Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Default Separate SS Pins

Using SS pins to wet tumble brass. What is the best separation method/equipment? Hand separating looses its excitement as round counts go up.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:55 AM

I made a screen, that goes over one end of my Franklin tumbler, that keeps the pins and cases in the tumbler, so I can rinse and drain well before dumping the whole mess into my rotary separator, and that seems to work well, for straight wall pistol cases. I haven't tried it on bottle neck cases....
Front Sight DG
CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: CA & AZ
Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack
Old 08-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor

I stack two gold sifting pans on top of a 5-gallon bucket, standard Home Depot Homer bucket.

The top pan, on which the brass gets poured out, is this one; 1/4" mesh:

https://ww.amazon.com/gp/product/B008B0T5Z2

The bottom pan, which catches the pins, is this one, 1/50" mesh:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP3D50S

It works well and they're inexpensive. I use the Frankford tumbler, and it's completely full each time I use it. The pans are plenty high enough to contain everything.

I recommend the transfer magnet that Frankford sells; no matter what method you end up going with, this will make things a lot easier:

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars.../dp/B00HTN659G
Old 08-09-2017, 11:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use this. It works very well. Just dump the brass and pins into the top nested tray and shake side to side and forward and back
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...dia-sifter-set

Quote:
pistol noun pis·tol \ˈpi-stəl\

1: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
I'm happy to help people who have specific questions, but I ignore threads that begin with the command "school me". Go "school" yourself, buddy.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:15 PM

I use a Franklin Arsenal media separator since its excellent at separating SS pins INSIDE the brass.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/frank...ping_connexity
Old 08-09-2017, 12:58 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...ia%2Bseparator

I use the Cabelas media separator, which is the same as several other variants, however, the trick is to fill it with water first!

I do the whole operation in our spare bathroom shower. I fill the separator up about 3/4 full with water, put in half of the squirrel cage, and then dump everything from the tumbler in (the brass, the pins, and the dirty water). The squirrel cage is now full, and the separator is full to the brim (albeit the water is now dirty, doesn't matter though). Then I attach the other half of the squirrel cage and slowly twirl it about 10 rotations one direction, and 10 the other. Then I remove the cleaned brass and pour the water out (the SSM stays at the bottom of the separator if you pour it out slowly).

It's vital the squirrel cage be submerged or semi-submerged in water for the media to fall out when separating.
Old 08-09-2017, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

I use an RCBS tumbler. I rinse and drain the brass a couple times to remove the soap film, dump 'em in and spin in both directions and the pins come right out. Out of a batch of say, 500 pistol cases, I will get two or three stragglers that get baked with the brass, and get picked out when I bag it up.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 08-10-2017, 7:24 AM

I use the Frankford Arsenal bucket-and-basket rotary job. I was a little skeptical at first, but it works quite well. I, too, was dumping and rinsing by hand, but it got old pretty quickly. The FA (and I suspect, the Cabela's/RCBS/whoever) tumbler separates the pins in a minute or so of spinning.
Old 08-12-2017, 5:56 AM
Veteran Member

I used to use the plain Frankford Arsenal media separator, the kind you shake around. That didn't work very good at all. Took forever and I was still left with a lot of pins stuck inside of my cases.

Decided to try the spinning media separator-https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Quick-n-EZ-Rotary-Seperator/dp/B004J4B2IW

This works AMAZINGLY well for me. I have a Frankford tumbler and use the strainer insert and dump into a 5 gallon bucket to rinse and get a lot of the pins out first. I rinse until I get somewhat clean water (this helps keeping the brass from tarnishing as there's no residue). Then, I fill the bucket with clean water to the top and then put that media separator on the top of the bucket. Pour out maybe 1/2 of the brass and then spin one direction and then the opposite, and all of the pins will come out. Worked flawlessly for a while for me.

Made me a much happier reloader!!!
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-12-2017, 6:01 AM
Veteran Member

I use the Lyman Turbo media separator. http://www.cabelas.com/product/LYMAN...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 08-12-2017, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
I use the Lyman Turbo media separator. http://www.cabelas.com/product/LYMAN...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I use something similar, different brand same idea. Others have said you need to have water in the outer bucket, so that the basket is running partially submerged, but I haven't found that to be necessary, at least with straight wall pistol cases. YMMV
Front Sight DG
Old 08-12-2017, 6:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJackKin View Post
I use something similar, different brand same idea. Others have said you need to have water in the outer bucket, so that the basket is running partially submerged, but I haven't found that to be necessary, at least with straight wall pistol cases. YMMV
Hmmm...I've never tried it without water, but I would think that water cohesion would make it harder for the SS pins to fall out. May be time for a test.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-12-2017, 8:45 AM

My craptastic video on cleaning out the pins. I suck at video production.

Basically a 2 gallon pail and a walmart strainer. Works great for straight walled cases. Necked cartridges need to be removed from the water neck down and ten checked, but you need to checked all cartridges for debris anyway regardless of method.

https://youtu.be/s0APi6GiNXc
Old 08-12-2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Hmmm...I've never tried it without water, but I would think that water cohesion would make it harder for the SS pins to fall out. May be time for a test.
Water loses its surface tension when you get rid of air. Pins will fall out freely when submerged.

