Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2018, 7:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Gun Safes stolen in Vista

600 pound safe stolen. This is why we bolt safes down. also why cameras are sh*t without an alarm system.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2018/05/22/t...h-county-home/
Old 05-23-2018, 9:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

And alarm systems are sh*t when the cops take 1/2 hour to respond. Fill the safe with crap and hide a 1911 in the cat litter, no one will look there.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:22 PM

my alarm is so loud, my neighbors 5 doors down will be coming by to see wtf is going on. 30 minute response time it the reason you don't buy a sh*t safe.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ugh, too close for comfort. They seem to know who has firearms and are prepared to take a heavy safe like that. It's disconcerting. I think it's time to ditch my calguns license plate cover unfortunately..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbox View Post
I think it's time to ditch my calguns license plate cover unfortunately..

I will never take off my San Diego county Gun Owners stickers or remove my Cal Guns license plate. I refuse to hide who i am. I dont live in fear because i am prepared.
Old 05-23-2018, 1:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford63man View Post
I will never take off my San Diego county Gun Owners stickers or remove my Cal Guns license plate. I refuse to hide who i am. I dont live in fear because i am prepared.
It's just advertising. I have no stickers.
Old 05-23-2018, 1:33 PM

A 600lb safe can be manhandled out of a garage easily enough, or cut apart in 5 minutes with an angle grinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IikKTLNs5XU

This is why an RSC-rated safe is not really the best choice if you can help it. Most RSC-rated safes can be found for $500 for a gun-show special up to $10,000 for a Graffunder... and while the Graffunder is definitely more secure than a Stack-on, it's still nothing compared to a true TL-30 rated safe of the same size that can be found used for $2000 and new for $5000.

A 5524-sized TL-30 will weigh ~2500lbs and be impossible to move without actual equipment. Bolting would just be gravy on that.

Hope they find the dirtbags that did this.
Old 05-23-2018, 1:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That's great

Old 05-23-2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
And alarm systems are sh*t when the cops take 1/2 hour to respond. Fill the safe with crap and hide a 1911 in the cat litter, no one will look there.
This I have to agree with. The last time we were burgled, it was in the day time. I worked in Fallbrook, lived in Vista a quarter mile from the Sheriff's station as the crow files.

Alarm company called me and tells me the has been multiple breaches at the house and the Sheriffs notified.

I had to finish with a client which took about 10 minutes, and then drove the 17.5 miles to the house. I could hear the horns two/three blocks away.

No sheriff, no neighbors (a working neighborhood), just me.

About forty minutes later a lone Sheriff's unit arrived.

Things happen that prevent timely responses so like health care be prepared for the unpredictable.

Respectfully
Kyle

WE are the NRA.

_________+__________
Old 05-23-2018, 2:40 PM

In addition to my alarm I added a private armed security company to my safety measures. They arrive within 3-5 min of a phone call from the alarm company, have their own alarm code and password in case the House has been broken into. They patroll 4-6 times a day are in the neighborhood 24/7 take in packages close gates and garages, check on unfamiliar vehicles, and will be waiting at your home in case you think someone is following you. Vacation checks include mail take in and daily video of them walking your property.
With overstretched law Enforcement, private security is the wave of the future.
Old 05-23-2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
600 pound safe stolen. This is why we bolt safes down. also why cameras are sh*t without an alarm system.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2018/05/22/t...h-county-home/
This is such a shame and it irritates me greatly to see criminals taking advantage of others. They had obviously cased the place ahead of time. Perhaps they followed people home from the range? Otherwise, how is it they managed to pick out two homes of gun-owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbox View Post
Ugh, too close for comfort. They seem to know who has firearms and are prepared to take a heavy safe like that. It's disconcerting. I think it's time to ditch my calguns license plate cover unfortunately..
I don't think that's an unreasonable idea. I understand another poster said that he wouldn't hide who he is and I respect that is his personal opinion. However, it has nothing to do with living in fear. Advertising "I have guns!" is a bit of a gamble when driving around in public. If you still wanted to show your 2A pride, I personally would lean towards having a Gadsden flag sticker on the back of the car.
Old 05-23-2018, 4:47 PM
Veteran Member

Get cameras that sent a txt to your phone when they see movement
Glock 23 with Buffalo Bore on the hip.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
In addition to my alarm I added a private armed security company to my safety measures. They arrive within 3-5 min of a phone call from the alarm company, have their own alarm code and password in case the House has been broken into. They patroll 4-6 times a day are in the neighborhood 24/7 take in packages close gates and garages, check on unfamiliar vehicles, and will be waiting at your home in case you think someone is following you. Vacation checks include mail take in and daily video of them walking your property.
I am interested in more information. Who is this, how much does it run?

