Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 87 8.42%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 687 66.51%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 24 2.32%
I paid too much for my Membership! 46 4.45%
They will go out of business this year! 26 2.52%
Don't want anything to do with them! 163 15.78%
Voters: 1033. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2021, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

Vinnie
I second most of what beanz wrote. For me I prefer the hard elbow and knee pads as the gravel can be tough on your joins with soft pads.

For me I spray down my bcg and run a bore snake through the barrel a couple of times. Keeps it running good.
The one thing you could do for having all the cool kid parts on your rifle is break it down by the two pins. Then it is not considered an assault rifle by California, then you can install the parts and transport separately. That way you don’t ha e to be concerned with violating the law.
As I shoot most of my ARs out of state that is the condition they live in. And lastly do yourself a favor as you are a bit brighter than some of the California folks that attend. When they ask who here is from California, don’t raise your hand. 😂 Seems too many idiots just get ridden the rest of the class. I have seen this question asked in the rifle classes but not the handgun. They just don’t appreciate all the wonderful gimpy grips we have! Have fun.
Old 09-23-2021, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Vinnie
# 3 is what I am speaking about with respect to breaking down your rifle.

hh) “Semiautomatic” means a firearm functionally able to fire a single cartridge, eject the
*empty case, and reload the chamber each time the trigger is pulled and released. Further,
*certain necessary mechanical parts that will allow a firearm to function in a semiautomatic
*nature must be present for a weapon to be deemed semiautomatic. A weapon clearly
*designed to be semiautomatic but lacking a firing pin, bolt carrier, gas tube, or some other
*crucial part of the firearm is not semiautomatic for purposes of Penal Code sections 30515,
*30600, 30605(a), and 30900.
*(1) A mechanically whole semiautomatic firearm merely lacking ammunition and a
*proper magazine is a semiautomatic firearm.
(2) A mechanically whole semiautomatic firearm disabled by a gun lock or other
firearm safety device is a semiautomatic firearm. (All necessary parts are present, once
the gun lock or firearm safety device is removed, and weapon can be loaded with a
magazine and proper ammunition.)
(3) With regards to an AR-15 style firearm, if a complete upper receiver and a complete
lower receiver are completely detached from one another, but still in the possession or
under the custody or control of the same person, the firearm is not a semiautomatic
firearm.
*(4) A stripped AR-15 lower receiver, when sold at a California gun store, is not
*a semiautomatic firearm. (The action type, among other things, is undetermined.)
Old 09-23-2021, 4:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ill disagree with the Don't tell them you are from CA... If they tease me, Ill stand next to them next relay.. we can compare CA to non CA groups in a fun way....
I'll also educate them on the Roberti Roos bill that was copied and pasted into the Clinton AWB.

and How they need to donate to GOA and GCF - stop cancer here

you can also meet some training partners...

a lot of nor cal people in the classes too

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)

Last edited by hermosabeach; 09-23-2021 at 4:15 PM..
Old 09-23-2021, 4:30 PM

Thanks for all the additional tips and advice.

I got my system dialed in for the handgun classes, but a bit nervous about the rifle classes. Feel like a newb all over again.
Old 09-23-2021, 4:48 PM

Thanks for all the additional tips and advice.

I got my system dialed in for the handgun classes, but a bit nervous about the rifle classes. Feel like a newb all over again.
Old 09-23-2021, 6:51 PM

