Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Calaveras

Calaveras County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin

Last edited by obeygiant; 10-18-2010 at 9:23 PM..
Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 PM

Default CCW denied by Calaveras County Sheriff

I was recently denied by the Sheriff of Calaveras County due to traffic tickets. Who can I talk to about this?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2010, 9:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiPersonalDefense View Post
I was recently denied by the Sheriff of Calaveras County due to traffic tickets. Who can I talk to about this?

Thanks.
Welcome to CalGuns. Please stick around, even if you aren't interested in being involved in the legal discussions here in 2A be sure to check out the rest of the board, I'm sure you'll find a place where you can both learn and contribute.

Sign up in the volunteer thread and note your denial and the reason. Most likely questionable good moral character denials will be a little lower on the priority list because it SHOULD get cleared up by the Richards case. If there is a decision to move forward with traffic-related denials before that CGF will mine the volunteer list for people to work with.

Be sure to volunteer!

Freedom isn't Free, please take the time to donate and sponsor Calaveras county CCW reform.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It is part of the listed policy that the make and model of the gun(s) on the license be on the 'Safe Gun list'.

Since there's no PC requiring that, will that part of the policy be addressed soon-ish?

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-29-2011, 7:11 PM

Default LTC Approved!!

Haven't been on in a while, but I was approved last month as well as my Father.
Near effortless process. The Sheriff wanted personal protection on the good cause statement. My dad nor I had an interview. I went to what I thought was an interview appointment, but ended up being my livescan and firearm check apt. A month later due to application processing backup, I received my permit.
My second handgun was not on the safe list it was just checked to see if it was stolen and verified it was in ok working order by the Sheriff. Both firearms are on my permit. Keltec PF-9 if you were wondering and a H&K Usp Compact.
Old 01-08-2012, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSS View Post
Haven't been on in a while, but I was approved last month as well as my Father.
Near effortless process. The Sheriff wanted personal protection on the good cause statement. My dad nor I had an interview. I went to what I thought was an interview appointment, but ended up being my livescan and firearm check apt. A month later due to application processing backup, I received my permit.
My second handgun was not on the safe list it was just checked to see if it was stolen and verified it was in ok working order by the Sheriff. Both firearms are on my permit. Keltec PF-9 if you were wondering and a H&K Usp Compact.
Did the new sheriff reverse the policy requiring all permit guns to be on the Safe Handgun Roster? That would be great if he did! I will try to verify this, as that would open up a whole laundry list of guns I can add to my CCW.

I see your location is Lodi, which is not Calaveras County, so are you referring to Calaveras or San Joaquin County?

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable, what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa

Last edited by darkwater; 01-08-2012 at 9:24 AM.. Reason: county question
Old 01-08-2012, 9:56 AM

Hmm...unlike the procedures posted at the top of this thread, there is no mention of the CA Safe Handgun Roster on the CCW procedures currently posted on the Calaveras website: http://www.co.calaveras.ca.us/publis...cedure2011.pdf

I will contact the Sheriff's Dept this week to verify what their current policy is on the handgun requirements, if any. This could be a change for the better!

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable, what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

Old 01-10-2012, 8:02 PM

Here's a snippet of the email response I received, which is definitely an improvement over the prior policy:

"The CA Safe Handgun Roster remains in use. However, it is not a requirement under Sheriff Kuntz. Should a firearm not on the safe roster be requested, Sheriff Kuntz must inspect the firearm himself before he will allow it to be place on a CCW permit. We have made the exception of grandfathering firearms already existing on permits that may have dropped off of the roster."

Old 08-03-2012, 5:10 PM

I want to get my CCW license in Calaveras county and am unsure of what to do. Do I have to go to the sheriff first? or do I print out the docs provided here fill them out and just drop them off to the sheriff? i really dont know where to start.
Old 08-03-2012, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASY357 View Post
I want to get my CCW license in Calaveras county and am unsure of what to do. Do I have to go to the sheriff first? or do I print out the docs provided here fill them out and just drop them off to the sheriff? i really dont know where to start.
You can walk in to the Sheriff's Admin Office during normal business hours to pickup, fill out and turn in your initial application. They will call you to make an appointment when you are approved to do your livescan and check your guns. If you happen to live in Angels Camp, the only incorporated city in the county, you can apply with the Angels PD during normal business hours. I think the City's fees are a bit more than the County's fees, but the City allows 3 guns on your permit vs. 2 guns on a County permit.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 PM

How many firearms can you have on the permit? Do they require or put the guns serial number on the permit as well?

