Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 04-24-2010, 8:40 AM

Default Laser eye surgery and the military?

Hi everyone,

I'm a graduating college student and I'm considering commissioning as an officer in the armed forces. I've done a good deal of research on the subject, but I can't find anything solid about each branch's policies with laser eye surgery done prior to commissioning.

Unfortunately, I was born with bad eyesight and laser eye surgery is something I plan on getting done very soon. I know Uncle Sam has waivers and can do this for free for certain individuals, but I plan on getting it done myself.

I tried contacting the local Army and Marines recruitment offices, but I'm stuck on their voicemail. Can anyone in the know (any branch, any MOS) answer a few quick questions?

1) I am looking at OCS/OCC at the moment. Will having my surgery done prior hurt my chances of getting a slot at OCS/OCC?

2) I am planning on competing for a spot in infantry and HSLD type stuff. Will having PRK done affect my chances?

This is a serious consideration for me, so please only respond if you are confident in your answers. Recruiters or people in similar circumstances is preferred.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFall View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a graduating college student and I'm considering commissioning as an officer in the armed forces. I've done a good deal of research on the subject, but I can't find anything solid about each branch's policies with laser eye surgery done prior to commissioning.

Unfortunately, I was born with bad eyesight and laser eye surgery is something I plan on getting done very soon. I know Uncle Sam has waivers and can do this for free for certain individuals, but I plan on getting it done myself.

I tried contacting the local Army and Marines recruitment offices, but I'm stuck on their voicemail. Can anyone in the know (any branch, any MOS) answer a few quick questions?

1) I am looking at OCS/OCC at the moment. Will having my surgery done prior hurt my chances of getting a slot at OCS/OCC?

2) I am planning on competing for a spot in infantry and HSLD type stuff. Will having PRK done affect my chances?

This is a serious consideration for me, so please only respond if you are confident in your answers. Recruiters or people in similar circumstances is preferred.
I was talking with an Army recruiter about a warrant officer commission for a 153A MOS... they told me LASIK is approved, provided it's been over 2 years since the procedure... I'd assume PRK is acceptable as well.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:23 AM

I would check with your recruiter. The type of eye surgery you can get a waiver for depends on the mos.
Old 04-24-2010, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Are you color blind? Can you see red/green? Lasik and prk are good to go, theres a wait time after the surgery, ill check the reg on monday and get back to you with the time. If you are color blind or red/green deficient, you will be disqualified from Army OCS. Other things to consider are your gpa and physical fitness.
Old 04-24-2010, 2:11 PM

NO! don't do it until you enter the military. For navy and marines it is an auto disqualifier with a need for a waiver to get into the military. MUCH more paper work and headache to go through prior to entering the service. (I've had to fill out forms, I'm an optometrist) MUCH easier to enter the military then get an in-service waiver from your CO to have the PRK or LASIK procedure.

here is an article about corrective military policy
http://library.ndmctsgh.edu.tw/milme...stions_and.htm

Look at number 7 for new accession. Again army might have different policies but better to be safe then sorry.

Last edited by cvgunright; 04-24-2010 at 2:15 PM..
Old 04-24-2010, 2:20 PM

okay found the army policy. Sounds like it is easier to get a medical waiver once you are IN the army then when you are a civilian trying to get in.

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/doem...EYESURGERY.pdf
Old 04-24-2010, 10:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did it and never told a soul. No problems, no paperwork. Did it on a 96. Everyone though I was just wearing my contacts until I was overseas. Then it was too late for them to say anything.
Old 04-25-2010, 6:48 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll continue to try to contact recruiters and consider my options.
Old 04-25-2010, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Google-

AR 40-501 chap 2-12

Your answer is there.
Old 05-03-2010, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

My vision uncorrected used to be 20/400 practically blind lol, I wore my contacts over in Iraq, I always took my glasses out in sector with me just in case and only had to do the swap once.

Shortly after I came home I had PRK done on my own dime and am now 20/15. From what I've heard over the years, and it may be in AR 40-501 that CavTrooper posted, that they tend to frown upon Lasik if you try and go into aviation but that PRK is GTG. I'm no eye doc so I couldn't tell you why, just what I heard.

I will say that it sucks wearing contacts in a hide for extended periods of time, I remember losing one during a combat swim in PA once too.

Thankfully I'm a picket fence now for phules
Old 05-08-2010, 10:07 AM

From the navu/marine side. Lasik will disqualify u from many high speed stuff like seals halo fighter pilot etc. Prk is gtg. I got llasik doe before the Marines and got n easy waiver. Nowadays though there trying to cut down on manpower since were oversized so I imagine a waiver might be more difficult. Good luck dude
Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 AM

The difference between PRK and Lasik is PRK they do the "resurfacing" of your eye on the top of your cornea. they shave off the top and then use a laser to resurface it so when your cornea heals will be as strong as it was before the surgery. Where as Lasik cuts a flap in your cornea and does the SAME resurfacing of the cornea under a flap of cornea (which allows for faster recovery time). But now you have a flap of cornea that will never be as strong as it was.
Lasik is not a DQ from SEALs anymore (NASA even approved it) just needs a waiver like PRK and 6 month wait, but that is a relatively new change. I just don't trust Lasik for High speed indiv. Jumpin, diving, fist fights... just a personal opinion, that flap is a liability.

Last edited by Trey1191; 05-08-2010 at 10:56 AM..
Old 05-10-2010, 6:53 PM

My buddy is hoping to get a SEAL contract, and just had PRK instead of Lasik because PRK was a 6month wait whereas Lasik was a 1year wait. Just my little input.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 PM

They're both 6 months now to the best of my knowledge and from what I have been told by BUMED.
Old 05-11-2010, 7:34 AM
California Major

Default No Problem

Unless you are looking into Aviation, you should be fine.