Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-25-2011, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
We have the good cause statements, and they will be published shortly now.
Will you be updating this post once they are published?
I'm assuming they will be found on this page here:
http://calgunsfoundation.org/resourc...nta-clara.html
Borrowed from joefreas:
”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Borrowed from The Shadow:
"Controlling crime by regulating guns is like controlling obesity by regulating the size of spoons." - Lou Gohmert (R) Congressman from Texas; Appeared on Fox News on 16 January 2011
Old 03-25-2011, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monticore View Post
Will you be updating this post once they are published?
I'm assuming they will be found on this page here:
http://calgunsfoundation.org/resourc...nta-clara.html
I'm 100% certain that this thread will be updated & upgraded once that happens.

Erik
Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
I'm 100% certain that this thread will be updated & upgraded once that happens.

Erik
And Erik is 100% correct.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
And Erik is 100% correct.

-Brandon
Ok, how about a hint?
I live in Downtown San Jose, 400 feet and 900 feet from a couple schools.
Red ragger neighborhood. I am not prohibited, no arrests, etc. Defense of self and family would be my Good Cause.

Anything coming up worth holding my breath over?
Borrowed from joefreas:
”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Borrowed from The Shadow:
"Controlling crime by regulating guns is like controlling obesity by regulating the size of spoons." - Lou Gohmert (R) Congressman from Texas; Appeared on Fox News on 16 January 2011
Old 04-03-2011, 11:39 AM

Saw this article today: http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-...nclick_check=1

It angered me greatly - I spoke with TBJ a while back on the phone, and he was going through records at the time which showed that Laurie Smith had her undersheriff sign off a ccw testing form for some internet billionaire here, and in exchange, he sold her a 7 figure house in marin for pennies.

I'm not sure if tbj was making it up, or going on a hunch, but I have yet to see any development or confirmation/denial of the accusation. Is this something anyone can look into and verify?

Last edited by kertong; 04-03-2011 at 11:46 AM..
Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kertong View Post
Saw this article today: http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-...nclick_check=1

It angered me greatly - I spoke with TBJ a while back on the phone, and he was going through records at the time which showed that Laurie Smith had her undersheriff sign off a ccw testing form for some internet billionaire here, and in exchange, he sold her a 7 figure house in marin for pennies.

I'm not sure if tbj was making it up, or going on a hunch, but I have yet to see any development or confirmation/denial of the accusation. Is this something anyone can look into and verify?
Yes, but it'd be a lot faster if someone knew the name of the billionaire.
"[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)
Old 04-03-2011, 2:14 PM

Shouldn't it be easier to track the sales records to any houses, bought by her, rather than trying to determine the seller?
x7
Old 04-03-2011, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrisnet View Post
Shouldn't it be easier to track the sales records to any houses, bought by her, rather than trying to determine the seller?
This would be easier if her last name wasn't "Smith". As far as I can tell, there are 85 properties in CA today owned by someone named "Laurie Smith". 2 of them are owned by Laurie R. Smith, which is how she's listed on the Santa Clara County Sheriff's webpage. Neither property is in/near Marin. There's a property in Tiburon owned by a Laurie A. Smith but it's co-owned with another person (probably a spouse) whose name is different from the co-owner of the two Laurie R. Smith properties.

I can see that much for free without spending money. I can get copies of the actual deeds for the transfers but that costs money, and I don't really want to start spending a lot of cash chasing vague friend-of-a-friend stories.

Also, it's trivial to buy a house in the name of a trust or another entity that's not apparently related, that won't show up in an easy public records search - so the fact that one can't find a Laurie R. Smith deed isn't dispositive. To really run this down, it'd be really helpful to have more specifics about the other side of the transaction, particularly where both sides of the transaction (billionaire + sheriff) have the means and motive to take at least basic steps to obscure their ownership in the property.
"[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)
Old 04-07-2011, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Angry VERY Interesting LEO Billboard in San Jose!

I also posted this to 2A, and think it might be of interest here...

So I'm driving back home from visiting some friends in San Jose (SJ), and on my way back home (at approx. 20:45 on 04/06/2011), I noticed a billboard that had a photo of a SJPD Officer, and an individual either in the background, or standing (or maybe he was sitting) next to the Officer. The sign was facing Northbound traffic on I-880 just before (or maybe just after) Brokaw Ave in SJ (where there are a series of other billboards in the area on both sides of the freeway). I didn't have a chance to be able to view the sign in detail, so keep in mind that some of my description might be way off.

