Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-25-2018, 7:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks Zatoh - Picture was taken in 2015 outside Hanoi -

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatoh View Post
Mr Saigon1965: This is an amazing picture! Thanks for sharing this.
Old 01-25-2018, 7:40 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
i can respect that decision.
similarly, i would not buy a blood diamond (any diamond in reality), but never a blood diamond.
I am a big fan of the diamonoid, or diamonite, cubic fugazi, whatever. It looks great, curries favor hugely, and makes the eventual messy exfil far less costly.
Old 01-25-2018, 7:46 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I just recently picked up this lovely lid. Unquestionably original ND M42. This one is safe to post because it doesn't have any snowflake melting evil decals. (It never had any)

There is what appears to be dried blood on the leather liner. No backstory on that.

Old 01-25-2018, 7:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I am a big fan of the diamonoid, or diamonite, cubic fugazi, whatever. It looks great, curries favor hugely, and makes the eventual messy exfil far less costly.
sure, but they have no intrinsic value except as a cutting tool and some other applications.
they are worth whatever somebody else will give you for them, and that is usually 1/3 of what you paid, if that.

i read this right out of high school, in 1982

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...iamond/304575/

Last edited by theLBC; 01-25-2018 at 7:59 PM..
Old 01-26-2018, 1:15 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
sure, but they have no intrinsic value except as a cutting tool and some other applications.
they are worth whatever somebody else will give you for them, and that is usually 1/3 of what you paid, if that.

i read this right out of high school, in 1982

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...iamond/304575/
My humor is so unappreciated around here.
Old 01-26-2018, 1:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My humor is so unappreciated around here.
I know the feeling........
Old 01-26-2018, 2:33 PM

yous guys are funny.
Old 01-26-2018, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

To each his own. Those who ignore or forget their history are destined to repeat it. Maybe make a display with a slave made gun and one done by regular gunsmiths and compare the quality. Is the poorer quality due to them trying to sabatoge the effort or just due to skill level?
100 years from now the South will try to secede again because all history of their first attempt will have been erased.
Old 01-26-2018, 7:17 PM

I'm so stoked to pick up my ac41 p38 and BNZ 44 out of jail!
and on another note i just sold my Nagant revolver cause it may have shot some dissidents in the back of the head and knowing that made it hard to sleep some nights
Old 01-27-2018, 5:45 PM
In Memoriam

OP, As to your specific question about camp made guns.

I have had them in the past when I was collecting WWII stuff. Never shot them as I know if I were in the camp. I would have made a dangerous to the shooter gun.

All items from history are only bits of history. A gun, helmet, vehicle, canteen has no political view or goal. It is an inanimate object without thought.

So a camp made P38 is more interesting and educational than one that was factory made.

Any good or bad emotion placed on the item is really just that viewer projecting his/her own emotions.
Old 02-05-2018, 1:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo2112 View Post
Nice contradiction. You are trying to justify ownership, which you previously said no collector has to do.
Take a nap and get back to us later.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Another answer specific to the OP: It would not bother me to purchase a firearm made in a camp. If I attached any emotional significance to it, it would be a reminder that we must never let it happen again. Otherwise, it's just a historical object, nothing more or less.
Old 02-06-2018, 1:52 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
I have had them in the past when I was collecting WWII stuff. Never shot them as I know if I were in the camp. I would have made a dangerous to the shooter gun.
I have read many anecdotal stories of deliberately sabotaged weapons and ordnance made by forced camp labor. There is a scene near the end of "Schindler's List" where Oskar Schindler specifically tells his workers to make sure nothing they build actually works.
Old 02-07-2018, 3:07 AM

I think it is ridiculous Everytime someone brings up how horrible it is to own Nazi Weapons especially those made by Slave Labor. Yet those same people have no issue owning Russian or Chinese Weapons. This has come up on the RMNF more than once.

Stalin and Mao are both responsible for more deaths and atrocities than Hitler. Russia and China have committed atrocities for much longer. Personally I don't own Russian or Chinese Firearms because I think they are ugly and sub-standard. Not because of the history behind them. I do collect Finnish Firearms including Finn Captured SVTs because the Finns improved the Captured Russian Arms out of necessity.

I happen to have a P38 AC-44 that is marked inside with a Jewish Star. Some say this was done by Jewish Slave Labor as a F U to the Nazis. If so I think that is great and took guts; one should be proud to own such a piece of history, I am.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
I think it is ridiculous Everytime someone brings up how horrible it is to own Nazi Weapons especially those made by Slave Labor. Yet those same people have no issue owning Russian or Chinese Weapons. This has come up on the RMNF more than once.

