Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:29 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehjosheh View Post
Thank you for the resource, guess I'll just contact both my assembly member and senate representative
The bill is not in the Senate yet, so contacting your Senator will fall on deaf ears. Instead, contact your Assembly member, and the 7 members of the Assembly Public Safety Committee, which is who will be voting on this bill first.

For more information, see this post about contacting legislators http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post21195841 (the first post in that thread is also worth a read, if you're not familiar with how the Legislature works in CA)

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-19-2018 at 11:33 AM..
Old 02-19-2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
For more information, see this post about contacting legislators http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post21195841 (the first post in that thread is also worth a read, if you're not familiar with how the Legislature works in CA)
Exactly the information I was looking for, thank you very much for your time for putting that together.
Old 02-19-2018, 4:43 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehjosheh View Post
Exactly the information I was looking for, thank you very much for your time for putting that together.
You're welcome!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Old 02-19-2018, 7:48 PM

yup, just sent my email to my state senator

If it bleeds, we can kill it... Dutch

(I need) Guns. Lots of guns... Neo
Old 02-19-2018, 7:55 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by $nake-Eye$ View Post
yup, just sent my email to my state senator
S/He won't see this bill unless the assembly passes it first, so make sure to contact your assembly member, as well, so that hopefully we can get this bill into the Senate! Thanks for joining the fight!

Old 02-19-2018, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
They're way ahead of you, AB-2733 which was also introduced a few days ago, seeks to repeal only the microstamping portion of the law. When I posted about that one, people mostly complained that it didn't go far enough. Now there's this bill, and it goes too far Our representatives are coming at this from all angles this year, they are finally fighting this battle from an offense position for a change, and they deserve our heartfelt thanks.
Exactly; I saw that, and a multi-pronged attack is the best way to go. It's exactly how the Democrats committed their strategy last year, which unfortunately, worked for them.

Knowing there are simultaneous legal efforts going on, even better.

Old 02-19-2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
S/He won't see this bill unless the assembly passes it first, so make sure to contact your assembly member, as well, so that hopefully we can get this bill into the Senate! Thanks for joining the fight!

Just sent the same email to assembly man

If it bleeds, we can kill it... Dutch

(I need) Guns. Lots of guns... Neo
Old 02-20-2018, 9:44 AM

Anyone who’s corresponded with their rep have a letter template they’d like to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2018, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I'd always hoped this law would be thrown out by SCOTUS - since it is easily proven that "safety" is not what this legislation is about. But I suppose that is not going to happen.

Lorcin L380 with bottle opener mag attachment
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's here to stay. The SCOTUS is completley comfortable with 50 different interpretations of the 2nd amendment. That is why they refuse to clarify Heller or take any new gun cases. They are done with us.

Concerned citizens will make their own rules up.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
It's here to stay. The SCOTUS is completley comfortable with 50 different interpretations of the 2nd amendment. That is why they refuse to clarify Heller or take any new gun cases. They are done with us.

Concerned citizens will make their own rules up.
I observed out of state, this is pretty much how it works. Law enforcement is more concerned about criminals rather than what law abiding gun owners do with their firearms. Which is how it should be.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:30 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
I observed out of state, this is pretty much how it works. Law enforcement is more concerned about criminals rather than what law abiding gun owners do with their firearms. Which is how it should be.
That's how it often is in rural CA, but the problem is you can never be 100% sure whether the LE in your area feel the same way, or even how a particular officer feels.

My only LE interaction about guns, so far, involved a Sheriff asking if he could try shooting a couple shells with my Benelli M4. He couldn't have cared less what kinds of other guns I had, didn't even look or ask. Just wanted to say hi, shoot my M4, and thank me for being safe and cleaning up after myself. But I certainly don't want to take the chance that every future interaction with every other officer in the area will be as pleasant. It would be great if some departments would post their official positions on these matters so that we could do what we want to do with confidence.

Old 02-21-2018, 2:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's how it often is in rural CA, but the problem is you can never be 100% sure whether the LE in your area feel the same way, or even how a particular officer feels.
As the saying goes... "it's better than a kick in the @$$."

