Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-18-2016, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
You shouldn't have any issue. As long as you live in kern county, that should be fine. My good cause was due to traveling to remote areas around the county and also out of the county. You won't have to specify about storage in a safe.

Just remember though, they may want to speak with your supervisor if you are using a work related reason . They verified with my supervisor that he was aware I applied for a ccw
Cool, thank you. I already filled out the application and typed up a good GC. Just waiting to see what my address will be once I move. (Lol). Hopefully it works out. I kept it simple, (commute, 24/7 responder due to job, lack of cell service, away from LE, hiking and photographer who carries expensive stuff) so we will see. It's a short little 5 sentence paragraph so I'm not BEGGING for one. Haha. I also didn't put my specific title on there, just that I work mon-fri and that I'm also on call and that I can be required to respond at all hours)

Last edited by Lmartinez614; 03-18-2016 at 1:17 PM..
Old 07-09-2016, 6:04 AM

Default Partial answer

You're allowed 10 guns on your CCW - hubby and I had each others on ours, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't think letting you CCW lapse would be a problem, but have no experience or knowledge on that issue.

"People of integrity expect to be believed and when they're not, they let time prove them right."

Almost EVERY problem we have in society now arises from one single issue - people no longer take accountability for themselves or their actions. It's never their fault.
Old 07-10-2016, 1:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzani View Post
Thanks so much for the response! Good to know we can share carry guns. I wouldn't think letting it lapse is a problem either. In fact, if they approved it once then why wouldn't they again as long as nothing has changed right?
Rzani, Good to go on sharing the guns, CA is a common property state, I.E. whats hers is mine and what's mine is hers. Not so with your brothers gun. It is a felony to use someone else's gun to defend yourself.

If you had a CCW and let it lapse, as long as there were no issues (lost firearm..., felony charge) I heard it was a quick approval process. I guess they figure if you had one once and never got in trouble then you are good to go.

Contact KernCCW.com, friendly folks and they can help you with any questions with current info.

I am not a lawyer and give no legal advice.
Old 07-30-2016, 2:59 PM

Hey everyone, just wanted to give a quick update. On June 29th, I turned in my application and today, July 30th, I received my Approval letter. So far, not too bad of a turnaround in my opinion.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:58 AM

I turned in my training certificate and fees and did the live-scan on July 14th. I still have not heard anything (over 19 weeks). Anyone else in this boat?
Old 11-30-2016, 5:06 PM

Most recent time line I've heard of is:

June 16th: Application Turned In
July 15th: Approval Letter Received
July 25th: Training Cert Turned In, Fees Paid and Livescan Completed
......still waiting for call as of November 30.
Old 12-04-2016, 4:23 PM

As a small business owner, at this time I live in LA County and work quite a bit in Kern county and have expensive equipment I transport with me as well as visiting vacant Real Estate.

I was in an area of Kern County and a LEO had indicated that regularly doing business in Kern may just be enough to apply in Kern, anyone have any experience with a situation like this one?

Great community here, thanks in advance!
Old 12-04-2016, 4:43 PM

The application states you have to show 2 proofs of residency in Kern Co. Even though Kern is very good with honoring 2A rights concerning CCW's, I'm not sure they will issue a non-resident a permit. The problem is that CA DOJ says you have to meet "residence requirements". Not sure if that means residency in CA or residence in the county of the issuing agency. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to give them a call or send an email concerning your situation. You never know...
Old 12-04-2016, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSierraDrifter View Post
The application states you have to show 2 proofs of residency in Kern Co. Even though Kern is very good with honoring 2A rights concerning CCW's, I'm not sure they will issue a non-resident a permit. The problem is that CA DOJ says you have to meet "residence requirements". Not sure if that means residency in CA or residence in the county of the issuing agency. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to give them a call or send an email concerning your situation. You never know...
Thank you! I'll peruse through the thread and find app and contact info, and do just that.
Old 12-04-2016, 5:32 PM

Here is a link to the application. Good luck!

http://www.kernsheriff.com/misc/Form...pplication.pdf
Old 12-09-2016, 11:15 AM

Submitted my application on 12/8/2016 after putting it off for a long time. Was gonna apply back in June, but I always got hung up on the GCS. So a big thanks to the community here and to Craig for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2016, 11:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper68 View Post
As a small business owner, at this time I live in LA County and work quite a bit in Kern county and have expensive equipment I transport with me as well as visiting vacant Real Estate.

I was in an area of Kern County and a LEO had indicated that regularly doing business in Kern may just be enough to apply in Kern, anyone have any experience with a situation like this one?

They may choose to issue you a 90 day business license. Only valid in Kern County and must be renewed every 90 days.

