Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-20-2012, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Sigh..... chemical agent this Monday

Sigh.... my class have a chemical agent this upcoming Monday. Time to feel some pain and give back some of that love to punching bag afterwards
I am planning to take a towel and milk..

Any advice or trick when it comes to OC spray LEO members?

Funny because we have our first class picture that day as well lol..
Old 10-20-2012, 8:30 AM
Jonathan Doe

Just enjoy it. Laugh at people who pass out. You've been through USMC gas house...
Old 10-20-2012, 8:35 AM

I did my chemical agent training 6 weeks ago. It was a blast! No, it sucks. You just have to deal with it. We did CS first and then CN 40 minutes later. We broke for lunch and then did OC. OC is pretty bad stuff. It will feel like someone is putting your face on a burner.
My advice is to bring baby shampoo and a hand held fan! Seriously!!!

CS gas is pretty bad too. It will feel like hot burning gas. It cuts off your ability to breathe. Scary stuff.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-20-2012, 8:45 AM

Clean off the OC on your face and hair first with water; then pray to God that there is a strong wind to take away the burning effects.
Old 10-20-2012, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

To me, OC is worse than CN/CS.

Good advice on the fan!

Take it like a man. Don't run around going "argh" and flexing....it just makes you look weak.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Close your eyes and clean your entire head with Go-Jo or Fast Orange. It removes the oil that lingers on the skin. You might rub your forehead and face raw, but it's better than taking a shower two days later and continuing to feel the effects. Besides, when everyone is still burning, you'll be nice and cool.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:13 AM

OC is straight from the pit of Hell. A creation of Satan. We got PT'd just before entering the chamber and it was rough. Our class was so good that we got a combo of OC/CS & CN all at once.

Oh and milk, doesnt work. Just water and air. HAVE FUN!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 AM

The lighter your skin complexion, the worse it will be for you from what I've seen. Also....this is VERY important. Before you shower after your OC exposure, be sure to wash it off of your face COMPLETELY!!! Otherwise, plan on setting your junk and *** crack on fire for an hour or two.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:35 AM

What I tell recruits: if you have never been OC'ed before, imagine getting napalmed in the face and feeling your flesh melt off your skull. It won't be That bad but expect it to be. Focus the pain and get mad; take that pain and direct it at the bad guy (while staying in control) - handle whatever they throw at your for your course of fire and then deal with the pain/discomfort afterwards. Do NOT turn away, stop fighting, give up, etc. If you can say, "I can't breathe", you Can breathe. Focus. Breathe. Keep fighting.

If they allow you to shower up after, I would recommend Johnson & Johnson no tears baby shampoo. Just put that stuff straight into your eyes and flush out, repeat as necessary. Maybe something stronger like Lever 2000 for less sensitive areas of your anatomy. Sturdy plastic bag for your wet/contaminated clothes.

Last edited by Samuelx; 10-20-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Old 10-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisOwnHero View Post
The lighter your skin complexion, the worse it will be for you from what I've seen. Also....this is VERY important. Before you shower after your OC exposure, be sure to wash it off of your face COMPLETELY!!! Otherwise, plan on setting your junk and *** crack on fire for an hour or two.
Thank you for your tip sir. Last thing I want is my junk to be on fire
Old 10-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

yeah, I remember OC.....101 degrees, 90% humidity in the wonderful Pensacola sun. If I could have crawled in that damn bucket of water, I would have. But, it was OK.

The point of the exercise is twofold: 1, to expose you to the agent so that when (note, I didnt say if) you get exposed in the field, you know how it feels/what it does.

2, it proves to you/you prove to yourself, that you can keep fighting through it, that you wont die from it.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Remain calm. The effects of OC will go away on its own over time.

Every minute you endure the effects is another minute closer to decon. Your mind has the ability to focus on whatever it wants to. If you choose to focus on how much the OC is uncomfortable, then you will get it's full effect.

You are not injured. The level of discomfort may tell your body that you are injured. This causes some people who are exposed to panic.

Breathe. Some people who are exposed to OC may hypervenilate causing additional problems.

Focus your mind on whatever task you must perform. Depending on the training course, you may be required to perform a task or complete an activity. Remain focused and complete it. Focus on the task, and you may not feel the effects as much.

During decon, ensure that you have enough water. A small amount of water will just spread the OC around. You need to be under a shower for a prolonged period of time. During decon, consider where the OC is being flushed. I recommend that you do not stand directly under the water as the water may flow down onto the rest of your body.

