Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
Depends on the kid. Some take instruction well and show competency at 8. Some at 12. Then there are some that can't at 21...
I totally agree with this. Depends highly on the child, one cannot assume any specific age to apply to all children as to when they can safely and maturely handle firearms for recreational shooting purposes, even with direct parent/adult supervision present with them. Safety first, always.
I would say earliest for my future children would be 5 or 6 years old, depending on their competency and understanding of the world around them, and not being 'out of it' for the dangers that firearms pose with misuse.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 12-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Hated View Post
so a good friend passed recently and my godson is now my responsibility. i want to get him into shooting but im not sure what age to start him at. he just turned 6. im gonna buy a 10/22 for him to start with but when should i start him shooting?

thank you much.
I think everyone has taken care of the shooting aspect...

I will just add my, God Bless You, for taking on such a vital role in a young persons life. :Salute:
Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 AM

I had my 5yo girl out shooting the other day. She has a .17 rifle that she shoots without any problems I sometimes think she is a better shot than me with that gun.

Like my Signature??? Want a custom Sig for free? Click the link and add your needs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=333574
Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verapakill View Post
I had my 5yo girl out shooting the other day. She has a .17 rifle that she shoots without any problems I sometimes think she is a better shot than me with that gun.
Shooting is a lot of mind control as well as trigger control...

Not many 5 year olds worrying about the rent/mortgage and the price of gas these days floating around in the back of thier melon.
Old 01-03-2012, 9:30 AM

Jr started shooting a Cricket when he was six and a half. He understood the safety aspect, rules, firearm operations so that was not the issue but he could not shoot accurately which made him frustrated to the point of quitting. Around seven and a half he started to understand the concept of aiming better and we moved to optics. He's now eight and has outgrown the Crickett so for Christmas we bought him a CZ452 Scout and a Redfield 3-9x40. He's shooting 1-2" groups at 50 yards.

For me the greatest challenge was when he was younger he could not hit the target consistently. He was frustrated for lack of good results so I had to provide a lot of encouragement for him to continue and not quit. I would say that was the biggest challenge for us starting him shooting early on.

Ohhh, and don't start them out at 50 yards (that's where I went wrong) LOL ... Also make it fun with steel targets, shinny, and things that go BOOM

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."

"The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!"
Old 01-05-2012, 8:08 PM

Sorry for your loss. It seems that you will carry on where the boys father left off - all the best for everything that comes with that responsibility.

+1 in regards to the maturity of the kid. My oldest was almost 6 when he put the first .22's downrange with a Crickett. Before that we shot lots of airsoft pellets in the garage out of an Airsoft M4 (collapsible stock all the way forward is about the right LOP).

My younger son is now almost 7 is starting to develop an interest in shooting. When I started looking around for a rifle for him, I came across the Savage Rascal . Same size as the Crickett, but with a significantly better trigger. According to a Lady in their CS dept. the first ones are scheduled to ship early March.

My older son meanwhile has developed an interest in pistols. The Walther P22 fits his hand perfectly.

Edited to add: Reactive Targets rule! We used large plastic coffee cans, filled with water and frozen overnight - every hit sends a fountain of ice flying
www.gebhardsolutions.com

Last edited by G-Solutions; 01-05-2012 at 8:10 PM..
Old 01-05-2012, 8:24 PM

I started shooting when I was about 11. I have taught my son about respect for the gun and the 4 safety rules since he was old enuff to talk. He knows he can always come and ask me to see the guns in the safe. He can pull them out check if they are clear and laydown behind them to practice his cheek well. This last summer he wanted to start shooting so i started him off with the pellet gun. He did well but not to excited about it. I just built a dedicated AR in .22 and took him to the range last weekend. He practiced everything I have taught hi and he did very well at the range. Once he got behind the trigger of the .22 he went thru about 700 rounds in an afternoon.

I have a feeling he is hooked now. By the way my son is 7 years old, I don't think it is ever to early to start them on the basic principles and respect for the weapons.

My daughter who is 10 just strted shooting last week and did great. It wa funny to see my son "the old pro" giving my daughter directions on how to operate his AR22. She knows the 4 safety rules as obeys them. I am pretty sure she is hooked and I will need to build her her own gun but pink. Lol.

Much respect to the OP for stepping up and showing your godson the ropes. I am sorry fr your loss but it sounds like you will make him proud by teach his son the ropes of life. God Bless.

just my .02

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 01-21-2012, 6:08 PM

Reminds me of when I took the hunter safety course. I believe I was 16 at the time and there were a range of other kids from about 8-12yo and a guy in his college years. Most of us "kids" did very well except for two, the 8yo and the college aged guy.

The 8yo just didn't have the attention span needed to focus and the critical aspects of hunter safety. The college aged guy? When we did the live fire drill he left his finger in the trigger guard as he brought the 20 gauge to his shoulder, exactly what the instructers said not to do. He ended up discharging a round which hit the trap box and was immediately failed.

Goes to show 'ready' depends solely on individual. Wow when I count the years this took place awhile ago, yet I still remember it clearly.
Old 01-21-2012, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

I have no children or even a wife, but I do have experience when you DON'T PAY ATTENTION.

Rule #1: The gun is ALWAYS loaded, even when it is not.
Rule #2: Keep the gun pointed down range and always away from self and others.

If someone (myself) had been a bit less overconfident when it came to the rules then I wouldn't have a bum right leg.

