Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-12-2012, 7:03 PM

The rebate notice was in the 2012 dick's catalog. I believe it may be a dick's promotion. Will find out if too good to be true next week. The countdown has begun
Old 09-12-2012, 7:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Are they making the kick *** trigger for the model 60 as well? I have a 60, a revelation, and a 795.
Old 09-12-2012, 7:21 PM

Looking for sling mounts for my VTAC sling. Should I just use plain key rings and call it a day?
Old 09-12-2012, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
Are they making the kick *** trigger for the model 60 as well? I have a 60, a revelation, and a 795.
ArrowDodger does make the KAT for both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbatesmotel View Post
The rebate notice was in the 2012 dick's catalog. I believe it may be a dick's promotion. Will find out if too good to be true next week. The countdown has begun
Interesting, let us know how it goes!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:02 PM

Thats the best price out there. I'll fall off my seat if he gets it for $129-25. There is no mention of the 795 or 60 on the web site or the weekly flyer. Was a 2012 catalog referring to old prices and promotions or is it a sale going on this moment?

Last edited by CharlesV; 09-12-2012 at 10:14 PM..
Old 09-12-2012, 11:01 PM

the $129 is a sale going on this moment. The 2012 catalog was sitting on the counter and I was thumbing thru it during paperwork when I came across the mention of it under the Marlin description. Asked the clerk and he said he would get one from the front counter rebate folder but said they didnt have any more. Said he would look for one and put it with the 795 for pickup day. I guess I will see if was live or an old promo when I pick it up. Would be nice to get an extra mag or two, so crossing fingers.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 AM

Can you tell me the dates of this sale? Im out of town until 26th but am buying a 60 and 795 so sure would like to cut the price. I have a DSG not far from me.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
Can you tell me the dates of this sale? Im out of town until 26th but am buying a 60 and 795 so sure would like to cut the price. I have a DSG not far from me.
No Dicks in SoCal sell firearms that I am aware of.
I emailed their customer support a year or two ago and asked and they said that they could not tell me which ones did and that I would have to call each store individually.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
No Dicks in SoCal sell firearms that I am aware of.
I emailed their customer support a year or two ago and asked and they said that they could not tell me which ones did and that I would have to call each store individually.
i called a few and felt stupid when i asked for the hunting department and was told "umm...we don't have one"
Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 AM

OIC....bizarre...I hear about DSG all the time on Calguns, they must be referring to....where? Why advertise guns on a company website if you dont sell guns but limitedly? Ok, no help here.
Old 09-13-2012, 1:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Guess they sell them in Norcal..
Too bad they have had some sales I would have jumped on too
Old 09-13-2012, 1:36 AM

I just about snarfed oatmeal on ($129-25) myself. Thats not enough bragging rights to top a fellow on Youtube who paid ($124-25) but it would do.
Old 09-13-2012, 2:02 AM
Calguns Addict

haha! Well mine might not have been 124-29 but I did get mine at (if I remember correct) 135-25 so 110 ain't bad at all..
Old 09-13-2012, 3:10 AM

The video was funny.......the guy is about 80 and doing a open-the-box video. "look at this you guys! 99 bucks!! 99 bucks you guys!!! HAAAAAAAA!" and im burning, ok im going to strangle that dog!!
Old 09-14-2012, 7:09 AM

Asked how long sale was on for and clerk stated he didnt have a date, so I jumped on it while it was in front of me.

