Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-08-2016, 5:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Anyone using Laser dryfire ammo/guns?

Midway had a special for the LaserLyte "Color guard" kit, $100 for the training gun and some target that changes color and you get points for hitting it when it changes to the right color. I bought it for the laser trainer, and then I found a free target app (it's called Shootoff, and it's free, uses a webcam and a computer).

I actually bought it to practice drawing with my shot timer, and was looking around for some way to translate a laser "hit" into an open (or closed) circuit as the shot timer can detect an open circuit as a "hit". It's for shooting steel targets with a real gun ... the timer beeps, you draw and shoot and the steel falls away from a switch which signals your hit.

I'm not really sure how to detect a hit, so as I was googling around the web, I found this free software. Haven't got the trainer or the software yet.

I know the laser things are not a huge help, but when your range time is limited, anything helps!

Anyway, wondering if there are others who use laser training guns and what they do to train. Thanks!

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 12-08-2016, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know anyone using them, and I'd recommend against them.

Learn to dryfire properly, and practice daily, or as often as you can. There are plenty of excellent books on the topic. Ben Stoeger is an author that comes to mind. Use smile.amazon to support CalGuns! You'll be using your actual gun, not some toy.

As you get better, you'll learn to "call your shots", and what quality of sight picture yields what kind of result, so you'll see there's no need to worry about detecting hits. There are free dry fire timers online and free dry fire apps for your phone.

A lot less expensive that laser gimmicks, and massively effective.
Old 12-08-2016, 7:01 PM

I'll go on the other side: I got a Laserlyte Trigger Tyme kit with a target that shows WHERE I hit before I decided to get a real pistol. The trigger break is a little squishy and the reset is LONG, but it did show me some anticipating and helped me learn more steadiness on trigger break.

Now I got the replica pistol with the in-barrel laser so it helps now and can work with multiple pistols. It's not as great as the cartridge laser though.
Old 12-08-2016, 7:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I opted for the fake pistol versus the cartridge to avoid having to rack the slide a bit to reset the trigger. Of course with a DA pistol that's not a problem.

I wanted it more to work on draw times with a shot timer, which is why a laser sensor that can trip the timer would be nice.

Old 12-08-2016, 7:22 PM

Laser systems not a big help. Then why does LE and military use them?
I would recommend checking out Itargetpro though pretty cost effective.
Unless you want to spend a few dollars the go to the glockstore he has some laser training targets that are interactive that make sounds when hit, and also a reset trigger for glocks (if you use a Glock)

Building a 1911 with a rock in a Cavehttp://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=957081
Old 12-08-2016, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

I have these laser cartridges, 9mm and .45 ACP, but not the laserlyte brand. There's another brand that does the same thing but at half the cost that I found on ebay. I also use the sharpspotter software to record where the laser hits are on the target. Ignore the advice to avoid these laser cartridges, since you'll be dry firing when you use these things and will be practicing the same skills if you used an empty cartridge or no cartridge in the chamber of the gun. With these laser cartridges and the software, all of your shots will be recorded and you can review where the hits are going, as opposed to the "proper" dry firing mentioned above where you won't know where the hits are. The only problem I have is that sometimes the laser spot isn't exactly where the sights are aligned on, and I have to take the cartridge out and reload it into the chamber. This quirk might be just for the brand of laser I bought, and might not be a problem with the laserlyte lasers.
Old 12-08-2016, 8:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
How many A class and above guys do you know using a laser, vs how many A class and above guys using Ben Stoeger's dry fire book?
I have the Stoeger's books...and I'm no faster. On the other hand, I guess I should read them.

Old 12-09-2016, 6:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
How many A class and above guys do you know using a laser, vs how many A class and above guys using Ben Stoeger's dry fire book?
Don't you go bringing logic into this!

PS: yes, I'm A-class in production
Old 12-09-2016, 2:24 PM

I have the iTarget Pro in .45 ACP and I find it to be pretty useful to fill in the gaps between range visits.

It's a little clunky and the target is small (about 10-in diameter) and it doesn't have enough contrast to be seen very well past about 15 feet. But it's fun and a great way to get used to the ergonomics of a new gun, practice your stance, grip, trigger pulls, and dial in your sights without burning a bunch of ammo or going to the range.

Since it's not a live fire, you have to rack the slide for each shot but other than that, it's a cool little tool. I use mine with the iPhone but it works with Android too. Here's one 10-round grouping at 20 feet that I did once I got used to it.

The whole thing was only $89 which includes the sled, target, laser round (caliber specific), extra batteries, and you just download the app.

https://www.itargetpro.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15085504_669664683205866_8513169071777978678_n.jpg (43.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-09-2016, 2:30 PM
Veteran Member

If i had one critique of the concept, its important to remember to keep focused on the front sight, vs scanning for a laser every time you press the trigger. Eventually doing that enough will show itself into times when you're shooting live ammo
Old 12-10-2016, 10:02 AM

Navy SEALs on Coronado have a "gunfighter gym" where they use laser rifles. It's pretty sick, basically they use airsoft rifles that shoot a laser (so you have to reload mags charged with gas). They shoot at a 20 foot projection screen that has interactive targets so they can run drills, position transitions, even hit some pushups in between shot sequences. I'd never knock dry-fire, but depending on what you're trying to do, it'll only get you so far. Anything that makes training more enjoyable, and therefore more likely you'll actually do it, is worth it.
Old 12-10-2016, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
If i had one critique of the concept, its important to remember to keep focused on the front sight, vs scanning for a laser every time you press the trigger. Eventually doing that enough will show itself into times when you're shooting live ammo
That's what the software is for, to record where the shots are landing. I don't scan for the laser spot, I just dry fire like I have always been doing. Good sight alignment, good sight picture, clean trigger squeeze, steady hold at center mass. With the software, you can set up several targets and go through a firing sequence, shooting one target after the other, and later review on the computer where the shots landed.