Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 11-18-2017, 12:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Question Help with first airsoft gun.

My brother is thinking of buying his 9 year old son an airsoft gun for Christmas so he can learn to shoot and handle a gun safely. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best first airsoft gun? They live overseas so don't recommend a real gun. Ain't possible. He asked me for advice and I have no experience whatsoever.

I think he was considering a rifle, but if there's a to-die-for pistol, he'd have no problem with that.

The possibilities are mind boggling when you have no experience. There's too many options ranging from $30 to $700. Then there's the whole spring vs gas vs electric to consider.

Where does one start?

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 11-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Go to an airsoft store. The employees can recommend quality pistols. I’ve been down this road

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2017, 8:01 PM

I sell airsoft guns at my shop valcan seem to be the best price and quality for the average beginner, as in any sport there is many other options out there. Check out there website you can see lots of choices.
Old 12-03-2017, 8:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Pm sent
Old 12-03-2017, 8:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Where does he live and what is legal in that country / city?

Airsoft GI has a ton of videos on you tube.

Educate yourself before you buy. They videos are good

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 12-03-2017, 8:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My brother got him an HK 416. Thanks for the replies.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-04-2017, 9:54 AM

I wrote a number of topics about getting into airsoft here: http://www.nycairsoft.com/forum/view...65ecfd760f98f8

Gas guns are fun but higher maintenance with o-rings, leaks and buying gas

Springer pistols are fun for plinking indoors but not useful for playing against other players unless they only have springers as well. Bolt-action/Springer sniper rifles on the other hand, can be useful in an organized airsoft games but requires some arm strength for higher end models. And unlike real bolt-action rifles, they are NOT more accurate or longer range than full-auto airsoft guns (without after-market modification).

For ease of use and cost, go with a battery operated AEG and buy a spare battery for them (some higher end guns do NOT come with battery. The included batteries with budget guns tend to be mediocre so most players upgrade to high capacity batteries early on).

Avoid buying any airsoft guns from big box stores like Walmart or Big 5. They're low end guns meant for backyard plinking. I would recommend buying from Evike.com and look into brands like G&G, CYMA and KWA.

Watch my gun and ammo product reviews Moondog Industries
and gadget reviews Moondog R&D |
NRA CRSO | NRA Life Member |
Coyote Point Rifle & Pistol Club Webmaster |
www.MoondogIndustries.com

Last edited by MoondogIndustries; 12-04-2017 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Grammer