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 12-20-2016, 2:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Someone w/a contact in the Kern CCW dept should pass along:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...121987214.html

Sacramento, San Bernardino, Fresno, Placer, and Monterey county SOs have now all gone online w/their CCW apps: initial and renewals. For Sac, this means only 1 apt for new apps and NO apts for renewals! Saves both sides time, expenses and effort.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-20-2016 at 2:41 PM..
Old 12-25-2016, 10:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What is the approximate wait time start to finish (Turning in application to permit in hand!) through KCSO? thanks in advance for the input!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

Old 12-26-2016, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
What is the approximate wait time start to finish (Turning in application to permit in hand!) through KCSO? thanks in advance for the input!
I saw a FB post the other day it was 8 months for that individual. I'm not sure if that time frame was more the individual or the "other side" of it. I keep reading at least 6 months though.
Old 12-26-2016, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
I had a buddy do it recently and it took 6 months from submission of application to the permit being ready for pick-up. He started the process in January so it wasn't too long ago.
Old 12-27-2016, 6:23 PM

Update from post #248 above:

Dec 27th: Call from local substation stating permit is ready to be picked up.

So, for this individual, the time from application submission to receiving an approval letter was almost exactly one month......the time from completing the Live Scan to the permit being issued and ready for pick up was almost exactly five months. So, that's about six months worth of processing time.....actual time start to finish will depend on how long it takes the applicant to complete their CCW training course and then go in to get their live scan done....but it looks like the most recently issued permits are running between five and six months at the very minimum.
Old 12-28-2016, 6:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowX52 View Post
Update from post #248 above:

Dec 27th: Call from local substation stating permit is ready to be picked up.

So, for this individual, the time from application submission to receiving an approval letter was almost exactly one month......the time from completing the Live Scan to the permit being issued and ready for pick up was almost exactly five months. So, that's about six months worth of processing time.....actual time start to finish will depend on how long it takes the applicant to complete their CCW training course and then go in to get their live scan done....but it looks like the most recently issued permits are running between five and six months at the very minimum.
Thanks for the information!

Old 12-29-2016, 8:35 PM

****, I turned in my Livescan and certs on August 15th. I can almost taste it from here.
Old 01-11-2017, 7:52 PM

Lets say someone works in LA county and lives in LA county mon-fri, lives in Kern county Sat-Sun. That someone has everything proof-wise in Kern county. Could Kern county issue a CCW to that person?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 PM

Here's the application. Do you meet these requirements?

http://www.kernsheriff.com/misc/Form...pplication.pdf
Old 01-14-2017, 3:23 PM

Update!

12/8/16: Application turned in.
1/14/17: Received approval letter!

Was gonna call the office, but they are closed today. But does anyone know if I have to bring my firearms to the station to verify serial numbers? Because on the approval letter, they require 6 items to bring in when I do the live scan and there is no mention on the letter if I am required to bring my firearms in. Is it different now?
Old 01-14-2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanderman7 View Post
Update!

1/14/17: Received approval letter!

Was gonna call the office, but they are closed today. But does anyone know if I have to bring my firearms to the station to verify serial numbers? Because on the approval letter, they require 6 items to bring in when I do the live scan and there is no mention on the letter if I am required to bring my firearms in. Is it different now?
They no longer require you to bring your firearms in for verification. I believe if you want to add firearms to your CCW later, you only need to bring make, model, & serial number information. You might want to call before you go in, just in case it changed. What I described is as of July last year.

Last edited by TheSierraDrifter; 01-14-2017 at 5:01 PM..
Old 01-14-2017, 5:17 PM

Your next step is to take the class. They will lay it out for you.
Old 02-24-2017, 7:25 PM

Just an update because this forum was so helpful to me.

It took me about six months from start of my application until I received my permit, but at least a month of that was due to delays on my part. Realistically I'd think you could expect to get a permit in 4.5-5 months.

It was 2 months almost exactly from fingerprinting to receiving my permit. Livescan done in December, and permit was received in February.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinBK View Post
Just an update because this forum was so helpful to me.

It took me about six months from start of my application until I received my permit, but at least a month of that was due to delays on my part. Realistically I'd think you could expect to get a permit in 4.5-5 months.

It was 2 months almost exactly from fingerprinting to receiving my permit. Livescan done in December, and permit was received in February.
This sounds like things have sped up a bit. I know of people who went in and got their livescan done last July and didn't get the call to pick up their permit until December....almost exactly five months.

Wait times for approval letters still seem to be running approximately one month, I know two people who just got theirs about a weeks ago.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Update with a recent timeline.

1/14/17: Received approval letter.
1/20/17: Class with Powers Firearms Training Corp.
1/23/17: Live Scan and Arizona application mailed.
2/10/17: Arizona permit received.
3/7/17: California permit received.

If you are interested in the Arizona permit, Powers Firearms Training provides the whole application, including the two fingerprint cards. However, I did not know this and I got my application mailed directly from AZ DPS. For fingerprints, I did mine at the downtown BPD station, it was $11 for both cards. The only catch is that they only do fingerprinting on Tuesday and Thursdays. Hope this helps someone.