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog1968 View Post
How many firearms can you have on the permit? Do they require or put the guns serial number on the permit as well?
2 max firearms for the County, 3 if you live in Angels Camp and get the permit thru the Angels PD. And yes, the serial #s, make and model go on the permit.

Old 02-14-2013, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

sad all of the links i tried are dead.
looking to do this. but need valued and current input please.

also due to the ONLY legal shooting range shut down "due to bad rd" is there a "approved" spot?? in the county??????

Old 02-14-2013, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
sad all of the links i tried are dead.
looking to do this. but need valued and current input please.

also due to the ONLY legal shooting range shut down "due to bad rd" is there a "approved" spot?? in the county??????

Looks like the Sheriff's Office has reworked their website. Here's a current link to the CCW part: http://sheriff.calaverasgov.us/Sheri...Civil/CCW.aspx

What shooting range are you referring to, Candy Rock perhaps? There's still a lot of USFS land in the county, but they are trying to keep Candy Rock traffic to a minimum due to it being so close to a residential neighborhood.

From what I've heard, it apparently is not legal for a fixed location improved shooting range to exist in a USFS forest (or maybe because permits were never obtained), but you can run around the woods and target shoot as long as you're not within 150 yards of a structure, recreational area, campsite, or other occupied area, and not shooting across roads or bodies of water. Seems safer to have a fixed location that everyone knows where the shooting is normally done.

Anyway, for Candy Rock, the last I heard was that they were experimenting with limiting hours and perhaps the types of guns that could be used there, but I am not aware if any final closure date had been set at this point.

You can also join the Angels Gun Club in Angels Camp or even the Motherlode Gun Club in Jamestown.

Last edited by darkwater; 02-14-2013 at 7:12 PM..
Old 11-13-2013, 4:14 PM

FYI, I was in the SO today adding my new 9 to my CCW and Calaveras SO now allows 3 firearms on your CCW. Calaveras is also Spouse friendly as you and your spouse can share firearms on your CCW's. I now have two of my guns and one of hers on my CCW and she will have hers and both of mine on hers.Also, you dont have to "range qualify" an added weapon to add it. just has to be reg to you or your spouse.They do have to physically check the gun so you have to take it in.

Karen said the letters are in the process of being mailed out now to all CCW holders in the county as to the increase in weapons allowed on your CCW from 2 to 3.
Old 11-13-2013, 5:14 PM

That's good news! I have 7 months left on my permit, so I'll be taking my class in the spring and then renewing. My wife has a PM9 that I'd probably want to add to my permit.

Old 11-13-2013, 5:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the information.

"Also, you dont have to "range qualify" an added weapon to add it. just has to be reg to you or your spouse.They do have to physically check the gun so you have to take it in."

This seems odd but good to know. I am assuming that you have to range qualify with all three at renewal time though.
Old 11-13-2013, 5:57 PM

No, I don't think you need to qualify specifically with any of the weapons on your permit. You just need to take the class and get the certificate, which does not have any firearm info on it, at least I don't believe the ones from WTS did.

Old 11-13-2013, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsu View Post
Thanks for the information.

This seems odd but good to know. I am assuming that you have to range qualify with all three at renewal time though.
I would't think so. you could save the hassle and just qual with one then add the other two after permit is renewed. I would ask beforehand. saves the hassle and expense at requal time.
Old 11-13-2013, 6:10 PM

Location: SF Bay Area then go east to the hills with wind mills

This tread ~ucks. I'm green with envy.
Do you guys need to flaunt all this bla bla bla stuff.
Old 11-13-2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
No, I don't think you need to qualify specifically with any of the weapons on your permit. You just need to take the class and get the certificate, which does not have any firearm info on it, at least I don't believe the ones from WTS did.
We took initial class in Ione and there were requal people in there too. they only stayed in the classroom part for the first hour then went into the range and shot then were gone. we went through all the "book stuff" then shot after lunch.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
We took initial class in Ione and there were requal people in there too. they only stayed in the classroom part for the first hour then went into the range and shot then were gone. we went through all the "book stuff" then shot after lunch.
Correct just take class with A gun no specifics. Some qual with .22 pistols but I advise to qual with the weapon you plan to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2013, 6:22 PM

