Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Default RICHMOND ROD & GUN - MULTI-GUN PRACTICE EVERY 1ST SATURDAY OF THE MONTH

Hey shooters,

let me tell y'all something...if you are interested in multi-gunning, and you have never been to a multi-gun match before, then you are definitely missing something! The RICHMOND ROD & GUN CLUB (click on the link) has started running a multi-gun practice stage every 1st Saturday of the month. (0930 to 1330 hours). This is the place to be if you have not found a place to practice your multi-gun skills. (Shotgun/AR Rifle).

Dan C arrived at approximately 0600 hours (this past Saturday) to start setting-up the multi-gun stage. If you attended this weekends practice, you will know that Dan did an exceptional job with everything. The stage was complex enough to make you think, yet easy enough to run it through in a speedy and fluid manner. (Speedy...if your rifle transitions, and your shotgun reloads, were up-to-par).

Everyone there had a great time this weekend. I met a few shooters who had never shot their shotguns in a "run and gun" venue - that left with huge grins on their faces. Some of the guys were solid blocks upon arrival, and were actually looking really good when they left at the end of the practice. Everyone had something good to say about this weekends practice session.

Between a great stage, and Dan's great tips and friendship, the practice sessions looks like they will be here to stay.

After the multi-gun practice, a bunch of us headed over to "Geoff's Playland". Geoff is planning to have the 200-yard range open the same Saturday the multi-gun practice will be held - from 1300 to 1600 hours. This Saturday Geoff had some nice drills for us to run. It was pretty fun, and entertaining as well. If y'all do not have a "true" 200-yard zero on your multi-gun long guns, or do not have practice moving and shooting at 200-yard distances...then come play.

Personally, I did not bring my long gun, as I primarily came to help Dan with the multi-gun set-up and stuff. But Greg and Dimo lent me their AR's (and ammo), and I was happy as a pig rollin in doo-doo. Thanks, shooters!!

Let me end with the core root of all this - good fellowship and practice!!

We, as a club, have decided to take the next step and allow a safe place for shooters to practice their 3-gunning skills. I know there are a few clubs around the SF Bay Area that have multi-gun matches...but I do not know of any clubs near SF (that I am aware of) that have stages set-up to let you practice with your multi-gun toys. Dan is a very experienced multi-gunner, and we also have national-level shooters (multi-gun, pistol, etc...) at our club as well. We defenitely have the experience to pull this off, and give you multi-gunners out there the ability to take your skills to the next level. Between the excellent stage set-up's, tips from the experienced national-level competitors, and a safe place to practice...it is a win-win situation for everyone.

As I said, as a club, we have the shooters who are willing to give of their personal time to help take you to the next level. Myself (and a few other club RO's) will also be taking the USPSA NROI Multi-Gun course shortly. So we will be up-to-par with the current USPSA NROI MG rulings as well. So not only will you get good practice, but you will also learn the USPSA rules for multi-gunning as well.

And lets not forget the fellowship. As shooters, we know our camps are small and tight-knit. The RRGC has great and friendly bunch of shooters here. (OK...most of us at least). So drop-in and rub shoulders for a while. Even if you do not shoot, but are interested, drop in and ask questions. When you get here, make sure to ask for the "Action Range". And don't forget your "eyes and ears"!!

If y'all have never come out before...come!

But let me end with a very importand note: YOU MUST BE CLASSIFIED IN ONE OF THE ACTION SHOOTING DISCIPLINES, OR BE AN ORIENTATION CLASS GRADUATE IN ORDER TO SHOOT...PERIOD. No exceptions!

If you try to sneak in, and get caught, the proper discipline will be distributed, with the possibility of getting permanently banned from the range. Safety is number one!

Hope to see y'all out there. (Again)?

In Christ: Raymond

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 04-04-2011 at 6:56 AM..
Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

See ya there ray. Was a ton of fun.

