Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2017, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I was just over at Dave's "Issues" webpage and it now has a CCW listing. Here is the key quote: "As Sheriff, I will honor personal protection as good cause sufficient to issue a CCW."

I encourage everyone in SD Co to support Myers now (donate $$$ and volunteer time), to make him a viable challenger to Gore. Maybe then Gore will also come out (pun intended) for SD = GC. Then, if either of them win, you'll win!

Even those not in SD Co should consider supporting (donating) to Myers since liberating SD Co is liberating, IIRC, 3.3M CAians -- 1/10th of the state!

If nothing else, everyone should sign his pro-CCW petition at:
https://www.davemyersforsheriff.com/...mits-petition/

Here is the CCW entry in its entirety:

For those who keep bringing up Repub vs Dem, that Gore ran as a Repub or Myers is running as a Dem: sheriffs are non-partisan offices and non-partisan races. Why? Because sheriffs do not make laws, they just enforce them. Sure, Myers got endorsed by some Dem group and he personally may be a Dem, but he isn't running as a Dem. candidate.

Is he stating self defense as "good cause"

Otherwise this is no different that Sheriff Ruby Ridge Gore.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Same movie, different cast.
Old 08-20-2017, 2:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91SDLegend View Post
CCW is my #1 priority but I also don't want to vote someone in who is going to turn their back on us as well. Just because he vows or makes a public statement saying he will issue CCW's for citizens who use SD as the reasoning doesn't mean he will change it once he's elected. For all we know he could've just been saying that to get our votes so he can kick Gore out of office. I'm not fan of Gore either. You think there hasn't been sleeze balls who haven't done this? He may not be an legislator but he is still an elected official who also is given the authority on how to set his CCW issuance policies and I'm just supposed to take his word? There's no validity that would make me feel comfortable to vote for him at the moment. Last thing we need is another reign similar to Gore.
Words on his campaign website reflect exactly what he wants to say. They're not some off the cuff remark during a campaign speech or interview. They're not a party platform that the individual candidate does not have complete control over. That's why I trust his campaign website more than those other "sources."

At this point, he's your only hope for a CA CCW using SD = GC for the foreseeable future (i.e., next 5 years).

Quote:
And don't assume I won't cross party lines. I will if it gets me a CCW. I already accepted the fact we are a one party state. Political affiliations do matter to a certain extent even for a Sheriff. Maybe he has the same stance about the 2A that is similar to our nightmare Gavin Newsom and just doesn't want to show it. We're still a 50/50 county and he will want to get as many votes as he can get so he can solidify his position.
While all in this paragraph is true, think of all the Leftists he will lose/turn off by coming out for SD = GC CA CCWs. Maybe he's calculated that he'll gain more GOPers by being for CCWs than he'll lose Dems, just to get into office and then flip. But, frankly, I doubt he has that detailed polling data and if he does, that he'd be confident to bet his campaign upon it. JMO

Quote:
Again, my point is here, just because you make a public statement or vow to support the 2A doesn't mean anything unless you have a track record of it. I want to see some solid proof and vetting on this guy that shows hes a 2A supporter.
You won't see that for ANY sheriff's candidate UNLESS: (1) they were a politician (mayor, city council, governor, state assemblymember, state senator), who had a vote on something 2nd A related; or (2) they previously were a CA CoP (of an incorporated city that issued CCWs) or sheriff. So your standard is, practically, impossible for them to meet.

You know what you've got with Gore (or, more accurately, what you don't "got": a chance for a CA CCW). Myers is not a guaranteed SD = GC standard. But what other options (other than moving) do you have???

UNLESS Gore changes his stance and says he'll accept SD = GC AND actually starts issuing for SD = GC (unlike Myers, Gore can prove his word since he's in office now and can start issuing for SD = GC right now), I'd "hold my nose" (because I'm a pro-Trump Christian conservative) and donate & volunteer for Myers. The sooner Myers gets support, the stronger challenger he'll be and as we all know, challenging an incumbent sheriff is a rarely won fight. How much do you want a CA CCW? What do you have to lose???

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 08-24-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Old 08-20-2017, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Is he stating self defense as "good cause"
From his campaign website re. CCWs:

• The applicant demonstrates good cause.
• As Sheriff, I will honor personal protection as good cause sufficient to issue a CCW.