Yes I am in NoCal
Old 09-14-2012, 12:38 PM

I still cannot decide between firesights and tech sights...i like how the tech sight is so precise but doesn't work too well in low light, and they're also plastic

firesights i like because theyre damn bright and metal.

i'd like to be able to shoot 100 yards with iron sights and am planning to do some appleseed stuff next time they come around. this makes me sway towards tech sights since i doubt ill be shooting in such low light i cant see the sights at all or i can add some neon paint. but they are plastic after all, how durable are these things? if it slips off a table and falls on the sight will they snap?
Old 09-14-2012, 1:17 PM

Well then is Skinner the alternative for this type of sight? I prefer not to use a scope but a cheapie does work just fine. I see the value in all these and its hard to decide.
Old 09-14-2012, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
Well then is Skinner the alternative for this type of sight? I prefer not to use a scope but a cheapie does work just fine. I see the value in all these and its hard to decide.
isnt the skinner only a rear sight?

and can anyone verify the material of the tech sights...ive read its steel/alum. and others say plastic.
Old 09-14-2012, 1:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooodstevenn View Post
I still cannot decide between firesights and tech sights...i like how the tech sight is so precise but doesn't work too well in low light, and they're also plastic

firesights i like because theyre damn bright and metal.

i'd like to be able to shoot 100 yards with iron sights and am planning to do some appleseed stuff next time they come around. this makes me sway towards tech sights since i doubt ill be shooting in such low light i cant see the sights at all or i can add some neon paint. but they are plastic after all, how durable are these things? if it slips off a table and falls on the sight will they snap?
For my tech sight, I got a fiber optic AR front sight post. You have to cut the screw down to fit, and super glue the base so that it can't rotate, but it is about as good as it gets without being self illuminated. The front sight isn't plastic. It is metal. I don't recall which parts are plastic, but it didn't feel cheap or fragile. Maybe there were old versions that were. I got mine earlier this year.
Old 09-14-2012, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox485 View Post
For my tech sight, I got a fiber optic AR front sight post. You have to cut the screw down to fit, and super glue the base so that it can't rotate, but it is about as good as it gets without being self illuminated. The front sight isn't plastic. It is metal. I don't recall which parts are plastic, but it didn't feel cheap or fragile. Maybe there were old versions that were. I got mine earlier this year.
okay, just wanted to make sure they're solid. just bought them directly from tech-sights.com
Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Both the Marlins I have are MM generation, will take apart to look at the pins today if I get to it, in the meantime here is a craptastic picture which shows the QR code on the one I bought NIB from Big5. that little box to teh far right next to the H in the SN pretty much looks like a QR code but the resolution of it is pretty darn low even in person.

Untitled by rkt88edmo, on Flickr
Old 09-15-2012, 3:03 PM

About plastic parts,
I dont yet have tech sights but never once have i heard any bad thing about them breaking or otherwise not being durable. I have no hesitation to trust them.

But what what plastic are we talking about? My experience is this, Nylon is tougher than nails, i cant even file on it; ABS can shatter if its very thin; Polycarbonate can break but has a huge bounce factor builtin, it would not be easy to break it; Acrylic can shatter or crack relatively easily. What does tech sights use? Ask them.

About metal,
Im more wary of metal parts-- MIM its called? I dont even consider that steel and i hate it. I have previously broken parts made of that. On that topic, most guns today incorporate that material in the trigger groups, like my Marlin 336. Can older steel parts be exchanged one by one? My friends 1980 Mod 60 is all steel, can parts be ordered from Marlin to exchange and get all steel back in the rifles? Is there any reason not to do this?
Old 09-15-2012, 5:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I will throw in here, that if you're ever cleaning your 795, DON'T for the love of God use Gunscrubber from Birchwood Casey because it will flat out EAT your trigger group. I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new FCG after using it on accident one day. I thought I had CLP and I was really really wrong.
Old 09-16-2012, 8:06 AM

anyone here end up polishing their reciever and bolt?
Old 09-16-2012, 8:24 AM

Quote:
anyone here end up polishing their reciever and bolt?
I think Chaos47 might have, but I'm not 100% sure... I believe it comes down to Flitz, Dremel, and polishing wheel. Break down the 795 and get that crappy overspray and machining polished away.
REDACTED
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

I have polished my bolt but not like 1000% crazy like some people go.

I used simichrome polish as that is what I have on hand. I have seen other people that used Flitz or Mothers on parts (Generally AK bolt carrier) they can get things crazy shiny..

The inside of my receivers are not even 100% free of paint. I just shot mine and let it remove it on the points of contact.

