Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-08-2016, 5:05 PM

Default Glock barrel twist rate?

Why are all the aftermarket barrels for the 40SW a 1:16 twist instead of a more stablising 1:10 twist?
I’m trying to find an aftermarket barrel for my Glock platforms that supports the case web better and everything is 1:16 as opposed to 1:10.
I checked and the original 40SW & 10mm testing data and it shows a 1:16 but Glock has always used a 1.94 twist - Standard for 9mm, 10mm, .357 & 40SW.
It is not because of the groove style.
I even checked out Carbine barrels and the 9mm standard is 1:10 but the 40SW is 1:16 from almost all aftermarket manufactures. Ballistics and speed between the 9mm & 40SW are similar but the 40W has a heavier & wider payload to stabilize.
Anyone know why the 1:16 as opposed to faster twist not guess?
Old 04-16-2019, 7:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just about all factory Glock barrels are 1/10. I dont think there's a specific advantage, especially in accuracy. Maybe they are using this value as a standard. I remember the SW M&P 9mm having a 1/18 twist, and many custom/match barrels are 1/16 or slower.
For pistol calibers and their velocities, I think there is not enough variation in bullet length to really affect performance (as opposed to rifle bullets and velocities).

Anyway, I just wanted to post in this necro thread to see if anyone else has more information on Glock 9mm 1/10 vs 1/16. What I stated above is the extent of my knowledge and is likely wrong.