Let me know if you guys need a hand setting up.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 04-06-2011, 8:38 PM

I would love to try this. Can you pm me more information on how to get started. I have been to the pistol action range and got a quick over view of the rules. Do I have to attend the class to practice in the 3 gun?
Old 04-06-2011, 8:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie3888 View Post
I would love to try this. Can you pm me more information on how to get started. I have been to the pistol action range and got a quick over view of the rules. Do I have to attend the class to practice in the 3 gun?
Your supposed to have taken the class to be on the action range. It would be a VERY good Idea to take it.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 04-06-2011, 9:10 PM

Quote:
We need to see a specific minimum demonstrated level of safe gun-handling before you can run practice stages and shoot matches at Richmond unless you can show a valid competition classification.
Old 04-06-2011, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffLinder View Post
We need to see a specific minimum demonstrated level of safe gun-handling before you can run practice stages and shoot matches at Richmond unless you can show a valid competition classification.
I'm signed up for the class in may. April was full already.
Old 04-06-2011, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

Dan is the man in charge of this for the moment.

He was pretty adamant about shooters being classified in one of the USPSA shooting divisions, or having taken the orientation class.

The name of the game was SAFETY!

By being classified in one of the latter groups, we know you have a good grasp of the safety rules, and have also had hands-on knowledge with proper supervision.

Regardless, come on by one of these Saturdays and take a look. Meet some of the shooters, and ask questions about the gear/ammo/firearms!

Looking forward to meeting a new shooter.

Old 04-07-2011, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

There will be no multi-gun practice for May, the first Sat next month is reserved for a much needed cleanup day, likely to return the first Sat in June.
Old 04-12-2011, 1:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
There will be no multi-gun practice for May, the first Sat next month is reserved for a much needed cleanup day, likely to return the first Sat in June.
Well, darn. That doesn't leave too many more chances to practice for BARC.
Old 04-12-2011, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

No, I guess not, but it's more than we had last year... Also, I believe there is a multi gun match on the weekend before the BARC.. so you can call that "some" practice..
Old 04-12-2011, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykan View Post
Well, darn. That doesn't leave too many more chances to practice for BARC.
You could say, "Well, darn. That doesn't leave too many more chances to practice for BARC". And you would be corect.

But then again, there are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of people who shoot at the range every year. So we could also also say, "Geesh, it's about time we cleaned this place up. Lets get it looking good for the following year and BARC".

Come one, come all. It is your range as well. Lets rub shoulders together, work up a little sweat, and help clean-up where we all shoot.

Like my Pastor used to say, "Why is it that the same 10% of the people always do 90% of the work"?

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 04-12-2011 at 7:53 PM..
Old 04-12-2011, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
Come one, come all. It is your range as well. Lets rub shoulders together, work up a little sweat, and help clean-up where we all shoot.

That sounds pretty nasty.

-
Old 04-13-2011, 1:41 AM
Veteran Member

Dont let me get started on some old wrestling lingo.

I can make a sailor blush. Ha ha.

Old 05-14-2011, 4:45 PM

So when is the next one?
Old 05-15-2011, 5:36 AM

Quote:
So when is the next one?
June 4th...............
Old 06-04-2011, 3:04 AM
Veteran Member

Practice today.

Be there or be slooooooooooow during your next 3-gun match.

Open from 0930 to 1330 hours.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 PM

Default Coming home to the Bay Area

This sounds great. For many years I lived close enough to RRGC to hear the shots on quiet Sunday mornings. Later as a teen I shot some skeet there. Now I have got the 'bug' and have been shooting IDPA and IPSC as well as some steel out here in Connecticut.

I am coming home at the end of June and plan on visiting the range after that. While I am classified in both IDPA and IPSC I would like to take the orientation/safety class just to learn the specifics of the range, where can I sign up for the next one?

Looking forward to a new home range and lots of range time,

Mike
Old 06-04-2011, 1:21 PM

Rain = no shooting for me. I'll be there next month though. Sugar melts.

Rich
Old 06-04-2011, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzano22 View Post
This sounds great. For many years I lived close enough to RRGC to hear the shots on quiet Sunday mornings. Later as a teen I shot some skeet there. Now I have got the 'bug' and have been shooting IDPA and IPSC as well as some steel out here in Connecticut.

I am coming home at the end of June and plan on visiting the range after that. While I am classified in both IDPA and IPSC I would like to take the orientation/safety class just to learn the specifics of the range, where can I sign up for the next one?

Looking forward to a new home range and lots of range time,

Mike
Mike
Looks like June 18th & July 16th are the next two Safe Hangunning Classes. They fill up pretty fast.
http://www.richmondhotshots.com/

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Old 06-04-2011, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Dan is the man in charge of this for the moment.