I have been thinking of removing it all and polishing it up a bit but I probably won't as there really ins't a benefit.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I have polished my bolt but not like 1000% crazy like some people go.

I used simichrome polish as that is what I have on hand. I have seen other people that used Flitz or Mothers on parts (Generally AK bolt carrier) they can get things crazy shiny..

The inside of my receivers are not even 100% free of paint. I just shot mine and let it remove it on the points of contact.

I have been thinking of removing it all and polishing it up a bit but I probably won't as there really ins't a benefit.
I've been considering it just to get rid of the overspray and some of the machining marks. It's the only place they show; otherwise, the rifle seems well built and I've had not hiccups with it.
REDACTED
Old 09-16-2012, 8:05 PM

i just picked up my rifle today and immediatly cleaned it out and shot a box of ammo through it. at times i was able to shoot maybe nickel size one hole groups benched at 40 feet (i assume its feet, the ground was just marked 10,20,30,40) with stock everything. I took it home after and cleaned it out again since it was filthy after 500 rounds and weakened the sear spring and took the trigger return out completely. i was going to cut a coil out of the hammer spring but i was having some hiccups at the range so i didnt want to take the chance, i will explain what happened below after this paragraph. after my mods i dropped it, hit it, etc. and the hammer did not drop. i did hit it hard enough that the bolt flew back and ejected the round though...picked it up and pulled the trigger and it went click, so all seems well!

range problem:

i would load ready to fire and pulled the trigger

i felt the click but nothing happened

i pulled again felt a click, nothing again

pulled, click and boom...round went off.

im not too sure what was happening...maybe i wasn't pulling the trigger hard enough? im thinking if its human error i might have been squezzing and just felt a fake click and thought that was the hammer dropping but was mistaken?
Old 09-16-2012, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Where you pulling the bolt back to recock it between each of those clicks?

If not then there is no way it actually tipped the sear. If the hammer dropped it would have to be recocked by pulling the bolt back. Apparently you where not pulling hard enough.

If you where actually tipping the sear and dropping the hammer and it did not go off then apparently you have lightened something too much. (Or had dud rounds)

You should be able to tell when the hammer drops, you should be able to hear it and feel it in the trigger as it will now have extra slack towards the rear (over travel)

Go ahead and dry fire your rifle a couple times and get a feel for the trigger and what it sounds like when the hammer drops. A few dryfires probably won't break anything even though its a 22lr, just don't dryfire it a bunch.

By removing the trigger return spring your trigger will feel more like a 2 stage trigger, you should take up the slack and press till the sear tips.

You weren't doing drop tests with a live round where you?!
Old 09-16-2012, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Where you pulling the bolt back to recock it between each of those clicks?

If not then there is no way it actually tipped the sear. If the hammer dropped it would have to be recocked by pulling the bolt back. Apparently you where not pulling hard enough.

If you where actually tipping the sear and dropping the hammer and it did not go off then apparently you have lightened something too much. (Or had dud rounds)

You should be able to tell when the hammer drops, you should be able to hear it and feel it in the trigger as it will now have extra slack towards the rear (over travel)

Go ahead and dry fire your rifle a couple times and get a feel for the trigger and what it sounds like when the hammer drops. A few dryfires probably won't break anything even though its a 22lr, just don't dryfire it a bunch.

By removing the trigger return spring your trigger will feel more like a 2 stage trigger, you should take up the slack and press till the sear tips.

You weren't doing drop tests with a live round where you?!
yeah, i think i was just not pressing hard enough. those problems were when it was all stock. after the range was when i did some trigger work. also no live rounds haha, got a pack of snap caps!

and will taking a coil out of my hammer spring make it any less reliable when striking? or is the factory spring a little over kill in the first place?

