Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 07-28-2017, 7:08 PM

Default My first backpacking tent! Vargo stove, fatwood, and hiking action!

I usually car camp and bring really heavy gear with me, but this summer I decided to venture deeper into the woods and try to see what lies beyond the road. At 5 lbs this tent isn't considered "ultra light" by any means. Next time I'm going to leave the tent pegs and tent footprint at home to save space.

In the video, we backpacked to a place in Southern California called Little Jimmy Campground. The only water came from a natural spring! We found fatwood, the Sikly BigBoy made sawing firewood really easy. I also tested out a Vargo Titanium stove with mixed results.

What I really like about this tent is that it's relatively light, waterproof to a high rating, and lots of ventilation. The rain fly goes all the way down and helps keep the wind out, big plus for me since I get cold easy. Only negative for me is that there's only one door so it's hard not to disturb your tent mate.

For me, it's the perfect size for my me and my girlfriend. I like keeping my gear inside the tent and leave our boots in the vestibule right outside the front door.

If anybody is interested here's the video review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HvFpRS2cPQ

Last edited by adventure_sworn; 07-28-2017 at 7:13 PM..
Old 07-28-2017, 7:23 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Try a Caldera Stove Kit

Laughs at the nastiest weather

Multi fuel options

Good looking tent
Old 07-30-2017, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Try a Caldera Stove Kit

Laughs at the nastiest weather

Multi fuel options

Good looking tent

Looks like a fun DIY project, thanks for the suggestion! The wind guard looks 100% windproof
Old 08-04-2017, 1:50 AM

Don't leave the footprint behind if you want your tent to last. Use titanium pegs. Spendy but light. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 08-04-2017, 3:15 PM

Cool video, thank you for sharing.
Old 08-04-2017, 3:46 PM

The caldera cones set is pretty nice. Light weight and easy to use. Just can't turn it off.
Old 08-04-2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
Don't leave the footprint behind if you want your tent to last. Use titanium pegs. Spendy but light. PAX
Thanks for the tips brother, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j15w View Post
Cool video, thank you for sharing.
Thanks so much brother, that's really nice of you to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long View View Post
The caldera cones set is pretty nice. Light weight and easy to use. Just can't turn it off.
I really like the wind protection on it, looks like it's quite a burner.
Old 08-04-2017, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice video OP! Been thinking of doing an over nighter myself just for something different. Thought the Firebox was pretty cool and I might buy one. Also made me get out my 30 yr old Svea 123R and give it a test. Flames around the filler cap told me the seal needs to be replaced but other than that it worked like a champ.

Hard to find just a basic video. Seems everyone wants to tell you how many times they scratch their *** and pick their nose. Its not as loud as it seems in this video and it never let me down.

https://youtu.be/sWw2w34WxlU

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-07-2017, 9:02 PM

My pa had one of those and they are bomb proof. I'm running my 28 year old wisperlite international and a Olicamp Kinetic Ultra Titanium stove depending on the trips needs.

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown
Old 08-08-2017, 9:14 AM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

My 1st light weight tent I made from 5 mil plastic.
It was little more than a heavy trash bag
But she had a screen window duct taped in the back wall and used a string running through the top to hang it and a big rock in each corner to keep the floor space open.
Used to keep it in the glove box of a chevy spectrum.
had about $5 wrapped up in it , ... early 1990's money
Those were the days
Old 08-08-2017, 9:57 AM

My lightweight backpacking tent is an ENO tarp shelter, (housefly) supported by my trekking poles. I also have a ENO hammock sleeping setup with rain fly, house fly, and bug net. I sometimes bring a footprint to sleep on.
I sleep in a 40 degree Kelty sleeping bag.
My Kitchen is Snow Peak Titanium.
Cooking is done on a $10 butane/propane burner with piezo igniter attached to a 8oz gas container. At higher elevations I switch out to white gas and a coleman single dual fuel stove.

I have an entirely different setup for camping and hunting.
Old 08-11-2017, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Yea a Svea 123 makes reassuring real stove noises in the night time camp.
Old 08-15-2017, 1:19 PM

My SVEA 123 is over 50 years old. It has never let me down. The little tank holds about 6 oz. of fuel, there are no moving parts except for the fuel valve. Nothing to wear out. It burns full blast for about 45mins and will boil 2 quarts of water in about 6-7 mins. You can still buy new versions of the SVEA and they work well but are not nearly as nice as the original Swedish made version. (https://www.campmor.com/c/optimus-sv...RoCfTkQAvD_BwE) You can find original Swedish SVEA 123 on eBay but, expect to pay a premium price for a good one. Collectors are driving the prices up.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

Speaking of fatwood. Rush lights burned rushes or in other areas they burned fatwood, depending on the local vegetation.

So fatwood was in almost every house except the rich who could afford candles. Candles were expensive during the middle ages. Rush lights were free to fuel, you gathered wood or rushes.

So fatwood is a very traditional way to make light. And about the best choice for survival lighting when and if there is no longer much civilization left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush light

Last edited by Darto; 08-20-2017 at 10:03 PM..
Old 08-21-2017, 12:33 PM

I'll also be doing my first backpacking hunt up in Oregon and found that the 1-man tent I got fit be almost as tight as the mummy bag. .
Old 08-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Not a mod or lawyer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Looking forward to watching this video after work when I can turn up the sound.

Sounds like you had fun. The more you backpack, the more you learn what you're looking for in your gear, and what kind of gear you do and don't need.

It's a great hobby - almost the perfect hobby, really. Great exercise, tests your skills, enjoy nature, peace and quiet, bonding with whoever you're with, etc. etc. It's really hard to beat. I almost can't stand car camping anymore, backpacking is so much more rewarding, in my opinion.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 08-25-2017 at 11:36 AM..