Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-10-2018, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

Default Anybody else doing a 2000 round challenge right now.

Just started one on my early 2016 production Colt M45A1. Currently only at 450 rounds fired, should get at least another 100 fired this week. So far no stoppages, malfunctions or breakage.

The gun had 1150 rounds fired when I started so she is good and broke in, did a good clean and lube before I started. Used M7 to clean and Rem oil for lube with a small amount of grease on the rials.

All the ammo I am using is my 230 and 200 gran plated reloads, W231 powder and CCI primers. I have just as much confidence in my reloads as I do with cheap factory trianing rounds, but will say the 231 can be a bit on the dirty side. After only the 450 rounds fired she is filthy, but have not noticed any sluggishness in the recoil. These Colts are built loose, shake it and itís like a rock in a tin can.

Should note that the stock dual recoil spring has been replaced with a Wilson flat recoil spring and short guide rode, the stock mainspring housing has been replaced with a Ed Brown MSH and magwel, these changes have over 600 rounds fired with them before the test. Everything else remains Colt stock.
Old 09-10-2018, 4:33 PM

What are the peramiters for the challenge?
Old 09-10-2018, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonBear723 View Post
What are the peramiters for the challenge?
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ound-Challenge

ó Michael
Old 09-10-2018, 4:41 PM

2,000 rounds is not that many to go without cleaning and expect a gun to work. I've done this with both 1911s and at least three of the glocks I own. I suppose if anything, it would give you a lot of confidence in your gun. Especially if it's your EDC.

The only reason I'd hesitate to do that now is its so much harder to find good deals on ammo because you can't ship it.

Good luck you those doing it.
Old 09-10-2018, 5:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Easier to do with a .22 but you’ll get a lot of stoppages!

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 09-10-2018, 6:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
2,000 rounds is not that many to go without cleaning and expect a gun to work. I've done this with both 1911s and at least three of the glocks I own. I suppose if anything, it would give you a lot of confidence in your gun. Especially if it's your EDC.

The only reason I'd hesitate to do that now is its so much harder to find good deals on ammo because you can't ship it.

Itís just something to do, I donít put a ton of stock in it and it really doesnít make me trust a gun any more or less.

Youíd be surprised how many guns of all makes do not go the full 2000 without a stoppage of some sort, many are shooter induced. But a stoppage is a stoppage, still counts against the gun as far as this test goes.

The only other gun I have done it with was a Glock Gen 3 35, again with my reloads. She went all the way to 2200 before I stopped, even did about 500 with a light on it.

Always wanted to do it with a 1911, a lot of people want to add oil during the test but that is a no no canít add any during the test.

Iím one of those people that clean their guns after every range day, so itís a little tough for me at first. But Iím also a big time logger of my range and trianing days so itís fun for me to keep track of it.

Iíll do follow ups on this post from time to time as the rounds pile up.
Old 09-10-2018, 7:37 PM

I did this before it was cool. It's called being lazy after range days and just not cleaning my guns. Not sure if I ever made it to 2000 rounds but definitely over a 1000 rounds with no hiccups.
Old 09-10-2018, 8:02 PM

I always do 2700 rnds with any new gun for CCW / competition or tactical trianing...

- field strip, clean and lubricate and reassemble
- 100 rounds of duty / defense ammo (currently Federal HST 124 gr +P)
- 2500 rnds FMJ
- 100 rnds duty / defense ammo
- field strip, clean and lubricate and reassemble

Gun must function without stoppage or malfunction. I have never had a stock service pistol fail. nor would I expect one to. Guns that I have subjected to this test;

- customized Springfield SS 1911
- customized Colt SS Combat Commander
- SiG P220
- Sig P226
- Sig P228
- HK VP9
- Gock 19

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 09-10-2018 at 8:05 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
2,000 rounds is not that many to go without cleaning and expect a gun to work.
Agree with this. I don't consider it a "challenge," any decent gun should work fine without cleaning for at least a few thousand rounds; if it doesn't I'd question owning it unless it was a family heirloom or a collector piece
Old 09-10-2018, 8:39 PM

I have no intention of ever cleaning my G19 unless I've just been in a sandstorm or went swimming with it.
Old 09-10-2018, 8:48 PM

I did do this test on several pistols past 3 years.

