said he thought the 9th would rule in our favor LOL. Not holding my breath. I may head down to chat with the under sheriff on general principle.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:28 AM

Just received my CCW through Napa PD.

Interviewed and was LiveScanned two months ago. Was instructed by the IA to take my class. After a 2 month wait for DOJ, I had my second appointment where I was issued my license.
Old 09-03-2015, 7:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just received my CCW through Napa PD.

Interviewed and was LiveScanned two months ago. Was instructed by the IA to take my class. After a 2 month wait for DOJ, I had my second appointment where I was issued my license.
Congrats!

Would you feel comfortable giving us an idea of what your Good Cause was (but not so detailed so as to ID you)? It would help lurkers/visitors by giving them an idea of whether the should even try applying. While we don't want gunnies to waste their time, money and effort in futile gestures, we also do not want folks who could get a Napa PD CCW to not even try because they assume they'll be denied for lack of/insufficient GC.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-03-2015 at 7:41 PM..
Old 09-03-2015, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Congrats!

Would you feel comfortable giving us an idea of what your Good Cause was (but not so detailed so as to ID you)? It would help lurkers/visitors by giving them an idea of whether the should even try applying.
Thank you Paladin, that looks like quite the party! I am self employed and happen to carry valuable things for work as well as working in remote areas where illegal activity is present.
Old 11-05-2015, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
Congrats
Otter91
Thanks clb!
Old 11-27-2016, 7:35 PM

I am moving to Napa county from sitter county this next week. The wife and I both have current CCWs. I have had mine for 10+ years. What do I have to do to get one for Napa county. Will be moving to American Canyon. Hoping for a miracle!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro