Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 PM

Default CCW Weapon

Alrighty, Gents. Fingers crossed for the 9th Circus ruling coming soon and how that will affect my ability to get a carry permit here in Merced County, I've started looking into what weapon I want to get as my carry weapon. I currently own a Springfield XD Tactical (5" barrel), and I love it, but obviously it's much too large for CCW. I've handled and shot a few Glocks, don't care for them. My current CCW choices (pending a try-out) are Springfield XD sub-compact 3", or a Beretta PX-4 Storm. Either will be in a .40 S&W. I currently own a .40 S&W handgun, and I plan to stay consistent for two reasons: less ammo to keep track of, and easier to pack a BOB (bug-out bag).

Thoughts, opinions, musings or feedback?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-Mark Twain
"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."-Lord Acton
Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

I have an XD40 Service Model and just DROSed an XD40 SC. I'm familiar with the takedown, workings, operation and feel of the XD and figured it best to stick with something I'm familiar with. I too don't care for the Glocks, but like how the XD's feel. I might actually like the subcompact better than the service model.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 PM

That's quite a bit of my consideration as well...I'm familiar with my XD, love the way it feels in my hand, love the way it shoots. Seems prudent to stick with what I know, but I kinda like the looks of the Beretta too. Not wild about that hammer though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Springfield XD SC.jpg (16.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg PX4-Storm.jpg (9.5 KB, 88 views)
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-Mark Twain
Old 12-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Banned

Tagged
Old 12-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member

Have you held an XD subcompact yet?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 AM

No, not yet. I plan to go to a range that has both for rent and try them both out if they have them in .40 S&W, or whichever one they have if they only have 1 of them. I have to admit some bias toward the XD sc just because of owning an XD already though.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Once you hold the subcompact, be sure and let me know what you think! I think you are going to like it, a lot, especially if you like the full-size XD you already have.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 AM

Roger, WILCO
Old 12-16-2012, 2:14 AM

I just picked up a XDs recently and love it. Gun ran 200 rounds of ball and 40 rounds of +p hp's like a champ: no hiccups. Carries just as easily as a J-Frame but with more firepower and is easier to reload (the shortened ejection rod makes it harder on my J-Frame). Between my 3 subcompact guns (J-Frame, Glock 26, XDs), the XDs is the best balance of concealability/shootability/firepower IMO.
Old 12-16-2012, 6:49 AM

I have the XD .40 in Sub Compact in it fits pretty good in my meaty paws. It's nice to shoot too. I haven't tried concealed carry with it yet.
Old 12-16-2012, 7:06 AM

The crucial aspect of carrying a concealed weapon starts with "carrying concealed." This becomes a pain in the neck very quickly, but neither element ever loses its importance. You must be carrying the thing, and it must be concealed, and it should not be pissing you off too much.

Every day concealed carry to me means a single stack magazine with a short barrel and grip, or a J-frame. In many years of concealed carry I never found a higher capacity pistol that concealed easily or carried comfortably. If it doesn't conceal and carry right, it is not going to be satisfactory for you, no matter how smooth or light that trigger pull is, no matter how well it handles on the range.

I gravitated toward the Holy Grail of Everyday Concealed Carry Pistols for Personal Defense: the SIG Model 239 in .40 S&W. For me, this is the perfect compromise of size and capacity, with outstanding reliability and handling characteristics. The trigger is one of the smoother and most consistent DA/SA triggers I've found on a modern autopistol. A safe, appropriate DA pull for a self defense pistol, especially important for a non-professional. I had to have two, in case anything happened to the first one. This is a creamy gun. Creamy.

After I retired, my dress relaxed. A lot. I now find myself carrying S&W J-frame Centennial Models, the Princes of Pocket Carry Handguns. I just don't wear enough clothes to conceal the Model 239's anymore. The S&W Model 340 PD or Model 642 don't have the authority or elegant handling properties of the SIG Model 239, but I am never tempted to leave them behind when I go out, and that is, for me, the most important characteristic of an everyday concealed carry gun.
Old 12-16-2012, 7:19 AM

So the XDs is on the CA approved list?
Old 12-16-2012, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khromo View Post
The crucial aspect of carrying a concealed weapon starts with "carrying concealed." This becomes a pain in the neck very quickly, but neither element ever loses its importance. You must be carrying the thing, and it must be concealed, and it should not be pissing you off too much.

Every day concealed carry to me means a single stack magazine with a short barrel and grip, or a J-frame. In many years of concealed carry I never found a higher capacity pistol that concealed easily or carried comfortably. If it doesn't conceal and carry right, it is not going to be satisfactory for you, no matter how smooth or light that trigger pull is, no matter how well it handles on the range.

I gravitated toward the Holy Grail of Everyday Concealed Carry Pistols for Personal Defense: the SIG Model 239 in .40 S&W. For me, this is the perfect compromise of size and capacity, with outstanding reliability and handling characteristics. The trigger is one of the smoother and most consistent DA/SA triggers I've found on a modern autopistol. A safe, appropriate DA pull for a self defense pistol, especially important for a non-professional. I had to have two, in case anything happened to the first one. This is a creamy gun. Creamy.

After I retired, my dress relaxed. A lot. I now find myself carrying S&W J-frame Centennial Models, the Princes of Pocket Carry Handguns. I just don't wear enough clothes to conceal the Model 239's anymore. The S&W Model 340 PD or Model 642 don't have the authority or elegant handling properties of the SIG Model 239, but I am never tempted to leave them behind when I go out, and that is, for me, the most important characteristic of an everyday concealed carry gun.
^^^^^^ Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner!

My thoughts exactly. I too have a 239 and love the gun but don't carry it because it's too big for my usual jeans and T shirt dress. For me EDC has to be < 1" wide. If whatever gun you choose is not comfortable or concealable you're not going to like carrying it. Before you choose a carry gun(s) it's important to consider how you normally dress. If you wear a parka 365 days a year then by all means get a Desert Eagle!
Old 12-16-2012, 7:38 AM

Yea, X231, your less-than-1" thick is like one of the Ten Commandments of Concealed Carry. The thickness of the weapon, and to some extent the "blockiness" of the shape, matters as much as the more obvious elements of the size. The thickness and the length of the grip are probably the two toughest areas to conceal.

I knew guys who carried 1911's with full length barrels and short grips, and did okay with it. The slender, thin slides concealed okay as long as there wasn't a long grip sticking out somewhere it shouldn't. The weight got to most of them, eventually.
Old 12-16-2012, 7:49 AM

Standard attire for me is baggy cargo shorts and t-shirts April-September/October, and jeans and t-shirt or short-sleeved, untucked button down October/November-March.
Old 12-16-2012, 8:10 AM

If you're already familiar with the XD chassis; I see no reason to change that.
Old 12-16-2012, 8:34 AM

The t-shirt doesn't help. Unless you are standing straight upright, with a baggy t and no breeze, anything carried around your waist will print an obvious sgnature. Even carried inside the waist band, and that will present comfort and corrosion issues.

The baggy shorts should work, with a pocket holster and a small enough gun. The pocket holster breaks up the outline of the gun and keeps it in the right orientation so you can present it efficiently.

I dress pretty much the same as you these days, except I wear the shorts until I start to shiver. How does your girlfriend like your fashion sense? I don't think my wife is too thrilled about Mr.-Shorts-And-T-Shirt-Ten-Months-A-Year.

Ankle and pocket were the best compromises for me. I actually carried the SIG 239 on my ankle for years. It created a big dent and lump on my ankle, and might have contributed to a back problem by keeping me off balance all the time.

Carrying concealed requires a big commitment, and it extends to when you buy your clothes, and every time you dress yourself!
Old 12-16-2012, 8:50 AM

No girlfriend, no wife, no significant other. It sucks being single...all I ever get to do is whatever the hell I want LOL.

I'm kind of a big guy (6' 2", 280) so most of my clothes tend to fit looser and a bit baggy anyway. I try to buy them that way.

I'm prepared for the commitment. The world is too dangerous and unpredictable to leave it to people that A.) are statistically less likely to put in the same or less amount of range time as me, B.) take an average of 5-10 minutes to respond, and C.) have no legal or civil obligation to protect me.
Old 12-16-2012, 9:13 AM

Ryan being a big guy raises another concern. I have a belly too so I have to wear my Levis lower, more towards my hips. When you do that it makes it harder to conceal OWB carry unless your T shirt looks like a short dress. Because of that I carry IWB and that will make you appreciate a skinny gun even more. Take a look at the XDs if you're stuck on an XD. I have pocket carried with cargo shorts using the top "slash" pocket and although it's more comfortable I wouldn't want to have to draw from my pocket.
Old 12-16-2012, 9:28 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't see the ability for CCW coming my way in my lifetime. Especially now.
And, yes, XD's are "on-roster".
Old 12-16-2012, 9:38 AM

try the strom i think you will like it better
Old 12-16-2012, 9:48 AM

From a guy in a free state who carries daily, a compact 1911 style .45 works with about anything. I'm 5'9" and 150. Not a big guy at all, but I carry Colt Defender with wood grips. I've also carried a few Kimber that were in that same size. I can say, it is a little more weight than the polymer guns out there but with the right belt and holster for support you'll never notice it. As a matter of fact, I carry my Defender with 2 extra mags. A bit of over kill I know but like I said, with the right belt and carry rig, you'll never notice. Plus, the 1911 style frame and slide hardly prints, or I should say, prints less than many others I have tried.
Old 12-16-2012, 9:53 AM

Well, for one thing, some of those subcompact 1911's are kind of heavy. For another thing, Rob Pincus seems to not really believe in them as defensive guns as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P0edDYdqXU

I keep trying to find the XD-s on the CA roster, but no luck so far. Am I just not seeing the right part number or something?
Old 12-16-2012, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlan1 View Post
I don't see the ability for CCW coming my way in my lifetime. Especially now.
And, yes, XD's are "on-roster".
P.S. If the 9th Circus rules the right way (I know, that's a BIG "if"), then it will effectively force sheriffs to re-write their issue policies, or face expensive litigation. Combine that with the Maryland circuit ruling earlier this year, and the Moore v Madigan ruling earlier this week, and the anti's are starting to get painted into a bit of a corner.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 AM