Was not expecting a call so soon, because they said 4-5 months when I did my Live Scan. Maybe the new building dedicated to licensing has sped things up.
Old 04-04-2017, 4:25 PM

Hello everyone, thanks for keeping this thread updated. Permit times are definitely going fast. My wife and I received ours today. Right around 2 months start to finish. I was definitely surprised when I got the call.

2-3-17 initial app
3-14-17 received approval
3-23-17 live scan completed
4-4-17 picked up permit
Old 04-06-2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Nemo View Post
Hello everyone, thanks for keeping this thread updated. Permit times are definitely going fast. My wife and I received ours today. Right around 2 months start to finish. I was definitely surprised when I got the call.

2-3-17 initial app
3-14-17 received approval
3-23-17 live scan completed
4-4-17 picked up permit
Indeed, I was just talking with a coworker this morning, she said that when she went in to do her livescan, they told her that things were going much faster, but to expect it to take about two months......ten days later, they called her to come pick up her permit for the local substation, (so that includes mailing time from Bakersfield)......TEN DAYS!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 4:34 PM

2.5 months from app submission to the "come pick your permit up." Call.

My ccw class instructor said that holdovers from Obama DOJ was the problem with wait times.

Last edited by learnem; 04-11-2017 at 4:37 PM..
Old 04-17-2017, 8:24 PM

Friend of mine recently got his.

Turned in app late Feb.
Approval letter March 17
Livescan March 29
Picked up permit April 4

It was about 5 weeks total!!!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:37 AM

This is an awesome thread guys great info! Just waiting on a gun I can carry to follow through with getting mine, I miss carrying in my old free state
Old 04-27-2017, 11:28 AM

Turned in app on 23 Feb, received approval about three weeks later. I had to delay turning in my certificate because I was out of town the week after my class. I dropped off certificate and payment on 12 April, received the call to pick up my permit on 25 April. Pretty good, if you ask me. I'm an out of state resident, currently living in Kern. I expected​ that to hurt things, but it did not.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper68 View Post

I have the same question. Did you ever get an answer?
Old 05-18-2017, 6:09 PM

Default Dropped my application two weeks ago...

So glad I discovered this group. Will advise as my journey progresses.

My justification reads as follows, "As a service connected disabled veteran I have bad feet and knees and am unable to flee an assailant. I have had multiple lower back surgeries and am unable to confront an assailant. I need to be able to defend my wife and myself in the event of being confronted by an assailant.

All of the above is true and applies directly to me and I am able to prove my disabilities, if questioned. I spoke to several people who have gone thru this process before and was told in Kern County, less is more. Fingers crossed.

For my own records keeping, I dropped the application on 5 May 2017. When turning in my paperwork, the clerk noticed I include the wrong page of my electric bill (didn't have the service location on it. She suggested that I go to the Kern County Tax Assessor's office and simply get a reprint of my current Property Tax Statement. A short drive, a brief wait, I had the right document and successfully turned everything in.

I was quite please that the clerk was so helpful, given my drive home was at least 80 miles and didn't' want to make that quick turnaround for a piece of paper.

I was told to expect a 12 - 16 week wait for my approval/disapproval letter. I was also told to come back with a copy of my DD-214, and Birth Certificate or Passport.

Last edited by Gorio1961; 05-20-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Old 05-18-2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorio1961 View Post
So glad I discovered this group. Will advise as my journey progresses.

My justification reads as follows, "As a service connected disabled veteran I have bad feet and knees and am unable to flee an assailant. I have had multiple lower back surgeries and am unable to confront an assailant. I need to be able to defend my wife and myself in the event of being confronted by an assailant.

All of the above is true and applies directly to me and I am able to prove my disabilities, if questioned. I spoke to several people who have gone thru this process before and was told in Kern County, less is more. Fingers crossed.
I would agree with less is more. I think my good cause statement was about three sentences. Just stay short, sweet, and to the point.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 9:27 AM

Just wanted to share my timeline.

4/17 - app turned in
5/15 - date on approval letter (rec'd on 5/17)
5/31 - date of livescan and other docs turned in,including payment
6/13 - phone call to pick up permit
Old 06-15-2017, 6:51 PM

My timeline was
4-13-17 :App submitted
5-17-17 :Approval letter
5-30-17 :Live scan
6-2-17 :Phone call, Permit ready
Old 06-22-2017, 8:14 PM

Update. After applying for CCW in 5 May 17, I received my approval letter dated 19 June 17 (today). Now to complete the training course ASAP and go get livescan, pay the fee and turn in the other supporting documents. Updates to follow

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 8:10 PM

So I completed my CCW Training course on Saturday, June 24th put my documents in order and turned everything into the Bakersfield office. I asked how accurate the 12 - 18 week estimate was on the application paperwork they gave me. She smiled and said my LiveScan would be back the following day and I could except to come put up my CCW in three weeks (Expecting it before 17 July) I will post my update as soon as possible.

Concerning the eight hour CCW training, I didn't know there would be a twenty question exam after the class as over.