Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-15-2018, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidkiller View Post
Quick Question regarding registration: I finally got my letter in from the doj confirming registration. I joint registered with my wife with myself as the primary. She is not listed on the notification letter. Do I know fill out a separate application for her?
yes indeed. You have to file a new set of applications for her. You use the assigned CRIS number to cross reference her applications with yours.
Old 02-15-2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixEstrella View Post
yes indeed. You have to file a new set of applications for her. You use the assigned CRIS number to cross reference her applications with yours.
Thank you
Old 02-15-2018, 5:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Submitted BBAW app for two rifles on Jan 31. Received a confirmation e-mail today for the AM-15. This one looks like it's a waiting game for the final paperwork. The other rifle, a WASR 10/63 is still in limbo. I realized upon checking my printout on the WASR I made a typo, the printout says in the model box WASR GP 10/63 and the optional serial number pic on the app I submitted is GP WASR-10/63. I expect this will get kicked back, If it does it should be a easy fix...

36 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A of treachery...

Last edited by 1bulletBarney; 02-15-2018 at 6:11 PM..
Old 02-16-2018, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

Seeing the picture of the gal holding the hello kitty rifle in the other thread got me thinking. All of the pictures were the weapons just laying on the kitchen floor, with nothing else in the frame. I wonder what would have happened if other things happened to have been in the picture as well, say something obscene or otherwise distasteful, forcing those DOJ pukes to have to look at it every time they reviewed the pictures.

I am in no way trying to say that the lady holding the rifle was distasteful, far from it, just got the hamster wheel in my noggin moving a bit.
Old 02-16-2018, 3:03 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
Seeing the picture of the gal holding the hello kitty rifle in the other thread got me thinking. All of the pictures were the weapons just laying on the kitchen floor, with nothing else in the frame. I wonder what would have happened if other things happened to have been in the picture as well, say something obscene or otherwise distasteful, forcing those DOJ pukes to have to look at it every time they reviewed the pictures.

I am in no way trying to say that the lady holding the rifle was distasteful, far from it, just got the hamster wheel in my noggin moving a bit.
People have joked about that ever since the photo requirement was announced. The consensus is you're probably better off just following their instructions, giving them as little info as you can, so they can just process it and move on. It's probably not a good thing to call extra attention to yourself.

If you don't really care whether or not they process your app in a timely manner (or at all), then by all means go ahead and include as many "marital aids" in your photos as you'd like.
Old 02-16-2018, 8:32 PM

848 total replies. This is proof they are making law abiding citizens felons. They complicate the process so much, that you need a gun expert lawyer to resistar. I hope the courts strike this down, or force the state to open resistration centers staffed, with all knowing employees that can inspect a rifle and do the registration process for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2018, 8:48 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by kteas1 View Post
848 total replies. This is proof they are making law abiding citizens felons. They complicate the process so much, that you need a gun expert lawyer to resistar. I hope the courts strike this down, or force the state to open resistration centers staffed, with all knowing employees that can inspect a rifle and do the registration process for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Heck I made both this thread AND the registration guide thread, and even I still don't totally understand how it all works. Intentionally confusing is an understatement - even the DOJ doesn't really understand what's going on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 7:05 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Intentionally confusing is an understatement - even the DOJ doesn't really understand what's going on.
As I mentioned in another thread, for one of my rifles that has a magpul PRS on it I got the “bring me a different rock” e-mail. So I resubmitted it with the comment, “The magpul PRS stock installed on this rifle neither telescopes nor folds, but I have been directed by DoJ to select this option anyway.”

...and it was approved like that.
Old 02-17-2018, 8:02 AM

I turned in a vol reg on my featureless 80% build, filled in everything and sent it in a month ago. Have not received anything back. Is that because they only provide feedback acceptance or rejection on an AR AW entry? Don't know if it is good or bad.
Old 02-17-2018, 9:44 AM

Haven't checked back in awhile. About to register, but have a few questions (couldn't find clarification on the DOJ FAQ):

1) want to joint register, but it's my gf whos lived with me for a little over a year now. Does GF satisfy domestic partner in this case?

2) Does GF need firearm safety certificate (FSC) to register?

3) I have no clue of the exact date I bought my AR (About 8 years ago), but I know where I bought it. Can't find paperwork. Are reviewers still picky on knowing the date you bought?

4) Is it okay to place a different upper on the AR prior to regiztration that is different from manufacturer's OEM upper? After registration?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 10:35 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear58 View Post
Haven't checked back in awhile. About to register, but have a few questions (couldn't find clarification on the DOJ FAQ):

1) want to joint register, but it's my gf whos lived with me for a little over a year now. Does GF satisfy domestic partner in this case?