I just put a GLock 30 on my permit, Its the best CA legal 45 that carries ten + 1. I didnt really care much for glocks a few years ago but I shot a couple and after hearing how reliable they are i couldnt say no. Plus the price wasnt bad either. So im drinking the cool aid now. But next week im going to go buy my wife an XD sub com 9mm. The xds seem pretty legit.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_D View Post
Well, for one thing, some of those subcompact 1911's are kind of heavy. For another thing, Rob Pincus seems to not really believe in them as defensive guns as seen here:

I keep trying to find the XD-s on the CA roster, but no luck so far. Am I just not seeing the right part number or something?
Like I said, right belt and holster for support and carried everyday for the past 8 years with no problem but to each his own. You need what’s comfortable for you. Me personally, I’d rather be a few oz heavier than print.

As far as my opinion of the compact 1911, I run those same courses once a month, easily 300-400 rounds, as an instructor with my carry. Rain, shine or drought. Properly tuned and maintained with 0 FTF/FTE. But again, it’s your choice and what you feel is best for you. If you’re not confident in what you carry then what’s the point. In fact, it becomes your partner and you must have the utmost trust in your partner.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3jy View Post
Like I said, right belt and holster for support and carried everyday for the past 8 years with no problem but to each his own. You need what’s comfortable for you. Me personally, I’d rather be a few oz heavier than print.

As far as my opinion of the compact 1911, I run those same courses once a month, easily 300-400 rounds, as an instructor with my carry. Rain, shine or drought. Properly tuned and maintained with 0 FTF/FTE. But again, it’s your choice and what you feel is best for you. If you’re not confident in what you carry then what’s the point. In fact, it becomes your partner and you must have the utmost trust in your partner.
Point taken. I didn't mean to seem like I was casting stones...just saying as someone that has not fired the mini-1911's before, but now having seen Mr. Pincus' opinion of them, I'd probably be paranoid over something like that happening at the worst possible time for me, LOL. I DO like the subby 1911's though...they're pretty sweet looking.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:

XDs (plural of XD) are on the roster, but the XD-S (the single stack. 45ACP that came out this year) is not.

Statements I make on this forum should not be construed as giving legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf6tac View Post
XDs (plural of XD) are on the roster, but the XD-S (the single stack. 45ACP that came out this year) is not.
Thanks. I was referring to the XD-S (single-stack .45 ACP), not XDs (as in plural). Presumably the other poster that has one must've picked it up "off-roster" then?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The XD40 is a fine ccw weapon with lots of safety features. However the slide pull is unreasonably stiff IMHO. Compared to my M&P 40/9 and Glock .40 the pull is overly difficult and I am not sure why it needs to be. Slippery fingers, sweat, blood etc would be an issue so I chose a different carry weapon.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks. I was referring to the XD-S (single-stack .45 ACP), not XDs (as in plural). Presumably the other poster that has one must've picked it up "off-roster" then?
You could always SSE an XD-s if you really wanted one.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 AM

Yeah, I was referring to the single stack .45 XDs. It's not on the roster but I'm sure you could sse it somewhere.
Old 12-16-2012, 1:12 PM

I have been concealing the xd tactical 5" on my ccw for the last two years. I carry IWB on the front abdomen which conceals well but when I sit down, that 5" barrel puts some major pressure on "The Boys" if you know what I mean!!! Looking to buy the xd .40 subcompact but really want the XD-S single stack which is LEO. I have a relative who is LEO and thought about asking them to buy it and then do a ppt. Does anyone know what the law is for officers selling their weapons to citizens? Wouldn't want them to get into any trouble.
Old 12-16-2012, 2:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsidearm View Post
Looking to buy the xd .40 subcompact but really want the XD-S single stack which is LEO. I have a relative who is LEO and thought about asking them to buy it and then do a ppt. Does anyone know what the law is for officers selling their weapons to citizens? Wouldn't want them to get into any trouble.
What you described is essentially a straw purchase. Why not just find a shop that handles SSE?
Old 12-16-2012, 2:36 PM

What about wheel guns in 9 or 38? Suggestions
Old 12-16-2012, 2:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erskatedoc View Post
What about wheel guns in 9 or 38? Suggestions
In that case, I like the Ruger LCR.
Old 12-16-2012, 2:46 PM

I have not been able to find any local guys that wanted to do the SSE yet. They said they haven't had enough orders yet to get the conversion parts yet.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 PM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

Got my XD Slim .45 and love it. Gonna get another for under the other arm.
Old 12-19-2012, 8:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I carry a Ruger SR9C and it's great. Have you considered the SR40C? Put a Ghost trigger kit in it and it's even better.

"A city's strongest tower of defense is brave men" -Alcaeus
Old 12-19-2012, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

I have the XD sub compact .40, it seems to only come out when I'm wearing winter type clothing. My J frame and soon my P-238 get way more EDC.

The XD is nice tho.
Springer Precision worked mine over.