Ignoring laws established by politicians in far-away locations is how CA "legalized" pot and how CO deals with magazines over 15 round capacity. It is better than having monolithic law enforcement driven by the LAPD.

Besides, those in L.A. have to learn that if they want to govern and dictate the rest of CA, they actually have to live where the rest of CA is. Just being localized in a few human anthill locations gives them a lot of votes, but not that much territory coverage. Do you really expect LAPD officers to travel the state to enforce the law? As likely as feds suddenly coming to CA to enforce marijuana laws...
Old 02-21-2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
Is everyone so busy that they can't write their rep to voice their support for these types of bills? What do you have to lose by doing that, 10 minutes of your time? It doesn't even require paper, envelope, and stamp these days.Come on folks.

Even if you know your rep won't support it, you should be writing them anyway, if for nothing else, just to get under their skin.
Oh, my rep supports gun rights alright, but he isn't on any of these committees where these bills die on party line votes. As you know well, nothing favorable to 2A gets past the Public safety Committee, where we can't even get a fair hearing because minds are made up before the hearings ever start. The hearings are just for show and to fulfill the requirements of the law.
Old 02-21-2018, 3:04 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
As the saying goes... "it's better than a kick in the @$$."

Ignoring laws established by politicians in far-away locations is how CA "legalized" pot and how CO deals with magazines over 15 round capacity. It is better than having monolithic law enforcement driven by the LAPD.

Besides, those in L.A. have to learn that if they want to govern and dictate the rest of CA, they actually have to live where the rest of CA is. Just being localized in a few human anthill locations gives them a lot of votes, but not that much territory coverage. Do you really expect LAPD officers to travel the state to enforce the law? As likely as feds suddenly coming to CA to enforce marijuana laws...
Lots and LOTS of both rural urban pot grows got busted before it got legalized, though. Unlike us, they took the chance because they stood to make a LOT of money if they didn't get caught. I doubt they were doing it with the hopes that it might cause it to become legal someday. On the contrary, most probably didn't want it to be legalized.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people ignoring our gun laws. I strongly support them. I'm just a little more careful about it, that's all.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-21-2018 at 3:13 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlander Arms View Post
As a company selling a rather ridiculous compliance device because of the roster, we would celebrate not having to keep producing our kit if this passes!
This post makes me want to, just to support you and I honestly have no desire to build an 80%. I'm on my way to your website now to see what there is to see.

I don't have high hopes that this case will get anywhere. Just like the 10-day wait, SCOTUS will keep knocking down all cases related to 2A that they can.
Old 02-21-2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:

My only LE interaction about guns, so far, involved a Sheriff asking if he could try shooting a couple shells with my Benelli M4. He couldn't have cared less what kinds of other guns I had, didn't even look or ask. Just wanted to say hi, shoot my M4, and thank me for being safe and cleaning up after myself. But I certainly don't want to take the chance that every future interaction with every other officer in the area will be as pleasant. It would be great if some departments would post their official positions on these matters so that we could do what we want to do with confidence.
Guns with LE can be hit or miss. There are LE that will take any opportunity to take guns off the street (legal or not). Some LE are more gun friendly and will look the other way, even on felonies if you are not a gang member.

I was talking with a neighbor in SD and his father in Law passed away leaving a bunch of firearms, even some machine guns. My neighbor, not being a gun enthusiast, took them all to the local sheriffs station and tried to turn them in. The guy working the desk told him to just go to a gun store and sell them. My neighbor then asked, "are you sure? I got a whole arsenal in the trunk?" and the deputy said "yea, a gun store will put them all in legal condition and help you sell them for a fee. Have a nice day."

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Old 02-21-2018, 3:49 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReluctantCraftstronaut View Post
I don't have high hopes that this case will get anywhere. Just like the 10-day wait, SCOTUS will keep knocking down all cases related to 2A that they can.
Just semantics, but this is a bill, not a case. There is a roster case as well, but that's a different discussion.