One that failed miserably was the MP9. Guide rod cracked. Replaced no more issues. Currently testing the glock 19x and gen5 17
Old 09-10-2018, 9:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter95 View Post
I did do this test on several pistols past 3 years.

One that failed miserably was the MP9. Guide rod cracked. Replaced no more issues. Currently testing the glock 19x and gen5 17
Interesting on the M&P, I was thinking about doing one of mine next. All of mine except the Shield have at least an Apex trigger and sear. Wanted to do the test with an Apex gun, on one of mine I adjusted the trigger bar loop a little too much. Causing at least one light primer strike every 50 or so rounds. I have since closed the loop some and the problem went away. Also wouldnít mind testing my gen 5 19, although a lot of them have already been run though it so lots of info on them.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
I have no intention of ever cleaning my G19 unless I've just been in a sandstorm or went swimming with it.
Yeah ok, but why? If a dirty gun work well then certainly it will run even better if itís clean. I sort of like cleaning guns.

I have heard a theory though that running a gun dirty helps smooth it out as the crap will be like lapping compound on tight parts. But on a Glock that doesnít sound right.

Old 09-11-2018, 1:54 AM
Gravity Sucks
CGN Contributor

Any stock pistol should be up to this challenge. 2000 rounds isn’t that much.

But I definitely didn’t think 1911s could go dry that long. I was under the impression that 1911s were finnicky that way...especially the tighter built ones. But I don’t know.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ĎTil Valhallí...
Old 09-11-2018, 2:12 AM

No...and there is no reason to. I just shoot, track the rounds and note performance. Then I take it to a class.
Old 09-11-2018, 6:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The longer it takes the shooter to reach the 2K goal the bigger the chance of a malfunction.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 09-11-2018, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Itís just something to do, I donít put a ton of stock in it and it really doesnít make me trust a gun any more or less.

Youíd be surprised how many guns of all makes do not go the full 2000 without a stoppage of some sort, many are shooter induced. But a stoppage is a stoppage, still counts against the gun as far as this test goes.

The only other gun I have done it with was a Glock Gen 3 35, again with my reloads. She went all the way to 2200 before I stopped, even did about 500 with a light on it.

Always wanted to do it with a 1911, a lot of people want to add oil during the test but that is a no no canít add any during the test.

Iím one of those people that clean their guns after every range day, so itís a little tough for me at first. But Iím also a big time logger of my range and trianing days so itís fun for me to keep track of it.

Iíll do follow ups on this post from time to time as the rounds pile up.
If you use a good grease on a the rails you can make it to 2,000 with a 1911. I use only mobil 1 and got a few thousand rounds in each of my 1911s without failures. I would imagine the grease would have taken it a bit further.
Old 09-11-2018, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Does the magazine have to be loaded to the maximum each time or can you load half mags?
Old 09-11-2018, 8:30 AM

i’ll get started on this challenge with my Pietta 1851
Old 09-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
Does the magazine have to be loaded to the maximum each time or can you load half mags?
Donít see why not, itís not mentioned in the rules of the testing. I imagine you could go with a single round in the mag if you wanted to, but that would be long and tedious.

But it would not be an accurate representation of how you use your gun, do you normally just shoot with a partially loaded magazine.

The overall goal is not to find a way for your gun to meet the challenge, but to learn any weaknesses your gun may have. If you already feel your gun will not do well with a full mag, youíve already identified a weakness.

