Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-05-2012, 9:25 AM

Default Just about a year to go: Long Gun Registration

2013 will be my year to sneak in a few long guns before CA requires registration.

I plan on purchasing:

2 Stripped Lowers
1 Remington 870 Marine Magnum
1 or 2 Mosin 91/30's
A new hunting rifle that I haven't decided on yet, but will be chambered in .270

Anyone else going to do the same thing? What's on your list to get before 1/1/14?
You represent what's wrong with America. A sheep. Waiting on your welfare so that you don't have to think or work, and be part of a movement. Now, get out of the library and let someone else use the government's computer.
Old 12-05-2012, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No plans ot goals. Just whatever pops up for a good price.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 12-05-2012, 9:34 AM
Veteran Member

Probably a few lowers for sure. Maybe 3 total.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 12-05-2012, 9:41 AM

Stripped lowers for sure maybe an sks.
Old 12-05-2012, 9:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Once it hits, I'll stop buying guns here and looking forward to moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian777 View Post
...Don't pick either side....
Old 12-05-2012, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
Once it hits, I'll stop buying guns here and looking forward to moving.
Good idea!
Old 12-05-2012, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

Small pile of lowers. Maybe an 80% build of some kind. No serial number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 12-05-2012, 9:48 AM

Maybe some 80%'ers...price might spike.

Robert
Old 12-05-2012, 9:54 AM

I am going to get a 2nd AR and probably an AK.
Old 12-05-2012, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

More lowers, an AK74, a Remington shotgun, and maybe a Saiga 12 as well.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Gotta get those 80s
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

My list is short and sweet.....move out this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Maybe a featureless build and a R700 if I can swing it but I am not too sure I really care about this registration thing. I am going to be on government lists anyways, some I don't even know about, so why let it stop me from getting a gun after 1/1/14. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get two more cheap lowers just in case...
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Another lower, for sure. Trying to resist buying another bolt gun. Trying hard....
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Did I miss something? What is in the works as far as requiring LG reg?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Hmmm,, let me think,,, Idaho!!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM

I recently bought three stripped lowers. Two have consecutive serial numbers for my boys. I plan to build theirs with them when they get older.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Am I the only one not panicking up a storm about this? Two things: First, they already have the SN of every handgun you've bought here and have filled out a 4473 for. Second, those numbers are stored in a horrendously inefficient, difficult to follow paper trail that relies on the in-house proprietary filing systems of every FFL in existance, and assumes the purchaser there never lost it/sold it to anyone else, if the FFL even still has it on file since they're only required to keep it for something like 7 years.

So if you're upset about this "new" thing, why not rage about having to do it for hanguns? Or is this just one extra thing people choose to be afraid of?

I guess if people want to build up fear and buy a whole bunch more stuff, that's just good news for me. I work part time at a gun store and we'll gladly sell you whatever you want to buy. It's great for business.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

I hear you cf. Seems numerous gun peeps are more easily whipped into a frenzy by the (many times imagined) prospect of stricter legislation, than women are by an upcoming Nordstrom shoe sale....
Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Late last year ammo was cheap. Those of us who looked ahead saw an election coming up and the likelihood that ammo prices would rise. So we stocked up then.

Currently, we see long gun registration on the horizon. Who knows how that will affect firearm prices, if at all.

Personally, I don't plan on changing my buying habits, but it's hard to fault those who may pick up and extra lower or five because they don't know how long gun registration will affect the market. If the items are cheap now, why wait til later to buy them?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM

I don't think it matters since you have to register your handguns there too. Also those leaving the state because of this will probably get into SBR/SBS and/or sound suppressors which are all registered too.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Some lowers and after 2014 might only build some AKs and buy a bolt action for hunting if I have to.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Non-issue. We have much more worthy challenges compared to this footnote of a challenge to our freedom.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Banned

Location: Sage (eastern edge of Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County

I have lots of friendly, "cash and carry" antique and C&R firearms listed for sale on the Trader here, will be listing more shortly.

Get 'em now folks, while the Marxist bastards in Sacramento have no control or knowledge of them!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM

I think most of you are missing the effect this has on C&R purchases. Currently it is possible for those licensed 03FFL to have C&R long guns shipped from out of state directly to them. Registration will necessitate going through an 01 FFL, and we all know how they like to, pardon my language, screw everyone on transfer fees in this state.

It will also put an end to the ability to buy or sell a 50 year old or older long gun face to face; those transactions will now become a PPT with the associated $35 fee.

This new law makes C&R collecting more difficult and expensive and inserts an unnecessary third party into the transaction. That's a bigger problem to me than the simple fact of a registration record.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Am I the only one not panicking up a storm about this? Two things: First, they already have the SN of every handgun you've bought here and have filled out a 4473 for. Second, those numbers are stored in a horrendously inefficient, difficult to follow paper trail that relies on the in-house proprietary filing systems of every FFL in existance, and assumes the purchaser there never lost it/sold it to anyone else, if the FFL even still has it on file since they're only required to keep it for something like 7 years.

