Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 09-10-2018, 7:22 PM

Default Reloading Carcano 6.5x52...any hints/help would sure be appreciated

hi, i have an old Carcano 6.5x52 that was sporterized way before i ever got it.

I only shoot paper.

Would appreciate some reloading help.

I was told that the Lee dies for some reason weren't very good for the Carcano. I was also informed that standard 6.5 bullets were too small and that i should look for something bigger.

I don't make my own bullets.

I checked Brownells and MidwayUSA but didn't seem to find all that much there, though Midway did have Hornady dies on backorder.

Where could i source the appropriate size bullets? Also which powders seem to work well for that caliber.

thanks
Old 09-11-2018, 2:00 PM

""I was told that the Lee dies for some reason weren't very good for the Carcano. I was also informed that standard 6.5 bullets were too small and that i should look for something bigger"'

No offense but sounds like you do not know much about reloading, what you said makes no sense. Maybe you should ask who ever told you this for more information.
Old 09-11-2018, 2:05 PM

what you state may or may not be correct I do not load that round BUT unless you know why maybe you should start with a cartridge that would / will be easier to start with. If the Carcano is that complicated it would be for a advanced reloader then and best to avoid if you are a newbie.

Good luck
Old 09-11-2018, 3:29 PM

Thanks, no offense taken.

Likely i didn't describe the situation appropriately. I obtained the information regarding the poor suitability of the Lee dies from the following text: http://personal.stevens.edu/%7Eglibe...mo/reload.html I have no personal experience with these dies as to date all my reloading has been done with the Forster system.

The bore diameter of the 6.5 Carcano is generally related to be .268 inch as opposed to the standard 6.5 mm/.264 inch

Many of the references and sources listed appear old and as such many of the options for securing projectiles etc are no longer available. Similarly some newer powders might prove favorable. As such I'm hoping to gain some more experience/information.

I found some Hornady dies that seem reasonably priced. I also found a source for jacketed Hornady bullets...just wondering what other's use or might prefer.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 09-11-2018 at 3:35 PM..
Old 09-11-2018, 6:32 PM

ah so understand much better. Maybe that round is better suited to cast booltes where you can adjust the size better. Worse case is that they have lousy accuracy and rattle down the barrel. What are factory bullets sized at? maybe pull one and measure it? Push a soft lead "slug" down the barrel and measure what you have maybe luck out and have one the right size.

The site you listed looks pretty complete even with bullet mfgs I would start with what that guys says, or also google around old C+R forums will have some good info.
Old 09-11-2018, 6:34 PM

sound like a oddball caliber with a maybe cult like following that they get into the weeds a bit. But that is cool what makes reloading fun.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:17 PM

Thanks. It's a fun project as it was already sporterized prior to my obtaining it so i'm learning to bed the rifle, repair/reblue/restore the finish, improve the quality of it's function and learn to optimize a load for it.
Old 09-11-2018, 8:10 PM

Grafs has the Hornady die set in stock.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ywords=Carcano
Old 09-11-2018, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

I have some hornady bullets if you are intetested. In the 951.
Old 09-11-2018, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Gunboards has much more information about this. That being said, i've reloaded 6.5x52 with mixed results. Depending on when your rifle was manufactured, standard .264 bullets may work just fine. The wive's tale about them requiring .268 bullets is mostly due to carcanos having deeper grooved rifling, and earlier-manufactured ones having gain-twist rifled barrels. If your rifle was made in the '30s-up you'll likely do just fine with .264.

Furthermore, most of the guys i've talked to that used the hornady ammo with the .268 bullets said they showed signs of overpressure.

Lee dies are just fine and work great. If you feel the need for it you can acquire a .268 expander for them at minimal cost but they come with .264.

Do not load boat-tail bullets, carcanos prefer a flat-base bullet with a long bearing surface. Most folks prefer the 160gr which is available in .264 or .268. I'd recommend using the .264.

Buy some Prvi Partizan 123gr ammo and shoot it first to try it out. Aim LOW. If it shoots ok, you'll have no trouble with .264 bullets.
Old 09-11-2018, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

6.5x52 does NOT like ball powder as i found out. I had ignition problems and wild variations using BL-C(2). I would recommend a medium-slow-ish extruded powder like 4064. I'm working up a new load with a 120gr flat-base bullet and 4064 to try out. I'm actually trying to re-create the Prvi Partizan 123gr load because it shot amazingly well in one of my cavalry carbines. May brother and I were banging a 2'x1' steel plate at about 450yds pretty consistently, even with the crappy sights.