I’m planning on taking the 4 day handgun course at some point in the future. I have a stock G30SF I plan to use. I am a quite good bulls eye shooter (always receive compliments from the range instructor when I do my CCW quals) but I am an untrained shooter, especially with respect to draw from a holster, presentation, grip, controlled pairs, time constraints, etc. which is what the training is really for. If I am going to make a modification to my G30 prior to the course, would I be better off upgrading the trigger where I will choose the Johnny Glocks combat trigger, or upgrading the sights were I would choose the Holosun 507c. I’m not really looking here for a debate on one trigger vs another or one sight vs another, rather an understanding of which upgrade will improve my training experience and shooting more in a stressful situation.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 09-23-2021, 7:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
I’m planning on taking the 4 day handgun course at some point in the future. I have a stock G30SF I plan to use. I am a quite good bulls eye shooter (always receive compliments from the range instructor when I do my CCW quals) but I am an untrained shooter, especially with respect to draw from a holster, presentation, grip, controlled pairs, time constraints, etc. which is what the training is really for. If I am going to make a modification to my G30 prior to the course, would I be better off upgrading the trigger where I will choose the Johnny Glocks combat trigger, or upgrading the sights were I would choose the Holosun 507c. I’m not really looking here for a debate on one trigger vs another or one sight vs another, rather an understanding of which upgrade will improve my training experience and shooting more in a stressful situation.
If it is your first class - I would recommend using a full-size rather than a sub-compact.

In terms of sights - if you have difficulty getting a clear front sight focus - upgrade to a Red Dot. But if this is your first Red Dot - there is a learning curve. As such, if you have no eyesight problems stick with irons.

Upgraded trigger? Ditch them. Stock is more than sufficient for the 4DDHG. That said - there is a 4-lbs restriction of the trigger pull weight (they DO check).

Enjoy!

_
Old 09-23-2021, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Major, if you have a stock Glock that you are comfortable shooting then you are Good to Go for the 4 Day Defensive Handgun class. Modifications will not "improve your training experience". Once you take the class, then you can better understand what you like (or don't like) about your setup - and go from there. Trigger modifications, etc are often an attempt at a hardware "fix" for a training problem. Red Dot sights are an outstanding addition, but it is still best to "master" your iron sights first....
Old 09-23-2021, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Ill disagree with the Don't tell them you are from CA... If they tease me, Ill stand next to them next relay.. we can compare CA to non CA groups in a fun way....
I'll also educate them on the Roberti Roos bill that was copied and pasted into the Clinton AWB.

and How they need to donate to GOA and GCF - stop cancer here

you can also meet some training partners...

a lot of nor cal people in the classes too
Some go to preach, others go to shoot. They know we are the cancer as in the whole west coast.

Last edited by damon1272; 09-23-2021 at 7:26 PM..
Old 09-23-2021, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
If it is your first class - I would recommend using a full-size rather than a sub-compact.

In terms of sights - if you have difficulty getting a clear front sight focus - upgrade to a Red Dot. But if this is your first Red Dot - there is a learning curve. As such, if you have no eyesight problems stick with irons.

Upgraded trigger? Ditch them. Stock is more than sufficient for the 4DDHG. That said - there is a 4-lbs restriction of the trigger pull weight (they DO check).

Enjoy!

_
Agree that a full size may be more comfortable to shoot for 4 days, and that a sub-compact would be harder on you for 4 days. I believe the G30 SF is a compact, not sub-compact and that "Major" is very comfortable shooting it...
Old 09-23-2021, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_G22 View Post
Agree that a full size may be more comfortable to shoot for 4 days
Yup! If it is his first time with the 4DDHG - definitely recommend going full-sized. Also having the need to work through the clearances.

He can transition to this 30SF from the 2nd class onwards.

Quote:
I believe the G30 SF is a compact, not sub-compact and that "Major" is very comfortable shooting it...
I did check first with Glock before posting: https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g30-sf (classified as “sub-compact”)

That said - if “Major” is comfortable shooting major (pun) - all power!!!

_
Old 09-23-2021, 7:56 PM

Quote:

Enjoy!

_
You raise an interesting question about full size vs subcompact. My purpose in the course is not scores or DG status, it is to improve my ability to defend myself in case I ever need to in a CCW situation. It seems to me that I am best pursuing that goal by training with the type of gun I will actually be carrying, no? If I really have this wrong, help me understand.