That's EXACTLY what he's saying. (And, ironically, he's saying it as an answer exactly the way I phrase it as a question: "Will you accept 'self-defense' as a sufficient Good Cause for issuing a CCW?")

FWIW, as you can easily see, I don't have a dog in this fight: I'm in the SFBA. Why am I keeping up with this then? Because SD Co is 1/10th of CA's population and is the 2nd most populous county behind only LA Co. IOW, winning SD county would be a HUGE win and take us from ~45% of CAians living where they can readily get a CCW to >55%.

The more counties we win, the more pressure there is on the remaining anti sheriffs to readily issue (because there's no "blood in the streets" over fender-benders and parking spaces in SD Co.). If SDSO accepts SD = GC, that should add 10,000 to 20,000 CA CCWers, taking us to 105 to 115k CCWers total, making it more likely a CCWer will stop a BG before he crosses your path, even if you don't CCW. CCWers are like people who get vaccinated: they make us all safer.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-20-2017 at 3:14 PM..
Old 08-20-2017, 2:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
I'm inclined to agree. I live within the San Diego city limits, and thinking about the Gore's influence on life in the city, I can't think of anything other than this CCW issue where the sheriff has a direct influence. Given that I'd be inclined to vote Myers.

If I missed something please enlighten me.......
EXACTLY!!!

Nowadays, EVERYBODY has their own police. I'm in the SFBA and UCSF, UCB, Cal State East Bay and even BART has their own police. That's in addition to all of the incorporated cities own police departments. I wouldn't be surprised if Muni (SF bus system) and AC Transit (East Bay bus system), and a bunch of other things (like parks), don't have their own LE agencies. We're not in the 1800s where you had a sheriff, a marshal and as needed deputies and that's it for the entire county.

If Myers is crappy, there will be a scandal and he'll either quit, be removed from office (recall election? removed by County Sups?), or not win a 2nd term. Meanwhile, if he at least keeps his pro-CCW promise, a LOT of SDians will get CCWs which will make it more politically costly for the next sheriff to switch back to a restrictive GC requirement.

The more gunnies that volunteer/donate to Myers, the more influence you will have up on him. Use that to get him to put resources behind issuing CCWs so that there's not an immediate 1+ year backlog of CCW applications. You'll need to get as many folks issued CCWs as possible as fast as possible so that SD will never be able to go back to restrictive issuance. Switching from downloading an application to online applications would be a good first step: http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

Last edited by Paladin; 08-20-2017 at 3:11 PM..
Old 08-20-2017, 8:08 PM

Might want to browse his Facebook, it's public. Ask him about the people he was marching with all day today that had signs with "No KKK, No NRA, No neo-nazi USA" Don't you think he'd say something if he was sooooo pro 2a?
Old 08-20-2017, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoSD View Post
Might want to browse his Facebook, it's public. Ask him about the people he was marching with all day today that had signs with "No KKK, No NRA, No neo-nazi USA" Don't you think he'd say something if he was sooooo pro 2a?
Not unless it was relevant to what they were marching about.

I guess you missed my previous posts re. his position on other issues and how relevant those other issues are to the job of a county sheriff.
Quote:
Yeah, of course: Myer's a liberal Democrat.

But what do his "ideologies" matter since he isn't a legislator and isn't running for a political office?

Sounds like getting a CA CCW isn't your #1 priority in deciding who you'll vote for sheriff....
Quote:
UNLESS Gore changes his stance and says he'll accept SD = GC AND actually starts issuing for SD = GC (he can prove his word since he's in office now and can start issuing for SD = GC right now, unlike Myers), I'd "hold my nose" (because I'm a pro-Trump Christian conservative) and donate & volunteer for Myers. The sooner Myers gets support, the stronger challenger he'll be and as we all know, challenging an incumbent sheriff is a rarely won fight. How much do you want a CA CCW? What do you have to lose???
Quote:
EXACTLY!!!

Nowadays, EVERYBODY has their own police. I'm in the SFBA and UCSF, UCB, Cal State East Bay and even BART has their own police. That's in addition to all of the incorporated cities own police departments. I wouldn't be surprised if Muni (SF bus system) and AC Transit (East Bay bus system), and a bunch of other things (like parks), don't have their own LE agencies. We're not in the 1800s where you had a sheriff, a marshal and as needed deputies and that's it for the entire county.