If you want to test, stick your wet hand in pins, and hold vertically. Then place your hand in water.
Old 08-12-2017, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
Water loses its surface tension when you get rid of air. Pins will fall out freely when submerged.

If you want to test, stick your wet hand in pins, and hold vertically. Then place your hand in water.
Yup, that's what I was thinking why you needed the water. Perhaps I didn't use the right term (cohesion), but surface tension was more accurate.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-12-2017, 9:55 PM

I use an rcbs media separator. I fill it up most the way with water and then dump my tumbler contents into the clamshell basket. Rotate for maybe 30 to 45 second. All the pins are at the bottom of the separator and the basket is full of brass. Then I use a transfer magnet to transfer pins back to the tumbler. I run 15 pounds of pins per load and this works well for me. I'm running some brass tomorrow. I will try to remember to record it so I can post an example.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 1:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

I grabbed this and,well, have a look at the result. Lyman only told me thanks. Too bad that happened.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B005I0K5CA

So Lyman is garbage... I heard that RCBS is better, but I think RCBS would say Gimmie your address where Lyman just said- Aw that is a bummer dude...

These are probably the best way to do it. That or the Dillon 12000 or whatever it is called.

I have one of those too, but damn it is big. Cost me $75.00 too... GREAT for .22lr, but the smaller ones are better.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- When you see somebody crying, go up to them and ask if it's because of their haircut...

Last edited by stilly; 08-13-2017 at 2:04 AM..
Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Smile

i use my rcbs dry media separater tumbler.
just the bottom half of the "bucket", and this all fits in my utility sink.
buy a number of the "bar" magnets at el-cheapo tools.

to dry:
summer i have this wire rack outside,
winter in a food dehydrator.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:26 PM

I use a sifter system, two pans from the 99 cent store. I have only used this on straight wall pistol cases and has worked great with water submerged cases. Similar to the midway system but much cheaper.
Old 08-15-2017, 8:03 AM

Forgot I bookmarked these guys while back.

Steel sifters, not plastic.

https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/...lessbucket.php

Also have plastic and the 2 pack shipped is like $24 which for 2 I think beats amazons price. I don't think these can stack on top of each other over a bucket in in order to pour brass and pins and collect the brass on top and pins in basket below. They might, I'm trying to figure that out.

https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/filters5gallon.php

I have the FA media tumbler that works well washing the brass after a tumble. Fill bucket enough with water so the brass gets washed and pins fall to bottom.

My struggle is not losing pins when trying to conserve the water during transfers. I find the water can be used a few times, especially the water in the bucket to clean and separate pins.

I picked up the big dillon separator used (impulse buy) and need to see if one will be for wet tumbling and the other for dry tumbling and deburring after a trimming.

Last edited by Psychbiker; 08-15-2017 at 8:13 AM..
Old 08-15-2017, 8:25 AM

I made a short video to give you an idea of how I do it.

https://youtu.be/QXDB0EFkH78

This is how I do it with my rcbs media separator. Had to hold the camera with my knees so be kind.

Last edited by Sapperforward; 08-15-2017 at 8:35 AM..
Old 08-15-2017, 8:49 AM

Sapper; that is pretty much the same as the FA separator, except the FA uses a 5 gallon bucket with handle cutouts rather than the proprietary "bucket" (for lack of a better word) that the RCBS has.

I suspect the FA uses a *lot* more water than the RCBS you showed. I was going to look into getting a 3 or 2 gallon bucket, but have yet to search for them (they need to have the same diameter as a 5 gallon, and then need a cutout for the handles to ride in.)
Old 08-15-2017, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
I made a short video to give you an idea of how I do it.

https://youtu.be/QXDB0EFkH78

This is how I do it with my rcbs media separator. Had to hold the camera with my knees so be kind.

That's kind of how I do it, but for straight walled pistol cases, I haven't needed the water in the bottom bucket. I know others have said it works better that way, but I honestly haven't had to do that. I get 99.8% of the pins out doing it dry, the rest (5 or 6 pins) come out in the towel on which I do the preliminary drying.

I do need to get Stilly's pins, just haven't gotten around to it yet.....
Front Sight DG
Old 08-15-2017, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
Sapper; that is pretty much the same as the FA separator, except the FA uses a 5 gallon bucket with handle cutouts rather than the proprietary "bucket" (for lack of a better word) that the RCBS has.

I suspect the FA uses a *lot* more water than the RCBS you showed. I was going to look into getting a 3 or 2 gallon bucket, but have yet to search for them (they need to have the same diameter as a 5 gallon, and then need a cutout for the handles to ride in.)
I got my rcbs media separator online at Wal-Mart using ship to store for $30.

