Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-01-2013, 1:25 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona up the hill at 7,000ft. originally from Minnesota, this ain't snow, its flurries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke1979 View Post
All the links to the good clause statements seem down. Any one else having problems getting to them?
Yeah I'm getting its down also.
Seems odd, always worked prior to this.

Vick

404 - Component not found
You may not be able to visit this page because of:
  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.
Please try one of the following pages:

If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site.
Component not found

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Picnic Time
Old 04-15-2013, 2:58 PM

Well as a new member, I'd like to say how great it is to see people who enjoy many of the same thing I like - being responsible for myself & family being at the top.
Located in Lemoore, out in the boonies - otwka Island District. With crime on the rise, and minimal patrol activity, it seems more & more prudent to take stronger measures to protect things, so my wife & I are pursuing ccw's. We've got the package assembled, and are waiting until the appt, but we're also looking for examples of GCS to help us along.
As noted above, the links remain down - page not located, etc. Anybody have any idea as to what is going on? There was no reply to can'thavenuthingood's post above.
Thanks
Old 06-28-2013, 7:09 PM

bump, does anyone have a link and/or the good cause pdf file?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psubond View Post
bump, does anyone have a link and/or the good cause pdf file?
I've been looking for two days. Can't find any.
Old 07-06-2013, 1:46 PM
C3 Leader

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona up the hill at 7,000ft. originally from Minnesota, this ain't snow, its flurries

There was a whole herd of those critters here way back in the beginning of the Sunshine Initiative
I suspect whoever put them up went and took them down.
One of those 'I'll show you' type of things.
'It's my ball and I'm going home' etc.

My wife is wanting to get hers also though she needs to fill out the form.

The Visalia Sportsmans Assoc. has a class with Kings county specifics.

Last time I was out to the Lemoore Sportsmans club, about 6 weeks ago there was a class going on there.

As far as some good cause statements I'll look around some more, see if i can uncover a few samples.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Picnic Time

Last edited by Can'thavenuthingood; 07-06-2013 at 2:02 PM..
Old 07-06-2013, 2:08 PM
C3 Leader

On Calguns Foundation's site they have an example of a filled out carry permit application.
All they have for the good cause statement is this:

Quote:
I wish to acquire a license to carry a functional firearm in order to lawfully exercise my
fundamental right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense.
In theory this should be all that is needed, however comma, this is designed to get someone to file a suit and get the Sheriff to issue based on the 2nd Amendment right. I do not know the actual success rate for this but I do know they have had a number of Sheriffs change their ways and comply with the written law.

From the CGF site;
Quote:
CGF’s Carry License Sunshine and Compliance Initiative is a grassroots education and litigation campaign
designed to:
(A) procure and publish objective carry license related records and other data (going to actual issuance/denial, contours of policies (both as written and as applied);
(B) force licensing authorities to

comply with state statutes, precedent, and the Constitution;
(C) track and monitor local practices;
(D)support applicants and licensees; and
(E) develop and promulgate materials related to the above.
Sheriffs shouldn't be making us go back to the city Chief of Police for a first step.
I understand a 'heads up' for the Chief but that could be done after the Sheriff issues as I'm sure it is taking place.

You folks out in the County ought to be getting Carry permit easy enough.

Vick

Picnic Time

Last edited by Can'thavenuthingood; 07-06-2013 at 2:22 PM..
Old 07-08-2013, 1:58 AM

Spoke with a few SOs at work yesterday, asked them how Sheriff Robinson feels about CCWs and they all said he was friendly toward the idea and supportive. they said they know several instances where permits were denied by Hanford but approved by county.
They did say that if you live in the city, to try there first though. not that you HAVE to just more of a "chain of command" type of thing. which is understandable.
Old 07-08-2013, 6:28 AM
C3 Leader

The Sheriff doesn't REQUIRE us to go through the city?
Its more of an expected courtesy to do so?

Vick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbass7 View Post
Spoke with a few SOs at work yesterday, asked them how Sheriff Robinson feels about CCWs and they all said he was friendly toward the idea and supportive. they said they know several instances where permits were denied by Hanford but approved by county.
They did say that if you live in the city, to try there first though. not that you HAVE to just more of a "chain of command" type of thing. which is understandable.

Picnic Time
Old 07-18-2013, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'thavenuthingood View Post
The Sheriff doesn't REQUIRE us to go through the city?
Its more of an expected courtesy to do so?

