Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 AM

Default 18/M/SB - Looking for mentor

Hey,
I've been wanting to post this for a while, but I've always been too busy/lazy, but now with Nordyke, I figure nows the best time. I'm looking for someone to teach me a bit about stuff like proper stance, cleaning, and range manners. I've only gone shooting once (Walther P22, indoor range if you're curious), but I loved it. Unfortunately, my parents are antis who go nuts every time I try bringing up guns (my father is of the opinion that since we're middle eastern, if I so much as touch a gun, I'd be labelled as a terrorist and shipped to Gitmo), but now that I've moved out here for school (UCSB) I figure nothings stopping me other than not having a car. So what do y'all say? Mind letting me put a few hours worth of .22s through your 10/22? I'd be much obliged, and I'll cover for my ammo (I know ammos getting a bit pricey with Obamamania)

Thanks,
KWA-S
Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Best of luck to you! I truly hope someone "adopts" you. I know I was incredibly grateful to the man who gave me a ride to a gunshow in Alaska (from Anchorage to Wasilla ~ 40 miles). Without him I would never had a chance to get that FN FAL I wanted.

You're 18. I don't see why you cannot buy your own 10/22 or similar rifle. Winchester Canyon Gun Club (http://wcgc.org/) is only 6 miles from the UCSB campus. That's an casual 30-45 minute bike ride (probably even shorter).

Last edited by Jason762; 04-20-2009 at 10:44 AM..
Old 04-20-2009, 1:13 PM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
Best of luck to you! I truly hope someone "adopts" you. I know I was incredibly grateful to the man who gave me a ride to a gunshow in Alaska (from Anchorage to Wasilla ~ 40 miles). Without him I would never had a chance to get that FN FAL I wanted.

You're 18. I don't see why you cannot buy your own 10/22 or similar rifle. Winchester Canyon Gun Club (http://wcgc.org/) is only 6 miles from the UCSB campus. That's an casual 30-45 minute bike ride (probably even shorter).
Im guessing the OP lives on campus and cant have a firearms on campus. To the OP....have you looked into a gun club on campus?

Old 04-20-2009, 1:30 PM

Too bad you don't live closer to where I live, I'd invite you to come shoot with me sometime.
I'm only 20, but could still give some pointers.

I've been in your same situation. I'd suggest, until you can get out and go shooting, read as much as you can online. If you have questions about something or just want to learn more, ask on here or search on Google. Nothing makes up for range time, though.

Last edited by CmpsdNoMore; 04-20-2009 at 1:33 PM..
Old 04-20-2009, 3:18 PM

Yep, I live on campus, and will be for at least another year. Otherwise, I would have bought a 10/22 or a Marlin 60 already, even if I couldn't shoot it. WCGC is 6 miles as the crow flies...by road, its 17 miles, and I doubt I'm in shape enough to pedal 11 miles up foothills on my piece of junk of a bike...and the cops probably wouldn't be too happy about some guy pedaling on the side of a highway that doesn't have a bike path or sidewalk with a rifle on his back and several hundred rounds in his pockets.

There is a university gun club (not officially sanctioned) which meet once a month and are impossible to get in contact with...haven't been able to find them since I got here.

I do hang around gun forums a lot, but like you said...theres nothing like hands on training.

Thanks for the luck guys!
Old 04-20-2009, 4:49 PM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

Try posting this on the Off Topic thread because I know there are calgunners in (or near) SB. I wish you were closer so that I too can help you out (im only 20 btw).

Old 04-21-2009, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
Try posting this on the Off Topic thread because I know there are calgunners in (or near) SB. I wish you were closer so that I too can help you out (im only 20 btw).
Thanks Vinny, I appreciate the support that you've given in this thread, thats plenty enough help for me.

I think I might want to wait a few days before posting in Off Topic, because
A. I don't think this thread has been sitting here long enough to qualify me begging for attention elsewhere.
B. I think Off Topic may be flooded with Nordyke related stuff for some time, when the 2A mods begin deleting or removing the less relevant topics.
Old 04-21-2009, 9:10 AM

BTW, Airsoft can be a nice way to work on your fundamentals of grip, stance, trigger control, sight picture, etc... A number of competition shooters do use airsoft to practice, so it can help you too especially given your living situation (as long as airsoft isn't prohibited too!). However, you do need to have learned the fundamentals first so you know what to practice and don't start building bad habits or training scars -- so you'd want to start with that. Sorry can't help out myself, but another thing to consider is whether there are any basic courses being offered in your area (e.g. basic handgun, basic rifle, etc).
Old 04-21-2009, 1:39 PM

Well, airsoft is also banned. Anything mildly gun or knife related is banned. I build models out of paper and I got into a lot of trouble for making the frame of a 2/3 scale Glock. Otherwise, I'd have bought an airsoft and looked for empty fields to shoot it in, and/or a rubber band gun for messing around in the room. Maybe even one of these: Gun O'clock

I saw on the NRA site that classes are offered, but they require gun club membership and you to meet there. I don't have a car, so getting there is impossible, and my anti parents would go friggin nuts if I was spending the cash they gave me for tuition on range memberships, etc, and they keep a very tight lid on finances. I'm getting a job over summer, to help with that, though. If I don't hear back from any SB CalGunners, I'll be sure to take their rifle course when I get my first gun.
Old 04-21-2009, 1:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

OP - PM Jacques - He's in your area and should be able to help you out -
Old 04-21-2009, 1:58 PM

I will take you shooting. I also have several 10/22's as well as other rifles you can shoot.