Old 08-15-2017, 7:10 PM

So far nothing has really worked well for me on bottle necks . Right now the cheap-ee thing from Frankford is what I am using . I did find if you add more soap , the pins come out of bottle necks easier .
My Frankford has the sides , and I tried Velcro with the reefier magnets - after rinsing put magnet on Velcro - the magnets are not strong enough - cases know the pins down .
I did find there are a few different sink disposal strainers . A small mesh one for rinsing and the larger mesh for trying to get pins out .
So far the Frankford magnet works best .[ put a plastic bag over magnet , reverse bag and clean pins are in a bag - I end up with 5 or 6 bags ] After rinsing more water with more soap seems to help in the bottle necks . Then they go into a bunt cake pan and on top of vibrator
Old 08-15-2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjr View Post
So far nothing has really worked well for me on bottle necks . Right now the cheap-ee thing from Frankford is what I am using . I did find if you add more soap , the pins come out of bottle necks easier .
My Frankford has the sides , and I tried Velcro with the reefier magnets - after rinsing put magnet on Velcro - the magnets are not strong enough - cases know the pins down .
I did find there are a few different sink disposal strainers . A small mesh one for rinsing and the larger mesh for trying to get pins out .
So far the Frankford magnet works best .[ put a plastic bag over magnet , reverse bag and clean pins are in a bag - I end up with 5 or 6 bags ] After rinsing more water with more soap seems to help in the bottle necks . Then they go into a bunt cake pan and on top of vibrator
My setup leaves no pins in my bottle neck cases. I have yet to find a straggler. But I tumble them twice in my RCBS media separator. Once to try to get all the pins out. It takes about 45 seconds of constant rotation. And then a second time as an addition rinse after changing out the water. On the second rinse I might find a couple pins in the bottom of the media separator.

Also all the cases are deprimed before I tumble them.

Last edited by Sapperforward; 08-15-2017 at 8:19 PM..
Old 08-16-2017, 6:30 AM

I also deprime 1st .
I am at the point that it is easier to clean the corn / nut out of cases .
The only time I use pins is when there is already cases in the vibrator .
Since I deprime 1st , the sizing pin knocks out the stuff in primer pocket .
Old 08-16-2017, 6:39 AM

I use a spinning media separator with lid similar to what others have posted. I don't put any water in the separator and the pins come right out. I use the FA pins and have never had a stuck pin that I know of, I've done .25acp, 9mm, 38, .41mag, .44mag, .45acp, .223, .308, .338WM and probably others. I learned on the first round that if you don't close the lid pins will jump out so use the lid.
Old 08-16-2017, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestrictedColt View Post
I use a spinning media separator with lid similar to what others have posted. I don't put any water in the separator and the pins come right out. I use the FA pins and have never had a stuck pin that I know of, I've done .25acp, 9mm, 38, .41mag, .44mag, .45acp, .223, .308, .338WM and probably others. I learned on the first round that if you don't close the lid pins will jump out so use the lid.
If you use water you don't need the lid on.

Old 08-18-2017, 3:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
I grabbed this and,well, have a look at the result. Lyman only told me thanks. Too bad that happened.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B005I0K5CA

So Lyman is garbage... I heard that RCBS is better, but I think RCBS would say Gimmie your address where Lyman just said- Aw that is a bummer dude...

These are probably the best way to do it. That or the Dillon 12000 or whatever it is called.

I have one of those too, but damn it is big. Cost me $75.00 too... GREAT for .22lr, but the smaller ones are better.
I have the RCBS, it looks the same, but is green. I HATE the way that the clamshell works/doesn't work. The axle is half on the bottom, half on the top so it must be closed but when you put wet cases on it, the clamshell rotates and it's just awkward. IMHO.

I've started to just not use pins. Clean enough.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 08-19-2017, 12:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
I have the RCBS, it looks the same, but is green. I HATE the way that the clamshell works/doesn't work. The axle is half on the bottom, half on the top so it must be closed but when you put wet cases on it, the clamshell rotates and it's just awkward. IMHO.

I've started to just not use pins. Clean enough.

That top part is to protect you and save your pins from flying out. Also it dampens the sound a little.
There will still be water in cases and the centripetal force will fling out pins and the water. You can go MUCH faster with the clamshell closed and sealed (make a gasket if there is not one yet) then with an open top. MUST faster.

I hear you on the clamshell. But it is all such a small enclosure that the water used is minimal in comparison to the FA that sits on top of a bucket.

Honestly- If you can, REINFORCE that clamshell design. I broke the Lyman POS Turbo Media seperator after ONE use. Yeah I had about 600+ 9mm shells in it, but still... It broke.

RCBS, if it is stiffer would be a better choice IMHO.

Heh, Ideally a Forged Aluminum or THICKER fiberglass/resin enclosure would be best, or just a forged Aluminum bottom half, or maybe just reinforced posts that hold the pegs on the sides of the separator.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- When you see somebody crying, go up to them and ask if it's because of their haircut...

Last edited by stilly; 08-19-2017 at 12:44 PM..
Old 08-19-2017, 2:20 PM

Well . I just ordered the rcbs Media separator [ green one ]
I guess I will see if there are still pins in the bottle necks and if it will work for corn cob media and the nut media .
I had a hard time last night with the 308s .
I put the 45s in vibrator and nephews showed up . We decapped the 308s and threw in the tumbler and went to eat .
After drying in dehydrator , there were still pins in the cases when I lubed them .
I found a few more this morning when resizing -