Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Default Glock slide closes when magazine is inserted into magwell.

So the other day I went shooting with my Gen 3 Glock 19. The gun has about 3000 rounds through it and I've owned it since new.

I had the slide locked open and I went to load a full magazine. when I slammed the mag into the gun the slide unlocked on it's own and chambered a round. It only does this when there is at least one round in the magazine and when I do it with considerable force. It does it with all my mags and and it had never done this before.

When I do it with an empy mag or when I insert it softly, the slide will stay locked back.

Now, I've done a little research and the general concensus on the internet is that this is "cool" and people prefer it this way. I don't agree so I'm wondering if anyone can provide a little insight on what I should do.

The reason I don't like it is because I've developed muscle memory to grab the slide and sling shot it and I'd like to retain that same muscle memory.

So, any advice?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Just replace the slide stop spring. Some people think this is a feature, its not. Its a problem caused by weak spring or worn out stop or slide. If you pistol does something unexpected it should be fixed.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

All of my Glocks have done this since new.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
Yeap,new glock does same
Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Calguns Addict

They should not do this. Usually a weak slide stop spring.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 AM

I have purposefully tried this on my 23 and it stays locked open.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 AM
In Memoriam

Some CZ's do this as well. I like it.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor346 View Post
It only does this when there is at least one round in the magazine and when I do it with considerable force. It does it with all my mags and and it had never done this before.
Its not a feature but not an issue either.

Lots of pistols will do it if you slap the magazine in hard enough, the magazine follower of the empty magazine is no longer activating the slide stop and when you slap in the new loaded magazine hard enough in it causes the slide stop to bounce and release.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Its not a feature but not an issue either.

Lots of pistols will do it if you slap the magazine in hard enough, the magazine follower of the empty magazine is no longer activating the slide stop and when you slap in the new loaded magazine hard enough in it causes the slide stop to bounce and release.
+1. Non issue.
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Old 06-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Splat View Post
Just replace the slide stop spring. Some people think this is a feature, its not. Its a problem caused by weak spring or worn out stop or slide. If you pistol does something unexpected it should be fixed.
This.

You should also check for lube, grease at the slide stop area and remove them. And don't slam it so hard .

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

My S&W M&P 9mm does this. I know how hard to slam the mag in so its not an unexpected thing. Havn't tried on any other guns yet.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Lots of pistols will do it if you slap the magazine in hard enough...
Yes, this is not a Glock-specific "issue." It's not really an issue to begin with. Many semi-auto pistols will do this if you insert a loaded magazine with enough force. Some do it more easily than others, and some do it more easily due to wear.

At any rate, why are you worried about it? In what circumstance are you inserting a loaded magazine with enough force to cause the slide to release when you wouldn't have immediately released it manually anyway? Why are you inserting a loaded magazine but want the slide to stay back? I'm not sure I can imagine a reason that you wouldn't be doing this with the intent to immediately chamber a round anyway.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Has this been known to cause Glock-leg yet?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This
Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
At any rate, why are you worried about it? In what circumstance are you inserting a loaded magazine with enough force to cause the slide to release when you wouldn't have immediately released it manually anyway? Why are you inserting a loaded magazine but want the slide to stay back? I'm not sure I can imagine a reason that you wouldn't be doing this with the intent to immediately chamber a round anyway.
Because "auto-forward" can cause a feed malfunction. I owned a brand new M&P9 which auto-forwarded out of the box, and half the time it did that I was rewarded with a jammed round stuck between the feed ramp and the slide. A 50% failure rate does not a good technique make.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
Because "auto-forward" can cause a feed malfunction. I owned a brand new M&P9 which auto-forwarded out of the box, and half the time it did that I was rewarded with a jammed round stuck between the feed ramp and the slide. A 50% failure rate does not a good technique make.
Get a glock
Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Good point. Some guns require the extra energy that you get from pulling the slide back off the release and further compressing the recoil spring and giving it a little more runway to pick up speed. Some guns absolutely do not need this. Some of those lock the slide at nearly the entire way back and it's not an issue compared to guns where the slide comes back forwards a bit before hitting the lock. Sucks that your M&P won't feed from slide lock. That's a poor design, IMHO. If there's a finger pad on it and you can release the slide by pressing the slide release, IT SHOULD CHAMBER A ROUND 100% FROM THAT. If you have to pull back on the slide to get it to chamber, then it shouldn't have a slide release -- just an internal lock, like the Beretta NANO. Sucks. My guns feed completely reliably from slide release, as a gun should.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
My guns feed completely reliably from slide release, as a gun should.
The guns I had that would not, from slide release, overhand, or slingshot, are exactly that........guns I had.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Get a glock
This
Old 06-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That's suck! Especially on a new M&P with new spring. I would call M&P to have them check the inner diameter of the barrel. It maybe out of tolerance.

When your guide rod spring is getting weaker, it may not even work with your sling-shot technique.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 PM

my m&p 40 does it, but it makes me feel like I'm an operator or something so I don't care. and out of 5000 rounds mine has never FTF, FTE.

NRA Life Member...Are you?!?!

