Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM

Default Sight Install - H&K 9mm - SAN DIEGO

Looking for anyone who has the tools to perform an install of some sights on an H&K USP. Both front and rear.

Yes, local gunsmiths/shops could handle this no prob...they'll also handle my wallet till the flys buzz out...the current industry "craze" has that handled already. haha....sigh....Not looking to break my bank...plain and simple.

Im in north county, coastal. I can drive and meet.
Can anybody help?

Thanks much.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 PM

Gusslers just did my XD for $35 while I waited. I know its a far drive for you, but the price is right.
Old 01-28-2013, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy619 View Post
Gusslers just did my XD for $35 while I waited. I know its a far drive for you, but the price is right.
Were you happy with the work? I'm thinking about replacing some M&P sights and Gussler's isn't far from me.
Old 01-28-2013, 8:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hmm, that's not bad at all, certainly beats the cost of shipping the gun to Novak or something. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? Does it look like they did a good job?

I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Hmm, that's not bad at all, certainly beats the cost of shipping the gun to Novak or something. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? Does it look like they did a good job?
Haven't had a chance to shoot it, but the alignment looks good and he didn't scratch up the new sights (meprolights). I have to admit I was a little nervous because of the XD's notoriety with how tight the sights are. He was able to get the old ones off in one piece, but the rear one lost a little finish when he used a punch and brass hammer. (Sight tool wouldn't budge it) I'm happy with the work and he definitely has the tools for most jobs, just remember that transfers are his bread and butter so you might have to wait.

Last edited by tommyboy619; 01-29-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Haven't had a chance to shoot it, but the alignment looks good and he didn't scratch up the new sights (meprolights). I have to admit I was a little nervous because of the XD's notoriety with how tight the sights are. He was able to get the old ones off in one piece, but the rear one lost a little finish when he used a punch and brass hammer. (Sight tool wouldn't budge it) I'm happy with the work and he definitely has the tools for most jobs, just remember that transfers are his bread and butter so you might have to wait.
Hmm...I'm also checking out this newer shop here in Miramar: http://www.wiserowl.com/

They quoted me $35 to install sights, but then again that quote is for my RIA 'Tac and I don't think they realize how much work is involved with that one...

Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM

^^^ thanks for link, that is a LOT closer then Iron Sights.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM

I have a pair of Heinie sights and kinda feel line $50 and price of 2 way shipping is a bit of a price tag just to install what I already bought from them. So I'm also in the SD area looking for someone to install my sights without molesting my bank haha.
Old 01-28-2013, 7:26 PM

gussiers workin it for $35 is a good price...

Also curious on the work quaility...I DO NOT want my sights old or new, getting punched in/out. Gotta be a machine, and someone who cares.

My lookings have me on the fence considering the purchase of a sight install tool...im a bit of a perfectionist and im kinda feeling this is the best route. Specially here in SD...hah.
Old 01-28-2013, 8:46 PM
CGSSA Associate

Check out Ray at Iron Sights on Monday nights in Oceanside. Did the f/r sights on my TRP and no probs. He may have to to take the gun back to his shop (instead of doing them at the range) if they're tight, but he's a licensed gunsmith. If that's not enough, buy the sight tool from HKParts.net or send it back to HK and keep your warranty. Local's the obviously cheaper option.
Old 01-28-2013, 9:32 PM

Default I hear ya

I'm in the same boat.... I've had some run-ins with real dip-$h!ts in SD pounding out my last set of USP sights just to break the trijicon bulbs. BUT, I have gone to Duncan's in San Marcos a few times now, and they were always able to do stuff while I wait for 10-20 mins. Coincidentally, I had sight work both times I went in for my S&W M&P 15 and my Winchester 1300 Defender. I asked the gunsmith if he had the actual press, or some homebrew variation of it for the USP, and he lead me to believe he did. He quoted $35.00 out the door so I'll probably call him soon to discuss the details when my new sights arrive. Either way, I'll probably trust them to do the job since I'm a bit HK particular like you.

On anther USP note, I just bought the .40 Quik Comp and wanted to see if you guys know anyone in SD County that does custom aluminum machining so we can replicate a few of these and add railing options?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg HK Compensated.jpeg (3.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss_hk View Post
Check out Ray at Iron Sights on Monday nights in Oceanside. Did the f/r sights on my TRP and no probs. He may have to to take the gun back to his shop (instead of doing them at the range) if they're tight, but he's a licensed gunsmith. If that's not enough, buy the sight tool from HKParts.net or send it back to HK and keep your warranty. Local's the obviously cheaper option.
Have noticed on their website regarding gunsmith there weekly.

What fee does he charge for a set of sights?
Old 01-29-2013, 3:02 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc27 View Post
Have noticed on their website regarding gunsmith there weekly.

What fee does he charge for a set of sights?
I don't remember off the top of my head, but around $35 sounded right. It will depend on how much fitting the new sights need.
Old 02-07-2013, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
I know right? Smith's name is Chase and I guess he's there from Thursday's to Saturday's. I hope one of us can report here how they handle our business...
Thanks, might try to get down there in the next day or two. Will advise any findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss_hk View Post
I don't remember off the top of my head, but around $35 sounded right. It will depend on how much fitting the new sights need.
Thanks Hoss, appreciate it.
Old 03-08-2013, 5:44 PM

OP, you get the work done yet?

I finally went to Wiser Owl. Small place, actually on North side of building downstairs (for some reason I thought they'd be facing South). Anyway...

Casey is very nice, the fee was $35 otd and they're quick and efficient. Nice little shop.

Will be going back.

ot, and for the ammo hunters, no 9 40 or 45 in stock this date, but sounds like some 40 may arrive next week (date/time unknown).
Old 01-29-2013, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

$20-$35 sounds like the going rate around town. Why does Novak charge so much for sight installation? Is it because Novak will actually sight your gun in?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:41 AM
Calguns Addict

I just got my RIA 'Tac from Wiser Owl as well-same day service even though Casey said they were swamped. $35 was the fee and it was well worth it; Chase said to give him a paper target and he would adjust the sights again at no charge. I will say that one side of my Trijicon sight looks a little chewed up, probably from the sight installation tool, but overall I am satisfied.

-On a side note, it's been so long since I've been able to shoot this gun that I completely forgot how to take it apart in order to give Chase the slide, ha ha...

Old 03-09-2013, 8:59 AM

I have H&K, Sig and Glock sight tools. PM me if you need help.