Vick
Unless he has recently changed the policy, the Kings Co Sheriff's office will flat out refuse to accept an application if you haven't already tried through the police. A couple years ago I personally spoke with Sheriff Robinson about CCWs, and he seemed reasonable but simply wouldn't agree that shall issue was appropriate. Something about not wanting people taking the law into their own hands.

Hanford PD issued a CCW to me in 2010 (after about a 7 month delay IIRC), and renewed it in 2012 without drama. The PD also declined to issue one to my wife.

At one point CG was interested in working with Kings Co but that interest evaporated, or the resources were redirected elsewhere. Not sure which, or why.

We're leaving California anyway. Inshallah.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 AM
C3 Leader

Good cause statements are still coming, hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
The files still exist and are archived. As the new Calguns Foundation website is completed more information will be restored....
Vick

Picnic Time
Old 08-04-2013, 11:53 AM

I applies with HPD at the beginning of February. I was told that it would be a 2 month wait to hear anything. After 2 months I called and was told 4, after 4 I called and was told 6. Then I talked to the good people at the gun center and they told me that the Sheriff was now accepting all apps without having to go to HPD. I called the Sheriff's department and they confirmed this and said it was because HPD was making it so difficult. I did have to wait approx 3 months for my interview. They did give me my interview date as soon as I called. Hope this helps, my interview is next month.
Old 02-25-2014, 1:21 PM

I am getting ready to move to Lemoore and was wondering how difficult it is to get a CCW in Kings County.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwaddle View Post
I am getting ready to move to Lemoore and was wondering how difficult it is to get a CCW in Kings County.
call kings gun center they have all the info you need thier number is 559-585-2000 ask for Todd cotta, or Doug Hudson. But it's all pretty much the same thing lemoore residents have to go through I think a 6 or 8 hour course not sure but call kings gun center.

Last edited by ROAD_DOG; 02-25-2014 at 10:56 PM..
Old 02-26-2014, 9:08 AM

Kings County (Hanford PD) CCW Renewal Time Line

2/13/2014 - Completed 4 hour CCW renewal class (The Range in Fresno) $65

2/18/2014 - Provided HPD with course certificate, simple 1 page renewal application, $25 check for HPD and $52 money order for CA DOJ

2/26/2014 - Picked up CCW --- Restrictions = NONE

Pretty painless

Ruger SR9c / Ruger LCP / S&W M&P15 / Numerous Long Guns

Last edited by CodaMan; 02-26-2014 at 4:00 PM..
Old 02-26-2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodaMan View Post
Kings County (Hanford PD) CCW Renewal Time Line

2/13/2014 - Completed 4 hour CCW renewal class (The Range in Fresno) $65

2/18/2014 - Provided HPD with course certificate, simple 1 page renewal application, $25 check for HPD and $52 money order for CA DOJ

2/26/2014 - Picked up CCW

Pretty painless
What did you put for good cause I know that May not be looked upon but in case it's needed to put down
Old 02-27-2014, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD_DOG View Post
What did you put for good cause I know that May not be looked upon but in case it's needed to put down
PM'd you

Ruger SR9c / Ruger LCP / S&W M&P15 / Numerous Long Guns
Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I went to the KCSO's webpage (http://www.countyofkings.com/departm...-weapon-permit) and downloaded their Word document titled, "Application Packet for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon Permit (CCW)". It says:

Citizens who show good cause for carrying a concealed weapon may be eligible. The Sheriff, giving consideration to the reasons stated in the application, will determine good cause. Good cause may be determined by a clear and present danger to the life of, or threat of great bodily injury to, the applicant, spouse, children, or other member of the applicant's immediate family, which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed firearm. (emphasis added)

That sounds pretty much like the old CA AG's opinion letter re. GC from the 1970s....

Looks like KCSO will have to be monitored for compliance w/Peruta if/when the mandate issues.

I'll add this info to the OP for new visitors.

fwiw I did not find any info re. CCWs on Hanford PD's website:
http://www.ci.hanford.ca.us/depts/police/default.asp

Last edited by Paladin; 02-16-2015 at 11:21 AM..
Old 02-16-2015, 12:19 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed firearm
Looking for anyway to discourage applications, one can ALWAYS justify anything.
Resembles an escape clause.
The term reasonably is subjective.

