Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 11-04-2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig-guy View Post
Hi folks,

Posting this question for my brother-in-law who lives in Alpine Forest -- He's totally off-grid. His cars are registered to his address, but he's a renter so no property tax bill. What can he use as a second proof of residence? The ccw app clearly says no cell phone. Does DirecTV or HugesNet satellite internet qualify?

thanks
I used my car registration and my Bright House Networks internet service bill and they accepted it.
Old 12-02-2014, 6:34 PM

Received it on my birthday of all days!
9/10: Submit application
10/8: Call from Sargeant asking if I plan to carry at work
10/10: Received approval letter!
10/18: Take class through Craig Powers
10/23: Complete Livescan
12/2: Receive call and pickup!

Last edited by mds2004; 12-03-2014 at 5:26 AM..
Old 01-13-2015, 4:53 AM

Huh...We share a birthday.

Welcome, brother Ophiucus!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I've always heard Kern SO was CCW friendly, but do they accept SD as sufficient GC?

Their website under their "Frequent Questions" page (http://www.kernsheriff.com/misc/FAQ/Pages/default.aspx) has:
Q. How do I qualify for a Concealed Weapons Permit?

A. Contact the Vice / Licensing Unit for information on the application procedure. Their phone number is: 661-391-7500.

The initial page of the linked CCW application (standard DOJ form) has the below, but it does not mention GC either (http://www.kernsheriff.com/misc/Form...s/default.aspx):

Quote:
KERN COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE
1350 NORRIS ROAD BLD. B BAKERSFIELD, CA 93308 MONDAY thru FRIDAY 8:00am – 3:30pm (661) 391-7788
COMPLETE THE ENTIRE APPLICATION!!!
If a question does not apply to you, please indicate with “N/A” **DO NOT TAKE YOUR 8HR TRAINING COURSE UNTIL YOUR APPLICATION HAS
BEEN APPROVED Per PC 26165(d)/PC 26202
DO NOT SIGN - Pages 3, 8 and 11
A FIREARM must be listed on Page 5 in order to process your application (up to 10 firearms can be on your permit).
COMPLETE THE INVESTIGATOR’S INTERVIEW NOTES - Pages 9-10
YOU MUST PRESENT A VALID CALIFORNIA DRIVERS LICENSE:
With your CURRENT PHYSICAL address. If it does not have your physical address or it lists a PO BOX, include the “BROWN CARD” (DMV form DL43) you will carry with your license. NO EXCEPTIONS. You must notify the Sheriff’s Office within ten (10) days of any address changes.
YOU MUST ALSO PROVIDE (2)(different) CURRENT ORIGINAL PROOFS OF RESIDENCE in KERN COUNTY w/the address you have listed in the application:
DMV Vehicle Registration - Current Year
Utility Bill - Service address on second page, not mail address (bring entire bill)
Phone Bill (NO cell bills) - Must list service address, not mail address
Property Tax Statement – 2013/2014 Year statement with location description (top right corner)
(Copies/On-line bills WILL NOT be honored. Spouses bills will be acknowledged) **If you get on-line bills you need to go to that agency and have them type you a letter stating you have service at this address and have them stamp it with their business stamp and initial it. PLEASE DO NOT BRING IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT IS LISTED AS PROOFS OF RESIDENCE AS THEY WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Applicant must be a United States Citizen
Applicant may not be on any type of probation
Applicant must not have any felony convictions
Applicant must be at least 21 years of age and reside in the County of Kern
Any Applicant with an arrest or conviction in the last five (5) years is generally disqualified.
 Private Investigators applying for A CCW license must provide his/her Private Investigator license and the Department of Consumer Affairs Bureau of Security and Investigative Services exposed weapons permit.
 Any applicant whose request to carry a firearm that includes their place of employment, must submit with the application a letter from his/her employer. This letter must acknowledge the fact the employer knows and approves of the applicant carrying a firearm while working.
You will receive a letter of approval/denial in approximately 12 weeks. If you are approved, you must finish the process within 90 days. THERE ARE NO REIMBURSEMENT FEES.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-05-2015 at 11:22 PM..
Old 01-14-2015, 10:47 AM

Emphasize being isolated from LE in remote areas and any physical limitation that would prevent you from getting away or defending yourself. It worked for me.
Old 01-16-2015, 8:53 PM

Dropped off application in Ridgecrest on 1 Dec 14

Was told it would take 4 to 6 months to hear back.