He was pretty adamant about shooters being classified in one of the USPSA shooting divisions, or having taken the orientation class.
Currently classified, or ever classified?

I used to shoot pretty regularly at Chabot, both with TASC and 3-gun, even took the USPSA Range officer course. I haven't been out as much in the last few years, but am trying to get back out more.
Old 06-04-2011, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
If you can prove you were ever classified you are good to go.
Old 06-05-2011, 4:49 AM

I would like to join in, sounds like fun.

200 yd 1300 - 1600?

Last edited by wheelgunner; 06-05-2011 at 6:25 AM.. Reason: Questions removed, most answers on web site.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I used to shoot pretty regularly at Chabot, both with TASC and 3-gun, even took the USPSA Range officer course. I haven't been out as much in the last few years, but am trying to get back out more.
The point of the standards is twofold:

1) To know that you have safe gun-handling abilities.
2) To know that you are familiar with range safety SOP.

Sounds like you already have both.

Like Geoff said, just prove it, and you should be GTG.

Let the guys know you are a bit rusty, and they will guide you through the practice.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 06-05-2011 at 10:12 AM..
Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgunner View Post
I would like to join in, sounds like fun.

200 yd 1300 - 1600?
The 200-yard range should open at 1330 to 1600 hours on those 3-gun practice Saturdays.

But double check with Geoff first. (Shoot him a PM). He is co-ordinating the 200-yard range, and this Saturday he was not here.

Old 06-05-2011, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Like Geoff said, just prove it, and you should be GTG.
I was thinking that would be really hard to do, but I just looked and TASC has match results online from when I shot with them.

I'll try and come out next month.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I was thinking that would be really hard to do, but I just looked and TASC has match results online from when I shot with them.

I'll try and come out next month.
We don't really need hard copy to know you are a competitor. If wee don't know you we will ask you a few questions and if you can walk the talk, the talk will be a certain way. A shooter usually knows another shooter with just a few minutes conversation
Old 06-09-2011, 5:34 PM

Will there be a practice July 2? I ask because you're having a SG match the week before and because of the holiday. Unfortunately, I cannot attend the SG match and was hoping to get some more rnds in.
Thanks

These practices are great
Old 06-09-2011, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT4ME View Post
Will there be a practice July 2?
Yep......
Old 06-09-2011, 8:25 PM

I expect to be able to run a 200 yard stage on July 2nd too. As usual, after 12pm is when setup on the 200 yard range will commence and would expect to be open for biz just around 1pm.
Old 06-09-2011, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

There is going to be a multi gun match the weekend before the BARC so you can treat that as also a practice session.. I think we have the 200 reserved for that as well.. (Geoff?).
Old 06-09-2011, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There is going to be a multi gun match the weekend before the BARC so you can treat that as also a practice session.. I think we have the 200 reserved for that as well.. (Geoff?).
Nice, I thought 2011 was going to be a bad year for long guns at R&R.
Old 06-10-2011, 8:15 AM

Quote:
If you have the 200 yard range reserved I will setup a stage there.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

It is on the calendar.. so it's a go
Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
It is on the calendar.. so it's a go
Copy that, there will be 5 rifle flash targets on the 200 yard bay for your shooting pleasure. The stage will be called "Hop Scotch". 2 positions 5 feet apart, each time you miss you must move to the other position, simple, easy, right
Old 06-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

man.. I'll be doing a lotta movin'...
Old 06-10-2011, 1:01 PM

Quote:
man.. I'll be doing a lotta movin'...
Not if your shooting my JP properly
Old 06-10-2011, 5:40 PM

Is there any restrictions on rifle?
I have an AR M4gry, 16", tactical light, & forward pistol grip.
Old 06-10-2011, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think he was planning on rocking with a Bolt-Action Iron Sight. It would be a good workout though.

-

Last edited by mecam; 06-10-2011 at 7:27 PM..
Old 06-10-2011, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ahhh this is troo.... I know, I'll blame my bullets! Yeah that's it! lol!!

No more bolt guns for me.. not even a lever gun.. maybe someday I'll have me own rifle with me own swaged bullets
Old 06-29-2011, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

Hey guys, it's the first Saturday of the month again.

Three gun practice at the action range...courtesy of Danielus Revolverus Supremus! (Dan Carden).

See y'all there!