Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-19-2018, 9:26 AM

Default BBAW Registration VS. Current Anti-gun climate.

Was talking with a coworker about the current anti-gun craze building following the Florida Shooting. He brought up the subject of BBAW registration here in CA, and I am now wondering if any possible Federal action might make registering more or less attractive than in the pre-Florida shooting world.

Also wondering the same regarding further assault on the 2A here in California.

Of course we still know that nobody knows the future, and that registering or not registering could turn out to be the wrong choice, I’m just wondering if anyone had any pertinent insight to share.

Last edited by Regular guy; 02-19-2018 at 9:28 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-19-2018, 9:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Know this. We are more than likely going to get screwed.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-19-2018, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Sometimes I feel we are just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I played the 50/50 bet, registering half and converting to featureless on half. If the DOJ Reg to maintain BB on new registration is stuck down my “RAW” will benefit from a normal mag release. If the Progs in excramento require registration of all semi-auto long guns, then my featureless AW with have normal mad releases as registered as such.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular guy View Post
possible Federal action
There won't be any meaningful action at the federal level with the current party split in the House. Your friend needs to work on his math skills.
Old 02-19-2018, 1:13 PM

Personally I'm going to register mine. I feel if it's registered, there is less hassle when dealing with LEO (ya, it's a registered AW & here's a copy of my registration. Ok sir, have a nice day).

Law Enforcement is becoming less and less informed on what is legal. Especially with all this new DOJ made up regs. IMO, registration legitimizes what you own (it's been approved by the DOJ, now go away). Everything else could just be a "gray" area for uniformed LEO's.

More bans are coming with whatever new Gov. we get. Everything will be banned or need to be registered. We've had registered AW's for years now. I've read many a news story of someone arrested for having an "unregistered" AW, but not really any arrest of anyone for their "registered" AW.

If one day the State orders you to get rid of your AW's, just convert your firearm to non AW and un-register (if that is still a legal option).

The current registration has given us:

1.Confirmation of the legality of Arm Braces and Cheek Rests on Pistol

2.The ability to use 10+ mags

3.The ability to go under 30" in overall length.

4. The possibility of removing the BB one day if a court say so.

The down side:

1. Travel restrictions

2. Hassle to Register

3. The State knowing what you have, but in most cases, the State already knows your a gun owner.

Want a non-AW? Go to a gun shop today and buy one. Don't convert a pre 2017 to non-AW. You'll probably regret it in the future (I know I did after not registering some guns in 2001).

Any new Federal "feel good" law will probably only affect future sales, but who knows.

Again, theses are my opinions and what works for me based on my experiences.

Last edited by Dump1567; 02-26-2018 at 6:33 AM..
Old 02-19-2018, 1:35 PM

I registered all my store bought AW's using the CFAR system, but I will just put mag locks on my 80%'s and voluntary register them. The fact is that it is PITA to get new serial numbers engraved on top of the ones I already have on them, then subsequently get them re-anodized/Cerekoted after I submit for them to be registered. I am going through the nightmare of getting everything right under the SB-880 phase for twenty rifles and pistols, but now have to wait on my final application to be approved by the BOF because they need to add the name of a manufacturer that they failed to list in their drop down menu. This states has become a train wreck

Last edited by veeklog; 02-19-2018 at 1:40 PM..
Old 02-19-2018, 2:24 PM

In California its not a matter of "if?" or even "when?", it's a matter of "how badly this time?"
Old 02-19-2018, 3:04 PM

Waiting for them to close the “registration loophole”
Old 02-19-2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
but now have to wait on my final application to be approved by the BOF because they need to add the name of a manufacturer that they failed to list in their drop down menu
I'm pretty sure that's why I've seen no movement on a few of mine. I guess they don't like "Custom Model". And I don't either - so add the manufacturers that are missing already.
Old 02-19-2018, 3:33 PM

I don't think anything happens on a federal level. The only possibility would be universal background checks but I just don't see that happening under the current administration. Heck, they haven't even banned bump stocks and its been almost 5 months since the Vegas incedent.

As for CA, Gavin Newsom once elected will have no problem signing a complete ban on all semi-auto (self-loading) rifles. I would not put anything past him, not even an attempt to confiscate what is already legally owned. It will be more extreme than anything that we have seen proposed in this state over the past decade.
Old 02-19-2018, 7:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeklog View Post
I registered all my store bought AW's using the CFAR system, but I will just put mag locks on my 80%'s and voluntary register them. The fact is that it is PITA to get new serial numbers engraved on top of the ones I already have on them, then subsequently get them re-anodized/Cerekoted after I submit for them to be registered. I am going through the nightmare of getting everything right under the SB-880 phase for twenty rifles and pistols, but now have to wait on my final application to be approved by the BOF because they need to add the name of a manufacturer that they failed to list in their drop down menu. This states has become a train wreck
That happened forty years ago.

“In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.”
Publius Cornelius Scipio