Got the approval letter today, 16 Jan 15

...Now on to take the class!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peragro View Post
Dropped off application in Ridgecrest on 1 Dec 14

Was told it would take 4 to 6 months to hear back.

Got the approval letter today, 16 Jan 15

...Now on to take the class!
Congrats!

Did you use more than "self-defense" for GC? If so, can you paraphrase what you used?
Old 02-06-2015, 3:37 PM

Basically, said that I spend time in remote locations, sometimes with expensive equipment, which I do. Didn't really use self-defense up front but alluded to it.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:41 AM

Thus far, my timeline has been consistent with what others have posted. Don't remember exact dates, but got the letter about a month after submitting the application. Went in for fingerprints last week - looks like this is the step that varies the most in terms of wait time, so I'll post an update when I get the call.

In the meantime, I heard (well, I read a rumor on the internet, haha) that Kern County is switching over to a hard card instead of the paper... for those of you who picked it up recently, was it still paper?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRR View Post
Emphasize being isolated from LE in remote areas and any physical limitation that would prevent you from getting away or defending yourself. It worked for me.
Quote:
Basically, said that I spend time in remote locations, sometimes with expensive equipment, which I do. Didn't really use self-defense up front but alluded to it.
Thx. At this point I'll just add a "thumbs-up" to the thread title. Sounds like being a regular hiker might get you a CCW.

Seems like you guys are in the same boat as Solano and Riverside where it is not difficult to pass GC, but they don't (yet?) accept mere SD as GC either.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-03-2015 at 10:11 AM..
Old 03-04-2015, 2:38 PM

Default Kern CCW

I am a retired senior citizen, with a spotless record; not so much as a traffic ticket in probably a decade. I have applied at the Sheriffs office a total of 3 times in the past 3+ years, and have been denied each and every time. The reason stated is "no just cause". I am not willing to play the game, getting a business license, etc; I feel this is BS!! Personal protection should be "Just Cause"!!
Old 03-09-2015, 9:09 PM

Quick update on the process.

Took the CCW 8 hour course on 21 Feb with High Desert Defense in Ridgecrest, CA. I enjoyed the class and both instructors were very helpful and good guys. I would recommend them.

Wasn't able to go to Bakersfield until today to show birth certificate, training certificate and all the handguns (busy schedule). Things went pretty smooth. I thought it was a bit awkward when it came time to show the guns I had listed on the permit. I put 6 on there and brought them with in a duffle bag. You're required to have cable locks through them. You're also showing the clerk each gun for a serial number check right there in the lobby at the window with everyone else waiting in line behind you and sitting in chairs waiting to be served. This was kind of weird to me. Especially since they take you back behind the closed door to do the fingerprinting. Seems like it would be a better idea to do the gun check then, out of the public. But, I don't make the rules. Fingerprinting went smoothly. She took 2 sets in case one was messed up so that I wouldn't have to drive back again from Ridgecrest. I asked her about the rumored new plastic cards. She said that they have the machine and they're ready to go, they just need the ok from DoJ to proceed. No idea how long that would take. She said it would be possible to change out the rice-paper card with a plastic one when they're up and running with it. She mentioned that it's been running at least 2 months and probably longer from fingerprinting to getting the license due to DoJ being the issuing authority. Apparently, they're backed up or something.

Anyway, that was my experience. Now the 2-3 month wait - hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.
Old 03-10-2015, 7:39 AM

Good info - hopefully they're just doing some "expectation management" with the 2-3 month estimate. I would have sworn I've been waiting on the call for 3 months already, but according to the calendar it hasn't even been 3 weeks, haha. On the bright side, maybe the DOJ approval for the plastic cards will come in just before they're ready to print the license...
Old 03-23-2015, 2:39 AM

My timeline-Kern County
Did livescan 01/14/2015
Call from Sheriff my permit is ready 03/19/2015 :
Total 9 weeks and one day
No hard card still paper license.
Have a good day!!!!
Old 03-23-2015, 6:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1977 View Post
My timeline-Kern County
Did livescan 01/14/2015
Total 9 weeks and one day....