If Myers is crappy, there will be a scandal and he'll either quit, be removed from office (recall election? removed by County Sups?), or not win a 2nd term. Meanwhile, if he at least keeps his pro-CCW promise, a LOT of SDians will get CCWs which will make it more politically costly for the next sheriff to switch back to a restrictive GC requirement.
If you care about his position re. the KKK, Nazis or whatever more than you care about getting a CCW, go right ahead and keep Gore in office and stay unarmed in public for another 4 years....

If Myers is for CCWs only because he's gay and he realized after the Pulse (gay) Nightclub massacre in FL that issuing CCWs is a good policy, I don't care. Frankly, I don't even care about his position on AWs, roster, or anything else 2nd A related because he has NO CONTROL over any of that. He ONLY (and exclusively) has control over SDSO's CCW policy. I don't even care if he's anti-NRA since many CGNers are also anti-NRA. (But they're usually pro-SAF, GOA/GOC. But he may be pro-Pink Pistols....)

Heller was won in June 2008. McDonald was won in June 2010. Peruta was lost in June 2017. How long are CGNers going to "put all their (CCW) eggs" in the federal courts' "basket"? How old do you want to be before you can CCW? Flanagan hasn't even gone to trial yet. We might not win ANY type of carry EVER from the courts, state or federal. Yet you'll let these other issues, ones the sheriff cannot control, determine who you vote for sheriff??? This might be San Diego's best and possibly even ONLY chance to go to SD = GC. Don't waste this opportunity!

Last edited by Paladin; 08-21-2017 at 7:22 PM..
Old 08-21-2017, 9:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Trust must be earned. So far all I see is hot air. Someone pin this guy down please?
Old 08-21-2017, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Trust must be earned. So far all I see is hot air. Someone pin this guy down please?
He's made public statements saying he'll accept SD = GC for issuing CCWs.

He's put that in writing on his campaign website under "Issues."

What can Myers do that would satisfy you?

Old 08-21-2017, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
From his campaign website re. CCWs:

• The applicant demonstrates good cause.
• As Sheriff, I will honor personal protection as good cause sufficient to issue a CCW.

That's EXACTLY what he's saying. (And, ironically, he's saying it as an answer exactly the way I phrase it as a question: "Will you accept 'self-defense' as a sufficient Good Cause for issuing a CCW?")

Thanks for the clarity, it looks like the things we need to have happen.

I'll keep close attention and support him as long as the tide does not turn before the election. Thanks for the time you've spent on this.
Old 08-21-2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:

And he said so much so in a LIVE radio broadcast interview with Mr. Schwartz of SDGO PAC.

Quote:
Not sure how much more can be done to "pin this guy down" than that.....WTH do you want, his signature in blood???????
Old 08-21-2017, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
snip.....WTH do you want, his signature in blood???????

Nope, just on my CCW!

Old 08-21-2017, 10:25 PM

^^^^^^
+1
And I know I'll never get that from gore. I don't see what there is to lose with a vote for myers/against gore.

Again, if I'm missing something, please enlighten me.
Old 08-22-2017, 8:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
^^^^^^
+1
And I know I'll never get that from gore. I don't see what there is to lose with a vote for myers/against gore.

Again, if I'm missing something, please enlighten me.
Anybody still wonder why the status of the 2A is in such dire straits as it is right now in CA? Gore has PROVEN he won't issue a CCW unless forced to. He blamed the state law requiring "good cause", but several counties have used "self defense" as "good cause" without any issue at all.

And people who own guns and supposedly believe in the 2A will still vote for him......

Look at it this way; It can't get any worse for concealed carry permits than it is right now. If you say you support the 2A and still vote for Gore, you don't actually support the 2A, you support a party and the 2A is disposable.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 08-22-2017, 9:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Simple: spell it out in plain English that he will issue, period. Anything less than that is politi-speak and cannot be trusted. No code words like "may issue under good cause" or any other BS. I don't trust ANY polititian and they must prove to me that they will do as they say. So far, not happening.