Sorry if I missed this somewhere else, but does anyone know about the residency requirements (length of time) that Calaveras county requires? On their website, all it says is that you must be a "permanent full-time residents" but doesn't state how long you have to have lived there. Anyone have any idea?
Old 11-22-2013, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets View Post
Sorry if I missed this somewhere else, but does anyone know about the residency requirements (length of time) that Calaveras county requires? On their website, all it says is that you must be a "permanent full-time residents" but doesn't state how long you have to have lived there. Anyone have any idea?
I was also wondering the same thing.
Old 11-22-2013, 7:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was a resident for 12 days when I applied and had no issues.
Old 11-22-2013, 7:46 AM

I think it's on a person to person basis. (Character ) but they are pretty easy to work with

Old 11-22-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsu View Post
I was a resident for 12 days when I applied and had no issues.

Geez, I thought it would be ATLEAST six months. Does anyone else have a similar experience or know any definitive answer?

I suppose I could just call them and ask...
Old 11-26-2013, 6:02 AM

Call and talk to Karen she is nice and helpful

Old 02-20-2014, 5:38 AM

Probably boy going to get it only because it's not your residence. As far as gun goes. It's a name brand manufacture that's not a problem.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM

For other documentation, do you have a county property tax bill with a homeowner's exemption, or a homeowner's insurance policy?

Not sure if the current sheriff has allowed the mere use of the phrase "self-protection". Mine essentially was, but I dressed it up with talking about the presence of wild animals (we have bears and mountain lions around) living in a rural setting when I'm outside exercising or recreating on my property, traveling across lonely stretches of road throughout the state on vacation with the family, sometimes at night, the 26-minute average response time for a deputy, etc.

If the gun you want to list on your permit is not on the Safe Handgun Roster, the SO will want to do a safety inspection on it to be approved for your permit. However, being a Glock, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 02-21-2014, 6:25 AM

Yea I used " To protect myself and my family" for reason. Gary is pretty laid back and gun friendly unlike many SO in different counties
Old 02-28-2014, 1:05 PM

I added and now carry an "off roster" gun to my CCW. I dont think they care as long as the gun is registered to you.
Old 02-28-2014, 1:13 PM

They probably don't care, but their official stance is that they want to inspect it first. I'm sure they don't want to see something held together by duct tape.

Old 05-07-2015, 2:15 PM

Unhappy Really, your kidding me ..

This is kinda off the main subject;
I have a neighbor who has her pot card and her ccw.
Seems kinda sketchy to me if she does both at the same time.
I'm curious if anyone has any idea what Gary's position is on something like that ?
I guess she's protected by the HIPPA laws for privacy ..
Old 06-07-2016, 9:23 AM

Default Caleveras county CCW current regs

Currently, the Sheriff had died, been replaced by his Captain, who still requires personal inspection of three guns you intend to carry, doesn't seem to worry whether they are on the list or not, but has produced a new requirement. CCW applicants must now produce three letters of recommendation from people who are unrelated and not employers.

I got a whiff that this is clogging the works, paper accepted now won't get licensed before September..

FWIW, that is the same wait time as for new Galco holsters. How convenient.
Old 06-13-2016, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankk View Post
Currently, the Sheriff had died, been replaced by his Captain, who still requires personal inspection of three guns you intend to carry, doesn't seem to worry whether they are on the list or not, but has produced a new requirement. CCW applicants must now produce three letters of recommendation from people who are unrelated and not employers.

I got a whiff that this is clogging the works, paper accepted now won't get licensed before September..

Weird no mention of that when I called for app requirements for my wife
Old 06-13-2016, 8:01 AM

I had heard that too from my CCW instructor, about the 3 recommendation letters, but I was renewing, so it didn't apply to me.

Also, just to clarify, Rick DiBasilio was previously a Sergeant, not one of the two Captains currently in the department.

Old 06-13-2016, 4:53 PM

I'll find out Wednesday I have an appt for updating my ccw with my renewal
Old 06-17-2016, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankk View Post

Welp it is true. New applicants now have to produce three character reference letters as part of there application. Was told it was inacted by the temp sheriff after Gary past.
Old 06-20-2016, 7:57 AM

That sucks, but due to the influx of both legal and illegal marijuana growers in the area, he probably wants to see if anyone decent will vouch for a new applicant, and it weeds (pun intended) out those that aren't as determined to get a permit.