I do have difficulty with front sight focus and the particular RDS I am choosing has an oversize ring making it easy to find the chevron if initially misaligned, so I think the best choice for RDS beginners. I am aware there is a learning curve, but I'm so untrained for this type of shooting there will be a learning curve with irons too. That's the purpose of the training, to climb the learning curve. So does it not make sense to spend my precious training time and money climbing the curve I need to save my life rather than a different one?

Old 09-23-2021, 8:03 PM

And to others, yes, I am very comfortable shooting my 30SF even with +p ammo and even stock, I shoot it as well or better than my g17, 1911, or anything else I own. For some reason, I find I'm just not recoil sensitive. The only comfort issue with the G30 is if I use the 9 round mag, my pinky gets pinched between the mag and the front strap. With the 10 rounder, no problem

Old 09-23-2021, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You raise an interesting question about full size vs subcompact. My purpose in the course is not scores or DG status, it is to improve my ability to defend myself in case I ever need to in a CCW situation. It seems to me that I am best pursuing that goal by training with the type of gun I will actually be carrying, no? If I really have this wrong, help me understand.
Since it will be your first time - you are going to be introduced to new techniques. As you correctly pointed out - drawing from a holster (open and concealed), reloads, pairs, and even malfunction clearances. Based on experience - it is best to learn this without your body compensating for the nuances of a sub-compact. Instead of “seamless” learning - you would be fighting your gear…

Ah, never said anything about the test nor getting a DG. Simply going back to your question on “training experience,” “ability to defend myself,” etc. The keyword here is learning. There is always a first step for everything - full-size or maybe a size smaller (compact).

Also, I did say - you could transition to your 30SF from your second time with the 4DDHG or the 2DSB.

Quote:
I do have difficulty with front sight focus and the particular RDS I am choosing has an oversize ring making it easy to find the chevron if initially misaligned, so I think the best choice for RDS beginners.
Then by all means - take a red dot…

In the end - these are just recommendations based on our experiences/observations. @LV_G22 has been to Front Sight for years, hours and hours of classes - even passing the challenging HCM test multiple times. It would be good to take his input into consideration.

PS: Before actually going to FS - you can get a “taste” of the class with their $1 online course.

_
Old 09-23-2021, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Wow typed up a response and it disappeared. Agree with LV and Rodaling. The reason for a full size is it is easier to manipulate and perform the drills. Get the skills down and then practice with the smaller hard slide to rack. Your going to have to learn malfunctions.

Personally would not mess with the sights if you can get by with irons. I wouldn’t mess with the trigger as it will get flagged at inspection. You can run a minus trigger to lower the pull by a pound.

The only mod I would recommend is to undercut the trigger guard to avoid the Glock finger.

I’ll be Heading out for another 4 day handgun course Nov 5.
Old 09-24-2021, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Since it will be your first time - you are going to be introduced to new techniques. As you correctly pointed out - drawing from a holster (open and concealed), reloads, pairs, and even malfunction clearances. Based on experience - it is best to learn this without your body compensating for the nuances of a sub-compact. Instead of “seamless” learning - you would be fighting your gear…

Ah, never said anything about the test nor getting a DG. Simply going back to your question on “training experience,” “ability to defend myself,” etc. The keyword here is learning. There is always a first step for everything - full-size or maybe a size smaller (compact).
Well I said "help me understand" and you did just that. I can understand that reasoning now, thanks.

With respect to other comments/issues, my goal with the trigger is not so much for lightening, I plan to have it set for 4.5-5 lbs, but for minimal pre-travel, crisp break and crisp reset.

I guess another reason for me wanting to use the G30 over the G17 is that I already have a first class CCW holster for that and not for the G17 and any costly improvements/accessories I'm going to make such as RDS or undercut trigger guard are going to the G30. I consider my Gen2 G17 a dead end that does not warrant further upgrades and accessories.