If I list all the candidates that promised and backed out on their promises, I'll be here all day long. I'd rather have an old Gore that will be gone soon than a lying young democrat that will be around for years and years.

You will learn this from experience. California was once a free and open place, now it's Cuba with newer cars.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Simple: spell it out in plain English that he will issue, period. Anything less than that is politi-speak and cannot be trusted. No code words like "may issue under good cause" or any other BS. I don't trust ANY polititian and they must prove to me that they will do as they say. So far, not happening.

If I list all the candidates that promised and backed out on their promises, I'll be here all day long. I'd rather have an old Gore that will be gone soon than a lying young democrat that will be around for years and years.

You will learn this from experience. California was once a free and open place, now it's Cuba with newer cars.
From this link:

https://sdrostra.com/san-diego-count...sheriffs-race/

found in post #18 in this thread:

Quote:
snip.............On Sunday, June 4, Myers was a guest on 1170AM Gun Sports Radio and was asked about his CCW policies if elected in 2018. He was asked, “if a CCW applicant passes their criminal background check, it’s confirmed they are not under investigation, and they complete the required safety and firearms law class…as sheriff, will you issue them a CCW using personal protection or self-defense as their good cause?” Myers answered, “absolutely yes” adding “I am at odds with Bill Gore’s flawed and tortured attempt to deny law-abiding citizens the right to self-protection and he literally has wasted millions of taxpayers’ dollars trying to fight law-abiding citizens when he should be spending that money, say, combating hate-crime which has tripled.”
Now Mr. Jah.... Everyone is entitled to their opinion-including you. IN MINE, if this isn't clear enough for you, then you have other issues that possibly need medical/psychiatric attention.....

jmho
Old 08-23-2017, 9:56 AM

Quote:
From this link:

https://sdrostra.com/san-diego-count...sheriffs-race/

found in post #18 in this thread:

Now Mr. Jah.... Everyone is entitled to their opinion-including you. IN MINE, if this isn't clear enough for you, then you have other issues that possibly need medical/psychiatric attention.....

jmho
Or Jimi Jah should post in his own words how he would respond if he was Myers. What sentence should he put on his website that would be convincing?

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Old 08-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Simple: spell it out in plain English that he will issue, period. Anything less than that is politi-speak and cannot be trusted.
Of course Myers will issue: even Gore issues. Saying "he will issue, period" says NOTHING other than he will follow CA's "May Issue" CCW law. Don't you know that?

Quote:
No code words like "may issue under good cause" or any other BS.
"may issue under good cause" is NOT BS: it is what CA state law requires. Don't you know that?

Quote:
I don't trust ANY polititian and they must prove to me that they will do as they say. So far, not happening.
Again, rephrased: how can they prove it to you? Unlike Gore, who is the incumbent and can change his mind right now and say he'll accept SD = GC and start issuing with SD = GC right now, Myers is a challenger and cannot DO anything other than say/write what he promises to do if elected. Don't you know that?

Quote:

Ronald Reagan was over 70 when he ran for his 2nd term. Gore, and his anti CCW policy, may be around for longer than you think....

Since you only have 1 vote, I won't waste more time and effort trying to explain things to you, Jimi Jah. By the others' posts, I see I am not alone in wondering about your sincerity and/or mental capacity.

Do what you want to do.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-23-2017 at 1:09 PM..
Old 08-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Or Jimi Jah should post in his own words how he would respond if he was Myers. What sentence should he put on his website that would be convincing?
He wants someone to time travel and bring back a newspaper.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 08-23-2017, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I should mention for those who don't like some of Dave Myers' other political positions that when I say you guys (in SD), should support him ASAP with donations ($$$) and volunteering, you are not married to the guy. IIRC, new candidates have until late January or early Feb 2018 to file. So, if someone else comes along who's pro-CCW and more to your liking and a viable contender against Gore, you can stop supporting Myers and start supporting (time and money) that other candidate at that time.

Similarly, Gore could "see the light" and change his policy to accept SD = GC and start readily issuing CCWs anytime he wants. That's what the sheriff of, IIRC, San Joaquin county did in 2013 rather than lose to a strong, pro-CCW challenger in the 2014 election. Since that sheriff backed up his words with actually issuing CCWs for SD many months before the election, he was reelected and is still issuing.