Also, Prvi brass has a better extractor groove than Norma, and is also a ton cheaper. And get as many clips as you can for it because some don't work all that great. PM me if you have any other questions. I'm not an expert but I'm in contact with some on the regular and am happy to help out.
Old 09-12-2018, 6:16 AM

Wow, thank you all so very much. that info helps so very much. Ultimately going to try both the .264 and the .268 caliber 160 gr bullets, with caution for over pressure. If i can find some.

It's been a long time but if i recall i didn't have the greatest experience with Privi in my Carcano with respect to accuracy. Thankfully i saved some of the brass, just have to find it. Will have to secure some clips as well.

Good to know about the Lee dies, they're a good bit cheaper than the Hornady.

Knucklehead0202, appreciate the offer of help. As i obtain the various components i bet i'll have more questions.

GBA, i sent you a PM
Old 09-12-2018, 7:15 AM
Veteran Member

Prvi makes 2 loads for the 6.5x52. The 123gr soft-point uses a flat-base bullet, whilst the 139gr is a FMJ boattail. I could barely hit the ground with the 139 but the 123 shot exceedingly well, at least in 1 of my carbines. The idea is that the flat-base bullet upsets and fills the rifling better. The way it's been explained to me is that while these rifles tend to have a slightly larger groove diameter, most have very tight bores at the lands, which makes for a bit of a balancing act when choosing bullet diameter.

As Bruce mentioned, shooting cast bullets could make this much easier but you have to go through all that hassle too. I don't cast and likely won't anytime soon, so i try to find something that works and is readily available.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post
Wow, thank you all so very much. that info helps so very much. Ultimately going to try both the .264 and the .268 caliber 160 gr bullets, with caution for over pressure. If i can find some.
You can slug the bore with an appropriately sized egg shaped fishing weight, that will give you a good read on which bullet would be a good fit.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 09-12-2018, 3:02 PM

thanks...will try to slug the barrel this weekend.

now i've got to find a couple of clips for the rifle, thought i had one but for the life of me i can't seem to find it.
Old 09-12-2018, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post
thanks...will try to slug the barrel this weekend.

now i've got to find a couple of clips for the rifle, thought i had one but for the life of me i can't seem to find it.
Available on Amazon and E-Bay, i thing they are new reproduction.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 09-12-2018, 7:58 PM

thanks...i never thought about looking on amazon for gun parts. i'll check just now
Old 09-12-2018, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

Got a bunch on ebay myself. If you live close by i could sort you out with a few. Hate shipping them though. Almost have to use a box to avoid smushing them and then it costs more.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

watch this;

Ian explains some of the "bullet size" issues; Plus it's a fun thing to watch

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 09-13-2018, 12:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justMike View Post
Grafs has the Hornady die set in stock.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ywords=Carcano
Grafs also sells .268 bullets, made by Privi Partizan in 123 and 139 grain weights. Use one of those.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 09-13-2018, 2:22 PM

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

Barrel, trigger and receiver are spic and span. Still have to figure out how to clean and disassemble the bolt, i bet there's a video out there...just have to do a little more searching. Cleaned up the stock a bit as well, i'm really enjoying the Dem Bart checkering oil. So easy to use and does a nice job.

I went to Grafs and ordered a Hornady die set and projectiles, Hornady has a promotion going so hopefully i'll get some more projectiles in the near future.

I went to Numrich and picked up a clip and then went to Brownells and picked up some MarineTex. I had already 20 cases from a box of Privi Partizan i shot a long long time ago.

Can't wait to bed the rifle and try it out.

Wonder if there is an optic mount for the rifle...more searching is in order.
Old 09-13-2018, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

Problem with mounting optics is it blocks access to load a mannlicher clip. In the old days they made side-mounts that were offset. This is the company that did the mounts/scopes that were on Oswald's rifle. Not sure if they still do the mounts but you can try them. http://retting.com/
Old 09-13-2018, 7:56 PM

might try a barrel ring mount that has a picatinny rail...Barska has a couple of models that might work?
Old 09-13-2018, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Doesn't sound like a great idea. Does your rifle have an adjustable rear sight or the fixed one? Some folks have made scout mounts by modifying a scout mount made for a Mosin. They are available cheap on amazon or ebay.
Old 09-15-2018, 3:39 PM

The rear sight is a ramp type / adjustable. Looks like the horns on a viking helmet. Absolutely awful for shooting paper targets, at least with my eyes and experience. Hence my desire for an optic.

Maybe it's better on the battlefield and for younger eyes.

Got to look more carefully at the scout mount options. appreciate the information
Old 09-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

You should be able to make a scout mount work then. Have you got any pictures of the rifle? My only concern would be if somebody cut down a '91 long rifle. If the barrel had too much cut off then you lose the tightest part of the gain-twist rifling. There's as much chance that you have a later rifle that didn't have that but i would definitely wonder.