Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Looking for some input.

A few years ago, I bought one of the Savage rifles with a heavy barrel in cal 308. I took it to the range and had a few failures to fire. The rifle went "click" with no discharge. I went for a 10 count then ejected the round and the primer wasn't even dented. There also seemed to be some sort of issue with the accutrigger but I could never get that sorted out. These issues were rare but occurred more than it being a random happenstance. The rifle was deadly accurate when it did shoot. To make a long story short, I sold the rifle.

I'm willing to give Savage another try but this time I'm looking for something in a sporter barrel. It has to be a Savage and it has to be in cal 308. I have other makes in my safe. I've also heard about Savage "builds" in various calibers and I might want to go down that road eventually.

I'm thinking Savage Trophy Hunter, Axis or Axis II.

Is there anybody with experience in this matter?

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 05-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Banned

Buy the best you can and if that's a Savage go with their higher end rifles.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

are you using surplus ammo ?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Banned

Savage 10 is all you want. The XP/Axis are cheapened and you miss a lot of really great features like the accutrigger.

If I were leading you in the path of true righteousness I'd probably point you at the hog hunter model. It's got a 20" barrel, decent stock, iron sights and a threaded muzzle. You should'a called Savage about your first one. They'd have fixed it for you or at minimum sent you a replacement part.
Old 05-04-2014, 2:02 PM

I had the same thing happen with my Savage 110 that had been in storage
for years. Carburetor spray cleaner followed by light gun oil did the trick.
Old 05-04-2014, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post
A few years ago, I bought one of the Savage rifles with a heavy barrel in cal 308. I took it to the range and had a few failures to fire. The rifle went "click" with no discharge. I went for a 10 count then ejected the round and the primer wasn't even dented. There also seemed to be some sort of issue with the accutrigger but I could never get that sorted out. These issues were rare but occurred more than it being a random happenstance. The rifle was deadly accurate when it did shoot. To make a long story short, I sold the rifle.

I'm willing to give Savage another try but this time I'm looking for something in a sporter barrel. It has to be a Savage and it has to be in cal 308. I have other makes in my safe. I've also heard about Savage "builds" in various calibers and I might want to go down that road eventually.

I've no experience with those three rifles but I do know that the Axis II comes with the AccuTrigger.

diverwcw, here's my friend's experience with a Savage chambered for the .308 Winchester:

My shootin' pal bought a new Savage 10FP.

It is chambered for the .308 Winchester, has a 24" bull barrel, an AccuTrigger, and came with a cheap plastic stock (not the AccuStock).

The day he took possession of the rifle he cleaned and scoped it and then took it out to his backyard shooting range. Right out of the box, the rifle was shooting high quality match ammo into groups slightly under 1/2" @ 100 yards.

He has since put a better stock on the rifle and worked up loads for it; the rifle is grouping @ ~ 3/8" @ 100 yards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by riftol; 05-04-2014 at 2:14 PM..
Old 05-04-2014, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post

I don't own a Savage but have a lot of friends that do and love them. I'd give them another shot and instead of selling it if you have problems, you might want a gunsmith to look at it to see what's causing the intermittent malfunctions. Good luck
Old 05-04-2014, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

I bought an Axis for my wife for Christmas. For the money, the gun can't be beat. I went into it knowing that it was going to need some TLC to make is bit better, but it shoots great.
Old 05-08-2014, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member

What you did, was fail to activate the Accutrigger properly.

That "click" you heard, was the sear falling off the trigger and not releasing the hammer...as designed...because the Accu-Release blocked it.

You MUST pull the Accu-release fully back, before the trigger moves, or the sear will be blocked every time. No hammer release, no firing pin indent in the primer.

I, uh, don't suppose you read the manual, first?
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 05-18-2014, 11:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
What you did, was fail to activate the Accutrigger properly.

That "click" you heard, was the sear falling off the trigger and not releasing the hammer...as designed...because the Accu-Release blocked it.

You MUST pull the Accu-release fully back, before the trigger moves, or the sear will be blocked every time. No hammer release, no firing pin indent in the primer.

I, uh, don't suppose you read the manual, first?
Manual? I don't need to skinking manual! LOL!

Very good feedback from everybody. Thank you. My purchase will be Trophy Hunter in cal .308. Just waiting for the right time. I've ordered a CA compliant M&P 9mm and I want to DROS them together to save a few $$$.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 05-18-2014, 4:47 PM
Banned

10 series for sure. None of the cheaper ones like axis. It gives you a better action to build off of.

Or a stevens 200 for that matter which is the same action without the accutrigger.

It also could be... the accutrigger was set too light.

This happened to me early on.... I adjusted the trigger pretty light... and the coil spring you turn to adjust pull worked its way loose. Too loose.... This made the trigger fail, and the accutrigger safety blade caught the sear.

After I tightened the adjustment spring, a small dab of loktite kept it from walking. Been fine for near 10 years now- I have the early original accutrigger 10 FP.
Old 05-22-2014, 5:51 AM
Calguns Addict

I am one of those that likes to save money and get the best i can for my money. i bought a MK 2 Savage FV heavy barrel 22lr and with a 60 dollar WM scope it will shoot 1 inch circles at 50 yards all day with value pack ammo.
My next Savage was a axis in 223. i do miss the accu-triger but it still is very accurate with a WM scope.
if i buy a 308 it will be a savage. the ruger american on the spec sheet is a lot of rifle for under 500 bucks but i have had very good luck with my savage rifles.