Stalin and Mao are both responsible for more deaths and atrocities than Hitler. Russia and China have committed atrocities for much longer. Personally I don't own Russian or Chinese Firearms because I think they are ugly and sub-standard. Not because of the history behind them. I do collect Finnish Firearms including Finn Captured SVTs because the Finns improved the Captured Russian Arms out of necessity.

I happen to have a P38 AC-44 that is marked inside with a Jewish Star. Some say this was done by Jewish Slave Labor as a F U to the Nazis. If so I think that is great and took guts; one should be proud to own such a piece of history, I am.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Now that is a pretty cool thing to see.....
CGN CONTRIBUTOR
Old 02-07-2018, 5:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

To add on to what Capt14k shares (awesome P38 by the way)

During the Israeli war of independence, many countries didn't want to arm the Jews. What they ended up with is a lot of left over and captured WW2 German guns, to include K98's and MG34's as pictured below.

I have an Israeli K98, complete with Nazi Waffenampts and stars of David.

Old 02-07-2018, 5:58 AM

Quote:
I have read many anecdotal stories of deliberately sabotaged weapons and ordnance made by forced camp labor. There is a scene near the end of "Schindler's List" where Oskar Schindler specifically tells his workers to make sure nothing they build actually works.
According to Karabiner 98k, organized sabotage did occur at Gusen. It occurred mainly during final assembly, since it was too easy to detect individual parts being out of dimension, and scrapping parts that would have passed inspection.
Old 02-07-2018, 6:51 AM

Really, 3 pages about a non-issue only of interest to the PC crowd?
How about starting another time wasting thread, like, whether it's OK or not to date your coworker?

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street and building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right. -1984

Last edited by GunKraut; 02-07-2018 at 6:56 AM..
Old 02-07-2018, 7:07 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I do not remember the name of the documentary at the moment, but there was a great documentary on cable about a year ago regarding the formation of the IDF after WW2. It seems the Israelis cobbled together a military force out of primarily WW2 era surplus equipment, including a lot of German stuff such as armor and airplanes. Many American Jews who served in the U.S. Armed forces were also recruited to migrate to Israel and created the core of their military forces as well.

It was really an inspiring story and fascinating from a military history point of view.
Old 02-07-2018, 7:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I do not remember the name of the documentary at the moment, but there was a great documentary on cable about a year ago regarding the formation of the IDF after WW2. It seems the Israelis cobbled together a military force out of primarily WW2 era surplus equipment, including a lot of German stuff such as armor and airplanes. Many American Jews who served in the U.S. Armed forces were also recruited to migrate to Israel and created the core of their military forces as well.

It was really an inspiring story and fascinating from a military history point of view.

Might have been Above and Beyond, which told the story of Mahal (foreign) soldiers in the IDF. It was predominantly about foreign pilots flying for the IAF.

One of the more notable Mahal pilots was "Slick" Goodlin, who lost out to Chuck Yeager to be the first pilot to fly the Bell X-1 in supersonic flight. On January 7, 1949, Goodlin and his wingman, flying IAF Spitfires, shot down three British RAF Spitfires in the closing hours of the Arab-Israeli war.
Old 02-07-2018, 8:42 AM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

^^ I saw Above and Beyond. Former WWII pilots, many Americans Jews, went to help Israel start their own air force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14hu8tnJ01A

Old 02-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfact View Post
^^ I saw Above and Beyond. Former WWII pilots, many Americans Jews, went to help Israel start their own air force.
Col. David Marcus, a West Point graduate and WWII US Army veteran, went to Israel in 1948 to help organize the IDF. He is frequently described as the first Israeli general. He was the subject of a Kirk Douglas movie made in the 60's, Cast a Giant Shadow.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
i can respect that decision.
similarly, i would not buy a blood diamond (any diamond in reality), but never a blood diamond.

as for arguments in favor, if owned out of respect for the history...
against...if you want it because you are a nazi .
WHAT???
Diamonds are worthless. If I'm gonna pay that much for a shiny rock, it better have a whole bunch of blood on it.
The sissy attitude infests everything these days!
My people were slaves subject to Prima Nocha for 800 flippin' years by the Ottomans. Heck, there wasn't even a name for slave back then. So they used the name of my people, The Slavs, to describe it! You don't here me *****ing about it.
So please, miss me with all that crap!

Last edited by Kestryll; 02-08-2018 at 8:40 AM..