Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 12-09-2013, 1:35 PM

Any update if this is happening this Saturday?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2013, 1:58 PM

I've never been to that range - it is all indoor, correct?
Must newbies show up at 1400 to attend the "training" or can they show up at any time if accompanied by an experienced shooter?
How many lanes are there and what should one expect to be the a)wait time to get on a lane? and b)how long can a lane be occupied?
Is the munching of the munchies done at a specific time or is there an area set aside for the food and people can access it when they want?

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-11-2013, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekPT View Post
I've never been to that range - it is all indoor, correct?
Must newbies show up at 1400 to attend the "training" or can they show up at any time if accompanied by an experienced shooter?
How many lanes are there and what should one expect to be the a)wait time to get on a lane? and b)how long can a lane be occupied?
Is the munching of the munchies done at a specific time or is there an area set aside for the food and people can access it when they want?

Thanks for the info!
Hi, Greek,

Newbies can show up 'any time', but its only the first two or three hours which are restricted to 22 rimfire only, to keep the noise level down.

Note that young people must have a parent present, or, a responsible adult friend of that parent, with a signed note from a parent authorising that adult to act 'in loco parentis' for the event. Multiple young people of a 'family and friends' group are welcome, but some adult with the group must be available to supervise them at all times.

It should be obvious that we can't have unsupervised really young people even well behind the line on a live fire range, meaning that if a parent is supervising one young person at the firing line, another adult must be supervising the remaining young folks. Obviously, any young folks must be 'on their best behaviour', or we cannot have them in the range facility at all. It is the responsibility of one adult with any such group to adequately supervise the really young folks.

We've only five firing points, so there can be some waiting time......we try to balance getting each newbie enough individual instruction and 'target time' to be worth-while. with the numbers of newbies.

As a generality, about 25 to 30-ish newbies are about as many as we can serve adequately on any one event day. Some days we've 'run at capacity', other days, particularly in the cold/rainy months, are sparsely attended, and we can devote more time to each newbie.

As to food service......of late, we've had the good fortune to have Mike Varner doing barbecue......Mike is a professional in the field, and has been doing barbecues for much larger events for many years.......so food will be ready when Mike says it is.....but it will be good food (that said, be nice and bring some pastries or other 'munchies' so share with everyone)

Note that the event really is 'free' for the young people, and the range use time is donated by the Rifle Club, but it does cost us roughly $100-ish per event day for barbecue and 22 rounds, so the event must be 'donation supported'.

Other than the donation of range use time, this event is run at no direct cost to the Rifle Club, it has to be a 'self-supporting programme'.

We, the volunteers who run the event, 'front' the cost of food and rounds, and hope to 'break even' with donations from those who feel that the event is worthy of support.....some months we run a few $ short, some months, a few $ over the actual costs for that day.....it has pretty much balanced out over time.

cheers

Carla
Old 04-08-2014, 10:33 AM

Is this happening this saturday, April 12th?? It's really confusing the way this thread is updated, maybe it would be better to start a new thread each month?

Santa Clara County resident? Join us for our Meet & Greets to find out what is going on in the County pertaining to 2nd Amendment!
Old 04-10-2014, 1:42 PM

I'm planning on coming, what time is best to show up for >22 caliber?

Santa Clara County resident? Join us for our Meet & Greets to find out what is going on in the County pertaining to 2nd Amendment!
Old 04-10-2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGunMom View Post
I'm planning on coming, what time is best to show up for >22 caliber?
Whenever you like, the event begins at 1400 (2PM)

we (the event crew) never know how many newbies will attend, so its a matter of rationing out time on the five available firing points as best we can improvise, so everyone gets a turn, and each newbie gets enough time on the line for a useful amount of basic familiarisation fire.

In short, every one of these events is an 'improvisation', to try to do the best we can with the somewhat limited resources we have.

If you are an experienced shooter, and feel that you might be capable of helping with the complete newbies, any help you'd care to offer would be gratefully appreciated.

cheers

Carla
Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 PM

Ok, I'll try to come and help with the newbies. My cleaning lady comes this Saturday and I don't know what time she'll be here or I'd be more specific. What time does it end, or what time do they throw us out ;-) ?

Old 04-11-2014, 1:56 PM

The event is 'on the range calendar' from 1400 (2PM) til 2100 (9PM), but the cleanup/closing time is 'improvisational'.

Sometimes we've swept up and closed by 8-ish PM, and sometimes we've run a bit later, as event volunteers and their friends wanted to do some more centre-fire handgun shooting. A few times, we've kept the place open til midnight, actually, or a bit later, and I'll just make up a fresh pot of coffee for everyone..

If anyone needs......or just prefers.....to leave a bit earlier than the 'official' event closing time, thats fine, too.

Per the Rifle Club policy, any member with Rangemaster qualification may opt to keep the range open for 'members and friends' use', after the 'official' closing time of a regular event.

There is no 'throw us out' time, altho Rifle Club members who are not affiliated with the newbies' event may come to shoot in 'members' free time' after the 'official' event closing time. This has only happened a couple of times in five years, so its unlikely.

cheers

Carla
Old 06-23-2014, 5:57 PM

For anyone in the area that hasn't managed to make it out yet, maybe take some friends along, you are really missing some fun. There isn't much better than watching a newbie's eyes light up when the light bulb clicks on.
"yet there is something still that will always be mine, and when I go to God's presence, there I will doff it and sweep the heavenly pavement with a gesture: something I'll take unstained out of this world... my panache." ~Cyrano de Bergerac
Old 02-13-2015, 12:20 AM

Update.......... : )
Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 AM

Update....... : )