Can you give us a rough idea of your Good Cause statements? Did you use more than mere "self-defense"/"personal protection"? If so, how much more?
Old 03-23-2015, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1977 View Post
My timeline-Kern County
Did livescan 01/14/2015
Total 9 weeks and one day
No hard card still paper license.
Have a good day!!!!
I was told last December that hard cards were supposed to start 1 Jan. Obviously not. Did you get a new timeline for this?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in California View Post
I was told last December that hard cards were supposed to start 1 Jan. Obviously not. Did you get a new timeline for this?
I was ask but no timeline.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Can you give us a rough idea of your Good Cause statements? Did you use more than mere "self-defense"/"personal protection"? If so, how much more?
Just self defense-have small business.
Old 04-22-2015, 7:36 PM

did the live scan today... and the waiting starts. by the way, the ladies at the live scan for kern county are very friendly and knowledgeable.

my time line
March 4 2015 turned in paper works
March 15 2015 took the class at powers firearms
April 17 2015 received the approval letter
April 22 2015 live scan
Old 05-18-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by right_on View Post
did the live scan today... and the waiting starts. by the way, the ladies at the live scan for kern county are very friendly and knowledgeable.

my time line
April 22 2015 live scan
going on only the 4th week... and it felt like a year and forever of waiting lol. hopefully i get a call sooner or later.

anyone have any updates on theirs that's somewhat have the same time line as mine? i see the average is between 5-12 weeks and anything in between.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 AM

Picked mine up toward the beginning of this month... Took right around 11 weeks. Wish I had a better update for you, I know waiting sucks. Maybe you'll get lucky though
Old 05-18-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Picked mine up toward the beginning of this month... Took right around 11 weeks. Wish I had a better update for you, I know waiting sucks. Maybe you'll get lucky though
it's ok, that's better than most of the other updates you rear/hear around the neighboring counties. thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:

Took the CCW 8 hour course on 21 Feb with High Desert Defense in Ridgecrest, CA. I enjoyed the class and both instructors were very helpful and good guys. I would recommend them.

Wasn't able to go to Bakersfield until today to show birth certificate, training certificate and all the handguns (busy schedule). Things went pretty smooth. I thought it was a bit awkward when it came time to show the guns I had listed on the permit. I put 6 on there and brought them with in a duffle bag. You're required to have cable locks through them. You're also showing the clerk each gun for a serial number check right there in the lobby at the window with everyone else waiting in line behind you and sitting in chairs waiting to be served. This was kind of weird to me. Especially since they take you back behind the closed door to do the fingerprinting. Seems like it would be a better idea to do the gun check then, out of the public. But, I don't make the rules. Fingerprinting went smoothly. She took 2 sets in case one was messed up so that I wouldn't have to drive back again from Ridgecrest. I asked her about the rumored new plastic cards. She said that they have the machine and they're ready to go, they just need the ok from DoJ to proceed. No idea how long that would take. She said it would be possible to change out the rice-paper card with a plastic one when they're up and running with it. She mentioned that it's been running at least 2 months and probably longer from fingerprinting to getting the license due to DoJ being the issuing authority. Apparently, they're backed up or something.

Anyway, that was my experience. Now the 2-3 month wait - hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.
Got the call today to come pick up. She said it's a paper card, they don't have plastic yet. So, 9 Mar was when I did Livescan with the Sherriff. DOJ took from then until now to run it. Of course, I left today for a business trip for this week so won't be able to pick up until Friday...
Old 07-01-2015, 9:50 AM

bump! i think it's 70 days since livescan... or 10 weeks ago. still waiting for the call from kern county.

my time line
update!

my time line
April 22 2015 live scan
July 7 2015 issue date

Last edited by right_on; 07-17-2015 at 9:27 AM..
Old 08-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Just a heads up....
Kern Co. is now letting you put up to 10 handguns on your permit.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-03-2015, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44fred View Post
Just a heads up....
Kern Co. is now letting you put up to 10 handguns on your permit.
I have 10 on mine but still no plastic card as of last week.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:38 AM

Can't pick it up until tomorrow but I got the call yesterday.