2) Does GF need firearm safety certificate (FSC) to register?

3) I have no clue of the exact date I bought my AR (About 8 years ago), but I know where I bought it. Can't find paperwork. Are reviewers still picky on knowing the date you bought?

4) Is it okay to place a different upper on the AR prior to regiztration that is different from manufacturer's OEM upper? After registration?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
1-2) you have to be married to her to do joint registration.

3) an estimate is fine. Make a note in the comments section that says the purchase date is your best estimate.

4) yep that's all fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1BigTuna View Post
I turned in a vol reg on my featureless 80% build, filled in everything and sent it in a month ago. Have not received anything back. Is that because they only provide feedback acceptance or rejection on an AR AW entry? Don't know if it is good or bad.
I, too, would like to learn the approx approval time for an 80% Volreg (non AW) that’s submitted correctly. (I.e. unlicensed subject and model: full name)

Are they accepting our serial numbers? Are they asking for photos?

I know someone that submitted a BBAW and an 80% build at the same time through CFARS. The next day, they received the email saying they’ll be notified via mail on the BBAW. No word on the volreg 80%.
Old 02-17-2018, 9:04 PM

“you have to be married to her to do joint registration”

Get it done son! “Baby I need you to marry me so I don’t have to buy two gun safes”. “What!” “No!” Ok.
Old 02-18-2018, 7:46 AM

I want to register but unsure if the pictures that I will send will have the 10 round magazine or removed. How should it be? I saw the sample pictures from the pdf guide, it doesn't have the magazine in there. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1911 View Post
I want to register but unsure if the pictures that I will send will have the 10 round magazine or removed. How should it be? I saw the sample pictures from the pdf guide, it doesn't have the magazine in there. Thanks!
I went by the sample. No mags installed on any of them.
Old 02-19-2018, 9:51 AM

Apologies if this has been asked before, but if you can't remember from which FFL you purchased the rifle(s) from, what should you do?
Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and the result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values. -Ayn Rand
Old 02-19-2018, 10:09 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag1500 View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before, but if you can't remember from which FFL you purchased the rifle(s) from, what should you do?
Make your best guess. If DOJ has a record of where you bought it, and they disagree with your guess, they'll tell you what to write.

People have tried calling DOJ to inquire about purchase dates and places, and DOJ's position is that they can't be bothered to look it up for us. So that only leaves us with "take a guess". If they don't like us guessing, then they should be more cooperative about helping us get the correct info.

Since the form is submitted under penalty of perjury, it's worth making a comment at the bottom of the form that the FFL name and address are "to the best of my knowledge, but I don't exactly remember."

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-19-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 AM

In the Additional Firearm Characteristics section, there's a check box for "The capacity to accept a detachable Magazine Outside the Pistol Grip." If we're registering an AR-15 pattern rifle, do we have to check this box?
Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and the result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values. -Ayn Rand
Old 02-19-2018, 10:50 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
In the Additional Firearm Characteristics section, there's a check box for "The capacity to accept a detachable Magazine Outside the Pistol Grip." If we're registering an AR-15 pattern rifle, do we have to check this box?
For a "rifle", that shouldn't be one of the choices available to select. That option only pops up if you select "pistol" as the weapon type.

For an AR pistol that has a bullet button, I would check the box, and make a note in the Comments section at the bottom that "the magazine is actually neither fixed nor 'detachable', because it uses a bullet button style magazine release."

Their checkbox should've said "Has a non-fixed magazine outside the pistol grip", but this is what happens when an agency is tasked with enforcing laws they don't really understand.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-19-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 AM

Thanks. I was just going off of the screenshot you provided in your registration guide.
Old 02-20-2018, 8:47 AM

Sent in my registration paperwork on 1/8 for two rifles. I haven’t received an email since the receipt for payment. Shows processing with no kick backs. Also sent in the joint registration for my wife after sending mine in. Nothing on that one either.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:24 PM

Can somebody point me to the correct thread that addresses the bof-1008 form (serial numbers for 80% builds intended to be registered as Raws).