The primary difference is that instead of the courts (who are NOT receptive to commentary from the public) deciding whether or not we keep the roster, it'll be decided by the legislature (who is, theoretically anyways, more receptive to our commentary)

Old 02-21-2018, 3:51 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
I was talking with a neighbor in SD and his father in Law passed away leaving a bunch of firearms, even some machine guns. My neighbor, not being a gun enthusiast, took them all to the local sheriffs station and tried to turn them in. The guy working the desk told him to just go to a gun store and sell them. My neighbor then asked, "are you sure? I got a whole arsenal in the trunk?" and the deputy said "yea, a gun store will put them all in legal condition and help you sell them for a fee. Have a nice day."
Hahahaha, that's awesome

And the way it should be! Your neighbor was obviously not a criminal, so he shouldn't be treated as one. Kudos to that Sheriff employee for doing the right thing.

Old 02-21-2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Just semantics, but this is a bill, not a case. There is a roster case as well, but that's a different discussion.

The primary difference is that instead of the courts (who are NOT receptive to commentary from the public) deciding whether or not we keep the roster, it'll be decided by the legislature (who is, theoretically anyways, more receptive to our commentary)
That's a good distinction, I had it in my brain this was another case similar to the one already in motion. Thanks!

Even still, I can't say my hopes are raised much. I did log into the site and comment to Assemblyman Allen, thanking him. So here's to hope, even if it's a sliver.
Old 02-21-2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
Sounds great, won’t pass.
Your avatar explains the liberal mindset! You live in that area too
Old 02-21-2018, 4:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS View Post
How much does the roster program cost to administer?...
And it's been in affect long enough to have the statistics to prove that nothing has changed. We are spending unnecessary money that accomplishes nothing. Even a spendthrift democrat will support that.
Old 02-21-2018, 4:57 PM

Bill is about as DOA as it gets, which even he knows. It's more of a talking point for getting the GOP vote out and for him in May-June.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Seeing a lot of asinine "in favor of gun control" threads. Damned shills.

In the meantime, let's not forget there are favorable bills being pitched in CA, even if there is no faith they have legs. Showing support for them is still important to those legislators that are standing by us and took the time, work, effort, and their credibility to submit these bills in the first place.

Old 02-24-2018, 1:05 PM

Ask and you shall receive, we don't know who is truly anti-gun and who isn't.

Our greatest weapon to fight the anti's is the TRUTH they sell lies, prop 63 was a lie and why it passed so easily. If you actually explain the hypocrisy and lies of the original laws, objective thinkers will look at it and go "huh? Well that doesn't make any sense".

CA is filled with anti gun dodo birds, but it's also filled with honest hard working people who may identify democrat in the bigger picture, but may not be anti gun.

The more pro 2a bills we have coming out, with everything properly laid out, the more likely we are to defeat the restrictive ones that are already on the books.

The people who keep talking about these fantasy lawsuits that are going to save us, AREN'T GOING TO HAPPEN. SCOTUS doesn't give an F about the 2A in california, THIS is how we can slowly get our rights back by fighting from the inside. If we put enough pressure on them with a slew of 2a bills and strong public support I think we can some traction and make headway here in CA. Don't cut down those that are fighting for us, support them and fall in line!
Old 03-27-2018, 12:36 AM
Calguns Addict

OK, the "march for our lies" propaganda force got their 15 minutes. We've got real work to do.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 03-27-2018, 6:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

From a couple of years back. This is one of the easiest and most egregious gun control schemes California has ever come up with....all in the name of "public safety".

"“California’s handgun roster and microstamping laws are a nothing short of a ban on safe, modern firearms that are commonly purchased by residents of other states for lawful purposes like self-defense,” Brandon Combs, executive director of the Calguns Foundation told Guns.com Tuesday.

“We predicted years ago that the roster would continue to shrink, and we’re seeing that here,” he said.

Calguns estimates that at the current rate the number of approved handguns will dwindle to practically zero within the next six years as those currently approved will fail to meet new requirements, leaving a state of some 38 million unable to purchase new semi-automatic handguns."

http://www.guns.com/2016/01/06/calif...ster-turns-16/

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.