Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-20-2015, 4:24 PM

My understanding is that I have to notify my IA within 10 days of my move and that since my license was granted based on where I live and not where I work. my license expires 90 days thereafter. I'm really surprised California has gotten away with the structure of these laws for so long, but it seems the majority of people in this state enjoy big government and limited rights.

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...er-county.html

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=277014
Old 01-01-2016, 2:09 PM

in times past, i thought i saw a thread with examples of 'just cause' or 'good cause' letters for alameda county, but now I cannot find it. could anyone please point me to the link or thread?
thanks!

Last edited by Oaktown Gal; 01-01-2016 at 2:47 PM..
Old 01-01-2016, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktown Gal View Post
in times past, i thought i saw a thread with examples of 'just cause' or 'good cause' letters for alameda county, but now I cannot find it. could anyone please point me to the link or thread?
thanks!
I am not sure why Calguns Foundation removed the link but the alamedagc_p#.pdfs are still searchable.

Mod, please remove if it's against forum policy to post this.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j6p2004 View Post
I am not sure why Calguns Foundation removed the link
Because they were what flew a half a decade ago....
Old 01-23-2016, 5:16 AM

Hate to ruin your day, but it is virtually impossible to get a CCW in Alameda Co.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Hate to ruin your day, but it is virtually impossible to get a CCW in Alameda Co.
Why is that?
Old 04-04-2016, 6:24 PM

Whatever happened to Oaklander?
Old 04-07-2016, 5:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFan26 View Post
Why is that?
Because Sheriff Ahern wants to keep the law-abiding residents of Ala Co vulnerable to attack to justify his department's budget and satisfy his delusions that our LE "heroes" are a "thin blue line" and are the only thing keeping us sheeple safe from the ravaging wolves in society.... Without them, anarchy would reign! (Just like it did for the first 100 years or so of our country's history prior to the importation of the idea of a police force.)

It is kinda hard to think of yourself as the "alpha male" when a bunch of other males and females (and LGBTs) of all (adult) ages are also packing.

Last edited by Paladin; 06-12-2019 at 10:51 AM..
Old 04-10-2016, 7:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
An article in this Sunday's SF Chronicle says that 71 y.o. BART Director John McPartland is one of 222 people with a CCW in Alameda County. His good cause was #BLM.

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist
Old 07-03-2016, 3:27 PM

I stand corrected. You can get a CCW in Alameda CO. as long as your name is Jesus Christ...
Old 07-21-2016, 1:43 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected. You can get a CCW in Alameda CO. as long as your name is Jesus Christ...
I just spoke to JC. He said he got denied. He was told the threats to him from the Romans were not specific enough and applied to all claimants to the title of King of the Jews. He's quite bummed
Old 07-29-2016, 6:17 PM

That's funny right there- I don't care who you are...
Old 08-06-2016, 4:23 PM

Just requalified at the ACSO range in Dublin. Shot a 244/250 with my new Kimber Ultra II CDP! Good to meet a fellow Calgunner for the first time and see him shoot even better!!

Heard today that the Alameda County CCW count was now closer to 250 individuals- not good, but Rome was not built in a day.

Hope everyone reading this is safe and please get those applications in.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:51 PM

Great news, glad you shot well... I'm guessing the other Calgunner who shot better had to be Jesus Christ right??? LOL

Last edited by LandLord; 08-07-2016 at 10:54 PM..
Old 09-02-2016, 6:03 AM

Hey folks. I was PM'd last night that another Calgunner is now part of the "good guy with a gun" club in Alameda County. Congratulations to him and his family.

So it is possible to get your CCW even in this County. Takes 15 months but it does happen.

Last edited by Suture1; 09-02-2016 at 6:06 AM.. Reason: Redundant info
Old 09-03-2016, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suture1 View Post
Hey folks. I was PM'd last night that another Calgunner is now part of the "good guy with a gun" club in Alameda County. Congratulations to him and his family.

So it is possible to get your CCW even in this County. Takes 15 months but it does happen.
May I ask what cause this calgunner use for CCW application? I am seriously considering to apply but don't think I get a strong cause.
Old 09-09-2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi4 View Post
May I ask what cause this calgunner use for CCW application? I am seriously considering to apply but don't think I get a strong cause.
Yea a bit more info would be nice, did he use proof that he was being directly hunted by Isis? Or just simply put self defense.....
Old 09-18-2016, 4:21 PM

I'm new to this section of the forums.

Is Oakland PD still a good to go agency for ccw?

First post says it is but hasn't been updated in awhile. And I'm surprised that it is.

I'm considering a move and CCW friendly will play a HUGE part of the decision to where I move to.
"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." —Thomas Jefferson (1823)
Old 09-21-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aK- View Post
I'm new to this section of the forums.

Is Oakland PD still a good to go agency for ccw?

I'm considering a move and CCW friendly will play a HUGE part of the decision to where I move to.
I can guarantee you will not get one in Oakland without higher connections. Oakland PD will laugh you out and Alameda Sheriff will likely tell you to call in so you can talk to that hag who will question your morals just for asking info about a permit.