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I have my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisDSA View Post
Get cameras that sent a txt to your phone when they see movement
What camera do you use? I tried NEST and some I get immediately once it sees motion, but there are times I don't receive it until 30 minutes later.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:50 PM

I have 8 cameras going (4 inside, 4 outside) and if I got an e-mail / text every time there is "motion" that would be problematic. It's bad enough reviewing the videos but I do get some fine blobs spinning spider webs outside

I'm not saying cameras are good or bad, just be aware.

Respectfully
Kyle

WE are the NRA.

_________+__________
Old 05-24-2018, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak28 View Post
What camera do you use? I tried NEST and some I get immediately once it sees motion, but there are times I don't receive it until 30 minutes later.

Mobotix cameras are really good and have a great software interface. easy to set up. If you are looking for a quality surveillance system.

https://www.mobotix.com/en/products/outdoor-cameras

Last edited by ford63man; 05-24-2018 at 2:20 PM.. Reason: add link
Old 05-24-2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Mobotix cameras are really good and have a great software interface. easy to set up. If you are looking for a quality surveillance system.

https://www.mobotix.com/en/products/outdoor-cameras
Thanks! I'll check it out!
Old 05-24-2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle1886 View Post
This I have to agree with. The last time we were burgled, it was in the day time. I worked in Fallbrook, lived in Vista a quarter mile from the Sheriff's station as the crow files.

Sadly the sheriff coverage in Vista is a joke and the city council knows this. we need our own PD ASAP. Now that there is a CHP hive next to the sheriff dept, nothing has changed, no extra patrols and terrible response times.
Old 05-24-2018, 7:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I respect your certitude.

I am a grey man. Nobody needs to know my business, particularly information that invites theft. I have a safe, an alarm, and about a five minute local Pd response time. Our neighbors watch out for each other. I advertise my alarm on every window and in signs around my yard.

I do not advertise WHY I have an alarm.

I do not invite scmumbags to break into my car because of any stickers or other invitations.

I too do not live in fear, because my preparations are different than yours are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-24-2018, 7:29 PM

One reason you don't have firearm affiliated stickers all over your car. You know, the one people park in their driveway when they're not home.
Old 05-24-2018, 7:32 PM

Just saw Ford 63 man's comment.

You do you. I won't argue with what you're capable of.

But I am not home 11+ hours of the day, and I sleep another 8.
so I slip a little more under the radar.
Old 05-24-2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
Sounds good. Also sounds expensive. If it works, you're only threat is an "inside job" from the security company paid to protect you.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:18 PM

I cringe when I see gun stickers all over a car. Some people just don't get it. I understand you like to piss off liberals, but this isn't high school. No on cares, grow up.

Bolt your safe down the right way. If this safe was bolted down properly they aren't leaving with it in 8 mins.

Don't own a dog that licks the bad guys (anyone notice that in the video?) Once inside they would have had to shoot my GSD before at least one guy is getting torn up.
Old 05-25-2018, 9:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Safes are the lure. If I had one I would leave it full of useless crap and store the guns in false walls, closets and of course, the cat litter box.

I'd use the safe as a decoy.
Old 05-31-2018, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak28 View Post
Look into “ring”..better yet ring flood camera. Probably the best bang for your buck. 1080p recording, 2-way audio, led flood light (can be programmed to be set off by motion or on a timer), also a manual alarm (not crazy loud but loud enough to attract attention from your neighbors). Recording only occurs when it senses motion, you can also set the sensitivity of the motion as well as motion zones. That pretty much sums it up but definitely look into ring and ring products.

** another awesome thing is finding footage, very easy to scroll through find an event.