There was a message in the advertisement that stated somewhat to the effect that "WHO'S GOING TO PROTECT YOU" or "SAVE YOU"... Then the next message describes a situation of Police Personnel layoffs that are possibly to come. It was (IMHO) something placed there to incite fear in the public, and maybe get everyone to maybe call someone they're supposed to call or write to, asking them not to lay-off Police. It might be a desperate attempt to get more people to think that they have to depend on the PD to "protect them".

This was not even more than 14 hours ago, and I made the promise that I was going to go back and take a pic, and post it right here.

This morning (around 1/2 hour ago), I throw on my blue Calguns Polo, I go back, "armed" with my camera, and ready to "point & shoot", and guess what...

Of course, the sign has been taken down...

Questions I have regarding this is "who paid for the signs", maybe the Police Association, or the Union for the Police Officers?

This is something that I would consider as a reason WHY CCWSI should be more fast-tracked, and this is also something that the State Legislatures should be bombarded with (in a cordial manner). We know there will be PD lay-offs, but they are inciting fear in the public by telling everyone something that is COMPLETELY UNTRUE, and that is... Police might, or will protect individuals; See Warren v. District of Columbia (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981).

I thought that everyone here, especially in the Santa Clara CCW forum might be interested in seeing the sign.

CGF: Can we ask folks to look for these types of signs, and maybe take pictures, and then post them here?

Of course, I'm kicking myself 7 ways from Sunday for not immediately stopping and at the very least, taking a pic with my cellphone camera, and I didn't think to turn around, but I was also running very low on gas at the time. I figure that since it was late at night... I like taking my pics during the day, but still, I'm kicking myself now.

Anyone in the Bay Area see a sign like this? It might not be a bad idea to start a photo-op campaign, that is if CGF thinks it's a good idea.

I'm posting this to the Santa Clara forum, but if the Mods think it doesn't belong here or there, I will respect that decision... And I ask that there be no LEO/A bashing.

Erik.
Old 04-07-2011, 1:56 PM

Window Seat:

I think it belongs here, I'll keep my eyes pealed for any others.

Demagoguery at its "finest," sheesh. . .
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. -- L. Neil Smith

Old 04-13-2011, 6:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Protect San Jose dot com

This outfit has been advertising on KCBS from time to time. Saying the same things as that billboard:

http://www.protectsanjose.com/ from the SJPOA.

They are trying to change public opinion on cuts to their members.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Cool

Here is what I saw:

Erik.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Hey Guys,
First off, thanks for your hard work trying to get CCW for everyone. We really appriciate it!

I'm going to be moving to Palo alto to start my residency in June and I have a few questions. I have read this thread and many others but I want to make sure I'm clear.

This lawsuit (if we win) would make it so anyone with a standard good clause statement would be issued a permit to carry. Any idea of the odds of winning this lawsuit? I know thats an impossible question but I was wondering if it is a long shot or a sure thing or somewhere inbetween..

Thanks guys!
Eric
Old 04-22-2011, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou_shooter View Post
Hey Guys,
First off, thanks for your hard work trying to get CCW for everyone. We really appriciate it!

I'm going to be moving to Palo alto to start my residency in June and I have a few questions. I have read this thread and many others but I want to make sure I'm clear.

This lawsuit (if we win) would make it so anyone with a standard good clause statement would be issued a permit to carry. Any idea of the odds of winning this lawsuit? I know thats an impossible question but I was wondering if it is a long shot or a sure thing or somewhere inbetween..

Thanks guys!
Eric
Eric,
When Mr. Scocca wins, anyone with a good cause similar to his would be issued a CCW. Furthermore, anyone with a good cause that is similar to one that the sheriff previously approved would also be given a CCW. I think this is why calguns is waiting to post the good cause statements. The only variable here is what is considered "similar good cause."
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 04-26-2011, 4:11 PM

How long is it going to be until this case gets held in the court?
Old 04-26-2011, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hopefully, if everything plays out right, wait for it...

wait for it...

a little longer...

in just about

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 04-26-2011, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
Hopefully, if everything plays out right, wait for it...

wait for it...

a little longer...

in just about

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Yet one more Calgunner with no will power!!
Old 04-27-2011, 5:53 AM

I will be applying for ccw for both Santa Clara and Alameda county, with pretty solid just cause - I should've done this a long time ago considering what I do for a living. Looks like I'm going to wait for this to pan out before applying for SC, but I'm going to go for Alameda first.

*subscribed*
Old 04-27-2011, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarrow View Post
How long is it going to be until this case gets held in the court?
The defendants' answer isn't even due until June - seriously, nothing is going to happen until 2012, maybe even late in 2012.