Just a few months ago, Sheriff Parkinson of SLO liberalized his CCW policy, again probably the result of both a change of heart and to solidify his support among conservatives/gunnies.

Sheriff Gore can say something like he's been watching closely the changes in Ventura, Riverside and Orange counties since they've liberalized issuance and since they haven't had problems with CCWers, and there haven't been problems in the 42 states that are Shall Issue, he's changed his mind and wants to try it out. If it comes up, he can also say his "evolution" on the issue was the reason he stopped appealing Peruta too.

But for now, the only candidate who's come out for issuing CCWs for "self-defense" is Dave Myers. So, for now, your focus should be on making Myers a viable challenger to unseat Sheriff Gore.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-23-2017 at 4:54 PM..
Old 08-25-2017, 2:59 PM

I will vote for Myers. I will tell everyone that I know to vote for Myers. Any opportunity I have to speak with strangers about this, I will tell them to vote for Myers.

This is purely in the interest of CCWs. I would love for San Diego County to become a safer place.

I owe FP something.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Plenty of time until the election. I'll wait to decide. I will not vote for Gore, I may sit it out if I don't like Meyer's campaign.

I have 3 choices, one or the other or "none of the above are acceptable" catagory.
Old 08-27-2017, 3:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Plenty of time until the election. I'll wait to decide. I will not vote for Gore, I may sit it out if I don't like Meyer's campaign.

I have 3 choices, one or the other or "none of the above are acceptable" catagory.
Fair enough. I never voted for gore, even when he ran unopposed.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 08-28-2017, 7:39 AM

If the election were today, Myers would have my vote. A lot can happen until then. Position of sheriff shouldn't have to many platforms to run on, but CCW is a biggie. Is be willing to change and it might be a pipe dream but we already know what we get with Gore-nothing.
Old 08-30-2017, 4:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCutter View Post
Can you please hyperlink where we can find Myers' statement about issuing CCW permits? I looked at his Facebook page and could not locate this.

I'm assuming SDCGO will be interviewing Myers in detail about his views. (See http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/p...f-endorsement/ ) I'll be very interested to see what SDCGO says.
Not sure of the link, but Mr Myers was a guest speaker on a firearms related talk show and the question was asked would he issue CCWs to someone with self defense being the reason for request to which he answered yes. I think it was back in June. I listened to is on Facebook, but can't find it since I'm not on FB anymore.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:43 AM

Posted this in another David Myers thread as well. Looks too his position on ccw
https://www.davemyersforsheriff.com/...nity_relations
Old 08-31-2017, 10:55 AM

^^^looks clear to me. He has my vote. Of course he could not fulfill his promise, but at least there's hope. Better than the alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Gore fought against readily issuing CCWs in the Peruta case for YEARS! (I forget when the original trial was.)

Did the NRA endorse Gore in 2010? Not sure if Peruta was being litigated then, but I'd bet it was since I can't see it going to trial, getting a decision, being appealed, having oral arguments, and getting a decision in less than 3.5 years.

Did the NRA endorse Gore in 2014? I know Peruta was being litigated then, since the 3-judge appeals panel released its decision on Feb 13, 2014. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.77a9fbc8e374

If Gore remains anti and Myers remains pro (and there's not other viable pro-CCW candidate), will the NRA endorse Myers against Gore in 2018? Someone in SD Co needs to step up and ask the NRA. H. Paul Payne of the NRA Members Councils would be a good start: http://nramemberscouncils.com/
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=8092

Old 09-14-2017, 9:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Gore fought against readily issuing CCWs in the Peruta case for YEARS! (I forget when the original trial was.)

Did the NRA endorse Gore in 2010? Not sure if Peruta was being litigated then, but I'd bet it was since I can't see it going to trial, getting a decision, being appealed, having oral arguments, and getting a decision in less than 3.5 years.

Did the NRA endorse Gore in 2014? I know Peruta was being litigated then, since the 3-judge appeals panel released its decision on Feb 13, 2014. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.77a9fbc8e374

If Gore remains anti and Myers remains pro (and there's not other viable pro-CCW candidate), will the NRA endorse Myers against Gore in 2018? Someone in SD Co needs to step up and ask the NRA. H. Paul Payne of the NRA Members Councils would be a good start: http://nramemberscouncils.com/
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=8092
Doesn't anyone in SD Co. remember whether the NRA supported Gore in 2014 or 2010? Don't any posters in this thread also attend SD Co Member's Council meetings?