So if you're upset about this "new" thing, why not rage about having to do it for hanguns? Or is this just one extra thing people choose to be afraid of?

I guess if people want to build up fear and buy a whole bunch more stuff, that's just good news for me. I work part time at a gun store and we'll gladly sell you whatever you want to buy. It's great for business.
Because if you give them an inch they take a mile. It's not really that this is such a horrible thing, but that it's another law and process to own firearms. What's next?

I recently bought a Stiller Tac30 Sa and a Badger M2008 Sa for the years ahead. I might pick up a BAT in La in the next few months when funds allow.

https://www.instagram.com/billygoatmachine/?hl=en
Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post

Because if you give them an inch they take a mile. It's not really that this is such a horrible thing, but that it's another law and process to own firearms. What's next?

I recently bought a Stiller Tac30 Sa and a Badger M2008 Sa for the years ahead. I might pick up a BAT in La in the next few months when funds allow.

https://www.instagram.com/billygoatmachine/?hl=en
Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!
Old 12-05-2012, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

So then help do something to fight the ridiculous legislation we have here. Panic buying is only going to encourage manufacturers and vendors to push (and keep) their prices high. Why? Because they know you'll buy it anyway.

Obama is the best thing to ever happen to gun and ammo retailers. Let people create just enough fear, but never actually do anything restrictive. Maybe it's a secret plan to boost the economy, because business is BOOMING.
Old 12-05-2012, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

A 308 AR lower...haven't built one of those yet. Want another Swedish Mauser as well.

Have a stash of standard AR lowers already.
Old 12-05-2012, 3:41 PM

I hate all you cal gunners who can build ar-15's I would be stocking up on lowers and uppers if I was 21 and could buy them. But I will be buying as many long guns as I can afford to before that evil date. I want to try to get either a Kel Tec Sub-2000 or a Ruger PC9/PC9GR, after that a remington 870 police magnum, and finally an evil Colt AR-15 preferably a LE6940. After that unless I find a good deal on a long gun im not going to buy anymore as I dont want to register them. After im just going to start saving for handguns and buy one per month when I turn 21 untill the firearm funds run out.
Old 12-05-2012, 4:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Loco View Post
I hate all you cal gunners who can build ar-15's I would be stocking up on lowers and uppers if I was 21 and could buy them. But I will be buying as many long guns as I can afford to before that evil date. I want to try to get either a Kel Tec Sub-2000 or a Ruger PC9/PC9GR, after that a remington 870 police magnum, and finally an evil Colt AR-15 preferably a LE6940. After that unless I find a good deal on a long gun im not going to buy anymore as I dont want to register them. After im just going to start saving for handguns and buy one per month when I turn 21 untill the firearm funds run out.
So you don't want to register your long guns but, you're already planning to buy handguns which will be registered. Makes sense to someone??? Also, why only buy one handgun every 30 days? Aren't you aware that you can PPT as many handguns as you want without the stupid 30 day thing? Pre owned guns are the way to go.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 12-05-2012, 4:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

^ all truth
Old 12-05-2012, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

I just looked at some 19 year old receipts from Traders, used to be the biggest gun dealer in the state. They had the serial number of all the rifles I bought from them. I don't have a copy of whatever Federal or state form I filled out at the time, so I don't know if the serials got on those, or if there is even a place for it with a rifle purchase.

I've read the ATF collects all the records when an FFL goes out of business. Supposedly the records are held for 90 days and then destroyed; yeah, right. So, is the govt aware of all those rifles? Know serial number and model?
Old 12-05-2012, 6:30 PM

Yeah I dont mind registering hand guns because there is nothing I can do about it. But there is somthing I can do about long guns and that is buy as many as I can before you are required to register them. Anywow I did not know that ppt's were exempt from the 1 in 30 rule. I have not bought a used gun yet, but im sure I will soon.
Old 12-05-2012, 6:47 PM

HD shotgun & .308. Then I'm good on rifles & such. Then, just one or two more handguns...

Last edited by Dinosaur Jr; 12-05-2012 at 6:49 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 7:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

AR-15 and maybe another M1A.

Thanks Kalifornia, Peoples Republic of

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 12-05-2012, 7:38 PM

Write your politicians and keep writing to them. If we get together, it makes a difference. You have a voice, use it.
Old 12-05-2012, 7:52 PM

The main reason for buying before registration is if they ever ban guns like England there won't be a record of the gun....

My High power Rocketry hobby;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAigaiK0YBI
------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-05-2012, 8:32 PM

80s and AK kits
Old 12-05-2012, 8:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Hopefully the Obama panic dies down enough for me to buy some lowers.