I have posted the waiver of service on behalf of the defendants at http://www.parrhesia.com/gov.uscourt...238467.4.0.pdf. I have no connection to the case, but I do have a PACER account.
Old 05-02-2011, 4:33 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I just noticed this news article about SC county:

Quote:
On Monday, County Executive Jeff Smith released his $4 billion recommended budget for the coming fiscal year, a plan to offset the county's current $219.6 million shortfall. Budget-balancing is required by law and, absent new revenue sources, shrinking the social safety net becomes the county government's last-resort -- a set of Hobson's Choices that pit programs for the homebound elderly against those serving abused children and the mentally ill.

Little would be left untouched under Smith's plan, with service reductions in the offices of the tax collector, clerk-recorder, veterans' affairs, public guardian and emergency services. Three units of the juvenile hall would be shuttered, along with an end to sheriff's patrol in rural areas.
I wonder if there might be some political hay to be made pointing out the costs associated with attempting to defend themselves in court for not issuing CCWs? Perhaps several well worded letters to the editor?

Old 05-02-2011, 5:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
I just noticed this news article about SC county:

Quote:
On Monday, County Executive Jeff Smith released his $4 billion recommended budget for the coming fiscal year, a plan to offset the county's current $219.6 million shortfall. Budget-balancing is required by law and, absent new revenue sources, shrinking the social safety net becomes the county government's last-resort -- a set of Hobson's Choices that pit programs for the homebound elderly against those serving abused children and the mentally ill.

Little would be left untouched under Smith's plan, with service reductions in the offices of the tax collector, clerk-recorder, veterans' affairs, public guardian and emergency services. Three units of the juvenile hall would be shuttered, along with an end to sheriff's patrol in rural areas.

I wonder if there might be some political hay to be made pointing out the costs associated with attempting to defend themselves in court for not issuing CCWs? Perhaps several well worded letters to the editor?

I live in rural Santa Clara County (in the Santa Cruz Mountains). The end to the sheriff's patrol has real life consequences for my family and I. There are known illegal pot growers, meth labs, and other illegal activities up here that will absolutely go unchecked if the sheriff patrols (aka deterrents) cease.

Hmmm... possible "Good Cause" statements for my CCW? Possible lawsuit when denied? What say you, Calguns gurus? I am willing and able to go down this road to break the CCW issuance control for myself and others in this county.

Old 05-02-2011, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post

Not likely [that easy], given that issuing CCWs costs money too, and the fees that can be charged are capped by the state.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that obeying the law costs money, not obeying the law costs money, and which are they more willing to pay?

Additionally, this does not defend against the [illegal] policy of the Sheriff's office saying you need to ask your municipal PD first.
x7
Old 05-02-2011, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
I live in rural Santa Clara County (in the Santa Cruz Mountains). The end to the sheriff's patrol has real life consequences for my family and I. There are known illegal pot growers, meth labs, and other illegal activities up here that will absolutely go unchecked if the sheriff patrols (aka deterrents) cease.

Hmmm... possible "Good Cause" statements for my CCW? Possible lawsuit when denied? What say you, Calguns gurus? I am willing and able to go down this road to break the CCW issuance control for myself and others in this county.
This may have traction... but plz do consult a lawyer (or the CGF).
x7
Old 05-02-2011, 8:47 PM

About to apply in Mountain View, Santa Clara Co
I am about to apply for a CCW permit to the mountain view pd and was hoping for some insight.
1. I had a speeding ticket on fort Carson in CO in 2007, paid and settled.
2. My GC is along the lines of: I'm an Army recruiter and in and out of uniform I've been harassed/targeted by anti war personnel. I carry government equipment with personal information of many applicants (ssn etc) and with that threatening letters on my privately owned vehicle.

So just looking to see if my GC is good and will the ticket hurt ke that bad?
Old 05-02-2011, 9:06 PM

Quote:
About to apply in Mountain View
Let me know how that goes. I am also from MV and may apply soon. MVPD is pretty chill.
Old 05-02-2011, 9:14 PM

Molon Labe!
Old 05-03-2011, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantry H2 View Post
About to apply in Mountain View, Santa Clara Co
I am about to apply for a CCW permit to the mountain view pd and was hoping for some insight.
1. I had a speeding ticket on fort Carson in CO in 2007, paid and settled.
2. My GC is along the lines of: I'm an Army recruiter and in and out of uniform I've been harassed/targeted by anti war personnel. I carry government equipment with personal information of many applicants (ssn etc) and with that threatening letters on my privately owned vehicle.

So just looking to see if my GC is good and will the ticket hurt ke that bad?
No, but the fact that you're not special will.
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. -- L. Neil Smith

Old 05-25-2011, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

Bump for anything new?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 PM

So far, I sent the MVPD an email requesting info. They sent me a generic packet regarding the policy. When I asked about the possibility of getting an approval or if I was wasting my time, the Sergeant I was speaking to said that's on the Chief.