Just want to make sure it’s filled out correctly.
Old 02-20-2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1911 View Post
I took the advice of others before and removed everything, optics, sling, magazine, and light before taking photos and sending them. I did not want to have them get distracted or find something to mess with me. My registration went through in two weeks from submission to receiving my registration letter. This was for one Colt AR, your mileage may vary.
Old 02-20-2018, 3:28 PM

Completed the registration form on Feb. 2 for 1 rifle, and got the letter with registration number today. Interestingly the letter was dated Feb. 14. I guess I did get screwed Valentines Day.
Old 02-20-2018, 5:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtykim View Post
I received an unexpected call from DOJ. the lady that called said that my application was delayed due to a glitch in their system, that she appreciated my patience and that everything looked good with the corrections that i made along the way... and that she will be submitting the application for final approval. she was really nice.

I did mine on 12/31.
When and how did you contact them?
Old 02-20-2018, 6:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtykim View Post
DOJ called me.

Don't worry, everythings fine, we'll be along shortly with your "approval".
Old 02-21-2018, 5:49 AM

Received my DOJ approval letter yesterday. Started the process on Jan 31. Had to make a few corrections and submit a few additional photos on an AK pistol and a self built AR pistol.
The approval letter also lists my Bushmaster XM-15 from 1999.
Makes me wonder how an LE contact checking my guns would be able to distinguish between a bullet button RAW and one from 1999. Hmmm...
Old 02-21-2018, 7:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePilot View Post
Makes me wonder how an LE contact checking my guns would be able to distinguish between a bullet button RAW and one from 1999. Hmmm...
Hmmm is right. And a lot of us have been saying hmmm from the start.
Old 02-21-2018, 8:28 AM

Got my MCX and MPX pistols registered. Submitted late October, letter received Mid Feb. 4 months and 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2018, 8:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

They sure are nice when they are taking down your personnal information to be kept and used against you down the road...
Old 02-21-2018, 12:23 PM

If your registering a converted to pistol grip Saiga 12, do you have to show evidence of 922r compliance? Has anyone registered a converted Saiga 12?
Old 02-21-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3 View Post
If your registering a converted to pistol grip Saiga 12, do you have to show evidence of 922r compliance? Has anyone registered a converted Saiga 12?
I think you'll be fine. They'll tell you what to correct if there is an issue. I'm pretty sure no one at the DOJ knows what 922r is. And in fact, may confuse them if you bring it up.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:40 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
To my knowledge, they have not asked anyone to show evidence of 922(r) compliance, and the Penal code and regulations make no mention of it. It's on THEM to prove you aren't 922(r) compliant, it's not on YOU to prove that you are. Unless your rifle is clearly not 922(r) compliant (and I don't know how anyone could possibly tell just from photos of the exterior), I wouldn't expect DOJ to raise any issues with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
I think you'll be fine. They'll tell you what to correct if there is an issue. I'm pretty sure no one at the DOJ knows what 922r is. And in fact, may confuse them if you bring it up.
And also what Dump said. 922(r) is a Fed law (BATFE), so it's outside the realm of what DOJ is supposed to waste their time with.

If DOJ does come back and ask if it's 922(r) compliant, just answer that "yes it is, to the best of my knowledge". If they ask for proof, ask them to show you the penal code or regulation that required you to save all your receipts. They should shut up after that.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-21-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePilot View Post
Received my DOJ approval letter yesterday. Started the process on Jan 31. Had to make a few corrections and submit a few additional photos on an AK pistol and a self built AR pistol.
The approval letter also lists my Bushmaster XM-15 from 1999.
Did you put down your previous AWR number (1999) to this registration?
Old 02-21-2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akspetsnaz View Post
Did you put down your previous AWR number (1999) to this registration?
I did not
Old 02-21-2018, 6:12 PM

Question, i owned my Saiga-12 with bullet button installed before 12/31/16. Would it be lawful to convert it to pistol grip after 12/31/16 and register it by 07/01/18?
Old 02-21-2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Question, i owned my Saiga-12 with bullet button installed before 12/31/16. Would it be lawful to convert it to pistol grip after 12/31/16 and register it by 07/01/18?

As long as it had other features that classified it in 2017 as an assault weapon before 12/31/16. You are free to add or change assault weapon features legally as you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-23-2018, 1:27 PM

Do joint-registrants need a CRIS number or only the primary registrant needs a CRIS number?
Old 02-23-2018, 1:44 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Do joint-registrants need a CRIS number or only the primary registrant needs a CRIS number?
You only need to record the Primary cris number, because you have to put it on the joint application later. They might also give the joint applicant an additional, different cris number when they submit their application (I'm not sure about that, it might share a CRIS number with the primary applicant), but it wouldn't be needed for anything (still a good idea to write it down anyways)
Old 02-23-2018, 1:56 PM

Thanks for the clarification.