Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 01-04-2013, 9:15 AM

Default FFL doesnt run the serial number on PPT ?

Hi FFL's,

I did a PPT just before Christmas as a present to myself. The seller and I met and did the required paperwork and we were both on our way.

My 10 day wait later I go to pick it up no problems but the dealer shows me the paperwork thats going to DOJ and lets me know there is no serial number on the paper going to them. OK ?

Why would that be ? I thought all serial numbers were ran at the time of sale to know whether or not its a stolen item ? does this sound right ?

He told me to keep a copy of the form I filled out as proof that I did abide by the law and did a transfer. Sounds good.
Old 01-04-2013, 9:20 AM

I have bought a few SKS long ago that a FFL had a hold on them because the local PD was running the serial numbers on them not the DOJ. I would have to look at my DROS paper work but never remember long guns being recorded but I could be wrong . I know all the hand guns serial numbers were recorded . I'm not a FFL but this is what I could remember .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Hi FFL's,

I did a PPT just before Christmas as a present to myself. The seller and I met and did the required paperwork and we were both on our way.

My 10 day wait later I go to pick it up no problems but the dealer shows me the paperwork thats going to DOJ and lets me know there is no serial number on the paper going to them. OK ?

Why would that be ? I thought all serial numbers were ran at the time of sale to know whether or not its a stolen item ? does this sound right ?

He told me to keep a copy of the form I filled out as proof that I did abide by the law and did a transfer. Sounds good.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If the FFL takes the firearm in on consignment, then the serial number is submitted as part of the requirements for a secondhand dealer.

The DROS does not include the serial number (currently) for long gun transfers.

It would be nice if there was an easy (non-LE) way to check to see if a firearm is stolen, but there isn't one, except for handguns.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-04-2013, 4:02 PM

This was not a consignment firearm. I work with a guy who's aunt was selling so he got us together for the deal. Hes a good guy but he kind of gave me the impression his aunt was umm how do you say of questionable morals. Anyway I thought through the

DROS process if anything was wrong (stolen or whatnot) it would have shown up ? I am in the clear in my mind as I went through a dealer. I got a good deal on a Remington 700 in 7mm mag nonetheless ($325) built in April 1977 still in nice condition.

Last edited by Tyson; 01-04-2013 at 4:05 PM.. Reason: Need to remember to double space.
Old 01-04-2013, 7:40 PM

Long gun serial numbers are only logged on the Federal form 4473 and in the A&D book. Both of those stay in the possession of the dealer unless the BATFE requests or inspects them. The DOJ is only determining if you can legally possess a firearm.
Old 01-09-2013, 1:15 PM

How about a handgun? I'm looking at buying PPT a pistol. What would happen if I'm buying a stolen firearm and didn't know? What happens to me/buyer/my money?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-09-2013, 1:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut232 View Post
How about a handgun? I'm looking at buying PPT a pistol. What would happen if I'm buying a stolen firearm and didn't know? What happens to me/buyer/my money?
The handgun serial number is submitted, so it is possible that they would notice it is stolen, but if it is, the police will get it from the FFL and the seller might be tracked down, but getting your money back would be your problem and it could be a problem.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by kemasa; 01-09-2013 at 5:57 PM..
Old 01-09-2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
The handgun serial number is submitted, so it is possible that they would notice it is stolen, but if it is, the police will get it from the FFL and the buyer might be tracked down, but getting your money back would be your problem and it could be a problem.
Why would they track down the buyer and not the seller?
Old 01-09-2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
I think both of them will be track down for questioning....
Old 01-09-2013, 5:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
One of those days. Fixed it. It would be the seller, not the buyer.