In my case, military training isn't good enough training though I have qualified on many weapon systems. And it's just a lot of money to flop down to get it simply reviewed (firearm training 150+ dollars and then the app fee fingerprint fee etc etc) so I'm going to get the AZ CCW first so I have some sort of background. Other than the military.

Spikes Lower and 16" Upper (5.56) w/ Magpul Accessories, Saiga 7.62 Converted Tactical w/ Magpul Accessories, Mossberg 500 12GA Road Blocker, Springfield Armory 1911 'Loaded' Parkerized, Springfield Armory XD45 Service 4", Smith and Wesson Sigma .40 (lol), Ruger LC9, Ruger LCP w/ Crimson Trace (carry if I get CCW, help!)
Old 05-26-2011, 5:40 AM

My understanding is that you don't need to get the training until after your CCW is approved, but before it is issued. Yes, I'd believe that MVPD/SCSO would say otherwise, but check with wildhawker, et al.
x7
Old 05-26-2011, 8:20 AM

I'll check into the whole process again from MVPD. I know the SCSO isn't issueing or taking any CCW packet due to the lawsuit. I've been waiting on good cause statements but looks like I'll have to wing it.

Spikes Lower and 16" Upper (5.56) w/ Magpul Accessories, Saiga 7.62 Converted Tactical w/ Magpul Accessories, Mossberg 500 12GA Road Blocker, Springfield Armory 1911 'Loaded' Parkerized, Springfield Armory XD45 Service 4", Smith and Wesson Sigma .40 (lol), Ruger LC9, Ruger LCP w/ Crimson Trace (carry if I get CCW, help!)
Old 06-02-2011, 7:20 AM

Quote:
And here you go: http://calgunsfoundation.org/news/169-scoccavsmith.html

We have the good cause statements, and they will be published shortly now.

-Brandon
Brandon, it's been more than two months since this post (March 24th). Are the good cause statements going to be published soon? Are they pending on the SC sheriff lawsuit or some other event?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2011, 7:36 AM

1. Scocca's suit is equal protection. Meaning Sheriff Smith has issued to persons with similar good cause to Mr. Scocca, but refuses to issue to Mr. Scocca.

2. CalGuns has the good cause statements.

3. This is a slam dunk if #1 is accurate.

<hunch>Within the good cause statements is at least 1 referring to self-defense as good cause. Calguns wont release the GC statements until after the lawsuit is settled (in or out of court). Then basically turning anyone with self-defense good cause into Mr. Scocca. End result Santa Clara = Sacremento.

Since Mr. Scocca is the perfect candidate for this lawsuit (well respected, corporate director, prior law enforcement, etc), CGF etal doesnt want to muddy the waters with individuals that might not be as "perfect." However once this is settled, all that doesnt matter.</hunch>
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 06-02-2011, 1:55 PM

Ultimately, the GC statements likely will be a part of discovery
Old 06-02-2011, 8:19 PM

This is a response from Mountain View PD...

The training is part of phase two.* All you have to do is complete phase one of the application at this time.* The answer to your second question is no.* I don’t have any good cause examples because I don’t know anyone who has one in this city.* I have not known this Chief to give any out thus far.*

Key points to this are bold.

Old 06-02-2011, 8:34 PM

That sucks
Old 06-03-2011, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazman View Post
That sucks
This is about as surprising as hearing today that water is still wet.

Old 06-14-2011, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantry H2 View Post
This is a response from Mountain View PD...

The training is part of phase two.* All you have to do is complete phase one of the application at this time.* The answer to your second question is no.* I don’t have any good cause examples because I don’t know anyone who has one in this city.* I have not known this Chief to give any out thus far.*

Key points to this are bold.
It's been a while since the Code Pinko's were staging their protests on the corner by your office. Are you getting directly hassled now?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

I know a few Deputies, I feel weird asking them if they could by any remote chance help me get a CCW in Santa Clara.

I hate to bug, but is there an update to when we should apply and with what cause? Does anyone know if the Chief of Police in Gilroy is any more willing to issue CCW then the Sheriff?
Old 07-06-2011, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luieburger View Post
Vendor sponsorships:

Why don't we put the pressure on some of our local stores and get them to sign up?

See my post: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...20&postcount=9

Many of us are friendly with Valkyrie arms, and we showed overwhelming support for that gun store in Sunnyvale that was under attack last week. Many of us are customers at Reed's. Lets get these folks in gear and on board! Everybody benefits from CCWs.
I think you are onto something here... they'll get on board a whole lot faster if they start hearing some encouragement from their customers.

Maybe some of them would let us put a sunshine initiative collection jar next to the register and show their support at no cost while helping to spread the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHowdershelt
There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order.