Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-21-2018, 9:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default OD green HK p2000 and Grey USP compact 9mm coming to CA

Saw this on Instagram and thought I'd share for the HK fans. HK releasing some new colored frames for our sad state.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_1d6b.jpg (7.9 KB, 329 views)
Old 09-21-2018, 9:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

sorry don't know what to tell you about the picture its clear as can be until uploaded here.
Old 09-21-2018, 4:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Good news is that they are both CA compliant. Bad news (for me) is that I don’t have the fund

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Yup, they were added to the roster two months ago.

https://www.oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca....entlyadded.pdf

roster.jpg

I'd like to know more about the Redhawks...these variants aren't yet listed on Ruger's site.

-- Michael
Old 09-21-2018, 7:02 PM

The green doesn't look that good to me. On the other hand, the grey model looks really nice. I have a couple more days to go to get a new USPc 9mm released with the grey frame. Very good looking gun.

I am confused, I thought no new guns could be added to the roster because of the impossible requirements. I guess color changes don't matter now? So confusing. When I saw the grey frame USPc 9mm on GunGenie.com available I jumped on it. Very nice looking gun.
Old 09-21-2018, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg30 View Post
I am confused, I thought no new guns could be added to the roster because of the impossible requirements. I guess color changes don't matter now? So confusing. When I saw the grey frame USPc 9mm on GunGenie.com available I jumped on it. Very nice looking gun.
Minor changes to existing guns already on roster can be added.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-c...ect-32030.html

-- Michael
Old 09-21-2018, 7:09 PM

I never cared about HK's in the past. I bought a USPc .40 a while back just to try one and changed the trigger to the LEM trigger. HK's are probably the best quality polymer gun I have ever shot. They are more expensive than Glocks. I love Glocks. But HK has a different feel and really good ergonomics. The guns feel like a high-quality gun right when you pick them up. It's good to see they are offering other options for their guns.
Old 09-21-2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
Minor changes to existing guns already on roster can be added.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-c...ect-32030.html

-- Michael
Thanks for the link, good information to know. As a man with common sense, reading what you posted in the link still makes me want to puke because the CA laws are so ridiculous and unnecessary.

Yet I am stoked to be able to buy a grey frame USPc 9mm. Awesome looking gun. Thanks CA legislators!

Last edited by jdg30; 09-21-2018 at 7:18 PM..
Old 09-21-2018, 8:06 PM

I'm a big fan of the P2000. I had a USP that I could never get a good grip. I'd be interested in an OD frame.
Old 09-21-2018, 8:10 PM

What are the biggest differences between usp and p2000?
Old 09-21-2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt2806 View Post
The P2000 is a little more ergonomical.

It is a really good gun but is not as versatile for changes like the USP is. The uSP can take trigger changes where the p2000 can't.

They are both really good guns, the USP is more versatile for modification.

I held and shot both guns before I decided and bought. I preferred the USPc over the p2000. It felt really good to me in hand with the flat grip with no finger grooves. I hate finger grooves.
Old 09-21-2018, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Biggest differences:

- P2000 has standard rail and USPc has proprietary rail.

- P2000 has interchangeable blackstrap and USPc does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 8:58 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-21-2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
Yup, they were added to the roster two months ago.

Attachment 740739

I'd like to know more about the Redhawks...these variants aren't yet listed on Ruger's site.

-- Michael
Blued Redhawk again?
or, new barrel construction? (like 357 RedHawk)
Old 09-21-2018, 10:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmk20398 View Post
Blued Redhawk again?
or, new barrel construction? (like 357 RedHawk)

-- Michael
Old 09-21-2018, 11:38 PM

Coyote Point Armory in Burlingame has the P2000 in OD green, saw it a few days ago.
Old 09-22-2018, 7:10 AM

Quote:
HK's are probably the best quality polymer gun I have ever shot. They are more expensive than Glocks. I love Glocks. But HK has a different feel and really good ergonomics. The guns feel like a high-quality gun right when you pick them up. It's good to see they are offering other options for their guns.
I could not agree with you more. I bought an HK 45C in Dec of 2014, one week before the single shot exemption ended. Amazing piece of machinery. I just picked up a P2000SK for ccw, great gun as well. I just can't say enough good things about these guns. You guys can have your Glock's, I'll take an HK any day.
Old 09-22-2018, 1:31 PM
On The Edge
CGN Contributor

I own G21 and HK45c.
Took my son out for a .45acp day.
He fires Glock then HK. Looks at me and says, "Sell the Glock".
Like anything you need to work with it to use it well.
For years I've threatened to sell of off the collection and just keep one of everything to become proficient. Pistol, revolver, SG, Rifle (lever, bolt) 22 R/P. Then I think to myself....that's just crazy talk!
-g
Old 09-22-2018, 3:19 PM

I have 2 HK USP9c's already. May be adding a third!! Looks good. Love my HK USP9c's. Fact you can keep cocked and locked is good option for me as I started shooting w 1911's.
Old 09-22-2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
The P2000 is a little more ergonomically. It is a really good gun but is not as versatile for changes like the USP is. The uSP can take trigger changes where the p2000 can't.

