Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 PM

Default Pillsbury airport

Anyone been there lately? I want to take my jeep full of guns up there, do some shooting and trail riding, but haven't been in many years. Is it still cool to set up a long range target on the air strip? I'd like to go before "outdoorsmen" start crowding the place up, so I'm thinking next month. If more than a few are using the "range" are there other nearby open, flat-ish areas to set up some 100-300 yard targets?
Thanks for any info/advice!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM

B U M P...
Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 PM
In Memoriam

Haven't been there in years so don't know.

Was just at Cow Mountain, the same as always.
Old 02-20-2013, 8:12 PM

Wow I haven't been there for like 20 years

ejected from my Mosin.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbascom View Post
Wow I haven't been there for like 20 years

ejected from my Mosin.

Interesting. I had the impression this was a somewhat popular place due to being able to set up long range targets in a flat open area.

Last edited by JoeFaz; 02-22-2013 at 2:03 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 AM
CGSSA Wine Country Chapt.
CGN Contributor

Poke around on the forums. I believe this are is still good for what you want to do.

I did read a thread regarding a "federal agent" that came by nearby shooters and inspected weapons for legality. If I recall this was in December, right after Sandy Hook.

I think if you are legal, smart and did I already mention SMART? You will be fine.

PM me for a member that may know for sure.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I haven't heard about it being shut down or anything. I just know LE rolls through because it is a well known place to shoot, so I generally shoot elsewhere.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM

Haven't been in pilsbury in years.. But I just. Been in cow mountain I donate 2 steel targets to keep the garbage down... I thinking about making more and set them at 25,50,75,100+ yards. So people don't have to bring garbage to shoot at.. )
Old 02-22-2013, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
I haven't heard about it being shut down or anything. I just know LE rolls through because it is a well known place to shoot, so I generally shoot elsewhere.
Cool, thanks. Not concerned with LEOs. I'll have nothing with me that would raise an eyebrow. (Plus, I've been one for nearly 40 years m'self)...
Old 02-26-2013, 1:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFaz View Post
Anyone been there lately? I want to take my jeep full of guns up there, do some shooting and trail riding, but haven't been in many years. Is it still cool to set up a long range target on the air strip? I'd like to go before "outdoorsmen" start crowding the place up, so I'm thinking next month. If more than a few are using the "range" are there other nearby open, flat-ish areas to set up some 100-300 yard targets?
Thanks for any info/advice!
As long as you keep your trucks off the runway (there are roads for ground-bound vehicles) I'm good with anyone going.

However, keep your ground-bound arses OFF the runway. It's a public-use airport and is still used by pilots, even if I can't fly there any more. I have lost count of how many a-holes in ground-bound vehicles I've cussed out over driving on the runway. If you're not in an airplane, you are NOT entitled to be on the runway. Keep your arse off.
Old 02-26-2013, 1:12 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-22 View Post
As long as you keep your trucks off the runway (there are roads for ground-bound vehicles) I'm good with anyone going.

However, keep your ground-bound arses OFF the runway. It's a public-use airport and is still used by pilots, even if I can't fly there any more. I have lost count of how many a-holes in ground-bound vehicles I've cussed out over driving on the runway. If you're not in an airplane, you are NOT entitled to be on the runway. Keep your arse off.
Yes, there was a rumor that Gravelly Valley, 1Q5, had been closed, not true.

Really hard on paint, that airport.
Old 02-26-2013, 1:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Yes, there was a rumor that Gravelly Valley, 1Q5, had been closed, not true.

Really hard on paint, that airport.
I dented the hell out of the port horizontal stabilizer on my 172, had to replace the skin. Luckily, I found one that fit at that place in Sacramento (Faeth A/C parts) and it was good as new. The main thing to do at that airport is to make sure your soft-field technique meshes with your short-field technique, and add an extra notch of flap on takeoff. Once on the ground, add enough power to keep you moving and shut down the engine as you make your turn around the X (mine is always a left). That way you keep moving with a minimum of gravel pickup by the prop. Also, plan on doing your runup at altitude (I did mine at 2000AGL over the field). I get it into partially slow flight, cut the power to 1700 RPM (slightly leaned for the altitude) and do the mag check. Never had a problem at 1Q5 but had mag problems elsewhere on occasion.

Last edited by 10-22; 02-26-2013 at 1:35 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 4:29 PM
In Memoriam

Not closed, the LE are OK unless you have something to worry about. Pack out your crap and maybe a little more. There are dumpsters at navy Camp