I can also get you in touch of Rob Vance from Winchester Canyon Gun Club, who I belive is the person at UCSB that runs the club there. He is always up there with 30-40 students.

We will just have to find a time to meet and we can go up there and shoot. I have no problem with that. Let me know. I live close to UCSB (other side of freeway).
Old 04-21-2009, 2:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for popping in Jacques -
Old 04-21-2009, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigon1965 View Post
Thanks for popping in Jacques -
No problem. And he is 19, which means he can shoot at an Appleseed for free.
Old 04-21-2009, 2:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Even better -
Old 04-22-2009, 6:12 AM

Thanks, Jacques! I appreciate it.
I'm available any day except Thursdays and maybe this Saturday after 3, but I have class 12-1 MWF and after 5 TW. Whens good for you?
Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to try my hand at cleaning and maintenance.

Thanks for everyone elses', especially saigon1965's, help in this thread.
Old 04-22-2009, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWA-S View Post
Thanks, Jacques! I appreciate it.
I'm available any day except Thursdays and maybe this Saturday after 3, but I have class 12-1 MWF and after 5 TW. Whens good for you?
Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to try my hand at cleaning and maintenance.

Thanks for everyone elses', especially saigon1965's, help in this thread.
I will be working all this week, and through the weekend

However, next week is another story. Friday (5-2 sometime after 1 is a good time.) and Saturday or Sunday (5-3 and 4) anytime is good. Or even sveveral of those days.

I will PM you with my number.
Old 04-22-2009, 9:29 AM

Alright, responded by PM. All those dates and times are good for me.
Old 04-22-2009, 9:33 AM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Jacques is a great guy and you are lucky to hook up with him.
CalGuns is just freakin' awesome.
Jacques: infect this youngster with BRD. It's your responsibility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 AM

Default If only you were a bit closer...

I was lucky enough to have the coolest Dad in the world. He bought me my first firearm, a Browning T-bolt when I was five years old. Hopefully some Calgunners in the Santa Barbara area will help you out. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2009, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Jacques: infect this youngster with BRD. It's your responsibility!
BRD? Black rifle disorder? Is that when you rage intensely about the AWB and become fanatic about one side or the other of the whole AR15/AK47 debate? I'm leaning on the AR side myself, cuing flamewar.

Thanks for the luck, coilspring! That does sound like a pretty cool dad. I asked my dad for a rubber band gun when I was a kid, he got rather mad, saying stuff like "GUNS KILL PEOPLE" and "ONLY CRIMINALS HAVE GUNS." In retrospect, that could just have been the push to wind me up here.
Old 04-24-2009, 5:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Black Rifle Disease -
Old 04-24-2009, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWA-S View Post
BRD? Black rifle disorder? Is that when you rage intensely about the AWB and become fanatic about one side or the other of the whole AR15/AK47 debate? I'm leaning on the AR side myself, cuing flamewar.

Thanks for the luck, coilspring! That does sound like a pretty cool dad. I asked my dad for a rubber band gun when I was a kid, he got rather mad, saying stuff like "GUNS KILL PEOPLE" and "ONLY CRIMINALS HAVE GUNS." In retrospect, that could just have been the push to wind me up here.
Really busy here at work. Looks like another 80 hour week. But I will call you. Don't worry, I just didn't get home the last few days until late.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:18 AM

I'm also available. There are quite a lot of UCSB students on here, i'm surprised none has found this thread yet. Rob Vance puts on a GREAT shooting event but its only a couple times a quarter. I don't know the exact numbers, but the last event was crowded. I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 100 people. Join the SB Gun club group on facebook to get event invites.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques View Post
Really busy here at work. Looks like another 80 hour week. But I will call you. Don't worry, I just didn't get home the last few days until late.
It's no problem...I found out Wednesday night that I had midterms today. Take it easy, get work done, get some sleep/beer, and then hit me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD
I'm also available. There are quite a lot of UCSB students on here, i'm surprised none has found this thread yet. Rob Vance puts on a GREAT shooting event but its only a couple times a quarter. I don't know the exact numbers, but the last event was crowded. I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 100 people. Join the SB Gun club group on facebook to get event invites.
The more the merrier. Discuss phone nums in pm if you wanna get together sometime. I don't have a facebook, so I won't be joining the SB gun club group, I guess. I really haven't seen any pro 2A stuff around here; first time was yesterday when I saw that an aquaintance's roommate had posted "10 reasons to own a gun" on his wall. Looking to seeing if I can run into him. Getting rather tired of any gun discussion here being:
1. Me making a logical argument backed by statistics and *gasp* reason
2. "I dunno, brah, I think, like, there shouldn't be guns. Only the cops should have them, cause, like, they're bad, dude."
3. Go to step 1.
Would have been nice to party with some guys over Nordyke instead of me "F*** YEAH!"ing when I saw it in my room on CGN and every time Lou Dobbs brought it up.