Send me pics of your: Colt Detective Special, AMT Hardballer, pre-64 Winchester Model 70. I'm looking for them.
Old 09-22-2016, 5:15 AM

-AK-, while Livermore is a great town, I got disgusted with their CCW policy and moved over the hill to Tracy. San Joaquin is much more receptive to issuing CCW's which I received after a years wait. Now the commute to Livermore from Tracy is another matter entirely...
Old 09-23-2016, 8:29 PM

Lol, ok good to know.

Yeah, that altamont commute doesn't sound fun at all.

Well, hrmmm.....

Benicia is looking like next best thing.
"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." —Thomas Jefferson (1823)
Old 10-03-2016, 9:07 PM

I am almost finished with my letter of good cause and am planning to apply for my CCW later this week. Does anyone know if the 3 references that have lived in Alameda County for over 3 years are required? I moved from Vallejo to Oakland about three years ago to work in San Francisco and the majority of my local friends are in San Francisco.
Old 02-15-2017, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Old 04-24-2017, 8:14 PM

Default Bart Hoodlums

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/article146434389.html

I wonder why they picked the train to Dublin?

1) Lots of un-armed people that live in CCC or Alameda County
2) Planning on making more money on people that live in CCC or Alameda County
Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 AM

Point taken, but I suspect these clowns just hit the train that showed up. An SF bound train would have no CCW passengers...
Old 04-25-2017, 4:00 PM

Was a rhetorical question... Just reminds us all to be careful AND ALERT out there!
Old 04-29-2017, 3:53 AM

I just had a very knowledgeable gun shop owner in Alameda County tell me there were several individuals in his shop recently stating that Alameda Co. has loosened up CCW issuance. Any truth to this? Last Iheard, there were only 200~ CCW's issued out of a total population of 1.5 million...
Old 04-29-2017, 6:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I just had a very knowledgeable gun shop owner in Alameda County tell me there were several individuals in his shop recently stating that Alameda Co. has loosened up CCW issuance. Any truth to this? Last Iheard, there were only 200~ CCW's issued out of a total population of 1.5 million...
It doesn't look like Ahern has changed his GC standard:

Quote:
In order to request a CCW license, applicants must satisfy all of the requirements of the Policy, including demonstrating that they have "good cause" and are of "good moral character." There is no one specific "good cause" for issuance of a license, as each applicant's justification is different. Applicants must show evidence that (1) there is a documented, presently existing, clear and present danger to life, or great bodily harm to the applicant and/or his or her spouse, domestic partner, or dependents, (2) the danger of harm is specific to the applicant, or his or her immediate family, and is not generally shared by other similarly situated members of the public, (3) existing law enforcement resources cannot adequately address the danger of harm, (4) the danger of harm cannot reasonably be avoided by alternative measures, and (5) licensing the applicant to carry a concealed weapon is likely to significantly reduce the danger of harm.

In order to ensure these standards are met, the Alameda County Sheriff's Office has established a background process that is designed to obtain thorough, complete and truthful information about applicants. At some point during your application process, an investigator from the Internal Affairs/CCW License Unit will contact you to obtain information. It is possible that the investigator handling your request may also contact your references, family, co-workers and persons that the investigator believes will be able to provide the Sheriff's Office with information to determine your suitability to carry a concealed weapon. The investigator may inform the people contacted that you are applying for a CCW license, and ask for their opinion regarding your qualification to receive a CCW license.
https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/admin_ia_ccw.php

Last edited by Paladin; 06-12-2019 at 10:56 AM..
Old 05-01-2017, 8:14 AM

Default Just received my CCW renewal application

Open the mail on Saturday and these documents were included along with a copy of the standard CA DOJ CCW application.

Please take note of the second page, Item #1 and the "significant number of applicants".

I will ask Judea in the front office what license number they are currently up to.

KEEP GETTING THOSE APPLICATIONS IN!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCW Renewal.pdf (1.15 MB, 137 views)
Old 05-01-2017, 8:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Open the mail on Saturday and these documents were included along with a copy of the standard CA DOJ CCW application.

Please take note of the second page, Item #1 and the "significant number of applicants".

I will ask Judea in the front office what license number they are currently up to.

KEEP GETTING THOSE APPLICATIONS IN!!
It just shows how desperate we are in the SFBA when we have to grasp at straws like that.....

For some stats, see the table in the OP at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1236204

Let us know what the front desk says.
Old 08-18-2017, 2:01 PM

All,

Finally picked up my renewal license from Judy today. I asked how many CCW licenses are in the county and she said 250 people. Not that many....
She said there are a lot more applications.

Took a little over 3 months from start to finish.
Old 08-20-2017, 6:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
All,

Finally picked up my renewal license from Judy today. I asked how many CCW licenses are in the county and she said 250 people. Not that many....
She said there are a lot more applications.
Thanks for the info.