The P2000 trigger can absolutely be changed to various variants. Although with a caveat; not officially supported by HK on some variants (ie v3 to CDA (LEM).
Old 09-22-2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
I own G21 and HK45c.
For years I've threatened to sell of off the collection and just keep one of everything to become proficient. Pistol, revolver, SG, Rifle (lever, bolt) 22 R/P. Then I think to myself....that's just crazy talk!
-g
I love this. Good point, thank you.
Old 09-22-2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
I own G21 and HK45c.
-g
I own the HK45c and to me it's night and day between a USP45c.
Thou it's off roster.
Old 09-22-2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
P2000 has ambi slide release.

USPc has better trigger.

P2000 has smooth grip, USPc has textured grip.

P2000 has spurred hammer, USPc has bobbed hammer.

P2000 has rear decocker, USPc has side decocker.

USPc has thumb safety.

P2000 was made for police, USPc was made for militry.
Old 09-22-2018, 9:47 PM

P2000 has several variants. Some have a spurred hammer, some are bobbed.

Various trigger and cocking systems offer the possibility of converting the trigger firing mode from one type to another. Several variants are available based whether the Combat Defensive Action (CDA) aka Law Enforcement Modification (LEM) mechanism is used versus a SA/DA trigger. The following options are available:

V0: CDA/DA trigger system. The CDA aka LEM trigger is a dual-stage trigger that always fires from a hammer down DA mode, but has an internal mechanism that is cocked with each cycle of the action. It provides a cocked double-action trigger pull of 20 N (4.5 lbf) (+4/-2 N) and an uncocked double-action trigger pull of 51 N (11.5 lbf) (±5 N).
V1: Same as V0, but hammer has no spur, and there is no decocker button; therefore, the only way to release the cocked mainspring is to pull the trigger over the empty chamber.
V2: Same as V1 but with an increased trigger weight. The trigger pull is 32.5 N (7.3 lbf) (±2.5 N).
V3: SA/DA trigger with a decocking lever mounted at the posterior of the slide to the left of the spurred hammer. Single-action trigger pull of 20 N (4.5 lbf) (+4/-2 N), double-action trigger pull – 51 N (11.5 lbf) (±5 N).
V4: Same as V1 and V2 but with a mid-range trigger pull of 27.5 N (6.2 lbf) (±2.5 N).
V5: Double-action only (DAO) trigger system. Trigger pull of 36 N (8.1 lbf) (±3 N).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_P2000
Old 09-22-2018, 11:15 PM

What’s the selling point for HK compared to other CA polymer pistols? Why would I want one over a Glock, XD, or the Sig polymer? Just curious. The HK mag release bugs me. I think Glock, XD, and Sig are all a lot cheaper.
Old 09-23-2018, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digelectric View Post
What’s the selling point for HK compared to other CA polymer pistols? Why would I want one over a Glock, XD, or the Sig polymer? Just curious. The HK mag release bugs me.
About the mag release, the best way to use it is with the MIDDLE finger of the shooting hand. Gripping the pistol normally, the middle finger will arch downward. That happens to be exactly the direction the release wants to move, and the tip of the middle finger will sit right on top of the release lever.

This leaves your support hand free to insert a new magazine into the HK. If a mag change takes you over a second with an HK, you’re doing something wrong or you’re just out on a Sunday cruise.

The selling point? What’s the difference between a Hyundai and a BMW or Mercedes? The numbers may look similar but the cars are very different. And you have people who rave about their BMW or Mercedes. Not so much about Hyundai. You really need to try one but only after you get your prejudging mode turned off.
Old 09-23-2018, 7:12 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What’s the selling point for HK compared to other CA polymer pistols? Why would I want one over a Glock, XD, or the Sig polymer? Just curious. The HK mag release bugs me. I think Glock, XD, and Sig are all a lot cheaper.
HK is very high quality. Smooth shooting, excellent triggers, very accurate, extremely reliable, etc. You will frequently see the automobile analogy where buying an HK is like getting a tricked out Porsche or something whereas getting a Glock or M&P or XD is like getting a Toyota or Honda or Nissan.