Old 09-14-2017, 9:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I fully expect the CA DNC to force Myers to change his position in order to recieve campaign funding.

Watch for that.
Old 09-23-2017, 7:47 AM
Calguns Addict

IIRC, the cutoff for candidates to register is the end of January: that's only 4 months away.

And before that, they've got to lock in support of politicos in the county: local, state and even national representatives (e.g., mayors in the county, congressional reps in the county).

IOW, there is literally no time to spare for anyone else who wants to run for sheriff.

Old 09-26-2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
I fully expect the CA DNC to force Myers to change his position in order to recieve campaign funding.

Watch for that.
or CA DEM's pass a law making state have uniform CCW may issue law, or law increasing fees and more requirements for CCW.

let me count the ways!

CA DEMOCRATS = gun control
Old 10-30-2017, 4:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Looks like there might be "change we can believe in" taking place in SD Co SO -- with Gore still sheriff, no less!

Remember, Gore stopped fighting against Peruta after the 3-judge panel went against him. It was Kammie and CA that fought against us at the en banc panel and when seeking cert.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
From San Diego County Gun Owners PAC

Throw out everything you think you know about CCWs and San Diego. We are receiving feedback that SDCGO's efforts to highlight Gore's block of your right to bear arms is working. His internal standards have been loosened and the amount of paperwork required has been lessened. We think.

So what does this mean? Well, we aren't sure because Sheriff Gore's policy is poorly written, subjective, and purposely vague.

We are asking you to help us figure it out and maybe get your CCW in the process.

Here's how:
Step 1: Read his website, download the application, complete as much as you can. Link: https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

Step 2: Call and make an appointment for an interview. Number: 858-974-2020

Step 3: Make a list of reasons you need a CCW. Be creative. This part is hard to advise or offer specifics. And this is really where you are helping. Is Gore just making election year noise? Or can the average law-abiding San Diegan obtain a CCW? It is probably somewhere in the middle and we don't know how long it will last (the election is in June), so right now is your chance!

Step 4: Dress nicely, be polite, and go to your 1st appointment. After you get your CCW, or are denied, please send us an email to let us know if you were successful. What was your "good cause" statement and did it work? How was your experience with the staff? Were the staffers helpful or discouraging?

We hear from people all the time wanting to get their CCWs, so jump on this possible opportunity as fast as you can. The appointment slots are going to fill up so hurry up and call to make your appointment.

ETA: Just to be clear: we do NOT know if Gore has liberalized issuance and even if he has, we do NOT know to what extent. For all we know he may have broadened his GC requirement only enough to take SD Co from "light red" to "yellow." Personally, I doubt if he'd go all the way to "dark green", the way Meyer has said (accepting SD/PP = GC), but if Gore goes to "light green," even that would be great since we're talking about the 2nd most populous county (at 3.3M) to LA Co (10M).

Last edited by Paladin; 10-30-2017 at 9:59 PM..
Old 10-30-2017, 9:10 PM

Frankly without comparing the new wording to the old, I don't see a significant difference:

Applicants for a CCW should be able to set forth a set of circumstances that distinguishes the applicant from other members of the general public and causes him or her to be placed in harm’s way. Simply writing "self defense" or "personal protection" on an application does not provide the requisite proof of good cause.

I don't think the majority of citizens can meet this standard, in fact, almost by definition, the majority cannot distinguish themselves from the "general public". We ARE the general public. None of the 7 exceptions listed apply to most people I know.

I view this "change" as meaningless, and if intended to get votes, it is nothing but a scam. Am I missing something here?

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
Frankly without comparing the new wording to the old, I don't see a significant difference:

Applicants for a CCW should be able to set forth a set of circumstances that distinguishes the applicant from other members of the general public and causes him or her to be placed in harm’s way. Simply writing "self defense" or "personal protection" on an application does not provide the requisite proof of good cause.