I like the test because I rarely ever let a gun go beyond 400-500 rounds without a really good cleaning. So it allows me to see a aspect of a gun I never really see, how it runs when itís filthy and dry.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

I average about 2000 rounds a month through my Tanfoglio S2 pracitce gun every month. My comp gun gets another 250 to 300 a month. My wife averages 2000 rounds every 2 months. We've been doing that for quite a while. Reloading has been the pain in the AdamSamSam.

On a side note I haven't cleaned my practice gun this year and can't recall when I cleaned it last year. I know I cleaned it once last year. It still runs great and never misses a beat. Just a few drops of motor oil here and there every once in a while.
Old 09-11-2018, 6:43 PM

Storm Vet: with W231 you have to have enough pressure for the powder to burn right.

Try 5.7 gr of W231 with a 230gr plated or powder coated bullet.

Mine wipes clean easily with a paper towel. If you want dirty, try Bullseye which was the goto powder for .45 ACP for 75 years.

You definitely had to clean your gun after use.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 09-11-2018, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
I average about 2000 rounds a month through my Tanfoglio S2 pracitce gun every month. My comp gun gets another 250 to 300 a month. My wife averages 2000 rounds every 2 months. We've been doing that for quite a while. Reloading has been the pain in the AdamSamSam.

On a side note I haven't cleaned my practice gun this year and can't recall when I cleaned it last year. I know I cleaned it once last year. It still runs great and never misses a beat. Just a few drops of motor oil here and there every once in a while.
You sound like a great candidate for a mark 7 auto-loader unit!

Old 09-11-2018, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

I remember how dirty bullseye was, I was never a big fan of it. Been using 231 for a long time. I use 5.5 g with 230, I’ll try bumping it up to 5.7 next time.
You know the culprit might be my 200 g loads I only run 5.8 in them, think I might go up to 6.1.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

great deals on ammo being shipped to my house

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 09-12-2018, 5:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
You sound like a great candidate for a mark 7 auto-loader unit!
I have a 1050 with a Mr. Bullerfeeder.. I can easily pump out over 1000 an hour...The big time suck is cleaning and sorting brass. But I have thought about an autodrive.
Old 09-12-2018, 6:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just started one on my early 2016 production Colt M45A1. Currently only at 450 rounds fired, should get at least another 100 fired this week. So far no stoppages, malfunctions or breakage.

The gun had 1150 rounds fired when I started so she is good and broke in, did a good clean and lube before I started. Used M7 to clean and Rem oil for lube with a small amount of grease on the rials.

All the ammo I am using is my 230 and 200 gran plated reloads, W231 powder and CCI primers. I have just as much confidence in my reloads as I do with cheap factory trianing rounds, but will say the 231 can be a bit on the dirty side. After only the 450 rounds fired she is filthy, but have not noticed any sluggishness in the recoil. These Colts are built loose, shake it and itís like a rock in a tin can.

Should note that the stock dual recoil spring has been replaced with a Wilson flat recoil spring and short guide rode, the stock mainspring housing has been replaced with a Ed Brown MSH and magwel, these changes have over 600 rounds fired with them before the test. Everything else remains Colt stock.
Look at post #9 in the thread you linked
Old 09-12-2018, 7:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
Look at post #9 in the thread you linked
Nice and one of the first in the original post about TGís test, very cool.
Old 09-12-2018, 7:51 AM

Default Done

Did this with my Glock 17 ages ago.
Qualified effortlessly
Old 09-12-2018, 10:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
I have a 1050 with a Mr. Bullerfeeder.. I can easily pump out over 1000 an hour...The big time suck is cleaning and sorting brass. But I have thought about an autodrive.
I have the same. I could go faster but I'm OCD about looking into the case after powder drop for fear of squibs, even though the Dillon powder dropper is pretty darn reliable.

Cleaning brass with a wet tumbler isn't bad. The way I sort now is to use the "gold panning" brass sorter with the .380 plate to ditch as many .380s as possible, but then when I have a container full of clean mostly 9mm, I use the plastic rack from a factory ammo box and pour brass into it, they tend to fall into the holes mouth upwards. Then I scan it for sneaky .380s and then looking into them to see the nefarious stepped brass, which gets extracted and seperated.

