Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 08-21-2010, 7:14 PM

Default 19 year old looking in to carbine classes

I really wanna take these classes, but im kinda shy about it haha, it seems awkward for a 19yo be taking a serious classes with much older men.
I wanna take one to learn, not to be looked at by men way above my age thinking its a joke :S sorry its the only way i could describe it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
efficiency in the kitchen.
Old 08-21-2010, 7:19 PM

It's all about how u act. Be respectful and pay attention and no one will look down on u. Act like a tool be treated like one simple as that
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 08-21-2010, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorhard View Post
It's all about how u act. Be respectful and pay attention and no one will look down on u. Act like a tool be treated like one simple as that
Yea thats what i had in mind, and like i said, im just there to learn not to say "your doing it wrong"
Quote:
Old 09-17-2010, 8:04 PM

I've been shooting three gun since I was sixteen and am always the youngest shooter by far. I have earned respect only by what the others have said. Shoot well, be safe, and know how to properly handle a firearm. You don't have to be a natural to fit in. If you show the characteristics I mentioned most people will be happy to help but be prepared to get ridiculed for your age. Trust me, I've been through more than my fair share. I wanted to participate in a Magpul carbine class when they came through Sacramento last summer and was not allowed to due to age (I was just on the brink of 18). Since you are of age you shouldn't have any legal trouble unless you are using a sidearm as well, then they may want a 21 year old to accompany you.
Old 09-17-2010, 8:07 PM

Is pumping a shotgun one handed immature?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret View Post
I really wanna take these classes, but im kinda shy about it haha, it seems awkward for a 19yo be taking a serious classes with much older men.
I wanna take one to learn, not to be looked at by men way above my age thinking its a joke :S sorry its the only way i could describe it
It's kind of a weird age. People still treat you like a kid, so you still sort of think of yourself as one. The reality is you're an adult now. So you have no need to feel weird about it.

Between 17-19 is the age when people enlist in the military. There are guys in Afghanistan fighting a war younger than you. So I think it is more than an appropriate age. Nobody will treat you weird because of it.

How you behave with regards to listening to the instructor, following instructions to the letter, safety issues, and how you treat others is going to have a lot more to do with how you are perceived than anything else.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW2Buff View Post
I've been shooting three gun since I was sixteen and am always the youngest shooter by far. I have earned respect only by what the others have said. Shoot well, be safe, and know how to properly handle a firearm. You don't have to be a natural to fit in. If you show the characteristics I mentioned most people will be happy to help but be prepared to get ridiculed for your age. Trust me, I've been through more than my fair share. I wanted to participate in a Magpul carbine class when they came through Sacramento last summer and was not allowed to due to age (I was just on the brink of 18). Since you are of age you shouldn't have any legal trouble unless you are using a sidearm as well, then they may want a 21 year old to accompany you.
Yea thats what im guessing will happen haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
It's kind of a weird age. People still treat you like a kid, so you still sort of think of yourself as one. The reality is you're an adult now. So you have no need to feel weird about it.

Between 17-19 is the age when people enlist in the military. There are guys in Afghanistan fighting a war younger than you. So I think it is more than an appropriate age. Nobody will treat you weird because of it.

How you behave with regards to listening to the instructor, following instructions to the letter, safety issues, and how you treat others is going to have a lot more to do with how you are perceived than anything else.
Thanks man!
Quote:
Old 09-19-2010, 12:11 PM

I think the military is giving out free classes.You might want to check with them 1st.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Some companies will have prerequisites before you can take the more serious classes. Start with the basic rifle and handgun classes to work your way up. No one should be immediately jumping into classes like "High Risk Contractor" or w/e unless maybe they are combat vets.
Old 09-19-2010, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs2714 View Post
I think the military is giving out free classes.You might want to check with them 1st.
Yea i checked them out, but the first thing i need to do is laser eye surgery, these contacts wont cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3239 View Post
Some companies will have prerequisites before you can take the more serious classes. Start with the basic rifle and handgun classes to work your way up. No one should be immediately jumping into classes like "High Risk Contractor" or w/e unless maybe they are combat vets.
Yea thats what i had planned, but good point.
Quote:
Old 09-20-2010, 8:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret View Post
Dude, you are an adult. Guys younger than you died on the beaches of Normandy. You are in the militia. You are an American. Those that respect you will not laugh at you.