Last edited by dooodstevenn; 09-16-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Old 09-17-2012, 7:48 PM

so i did the hammer spring mod and tested it out on some snap caps...the new strikes are noticeably lighter but not by much. I went to the range today and shot some winchester super x ammo and had alot of FTF almost one in ever mag of 10 (something i did not have shooting remington golden ball ammo, which i should have kept to compare but i shot it all...) comparably i shot CCI mini-mags and only had 1 FTF out of a brick of 100. so im not too sure what is happening here whether it is the ammo or the hammer spring. i also noticed that the strikes on the winchester ammo was not as deep as the CCI which makes me think the CCI is more malleable and easier to set off? can anyone help me with this?

also look what i did at 50 feet! yeah yeah 50 feet not so impressive and the groups next to is are pretty bad but i was just sighting in and benched this shot to see if i was close.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Let it all fail
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox485 View Post
The front sight isn't plastic. It is metal. I don't recall which parts are plastic, but it didn't feel cheap or fragile. Maybe there were old versions that were. I got mine earlier this year.
I second this. Mine are all metal.
Old 09-18-2012, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elx144 View Post
I second this. Mine are all metal.
I double checked mine. All parts are metal. If it were my design, there would be changes, but for what it is, it is good to go.
Old 09-19-2012, 7:28 PM

got tech sights, they are indeed completely metal....also winchester super X .22 ammo SUCKS i had a bunch of FTF again, i tried it with a pack of remington golden ball, 200 rounds not one FTF so far
Old 09-19-2012, 9:53 PM

Quote:
got tech sights, they are indeed completely metal....also winchester super X .22 ammo SUCKS i had a bunch of FTF again, i tried it with a pack of remington golden ball, 200 rounds not one FTF so far
I preach MiniMags for the 795, also looking at the CCI Tactical as it's copper-plated and that's in 375rd bulk packs.

I've put around 250 rds of MiniMags through my 795 and only had 1 FTFire, perfect feeding and ejection, even with new mags (for a 22 with new mags, I was amazed!!!). Well worth the slight bump in price for better consistency, accuracy, and reliability.
REDACTED
Old 09-19-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBoost View Post
I preach MiniMags for the 795, also looking at the CCI Tactical as it's copper-plated and that's in 375rd bulk packs.

I've put around 250 rds of MiniMags through my 795 and only had 1 FTFire, perfect feeding and ejection, even with new mags (for a 22 with new mags, I was amazed!!!). Well worth the slight bump in price for better consistency, accuracy, and reliability.
the more and more i shoot the more i want to be super accurate so i think i will upgrade to using CCI and using remington or federal or the cheaper ammo to just shoot for the heck of it, to sight in i used CCI mini mag and i noticed it was alot more accurate than the winchester. how do the bulk cci compare the the min mags?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamaz View Post
"If you want to get to know people, learn their music. Then learn their cooking. Then watch how your kids play together."

Hey, Gurney, this is a great saying or quote! Did you originate it?
Sorry to be slow in response, Shamazz - I haven't been around much the last few weeks. To answer your question, the ideas aren't original, but the phrasing and application is mine.
Old 09-21-2012, 9:38 AM

Hey, thanks, Gurney! Great ideas succinctly stated; part of the credo by which I live: great music, great food, and fun, safe play, some of it with firearms.
Old 09-21-2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
the more and more i shoot the more i want to be super accurate so i think i will upgrade to using CCI and using remington or federal or the cheaper ammo to just shoot for the heck of it, to sight in i used CCI mini mag and i noticed it was alot more accurate than the winchester. how do the bulk cci compare the the min mags?
MiniMags are great; haven't shot bulk CCI, just MiniMags and going to try the CCI 'Tactical' 375rd bulk pack just to see how that fares. Only other .22 ammo (Out of other .22s) I have shot was Federal Bulk (not bad, but still FTE and feed) and Remington Golden Bullet Bulk and it was trash; FTE, FTFires, only thing they did consistently was feed.
REDACTED
Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

I shoot CCI bulk out of all of my .22s and don't recall every having a problem. Get pretty good accuracy too considering it's bulk. The Federal bulk was good too; I just got better accuracy with the CCI.