Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-05-2012, 6:27 PM

Default Surefire X300 and DG switch

Do any LEO's here use the surefire weapon light and if so, do you use a DG switch with it? Why or why not? Thanks!
Old 09-05-2012, 8:19 PM

I go back and forth. I like the DG switch, but because it is made of a soft rubber-type compound it can catch on the holster material, slowing my draw a bit...In addition, the friction causes the DG switch to wear out over time. We have been working with Surefire towards a solution, and some guys have been testing a version that works very well (and that's all I have to say about that ).

I currently run my X300 without the DG switch while training. My duty pistol has a DG switch. We issue the light without the DG switch, so I run it the way we issue it (DG switches are approved at deputy expense) during most training. Ultimately I think the DG switch is a great addition that solves many tactical problems. The few new problems it creates are fairly easily solved.

When using the DG switch, one must learn how to draw the pistol without activating the switch. Most of the time, on a fast draw, it won't matter if you activate the switch, and you'll probably want the light on anyway, because bad guy already knows where you are. At the same time, it is not a good idea to have the light on all the time while searching, covering, assessing, etc., so the user must become proficient in releasing the switch while maintaining a solid grip. This is the biggest issue I see but is easily overcome with training.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 PM

Thank you SoCalDep, I couldn't have asked for a better response. I will be, as I'm sure many others, very interested in this solution for the DG switch. It does seem like the DG switch can be a very useful tool when the goal is to not keep the light on at all times.

I find that while shooting the light is always coming on as I put pressure on the grip. But I assume that in a shooting situation a light coming on is not going to be a big deal.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfish95747 View Post
I find that while shooting the light is always coming on as I put pressure on the grip. But I assume that in a shooting situation a light coming on is not going to be a big deal.
Yea...With the DG switch the light WILL come on when you tighten your grip to shoot...not a big deal as your gun will be making loud noises and shooting fire out the end...people will figure out where you are if they don't already know. It's before a shooting (while searching, etc.) or after when the light discipline comes into play.

We spend a lot of time (I wish we could spend more) on low light training and the use of both hand-held and weapon mounted lights. It is important to understand when to use them and when not to use them. We train if a shooting occurs to shoot, light off, move, then assess. Intermittent light will likely be appropriate during assessment, and there will be times where keeping the light on a suspect or threat area would be more appropriate.

And that's the rub. No situation is the same, thus it's impossible to give one solution for every problem. This is why we focus more on using the equipment you have to the best of your ability. There are drawbacks to not having a DG switch. We train to mitigate those drawbacks. There are also issues that arise with the use of the DG switch. We train to overcome those as well.

The DG switch is a great tool for searching, as you can open a door, pull up covers on a bed, etc, and still have full control over your light and pistol. It also allows less potential for inadvertent constant-on activation. I know when shooting without the DG switch I'll sometimes accidentally rotate the toggle into the constant-on mode...Not a big deal unless you forget to turn it off or leave it on for a speed reload (I call that "signalling the space station"). With the DG switch, that's not an issue...You just have to get used to sliding your middle finger forward to avoid keeping the light activated when you don't want it on.

Another big advantage of the DG switch is that startle "draw/fire" response. Gun fights often (almost always) involve movement on the part of both good guy and bad (or both bad guys). As the good guy, we are often behind the reactionary curve and are trying to catch up with the actions of the bad guy. The likelihood of having to draw and fire immediately, possibly one handed while moving, makes the effective use of a toggle-based weapon-light extremely difficult. I rarely see deputies use toggle lights during these types of scenarios. On the other hand, the DG switch is intuitive, and those using it almost always turn on the light and seem to make more accurate hits in general.
Old 09-07-2012, 3:03 PM

I have carried the x300 with the switch for several years. Having been on an entry team on several hundred warrant entries, I have used the light extensively. This is one of the best tools I carry on the job. You can gp and talk on the radio at the same time. Searching is much safer given proper muzzle and trigger disciplines.

I strongly caution you to maintain a strong master grip, not repositioning your hand. Several tac-teams have had negligent discharges due to the fact the operator repositioned his hand, loosing the master grip. This resulted in the #2 finger ending up inside the trigger guard. They apply #2 finger pressure to activate the light and bang. If you train properly, you should not have issues.

The problem I see without the DG switch comes when you need a target illuminated and rounds fired. With single handed shooting, the light has to turn off to fire (assuming there is not time to activate the steady on mode).

Just my two cents...I hope it helps. Money well spent!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 AM

I have a department issued Glock 21SF with an "old school" X200. I purchased a X300 and I run it with a DG-11 switch. In my opinion, I believe having a DG switch has many more advantages than disadvantages. Or at least the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

In my experience having the DG switch during a building search gives you a HUGE tactical advantage. The DG switch leaves your weak hand open to do various tasks (i.e. opening/propping doors, turning on lights, cue radio mic, giving directions, etc.). If you did not have the DG switch, turning on the X300 with the rear switch is cumbersome and takes your focus away from the threat(s).

Some cons would be you need to practice NOT turning on the light while having your master grip. There is a high chance of turning on light as you unholster your firearm. Both technically can give your position away.

All in all, I believe having a Surefire weapon light with a DG switch gives you a tactical advantage. I trust this setup so much that I have purchased Surefire weaponlights and DG switches fo all my firearms.
Old 09-29-2012, 5:33 PM

I personally like the X300, but the DG switch is a pain fro me. Because of it's position on the grips, it takes a lot of pressure to activate the switch. There have been some peace officers who were involved in shootings that actually accidentally discharged their weapon while trying to use the light after they had already fired the weapon but did not intend to fire another round.

On my department, they have begun discouraging us from using the DG switch, but it is not forbidden.

Too bad there are no other DG switch configurations available for the X300.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013