The HK mag release seems odd at first but when you train with it you realize it's:

a) just as fast as a push-button mag release, and:
b) completely ambidextrous without having to make any modifications whatsoever.
Old 09-23-2018, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
About the mag release, the best way to use it is with the MIDDLE finger of the shooting hand. Gripping the pistol normally, the middle finger will arch downward. That happens to be exactly the direction the release wants to move, and the tip of the middle finger will sit right on top of the release lever.

This leaves your support hand free to insert a new magazine into the HK. If a mag change takes you over a second with an HK, you’re doing something wrong or you’re just out on a Sunday cruise.

The selling point? What’s the difference between a Hyundai and a BMW or Mercedes? The numbers may look similar but the cars are very different. And you have people who rave about their BMW or Mercedes. Not so much about Hyundai. You really need to try one but only after you get your prejudging mode turned off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
HK is very high quality. Smooth shooting, excellent triggers, very accurate, extremely reliable, etc. You will frequently see the automobile analogy where buying an HK is like getting a tricked out Porsche or something whereas getting a Glock or M&P or XD is like getting a Toyota or Honda or Nissan.

The HK mag release seems odd at first but when you train with it you realize it's:

Ever since the purchase of my HK 45C, it quickly became my favorite gun - for all of the obvious reasons listed. With the recent purchase of my P2000SK, the first thing I did was swap its smaller mag release to the 45C mag release. The P2K release is smaller. I still don't understand that one, but nonetheless... cheap and easy change. I love my HK's!
Old 09-23-2018, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
You really need to try one but only after you get your prejudging mode turned off.

No prejudgment. Rented them twice. Seem good but the USP is $1000. Is the price justified? If so what is worth the extra $$ for you?
Old 09-23-2018, 9:49 AM

Quote:

Yes Glock is like a Toyota (or insert another boring yet reliable car brand in the sentence).

Is the main difference between the USP and P2K the rail and grip texture? I think the mag release is a little different, too, yeah?
Old 09-23-2018, 9:52 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes Glock is like a Toyota (or insert another boring yet reliable car brand in the sentence).

Is the main difference between the USP and P2K the rail and grip texture? I think the mag release is a little different, too, yeah?
Mag release should be the same between the USP and the P2000. It's the HK45 that has a different mag release, which is a different pistol from a USP .45. (confused yet? ) The P2000 also comes with three different grip backstraps, which obviously may or may not help depending on how well your hand fits the stock grip. The USP doesn't have replaceable backstraps.
Old 09-23-2018, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Mag release should be the same between the USP and the P2000. It's the HK45 that has a different mag release, which is a different pistol from a USP .45. (confused yet? ) The P2000 also comes with three different grip backstraps, which obviously may or may not help depending on how well your hand fits the stock grip. The USP doesn't have replaceable backstraps.

I personally like the more aggressive checkering on the USP grip.
Old 09-25-2018, 4:27 PM

I fondled an O.D. green P2000 v3 today. It looked so good in green.
Old 09-25-2018, 8:36 PM

I’m the biggest HKfanboy around, I went from dating multiple gun brands to being married to HK.

Best dang guns around. I almost exclusively a LEM person just because I prefer the same trigger pull every time but I have a few da/SA. You can’t go wrong with any HK but honestly if u are worried about the price just get a p2k. Decently priced and IMO a better gun than a uspc (que argument). Usp was designed in the late 80s/early 90s around the 40 caliber round. P2k are newer and designed based off the usp.

If u get a p2k I recommend the hk45 mag release as well. It’s a 5$ part and takes literally a minute to install.

Last edited by fuzz415; 09-25-2018 at 8:40 PM.. Reason: phone typos
Old 09-25-2018, 11:16 PM

Nice that HK is thinking of us in Kommiefornia.
It's also nice that Glock keeps the Gen 3 alive for us too.

Would be nice if we had access to all the modern and up to date guns they offered.

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Old 09-26-2018, 5:05 AM
Gravity Sucks
CGN Contributor

I wish guns would keep falling off the roster until there’s nothing left...maybe then, people would take a stand. I’m tired of taking the leftovers while the rest of the country get all the new stuff. The roster is a back door ban.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 09-26-2018, 7:10 AM
Veteran Member

Sportsman Supply on Camden in Campbell had one about a month ago, they wanted $749

Old 09-26-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

My HKs are some of my very favorite pistols---the P2000 9mm (DA/SA) is just about perfect size---my P2000sk 9mm (light LEM) is a great smaller pistol and my 45C is my favorite 45---that's all folks!