Can't wait to be DEEP SEA!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." Thomas Jefferson 1787

Old 06-27-2012, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

My Sig will do this to if I really slam it in there. But when I owned Glock they did it easier. And it is a feature on Glocks according to a Glock gunsmith and PC 832 firearms instructor.
Old 06-27-2012, 1:52 PM

In my glock 23 if I slam a mag hard enough, not only will it chamber a round, it will just fire full auto until the mag is empty. I consider it a feature.

just kidding I don't even own a glock.
Old 06-27-2012, 1:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0351USMC View Post
Yeap,new glock does same
Thanks for confirming that Glock malfunctions are common even from brand new guns.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 06-27-2012, 2:23 PM

To my Glocks, MP's, Beretta, XD's. will do it if the weapon is held at 45 degree angle. And I like it made a great speed reload.
Old 06-27-2012, 2:26 PM

A newer Glock of mine does this. I will tackle other pressing gunsmith projects first. And get around to fixing it.... maybe never.
Old 06-27-2012, 2:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Retaining control of the magazine all the way into the well and firmly inserting it, instead of slamming it into the well, helps prevent the slide stop from being jarred off (on any semi auto pistol, not just Glocks). It also helps ensure that the magazine seats fully and locks into place - which is a well known issue with the Glock pistols that I've trained cops with for a decade or so. It's always fun to watch an officer slam the mag into their Glock, fire a round, and have the magazine drop out of the well onto the ground. Their expression is priceless.

BTW, the Glock trainer who came to our department and trained all of the rangemasters referred to a Glock that did that as a "bonus Glock". I wouldn't call it a bonus, but it's not a serious problem either.
Old 06-27-2012, 3:33 PM

Ok, so it's a weak slide stop spring.

I've never taken my pistol apart farther than what I need for cleaning. Is replacing that spring something I can do myself? I don't really have "armorer's tools" but It doesn't seem too tough.
Old 06-27-2012, 3:35 PM

I think it's a nonissue. I've heard of it being called "combat loading" before.
Old 06-27-2012, 3:39 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
All three of mine do it if you slam the mag in hard enough

Quote:
So all 3 of mine came with weak springs? Two I bought brand new and did it on the first few mags. I don't believe it.
Old 06-27-2012, 3:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

if you slam it enough to overcome the inertia of the slidestop it will release if you insert it in the magwell it doesn't always do that

did you know if you take a 1911 and slam its muzzle on something hard it can set off a round
Old 06-27-2012, 4:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, you can get a brand new Glock to do that if you slam it hard enough. And my one G17, with over 75,000 rounds, does it also. It's just an artifact of the design. It's not a weak spring, or worn slide stop.
Old 06-27-2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Thanks for confirming that S&W malfunctions are common even from brand new guns.
Agree.
Old 06-27-2012, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor346 View Post
Ok, so it's a weak slide stop spring.
No, its not.

If it was a weak slide stop spring then you could replicate the same thing with an empty magazine or even with no magazine.

Go ahead and try...

Nothing happened right?

That's because the empty follower of the magazine is holding up the slide stop. Or in the case of an empty magazine well the slide stop is doing its job.

Now lock your slide back and look into the ejection port, see the small triangular shaped piece of metal that the magazine follower makes contact with on an empty magazine? (it makes contact on the front left of the magazine where there's a molding number, my magazines all have a 5) That is the part of the slide lock that the magazine follower lifts and causes the slide to lock.

Now load a magazine with a snap cap.

Notice that that metal tab is no longer supported by the magazine as the snap cap has lowered the follower.

If you slam the the magazine with the snap cap in hard enough the energy of the slap will transfer up the magazine and cause the slide stop to bounce and release.

Newtons Laws in action.

Edit:
BTW this has been talked about here a couple times,
Someone even had the idea to make a list of pistols that could do it
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=452748

Last edited by Chaos47; 06-27-2012 at 7:24 PM..
Old 06-27-2012, 4:27 PM

Hmmmm.... I'll try to duplicate this after work.
Old 06-27-2012, 4:35 PM

I have a Taurus PT 140 that did this. I didn't think much of it as I remember some 1911's doing this when I was in the military.

I called Taurus and they said that it absolutely not do this so I sent it back to them. They replaced the entire slide FOC.

It works perfectly now. I'd get it checked out by a Glock armor. It's not a big deal, IMO, but it struck me as a little unsafe. Made me uneasy so I got it repaired.

Old 06-27-2012, 5:30 PM

My 35 does this but only when I'm rough with sliding the magazine in. Not really an issue for me. Not now at least..
Old 06-27-2012, 5:37 PM

A weak spring? Really? You guys do know that the springs are designed to keep the slide down in the DOWN position to prevent it from accidentally engaging right?

To the original poster, all of my Glocks do this. It is not a defect, or a feature. Just a cause of physics. Inserting magazine quickly gives enough momentum to move the slide just enough for the slide lock spring to pull the slide lock back down, causing the slide to return forwards. There is nothing worn out or defective. Don't listen to the people who say it's a bad spring.

www.theshootersblog.com
Old 06-27-2012, 5:43 PM

I'm trying to figure out how it's a weak slide stop spring, since the spring helps hold the slide stop down, not up. If you replace the slide stop spring, it would increase tension pulling down on the slide stop and make the problem even worse.

With that said, most pistols do this. I notice it more with pistols with shallow notches in the slide for the slide stop. It seldom happens to me with 1911's or older pistols with deep notches...
Old 06-27-2012, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cable Guy View Post
A weak spring? Really? You guys do know that the springs are designed to keep the slide down in the DOWN position to prevent it from accidentally engaging right?
Oh hell. I was typing the same thing when you posted this.