45 Long Colt does not so wonderful wonders to your health.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:07 PM

I fired my first shots at age 7. One of those great memories of childhood. While visiting my grandparents in Indiana during the summer of '71 my grandpa took me over to my uncle's farm with its large open space and taught me how to load and shoot his Nylon '66. We shot cans off fence posts and at ones we tossed in the creek that ran across the property. I had a ball. He taught me to always keep it pointed in a safe direction when not shooting, preferably down at the ground, to always check if it was loaded regardless of how certain I was, and to keep my finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

You have to know your own kid to know if he's capable of minding the simple rules of gun safety. If you think he's responsible enough to deal with a gun in a real way and not treat it as a toy then IMO that's how old a kid has to be.
Old 01-23-2012, 2:08 PM

ha this thread is still going. i ended up getting my godson a pellet gun for xmas. only to realize that he is far too small to shoot it properly. so for his birthday i've decided to buy him one of those lil chipmunk rilfes i learned to shoot with in boy scouts. maybe i should just saw a few inches off the stock of his pellet gun in the meantime.

Old 02-23-2012, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibanman View Post
Age is not the determining factor for me. Maturity is king. I taught my kids at 8 but there are kids in their teens that I wouldn't allow to shoot. It all depends on the child.
So true. When I was a kid, it seemed like 12 was a common age to start. My own daughter will turn 13 this spring -- I have yet to take her rifle shooting, but in the past year her ability to stay focused and make good choices has made huge leaps. So I'm going to start with her soon. We've done some archery for a couple of years, which has helped instill firing line discipline.

My nephew has a 10 year old son, and last fall the kid harvested a buck during Iowa's muzzle loader season -- for the fourth year in a row. My nephew has a reputation as a safety uber-fanatic, to the point that some of his friends refuse to hunt with him any more. Which recalls the point another poster in this thread made about watching the child and being 100% aware 100% of the time what is happening. Be like my nephew -- being safe nearly to the point of being a prick has something to be said for it, and it never has hurt my nephew's harvest.

Kind of on topic a kind of funny: One time visiting family back in Minnesota the topic of "guns in schools" came up. To quote my father-in-law: "We had pretty strict rules about guns in school, too. First off, you had to be at least in the 6th grade to bring a gun to school. You had to unload as soon as you got on school grounds. And there was no hunting during recess." Those were different times.
Old 02-27-2012, 2:49 PM

My 5yr old, with her new Savage 64, she started shooting around 3.5yrs old, I still drill her on safety checks before shooting.

Except for ending slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, WAR has never solved anything.

- (More info here)
Old 02-27-2012, 4:17 PM

I bought my son a Red Ryder last year and explain to him gun safety, how to handle and manipulate his weapon and he's actually gotten pretty good with it. I never told him I'd upgrade him, but I think it'd be a great surprise. I got an OLD Springfield (Stevens) single shot, bolt action .22. I plan on giving it to him for Christmas this year after I restore it. It's in pretty rough shape. I'll start a thread soon with pics
Old 05-06-2013, 9:34 AM

sticky?

Play. Play alone, play with your spouse, your kids, your friends. Just play.
Old 05-06-2013, 4:09 PM
Banned

There was a guy who brought his newborn to the range and you should've read the post's on that one
Old 05-06-2013, 4:12 PM
In Memoriam

My number is nine, but it is a carrot years before.
Old 05-06-2013, 6:52 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My boy shot his first gun at 5.
I bought him a Cricket when he turned 7.
He is 7 1/2 and now mostly shoots an AR15.22 but still likes to start off and finish with the Cricket.
This fall he will be shooting full auto.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 05-08-2013, 6:02 PM
In Memoriam

with my helping them hold my K22 so they wouldn't drop it in the mud,their first rounds were fired in the Eel river mud flats when they were 3 and 4
Old 05-08-2013, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

If it's old enough to crawl, its in the right position (prone shooting)
Old 08-03-2013, 8:18 PM

I just started with my youngest daughter. She's six and has a savage rascal which I highly recommend over the cricket. Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
If it's old enough to crawl, its in the right position (prone shooting)
Lol, “it's" old enough? We're talking about kids, not dogs.
Old 08-05-2013, 1:26 PM

Let's all just not confuse 'old enough to shoot' with 'old enough to be left unsupervised with a loaded rifle'.

When they kick in your front door,
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head,
Or on the trigger of your gun?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 PM

I started my oldest at 11 and my youngest earlier this year at the time she was 7. It all depends on the kid. Mine are complete opposites and have had my challenges with each. My oldest is more cautious and took time to get her comfortable with positioning and aim. My youngest is very confident and more stubborn to listen but was quicker to get settled and on target allot faster. Just start off with the safety basics and see how he handles that first then move on from there.
Old 08-11-2013, 3:14 AM
Veteran Member

According to Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo, most experts agree 10 and older, however YMMV with your child. It is up to you to determine when your child can cognitavely understand the responsibility of firearm use.
Old 08-14-2013, 3:10 PM

Any age really as long as they understand safety and you are there to be a parent and not let them run loose.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:03 PM

My daughters 4th Bday is today. She will be getting a bolt action single shot .22 cricket. As well as shooting glasses and hearing protection. I will work with her slowly before we ever put a round in it. My thought is start her young, wether she grows to embrace or hate firearms she will know how to operate and respect them.
Old 08-21-2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
My daughters 4th Bday is today. She will be getting a bolt action single shot .22 cricket. As well as shooting glasses and hearing protection. I will work with her slowly before we ever put a round in it. My thought is start her young, wether she grows to embrace or hate firearms she will know how to operate and respect them.
When I went to the hunter safety class at Raahauge's, one of the instructors told us he did this to his daughter as a child and she grew to love guns as an adult... But she ended up marrying a “bunny hugger" lol.
Old 12-07-2013, 7:50 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

BBgun from 8-10 years old. I think 10 for first 22 rifle and pistol. That way they look forward to it a little and are mature enough. At 11 I would buy their first rifle and make them lifetime NRA at 12.