CARRY ON!!
Old 09-21-2010, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

Join the Marine corps you get taught the same stuff and get paid for it.

To be American is to disobey.
Old 09-22-2010, 3:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroFox79 View Post
Join the Marine corps you get taught the same stuff and get paid for it.
Or just go to Front Sight, pay a few hundred and not sell your soul for a few years.
Old 09-23-2010, 8:54 PM
Internet 'Tough Guy'

^ Like those guys in Normandy?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
..."sell your soul"...
Very messed up way of looking at patriotism and serving one's country. If I were not so used to it living in the state I might actually be offended. Most of us who served are extremely proud of it. Trash talking it in any way is worse than trash talking our mothers. I get that it is not your cup of tea. But implying we "sold our souls" is not going to make you many friends, especially in the firearms community which has a very large number of current and former military guys. It's the old "know your audience" adage.

In any case, check out this thread. Imagine being 19 and able to tell your buddies..."Yeah, I trained with Delta Force"...and not have it be a lie!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...08#post5040008

Of course when I was 19 I was in the Middle East (and then later Europe) training with and deployed with Special Forces, Navy Seals and Marine Recon Units...but my role in that particular puzzel was extremely tame. It only sounds cool. The course described in this thread will actually be cool. It sounds like every other carbine course I've taken, but getting a chance to shoot with and talk with some real life Delta guys sounds like fun. All the black hat guys I've trained with were all pretty cool, and made for some fun stories...even when what we were learning to do was boring. To get that experience at 19 without having to join the military would be a real treat. Though personally, I believe serving in the military something we all should do. Peferably as an officer if you can pull that off. Life was a little harder as a grunt, but well worth it none the less.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-30-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Old 09-29-2010, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

I know when I was 19 I was in Iraq. I definitely did not see it as "selling my soul". Although we joked about it. It is being a proper citizen. Hell I think they should make it like in Starship Troopers, where military service makes you a citizen. But that is just me.
I could say more but it would just continue to piss me off. I guess thats what one starts to believe when they go to UCSD.

To be American is to disobey.
Old 10-01-2010, 6:35 PM

Dont get me wrong, I AM going to join the military soon... i feel it is a duty to do something for this country, for America.

Now after i said that, i forgot what i was going to reply to..
Quote:
Old 11-01-2010, 5:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
Or just go to Front Sight, pay a few hundred and not sell your soul for a few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
Very messed up way of looking at patriotism and serving one's country. If I were not so used to it living in the state I might actually be offended. Most of us who served are extremely proud of it. Trash talking it in any way is worse than trash talking our mothers. I get that it is not your cup of tea. But implying we "sold our souls" is not going to make you many friends, especially in the firearms community which has a very large number of current and former military guys. It's the old "know your audience" adage.

In any case, check out this thread. Imagine being 19 and able to tell your buddies..."Yeah, I trained with Delta Force"...and not have it be a lie!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...08#post5040008

Of course when I was 19 I was in the Middle East (and then later Europe) training with and deployed with Special Forces, Navy Seals and Marine Recon Units...but my role in that particular puzzel was extremely tame. It only sounds cool. The course described in this thread will actually be cool. It sounds like every other carbine course I've taken, but getting a chance to shoot with and talk with some real life Delta guys sounds like fun. All the black hat guys I've trained with were all pretty cool, and made for some fun stories...even when what we were learning to do was boring. To get that experience at 19 without having to join the military would be a real treat. Though personally, I believe serving in the military something we all should do. Peferably as an officer if you can pull that off. Life was a little harder as a grunt, but well worth it none the less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroFox79 View Post
I know when I was 19 I was in Iraq. I definitely did not see it as "selling my soul". Although we joked about it. It is being a proper citizen. Hell I think they should make it like in Starship Troopers, where military service makes you a citizen. But that is just me.
I could say more but it would just continue to piss me off. I guess thats what one starts to believe when they go to UCSD.
Nothing wrong with military service, I actually want to go into the Navy when I finish my degree. You both have read a little too deeply into this.
Old 11-01-2010, 8:53 PM

Meh. Military service works fine for some folks.

It ain't for everyone, though. And no, serving in the military does not make anyone more or less qualified to be a responsible citizen of the United States.

You should definitely not join the military if your main reason is to get experience with carbines.