5-28 submitted
6-17 Approval letter
7-14 class
7-20 livescan and Arizona app mailed
7-28 Arizona permit received
9-21 Ca received

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
-- George Washington
Old 09-22-2015, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD929 View Post
Can't pick it up until tomorrow but I got the call yesterday.

5-28 submitted
6-17 Approval letter
7-14 class
7-20 livescan and Arizona app mailed
7-28 Arizona permit received
9-21 Ca received
Awesome, congrats!

Alex

“We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” - Ronald Reagan
Old 10-30-2015, 7:33 AM

Default started

Submitted paperwork early September. Have not heard anything yet

Update: Received letter of approval November 3rd.

Last edited by ferrisb1; 11-08-2015 at 7:57 AM..
Old 12-27-2015, 10:04 PM

Hi everyone,
glad to see alot of others from bakersfield.

I am in the process of getting my CCW also. Already finished everything just waiting for my phone call.

Turned in App 8/7/2015
Approval letter 10/7/2015
Livescan was 10/15/2015 still waiting for my call

i am 10 weeks since Live Scan was done, i been reading that the times for the phone call seem to be getting longer and longer...
Old 01-04-2016, 1:24 PM

Default help writing good cause letter

Hi, I am in need of some help to write a letter of good cause for my dad who lives in Kern County. Can anyone help me.?!
Old 01-23-2016, 4:43 PM

update on my permit.. 15 weeks in kern county still waiting for phone call...
Old 01-26-2016, 2:24 PM

Any idea how long it takes to get approval letter? I received mine in 2 weeks but have a friend who is on day 20 and hasn't received anything yet
Old 02-29-2016, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1967 View Post
Any idea how long it takes to get approval letter? I received mine in 2 weeks but have a friend who is on day 20 and hasn't received anything yet
I know someone that's been waiting a little over a month for his. He said when he went in to drop the app off, there were about 12 people already signed in on the clipboard for that morning, and several more came in while he was waiting. Must be backed up due to demand.
Old 03-10-2016, 6:52 PM

Anybody here got any updates on how long it is taking for doj clearance in kern county?
Old 03-10-2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSierraDrifter View Post
I know someone that's been waiting a little over a month for his. He said when he went in to drop the app off, there were about 12 people already signed in on the clipboard for that morning, and several more came in while he was waiting. Must be backed up due to demand.
Update: He just got his approval letter, a little over a month.
Old 03-10-2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1967 View Post
Anybody here got any updates on how long it is taking for doj clearance in kern county?
Friend's letter said expect to wait 16-18 weeks, but that's not real world.
Old 03-14-2016, 4:54 PM

Got an unique issue.

I just submitted my app last week (3/9/16) and awaiting the next step.

Issue is, I just received a call to interview for a job I applied for recently which completely negates my GC which is centered around my current job scope and such.

Will this create an issue?
If I get the job in the middle of the process. What will I have to do? Will I need a new GC? resubmit a new app?
Old 03-17-2016, 9:41 PM

Hello, man it feels awesome to read this. I'm moving up to Bakersfield soon from LA County so I can't wait to apply for this.

Anyone know if living in Kern County but working in LA County might be an issue? I'd be driving early mornings, late nights etc. I'm also a therapist that is on call often so I would be responding to crisis calls at all times of the day if needed. I think my job might be an issue but if anything could I say that when I'm in therapy sessions it will be locked and secured in my car inside a car safe? Or should I only answer that if asked?
Old 03-17-2016, 10:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmartinez614 View Post
Hello, man it feels awesome to read this. I'm moving up to Bakersfield soon from LA County so I can't wait to apply for this.

Anyone know if living in Kern County but working in LA County might be an issue? I'd be driving early mornings, late nights etc. I'm also a therapist that is on call often so I would be responding to crisis calls at all times of the day if needed. I think my job might be an issue but if anything could I say that when I'm in therapy sessions it will be locked and secured in my car inside a car safe? Or should I only answer that if asked?
You shouldn't have any issue. As long as you live in kern county, that should be fine. My good cause was due to traveling to remote areas around the county and also out of the county. You won't have to specify about storage in a safe.

Just remember though, they may want to speak with your supervisor if you are using a work related reason . They verified with my supervisor that he was aware I applied for a ccw