Do you know how many there'd be if CA was SI or if Ahern accepted SD = GC? almost 10,000

"We shall overcome. We shall overcome. We shall overcome, someday...."
Old 11-16-2017, 12:24 PM

Wake me up when SD is a "good enough" reason. :-/
Old 01-05-2018, 5:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I went to the Ala Co SO's CCW webpage the other day and noticed they no longer require you to fill out any paperwork/application other than the state mandated DOJ form.

Has Sheriff Ahern, "the chief law enforcement officer of the county", finally decide to obey the law? Did someone file a writ of mandamus (or something else happen...) to force him to obey the law???

ETA: Or maybe he sees what the LA Co sheriff is going through with the state auditor and wants to avoid that?

Last edited by Paladin; 01-05-2018 at 8:15 AM..
Old 03-23-2018, 9:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Alameda Co SO has now put the app process online!

https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/admin_ia_ccw.php

links to

https://alamedaca.permitium.com/ccw/start

Unfortunately, at the first link, you will read a reshash of CA AG John Van de Kamp's interpretation of the Good Cause requirement, dating back to the early 1980s....

Quote:
There is no one specific "good cause" for issuance of a license, as each applicant's justification is different. Applicants must show evidence that (1) there is a documented, presently existing, clear and present danger to life, or great bodily harm to the applicant and/or his or her spouse, domestic partner, or dependents, (2) the danger of harm is specific to the applicant, or his or her immediate family, and is not generally shared by other similarly situated members of the public, (3) existing law enforcement resources cannot adequately address the danger of harm, (4) the danger of harm cannot reasonably be avoided by alternative measures, and (5) licensing the applicant to carry a concealed weapon is likely to significantly reduce the danger of harm.
(emphasis and underlining added)

Last edited by Paladin; 01-03-2020 at 8:36 PM.. Reason: corrected date of CA AG's Opinion letter
Old 01-20-2019, 2:39 PM

Know this is an old thread, but figured still the best place.

I was wondering if anyone knows if your government issued photo ID requires your current address or if you can submit additional residency documents? The first portion of the application says yes, but when you go to upload, it does not mention this. I called the office today and will comment if I hear back.
Old 01-20-2019, 8:41 PM

Call their office and talk to the nice lady there. She will set you straight.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 AM

Got a call back from ACSO and they told me that to apply your CDL (or CID, I suppose, logically applies) must have your current address per some statute. Connection was a bit janky, so I had a bit of trouble hearing her. Perhaps the CCW is linked to your CDL or something?

I also told her that I had received some specific/direct threats towards me, which was my rationale for said CCW, and said a Restraining Order was likely essential. With Restraining Orders, you have to tell the other person one is filed (she told me), which to me seems kin to be pocking a bear and asking it not to eat you.

Last edited by BryMan92; 01-24-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Old 02-19-2019, 12:20 PM

Submitted my application on Saturday and selected an interview on March 5. Submitted the "good cause" (with my evidence contained with witness), letters, and supporting documentation, as well as, answering the questions provided. At the end, you basically concatenate all information into a standard form.

Received a call today from Jenny clarifying the standard is this:

If you have a restraining order you may receive a CCW and once the restraining order is over your CCW will be revoked, otherwise, all threats (without a restraining order) are considered broadly self-defense.

Last edited by BryMan92; 02-19-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Old 02-20-2019, 8:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryMan92 View Post
Submitted my application on Saturday and selected an interview on March 5. Submitted the "good cause" (with my evidence contained with witness), letters, and supporting documentation, as well as, answering the questions provided. At the end, you basically concatenate all information into a standard form.

Received a call today from Jenny clarifying the standard is this:

If you have a restraining order you may receive a CCW and once the restraining order is over your CCW will be revoked, otherwise, all threats (without a restraining order) are considered broadly self-defense.
Makes sense. If your GC is based on a Restraining Order, when that order is removed/lifted, your GC is extinguished.

What doesn't make sense is Ahern not readily issuing CCWs. 42 out of 50 states are Shall Issue (and 14 of those are Constitutional Carry), and yet NONE of them have had problems with CCWers, so upon what rational basis does Ahern think his serfs will be any different? Even within CA, counties like Solano, Sacto, Fresno, Orange and San Diego readily issue (CA has >100,000 CCWers), and yet there's no problems with CCWers here either. Like I said: Ahern is irrational. (Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to be around guns?)

All Ahern is doing is making gunnies frustrated. He's causing a pent up demand that he won't be able to satisfy quickly enough when we win at SCOTUS. Because of that, people will start LOCing rather than being unarmed. I can't wait to participate in LOC meetups in Ala Co in a year to year and a half (2020 July) after SCOTUS decides NYSRPA and possibly Rogers and/or Gould.

Bring on the SWAT response! I wonder if there will be a basis for a "chilling" 1st & 2nd A civil rights lawsuit if they do that?

Last edited by Paladin; 02-20-2019 at 10:36 PM..