Your instructors have endured the exposure. Other recruits have endured the exposure. You can endure the exposure.

www.TASKenforcement.org
Old 10-20-2012, 12:27 PM

We have it in two weeks and im not looking forward at all. Thank you bojack for this thread i found a lot of great advice on here. One thing i heard was to wear earplugs so it dont get down into your ears. I dont know if your dept will let you or not.
Old 10-20-2012, 4:36 PM

BTW: wash your uniform or ptthe gear seperately from your other clothes.
Old 10-20-2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
Sigh.... my class have a chemical agent this upcoming Monday. Time to feel some pain and give back some of that love to punching bag afterwards
I am planning to take a towel and milk..

Any advice or trick when it comes to OC spray LEO members?

Funny because we have our first class picture that day as well lol..
No tricks......they will make sure of that. Just suck it up and go for it. If you want to impress them, ask for permission to do it a 2nd time. Their reaction should be priceless. By the time I was done, I had mucus streaming from my nose, down to my knees. That was a lot of fun.

There was no OC spray when i was in the academy, but we did use the gas house.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 PM

The best comparison I can remember is that of someone trying to stomp out a fire on your face with some golf cleats.

Lean forward in the shower when decon time comes.
Old 10-22-2012, 9:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just did CS and OC this weekend. Not fun, but I was able to focus through the pain and do what I needed to do. Invaluable training that teaches you more about yourself than anything. As for the OC, unless you're given a steady supply of water (hose, sink, etc.), you decon faster if you just cowboy up and face the wind.
Old 10-22-2012, 2:25 PM

Most of the info is right on the money.

1. If you are at BCTC you will most likely jog down to the gas house. When you get exposed you will feel like you are suffocating the moment the gas gets into your lungs. It will feel like you can't breathe any air in no matter how hard you try. This is when people panic. Just hang tight and know that people can sit in this stuff for hours. Soon as you get outside you will take a few breaths and the hard part it over. Your face will burn a little and you will ooze some amazing mucus!

2. Then you will job back to the grinder where they will expose you to some inert pepper spray which will open up those pores Then you get the joy of OC spray. Imagine a friend taking a handful of the finest grain sand and mashing it into your eyes. That's the initial feeling. Then like others said, it literally feels like the skin will be melting off of your face. Go through your exercises.

With OC TRUST ME, decon with baby shampoo to get it off your face and eyes......then MAN UP and don't put any more water or anything on your face. Try to get the breeze to hit you and in about an hour the pain will fade!

ENJOY it was great times!!
Old 10-22-2012, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Just finished my chemical agent today and wow..
I am so glad it's over now.. fun time, fun time...
Never want to get spray by OC
Old 10-22-2012, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Wait for the shower in a couple of days, you will find it is still there.

Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.
Old 10-22-2012, 7:13 PM
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
It is worse when it is hot out. The sweat keeps it activated much longer. When I went through it, it was about 100 out in (it was June or July in San Bernardino). CN first, then CS a few minutes later, and then OC. Sweating combined with wide open pores due to heat... Fun! lol
Old 10-23-2012, 2:10 AM

Great thread! Brings memories of reciting "General Orders" in the chamber of CS gas. Police training must be more intense though considering the application of CS, CN and the biggie OC.

If OC is similar to hot peppers, maybe those who are used to eating spicy food have a little mental immunity to it's effects?

Very little is more likely.

Last edited by kimber_ss; 10-23-2012 at 2:30 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 2:09 AM

It's not bad, just stay calm and force yourself to breathe normally. Shower with your boxers on and lean forward to keep the water running off your face from your junk. Don't touch yourself when you take your next couple leaks....I didn't think my hands were contaminated and ended up with some.....discomfort.

It's almost as much fun as being tazed....well, the part where you're watching your buddies at least.
Old 10-25-2012, 7:49 AM

Received OC training in the academy, and I learned a day after the exposure that I should not have gone through it due to having Lasik. Basically I could only see an orange haze for about 36 hours. Luckily there wasn't any permanent damage.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 AM

I threw all my clothes, shoes away after OC/CS gas day! Didn't want to bring it home.... Breathe... and hope that theres a good breeze or fan your face to help with the pain...

You'll get through it!
Old 10-25-2012, 4:37 PM

Not a LEO but

GAS! GAS! GAS!

Happy Early 237th B-Day to all my brothers, Semper Fi!

“Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.” — Lt. Gen. “Chesty” Puller

“A ship without Marines is no ship of war at all.” — Adm.David Dixon Porter, U.S. Navy, 1864
Old 10-25-2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
What I want to know is......

Did you man up and ask to go a second time?

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 10-26-2012, 4:19 AM

Ah yes, chemical day. We had cn, then cs, then the cn/cs combo. Lunch time them oc. Ive been oc'd twice now (once when non sworn, once in academy). Baby shampoo helps get the stuff off and made the effects not last as long the second time. I used little water, and lots of baby shampoo and towels. The water feels good, but ony when you are under the stream. Use lots of shampoo, and bring a bottle for friends, helps with your popuarity too.

Just focus on what task they give you, and focus on your breathing and dont panic. It will go away... Then it will reactivate in the shower. Lean forward to keep it off your ower parts and stay under the stream as long as possible. Then hang your head out the window on the way home.

oh and go first or early on. Seeing all the other people suffer adds to the mental anguish waiting for your turn.
Old 10-26-2012, 7:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed24-7 View Post
What I want to know is......

Did you man up and ask to go a second time?
My classmates gave me a title "Beast" in the academy.. They all say I am the most craziest person in the academy.

I did man up sir, and I told my TACT Staff, "I am always ready for more sir lol.":43

But deep inside, I was crying like a little girl.
Old 10-26-2012, 4:58 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

When I went thru the academy, OC wasn't yet invented or at least; not used by my dept. We had either CS or CN (too long ago, I'm old and can't recall) We went thru the gas house and that was about it.

While working the jail tho, I had the joyful experience of having one of those gases sprayed in my face from about 1 1/2' away by another deputy. An inmate took off and we finally got him against the wall, tho he was struggling. The other deputy decided to spray him in the face without letting me know. Unfortunately for me, he moved his head back at the right time and I got it full face. It wasn't pleasant.

As far as OC goes, when the dept. was getting ready to issue it to us, we had to go thru training first. Now, I've never understood why they did what they did, but I am very thankful that they did it. They had us line up facing each other with our top button of our uniform shirts buttoned and the collar up. We each had a can of OC spray. We were approximately 2' from each other. First, one side sprayed the other side in the face and then the other side had their turn.

There was absolutely no pain or discomfort because the containers had water in them!! NO OC! I am glad I was in the early training classes of OC training.

When I returned to the jail years later as a sgt., I was able to enjoy the effects of OC, tho not directly sprayed in my face.
Old 10-29-2012, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <IXOYE>< View Post
Our class was so good that we got a combo of OC/CS & CN all at once.
LOL...our class did too, but a few hours apart. We got OC'ed at the academy, then deconed for an hour. After that, we drove to MCAS El Toro (back when it was still a commissioned base) for the gas house. Fun day...

The gas house wasn't as bad as the OC. There was some slight burning sensation, and it me, it felt like a severe chest cold with lots and lots of snot. The OC was a constant burning.
Old 10-29-2012, 6:17 PM

I took mine in Tucson AZ at a temp of about 110F. I remember not being able to open my eyes even though I was trying to with my fingers. Snot hanging from my nostrils all the way to the ground and the uncontrollable need to puke and gag! My neck, arm pits and groin seemed to burn for hours after my shower . Looking back, It was fun!
Old 10-29-2012, 7:11 PM

Stay calm and know that it can't kill ya. The pain is nothing. The feeling of suffocation sucks pretty bad.
Old 10-29-2012, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
Stay calm and know that it can't kill ya. The pain is nothing. The feeling of suffocation sucks pretty bad.
this is actually great advise.
Old 10-29-2012, 9:06 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

friedokra, you OC'd, then drove an hour later? When and what kind of OC was it? The crap we're issued now, well over 3/4 of the class was entirely unsafe to drive after an hour. I've been sprayed a few times, and the stuff that we use now is ridiculously fun.
Old 10-30-2012, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
friedokra, you OC'd, then drove an hour later? When and what kind of OC was it? The crap we're issued now, well over 3/4 of the class was entirely unsafe to drive after an hour. I've been sprayed a few times, and the stuff that we use now is ridiculously fun.
I don't even remember. Probably that First Defense stuff, not the thumb trigger kind, but they used the can with the external handle that was sized like bug spray on us...lol. They did give us a little water, we stood downwind, and a few of us had a chance to use the neutralizing liquid. It looks like a bottle of OC, but it's labeled green. Except for eye irritation, we were good to go to drive to the gas house an hour later.