I don't think the majority of citizens can meet this standard, in fact, almost by definition, the majority cannot distinguish themselves from the "general public". We ARE the general public. None of the 7 exceptions listed apply to most people I know.

I view this "change" as meaningless, and if intended to get votes, it is nothing but a scam. Am I missing something here?
As I understand it, this is a change that may (or may not) have happened recently and not reflected in a change on their website and application materials. But since the process takes a looong time from application to approval/denial, SDCGOPAC is putting this out immediately so those willing to try (can afford to waste some time, money and effort in exchange for what might be a better than "normal" (for SD Co) chance at getting a CCW), to apply ASAP and let them know how it goes.

Plus, as I ETA'ed my post, just because SDSO may still not accept SD/PP = GC (taking SD Co to "dark green" in the map), that does NOT mean they haven't liberalized CCW issuance and broadened acceptable GC. Going to "light green" or even just "yellow" would be an improvement for SD Co.

The main thing is SDCGOPAC wants to base their opinions re. sheriffs candidates upon the best evidence they can get, and for Gore and CCWs, that's what he's accepting as GC for issuing and what he's rejecting as GC for denying CCWs. As the old saying goes, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

For more details, contact SDGOPAC: http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/contact/

Last edited by Paladin; 10-31-2017 at 4:44 PM..
Old 10-31-2017, 9:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Many applied here after Puerta. They were encouraged to do so. As far as I know, none got their permits here. What they did recieve were rejections.

Having applied and having a rejection on your record is worse than having never applied at all.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Many applied here after Puerta.
"after Peruta"? What does that mean? After the trial court decision? the 3-judge panel decision? the en banc panel decision? Peruta was denied cert on June 26th of this year. People were "encouraged" to apply "after" that? Your sloppiness does not make you credible.

Quote:
They were encouraged to do so.
By whom? If by SDGOPAC, link?

Quote:
As far as I know, none got their permits here. What they did recieve were rejections.
Wrong.

If you had bothered to read the OP of the SD Co. CCW Info thread, you would see that the sheriff said after Peruta was finalized they would contact applicants who used SD = GC and whose apps were held in abeyance to ask them how they wanted to proceed. If SD was the only GC they could muster, they could withdraw their application (w/o a denial), or apply but be denied. Of course, they could revise their GC to more than just SD and apply and take their chances.

Quote:
Having applied and having a rejection on your record is worse than having never applied at all.

While that may have been prudent advice many years ago, back when a CLEO would simply deny an app w/o stating why making subsequent CLEOs leery of going against the previous CLEO's decision, the law was changed a few years ago and now CLEO are required to state why you were denied. As long as it was for insufficient Good Cause, a denial won't hurt your chances. If it was because of lack of Good Moral Character, that will be an issue with subsequent attempts.

Last edited by Paladin; 10-31-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Old 11-01-2017, 9:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

None of that changes anything here. Argue semantics about rejections all you like, no one got their permit here. Some invested a lot of money for training, application fee's etc. as well and they got nothing.

Maybe in the purest of hearts a previous rejection would not hurt, but this is California run by emotional people that cannot be trusted to make an objective decision about anything relating to firearms.
Old 11-01-2017, 2:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
None of that changes anything here. Argue semantics about rejections all you like, no one got their permit here. Some invested a lot of money for training, application fee's etc. as well and they got nothing.

Maybe in the purest of hearts a previous rejection would not hurt, but this is California run by emotional people that cannot be trusted to make an objective decision about anything relating to firearms.
The bottom line is SDGOPAC knows what they're talking about. They've been in recent discussions with Sheriff Gore (himself).

Have you?

If you're too timid or can't afford to lose the time, money or effort involved with being a "test applicant", just admit it rather than try to undermine those who, like SDGOPAC, are actually doing something to try to improve CCW issuance in San Diego county.

As Teddy Roosevelt said so eloquently a century ago:
Quote:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
From: http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsorbonnespeech.html

Last edited by Paladin; 11-01-2017 at 6:43 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 10:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I was the one that saved his $ and didn't spend any of it on this futile exercise. Gore runs this county, I live in it. You do not. Come on down and check it out for yourself. Nothing has changed here no matter what Gore "says". He does not issue no matter what he says.

I've been around long enough to know you go by what someone does, not by what they say they will do. Results matter, not promises.