Old 09-24-2021, 4:04 AM
Veteran Member

Which ever way you go as far as the pistol I would recommend you call them to see if they will allow the trigger you are wanting to use. I am fairly certain they only allow agency arms triggers. I would hate for you to be turned away before class starts or to have to purchase a trigger from them. Kind of pisses you off before the class starts. Had this happen on a rifle class.
Old 09-24-2021, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I do have difficulty with front sight focus and the particular RDS I am choosing has an oversize ring making it easy to find the chevron if initially misaligned, so I think the best choice for RDS beginners. I am aware there is a learning curve, but I'm so untrained for this type of shooting there will be a learning curve with irons too. That's the purpose of the training, to climb the learning curve. So does it not make sense to spend my precious training time and money climbing the curve I need to save my life rather than a different one?
If you do change over to a red dot make sure you have your presentation dialed and know how to use it efficiently before heading to class. There's a bit of a learning curve with red dots and I wouldn't want to be the person trying to figure it out for the first time in class while also being bombarded with all the information they throw at you. Since you already shoot that gun accurately with iron sights, you may become VERY frustrated using a red dot for the first time. You could become more fixated and frustrated on that red dot and less focused on what you're supposed to be learning in the class.

I personally wouldn't change anything on the firearm until AFTER you put it through it's paces in the 4-day class. You may discover that you don't need to change anything on the firearm and can run it efficiently and effectively as is, or you may discover things you may want to change or improve, or may discover that you hate that firearm and want something new altogether. But I wouldn't blindly go changing things on it right before the class, especially after you've already mentioned that you shoot the firearm accurately in it's current condition. Why go and potentially screw up something that already works for you? Since you've already mentioned that your main goal isn't to DG, why focus on things like triggers and red dots?

For me personally, running a full size in that class allowed me to focus more on what was being taught, which meant I remembered and retained more instead or wrestling and fighting with the firearm because of it's size, and I had no problem translating those skills and techniques to other, smaller firearms once I got home, like my S&W Shield (micro-compact). Once I got the fundamentals/basics dialed in on a full-size firearm, Type 3 malfunction clearances on the Shield were a piece of cake. So just based on that, I would suggest brining a firearm that would offer the least distractions and allow for the most enjoyable experience your first time.

I was recently at FS a few weeks ago with a buddy of mine. He had a Johnny Glock Combat Trigger in his G19. Thing broke right at 4lbs. He got flagged at weapons inspection and had to have the armor inspect it. It passed and they all commented on how nice that trigger was. Even one of the Range Masters commented on how nice that trigger was. I think with all the options and upgrades my buddy spent darn close to $300 for that trigger. On day 3 he began having an issue with the trigger where it wasn't resetting properly. A super easy fix and small adjustment of an over-travel screw or something and he was back in business. I was running a G17 and all I had done to it was drop in a $20 Glock minus connector. I shot DG on the test and came in 2nd place in the man on man steel shoot. He shot Graduate on the test and was knocked out in the second round of the man on man steel shoot. I've only been into firearms for a year and a half. he's been shooting guns all his life and is former LEO. My point is, you're fooling yourself if you think adding a red dot or an expensive trigger will correct or makeup for any shortcomings or a lack of training or not practicing.
Old 09-24-2021, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Which ever way you go as far as the pistol I would recommend you call them to see if they will allow the trigger you are wanting to use. I am fairly certain they only allow agency arms triggers. I would hate for you to be turned away before class starts or to have to purchase a trigger from them. Kind of pisses you off before the class starts. Had this happen on a rifle class.
The only aftermarket Glock triggers they will not allow are Pyramid triggers. They will allow other aftermarket Glock triggers, but it has to pass weapons inspection. Trigger pull weight needs to be no less than 4lbs. My buddy's G19 with a Johnny Glock Combat Trigger passed with a trigger pull of exactly 4lbs.

It's clearly stated on their website what they allow and what's not allowed, and you can always call them up beforehand if there's a concern.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 09-24-2021 at 6:01 AM..
Old 09-24-2021, 10:16 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

It is easy to spot the CA shooters.
They will bring their firearm to and from the range in a locked container.
Their ammo will usually also be in a locked container, separate from their firearms.
10 round mags.
Let's not get started on the AR/AK rifle configurations...
Did I miss anything else?