For .45, sorting out spp is a PITA.

Old 09-12-2018, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

Up date. Put 100 more rounds though the Colt this morning, 200 grain plated round nose with 5.8 grains of W231. For a total of 550 rounds fired.

And my first stoppage, round number 511. On a fully loaded eight round mag(Wilson ETM)had a failure to chamber from slide release, a mag slap finished chambering the round and no more issue.

Seems to be cycling a little more sluggish but that could just be my mind saying this. Gonna try to find time to put a few more rounds down range with it tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2018, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nice and one of the first in the original post about TG’s test, very cool.
I also got a pin for getting an "advanced" time on the F.A.S.T. drill. It's a shame we lost him, he was a great instructor.
Old 09-12-2018, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

I wasn’t aware my normal shooting routine was a ę*challenge*Ľ. I get a new gun and shoot it till it absolutely requires cleaning. My HD guns stay clean. The rest get shot till they jam. Most guns these days are cheap and reliable so I don’t waste my time babying them.
Old 09-12-2018, 6:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
I also got a pin for getting an "advanced" time on the F.A.S.T. drill. It's a shame we lost him, he was a great instructor.
Congrats on earning a FAST pin, thatís a hell of an achievement.

Yes he was taken far too soon, the shooting world certainly lost a great one.
Old 09-12-2018, 8:27 PM
Veteran Member

My daughter has a Rock Island Tactical 1911. It has 700 rounds without a cleaning and not a drop of oil. And hasn't had any issues. She wants to see how long it can go before it needs cleaning.
She didn't shoot the 700rnds non stop, she does a couple hundred at a time and then puts it away dirty. Months later repeats.
I know its not non stop shooting BUT when you put it away, the dirt seems to cake on even worse. I think she went about 300rnds in one session.
One reliable 1911 in my opinion. Very nice shooter. I paid $400 for it I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettM99 View Post
Any stock pistol should be up to this challenge. 2000 rounds isnít that much.

But I definitely didnít think 1911s could go dry that long. I was under the impression that 1911s were finnicky that way...especially the tighter built ones. But I donít know.
Old 09-20-2018, 9:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Buy me 2K rounds of 10mm and I'll get right on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Update now at 770 rounds fired and had my second stoppage at round number 751. Just like the first stoppage that occurred at round number 511, it was a failure to chamber. Only this one was not from slidelock release it happened on round 2 of the magazine. But just like the first stoppage a mag slap send the round the rest of the way home.

A pic of the Colt along with the Glocks that were also shot that day.
Old 09-22-2018, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

that FDE fam looks good
Old 09-22-2018, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej6fade View Post
Agree with this. I don't consider it a "challenge," any decent gun should work fine without cleaning for at least a few thousand rounds; if it doesn't I'd question owning it unless it was a family heirloom or a collector piece
Not picking on you in particular. I generally see lots of comments like this but yet much fewer who claim to have actually done it.

Everyone says they like owning 'shooters' while really only owning a bunch of safe queens with '200 rounds down pipe.' Just an observation
Old 09-22-2018, 9:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcage View Post
Not picking on you in particular. I generally see lots of comments like this but yet much fewer who claim to have actually done it.

Everyone says they like owning 'shooters' while really only owning a bunch of safe queens with '200 rounds down pipe.' Just an observation
I agree, stoppages and failures happen. For many different reasons, I think most people just justify it for whatever reason ammo, grip, mag whatever and forget it even happened. My gen 3 Glock 23 had a FTF the other week, that gun is a runner it surprised me. Reloaded the round and sure enough it ftf again. The round was the cause, but still the gun had a stoppage.

If someone tills me they never have any stoppages, Iím thinking yeah you donít shoot enough.