Vick

Picnic Time
Old 02-26-2016, 3:07 PM
C3 Leader

Kings County Sheriff is less than 90 days for 2 folks I know in City of Lemoore.
No hassle at all.
One took the CCW course from the new Kings Gun Center in Hanford.
Qualification was easy, took 2 guns.
Appears the qual intent was to merely see or witness that you knew what you were doing with handgun and could handle it safely.
Also, there was no "Go through your City Chief of Police first" stuff, just straight forward processing.

This was first CCW for both and first time application.

Vick

Picnic Time

Last edited by Can'thavenuthingood; 02-26-2016 at 3:10 PM..
Old 04-08-2016, 5:40 PM

I just had my appointment today with Avenal PD I feel it went well for hung up on a question when the chief interviewed me but Monday I will go back to get finger prints done
Old 04-08-2016, 5:49 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
I just had my appointment today with Avenal PD I feel it went well for hung up on a question when the chief interviewed me but Monday I will go back to get finger prints done
Was there a reason you went to the Avenal PD Chief for interview rather than going straight to the county Sheriff?

Vick

Picnic Time
Old 04-08-2016, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Was there a reason you went to the Avenal PD Chief for interview rather than going straight to the county Sheriff?

Vick
County sheriff is a long waiting list to apply here at avenal pd I just called set up an appointment and done and from what I heard avenal police chief is pretty good at issuing
Old 04-09-2016, 6:25 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
County sheriff is a long waiting list to apply here at avenal pd I just called set up an appointment and done and from what I heard avenal police chief is pretty good at issuing
I thought the county Sheriff was the issuing authority?
Wouldn't you still have to go through the Sheriff?

Vick

Picnic Time
Old 04-11-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I thought the county Sheriff was the issuing authority?
Wouldn't you still have to go through the Sheriff?

Vick
Well before Avenal PD got initiated Kings County Sheriff was the policing force here so yeah sheriff was the issuing authority but now it's Avenal pd
Old 06-18-2017, 8:17 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Can anyone tell me what is accepted as Good Cause in Kings County these days? Is Self Defense sufficient or do they want more? If so, how much more? A little? A lot?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 06-19-2017, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Can anyone tell me what is accepted as Good Cause in Kings County these days? Is Self Defense sufficient or do they want more? If so, how much more? A little? A lot?
They want more. Good news is the wait time currently is a month. I know somebody that was just over a month, and more recently only 3 weeks from application to approval.

Definitely still may issue, but from what I hear they have been issuing a lot. Carrying large sums of money for your employment, working in agriculture irrigating late at night, going into dangerous neighborhoods for work(or do you live in a bad neighborhood?), having been involved in previous instances where cops/sheriff's have been called(could be home invasion in your neighborhood, car broken into while at a restaurant) every little thing added together helps. The more reasons you write chances are you will be fine. Just don't BS.

If you just put self defense or IT'S MY GOD GIVEN RIGHT you will for sure be denied(this has happened).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited by JB559; 06-19-2017 at 7:42 AM..
Old 06-19-2017, 7:42 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB559 View Post
They want more. Good news is the wait time currently is a month. I know somebody that was just over a month, and more recently only 3 weeks from application to approval.
Nice that the turn around time is so fast. Thanks for the info!
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 08-20-2020, 12:45 PM

Has anyone else here applied for a permit in Kings County since 2017? A friend was asking about what they needed to know and I always go to the Baggss map first (Thanks Baggss!) and since it's marked Moderate Good Cause, I'm assuming it's based on this last post from 2017. I'm also assuming that the current Sheriff David Robinson was the same one in office that issued the permit to the poster in 2017 (since policies usually change with different Sheriffs being elected).

I'm wondering if it's still moderate good cause, or if there's anything else they need to know.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2020, 10:50 PM

2019. Usual moderate good cause is appropriate. Don't submit a novel. If one has good cause, show it simply. Blowing smoke is a red flag. Turn around time is more than what it used to be. Patience is a virtue.
Old 05-16-2022, 3:06 PM

Refreshing this thread… looking to apply for Kings CCW. Any recent advice for good cause statement? Or recent denials for “self defense”?

Thanks all
Old 05-30-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMark9 View Post
Refreshing this thread… looking to apply for Kings CCW. Any recent advice for good cause statement? Or recent denials for “self defense”?

Thanks all
Have not heard of anybody post pandemic lockdowns apply personally, renewals during lockdowns were delayed from normal turn around but not unreasonably so.

Same sheriff, same stuff from above applies I assume.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk