Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Chuck View Post
From his website:

Hum ... You have to pay for your training before even getting preliminary approval? What are the shooting requirements for "Qualifying" ?
I will find out. Here is what I plan on posting on his FB page but I want input before I do.

Mr. Warnke, back on 01/30 you stated you would pay for range time and instruction for CCW applicants, and that the only cost to applicants would be the cost of ammunition. On your new website it says you would have us take a CCW course then pass a background check then perform a qualifying demonstration with a department range master.

http://imageshack.com/a/img513/2626/ncer.png

1. Pass your CCW Course provided by a licensed gun dealer or shooting range.
2. Pass a satisfactory background check
3. Perform a qualifying demonstration with Department provided range masters.

I have some concerns with this. My first concern is you originally stated you would cover all training costs minus the ammunition.

My second concern is that you want us to qualify with your range master. Bullet point 3 seems redundant because qualifying with the firearm already happens during the CCW course. From looking at CA Code 26165 there is no room to add secondary qualification requirements. This policy could potentially leave you open to litigation.

My third concern is that the bullet points imply that this is the order you intend the process to take. It looks like you want us to take a CCW course before getting preliminary approval. If that is the case the CA Code 26165(d) states that applicants shall not be required to pay for training prior to the determination of good cause being made.

I look forward to your response and helping me clear up the concerns that I and others have.

Last edited by jgraham7897; 03-10-2014 at 11:04 AM..
Old 03-16-2014, 5:43 AM

So has anybody applied lately for there ccw permit for Merced county, Just not sure if I should apply now or wait to see who the next sheriff is. My residents is in atwater. I just don't want to have a denial on my record.
Old 03-16-2014, 4:24 PM

I am going to be waiting until after the election. I spoke in person with Vern Warnke yesterday and truly believe he is our best option. He is not a politician and that's what I like best about him. He wants it to better the county and the department. I had a conversation with him that I know I could not have had with the other candidates because he is a very down to earth and approachable guy.
Old 03-16-2014, 5:41 PM

Thanks for the advice, I agree he is our best candidate for the position. This is the opportunity we have all been waiting for. We need to get this guy elected.
Old 03-16-2014, 6:44 PM

I agree. In the next couple days I am going to be walking through the neighborhood and passing out info about him.
Old 03-19-2014, 4:11 AM

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2014/03...d-by-rise.html

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO — Californians have flooded several sheriff’s offices with applications and inquiries for permits to carry concealed guns.
Sheriffs in some politically conservative or rural counties reported spikes in applications, and other counties in the state experienced smaller increases.
Merced County, however, did not see a spike in permit applications, Sheriff Tom Cavallero said.
“We saw the same numbers we usually see for this time of year,” Cavallero said.

District of Columbia vs. Heller
Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM

According to a Facebook post Vern Warnke will be at El Rodeo Restaurant in Los Banos tonight. He is running for MCSO.

I'd love to hear how it goes and hope that some of you can get a dogmatic statment of what he is going to do specifically to reform CCW in this county.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/vernwarnkeforsheriff
Old 03-24-2014, 3:06 PM

I have talked to him in person. He has told me that if you pass the background check and the CCW course you will get your CCW.
Old 03-24-2014, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

I'm hopeful Warnke will win. I emailed him several weeks ago asking how to donate and for a yard sign but didn't receive a reply

Also for anyone in contact with him, his signs are hard to read... He really should have put "Vern Warnke for Sherrif" above his clip art pictures.
Old 03-24-2014, 8:37 PM

He had new signs made already for that reason. Did you try contacting him on the website?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Sheriffs in some politically conservative or rural counties reported spikes in applications, and other counties in the state experienced smaller increases.
Merced County, however, did not see a spike in permit applications, Sheriff Tom Cavallero said.
Gee Tom, ya think refusing to take applications without a denial letter from a Chief of Police for 90% of county residents might have some bearing on how many applications you saw?
Old 03-29-2014, 8:12 PM

I truly hope that the MCSO CCW policies will change towards fairness. I had believed that as long as an applicant has not been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor and does not have an active restraining order that was all to it. I've served over 10 years in both the Army and Air Force and was honorably discharged. Beforehand I was a security guard for Merced County, Merced Community College and Private Security which have given me a handful of unfortunate enemies. I have asked Calguns for assistance but unfortunately at this time I do not have the necessary funds.
Old 03-30-2014, 5:50 AM

Can you tell us all about your discussion with CalGuns?
What did you ask for?
What did they want insofar as money?
What were they going to do for you?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlK Lantern View Post
I truly hope that the MCSO CCW policies will change towards fairness. I had believed that as long as an applicant has not been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor and does not have an active restraining order that was all to it. I've served over 10 years in both the Army and Air Force and was honorably discharged. Beforehand I was a security guard for Merced County, Merced Community College and Private Security which have given me a handful of unfortunate enemies. I have asked Calguns for assistance but unfortunately at this time I do not have the necessary funds.
May I ask why you believe a misdemeanor should rescind one's right to means of self defense? Are there any other natural rights you believe a person should be stripped of?
Old 04-09-2014, 5:16 AM

Some purported statements from candidates for the Merced County Sherriff position are posted by Merced Concealed Carry Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/merce...14282201927993

Look how many times he calls an ENUMERATED RIGHT a 'PRIVLEGE'. He also talks about training repeatedly, and while I a all for training and have more than the average bear, we know where potentially ever-increaving training and testing requirements can lead.

At this time it appears to me that Frank Swiggart is NOT going to be on the right side of Peruta or the Heller decision. He does not appear anywhere close to pro 2nd to me.

Quote:
“If you meet the criteria and you are a law-abiding citizen you deserve the privilege of carrying a CCW…more training than less. If you make a mistake and you lose that CCW, it’s a privilege, you are losing it on a privilege. So having a good-sound judgment, being that law-abiding citizen, being that person out there that’s been trained properly. [...]

“If you meet the criteria you deserve to have the privilege, you should have that privilege, you should help send these people out of Merced County.”
Contrast that with Vern Warnke:

Quote:
“I do support the 2nd amendment and the position from the 9th district court of appeals. I felt that was a long time in the coming. Because the way it used to be is ‘I own a jewelry store and I carry lots of amounts cash so I’m more important than the guy that’s running a hay bailer’…If you just come to me and you say ‘I want it for self-defense’ that is good enough for me as long as you’ve met the other criteria.”

“If you legally have a right to possess a firearm it’s 90% of it. If you come in and get the training and such.”

“The sheriff is your last line of defense against a tyrannical government...the reasons you elect a sheriff is to protect a citizen against just that happening.”

Also for those of you reading in the media that Merced County has not seen an upsurge in CCW permits it is probably because their website STILL says that it is Merced County SO policy to require a denial by local PD before they will look at you.

Isn't this a violation of recent court decisions?
Old 04-11-2014, 7:38 AM

I picked up an application about a week ago. My first question is.. Wait till we have a new sheriff.?? Second good cause would simply be "self defense".? And it asks for any traffic tickets in the last 5 years. I've only had one and it was dismissed. Should I still list it.? Also I had an arrest 20 something years ago as a minor. Should that be listed.?
Old 04-11-2014, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG of MP View Post
Also for those of you reading in the media that Merced County has not seen an upsurge in CCW permits it is probably because their website STILL says that it is Merced County SO policy to require a denial by local PD before they will look at you.

Isn't this a violation of recent court decisions?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=545848

Best to ask in that thread if/when CGF will bring legal pressure to bear upon Merced.

I just asked (again!) on the last page. (fwiw Gray previously said San Mateo Co has recently cleaned up its act in that regard.)

225+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 04-11-2014 at 7:33 PM..
Old 05-03-2014, 3:33 PM

Folks if you have not yet met Vern Warnke, I urge you in the STRONGEST possible terms to get to Los Banos while the Spring Fair is still going. He has a booth set up in the Obanion building.

He will talk openly and frankly with you and you will like what you hear.

I'll post more at a later date, but go to the Spring Fair in Los Banos and meet this guy today or tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:36 AM

Please get out and VOTE today... this is a very important election for CCW in Merced County:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post14215821
Old 06-03-2014, 8:59 PM

It's a super tight race!
Old 06-03-2014, 9:09 PM

It is. At the Elks Lodge with Vern and it's an amazing atmosphere.
Old 06-04-2014, 5:58 AM

Here is the final total:

================================================== ===
PRECINCTS COUNTED (OF 126). . . . . 126 100.00
REGISTERED VOTERS - TOTAL . . . . . 94,199
BALLOTS CAST - TOTAL. . . . . . . 20,638
VOTER TURNOUT - TOTAL . . . . . . 21.91

Sheriff-Coroner
VOTE FOR 1
(WITH 126 OF 126 PRECINCTS COUNTED)
VERN WARNKE. . . . . . . . . . 6,689 34.18
PAT LUNNEY . . . . . . . . . . 6,450 32.96
FRANK L. SWIGGART JR. . . . . . . 5,137 26.25
JIM SORIA . . . . . . . . . . 1,239 6.33
WRITE-IN. . . . . . . . . . . 54 .28
Total . . . . . . . . . 19,569
Over Votes . . . . . . . . . 14
Under Votes . . . . . . . . . 1,055
================================================== =====

The difference between the winner and 2nd place in this race was only 239 votes. That is .24 percent of the registered voters in Merced County.

This race has as one of its central issues the right to carry and easily obtain a CCW. (I use the present tense "has" because if I have my facts straight there must be a run-off election in November between Lunny and Warnke.) Lunny was endorsed by a very serious gun grabber - Bill Lockyer, and that gave Warnke the edge in my book BUT Lunny did say a lot of straight forward pro-CCW RKBA things.

It will be very interesting to see how both of these men answer questions on CCW as the race progresses.

I am toying with the idea of putting together a comprehensive and pointed question sheet to send to both of them so I can publish their answers here... It would include what their background check procs would consist of, how they would handle the GMC clause, turnaround time, and anything else. Getting two busy guys to answer those questions in detail might be asking too much.. I dunno.

Anyhow, Merced County is one to keep an eye on. Currently for CCW it is the sore thumb of the valley with issue policies listed on their website that I am told are not legal (such as requiring denial of ccw by a local police chief before you can even apply to the SO.) There are also clauses in their policy that say the SO can do other things like order psych evals and other stuff if they so desire. My understanding was that you can not do this unless you make ALL applicants go do the same thing.

In any case, Lunny and Warnkey get to slug this out again over the next 5 months. Let's hope that they both are able to keep the RKBA promises they have and doubtless will make.
Old 06-04-2014, 7:19 AM

My prediction is that the majority of Swiggarts votes will go to Vern. I was at the post election party at the Elks Lodge last night. It was an amazing time. My boys had a great time and now consider Vern family. Children are amazing judges of character and Vern has it in spades. He was truly inspired, motivated and overjoyed about yesterdays results. What amazes me is that Soria actually got 1200 votes! Just goes to show how many uninformed voters we have in Merced.
Old 08-09-2014, 2:46 PM

It is time to start gearing up for the Merced County Election.

I happened to be in Merced today and went to Vern Warnke's campaign meeting. I spoke to him afterwards and he is very very pro ccw and 2A in general.

I asked him several pointed questions about the CCW process as he envisions it and I can tell you that if he keeps his word (which I feel he will) it is going to be like night and day compared to Pazin et al.

It is important to help out such a candidate. If you can afford it, whether or not you are in Merced County, I'd like to suggest that you attend his fundraising prime rib dinner in Dos Palos on the 30th. It sounds like it will be QUITE an evening.

https://twitter.com/VernForSheriff/s...454784/photo/1

http://www.vernforsheriff.com/home.html

https://www.facebook.com/vernwarnkeforsheriff

By the way - one of the previous candidates who ran in the primary Frank Swiggart was at the meeting and he is throwing his support behind Warnke.

Last edited by CG of MP; 08-09-2014 at 3:10 PM..
Old 09-11-2014, 1:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Any news on how the sheriff's candidates' campaigns are going?

IIRC, you were hoping to replace an anti-CCW incumbent sheriff w/a pro-CCW one.

FWIW, I'm not in Merced county, I just "feel your pain."

Old 09-20-2014, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Any news on how the sheriff's candidates' campaigns are going?

IIRC, you were hoping to replace an anti-CCW incumbent sheriff w/a pro-CCW one.
Several days ago I spent over an hour putting together a really detailed response then I hit the back button in the wrong window and it was gone.

In short, both candidates are making very positive noises about CCW. One entity in the county known as Merced County Citizens for Concealed Carry posted on their facebook page yesterday a report card on both candidates. https://www.facebook.com/MercedCountyCCW It reads as follows:

Quote:
NEWSFLASH: Merced County Sheriff Candidate Concealed Carry Report Card. The report card is based on written interview responses, as well as verbal statements from numerous public debates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mercedccw.JPG (89.7 KB, 272 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG of MP View Post
Several days ago I spent over an hour putting together a really detailed response then I hit the back button in the wrong window and it was gone.

In short, both candidates are making very positive noises about CCW. One entity in the county known as Merced County Citizens for Concealed Carry posted on their facebook page yesterday a report card on both candidates. https://www.facebook.com/MercedCountyCCW It reads as follows:

I really wish they would release the actual questions and answers though.
Old 09-21-2014, 6:26 AM

I agree.
It would be more intellectually appropriate for those of us who likle to dissect the candidates to be able to know what exactly was said and how these 'grades' are determined.
Old 09-25-2014, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Plus, those last two Qs/Issues on that report card are not directly CCW related. The last could be RKBA related. Not sure re. the 2nd to last though.

Old 09-25-2014, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Ray View Post
I applied and was approved by the Merced PD.
Without any specifics, what was your "Good Cause" like?

Has anyone gotten a CCW from Merced Police Department recently? If so, what were your Good Causes like?

After seeing how Fresno PD plainly states that they accept self-defense as Good Cause, it got me to wondering what Merced PD says in their CCW info. So I went to:
http://www.cityofmerced.org/depts/po...led_weapon.asp
and their linked "CCW Process" .pdf document says:

2. Good Cause Determination:

An investigation will be conducted into your statement of good cause. If a determination is made that you do not meet the good cause requirement, your application will be denied and you will be notified in writing. IF you meet the good cause requirement, you will be requested to appear at the Concealed Weapon Permit’s Office to continue the application process. A total of $100.00, payable by cashier’s check or money order, will be required at that time.

and then later,

REQUIREMENTS

1. Good Causes:

You must have good cause to obtain a concealed weapon permit. Good Cause is defined as:

Any citizen concerned for the safety of themselves, their family and friends, or their employees
, can apply for a CCW license subject to the following qualifications:
(emphasis added)

<snip>

4. Good Moral Character:
You must be of good moral character. Applicants, at minimum, must have no criminal convictions within the past 10 years of a crime involving moral turpitude, have no history of alcohol or drug abuse and have no dishonorable discharge from military service.

So, the first part about GC sounds like it is a holdover from a time prior to accepting mere "self-defense" (here, concern for the safety of yourself), back when they had to verify what you claimed for GC was true, while the 2nd part about GC sounds very Peruta compliant.

(I put in the info re. their GMC standard just as a fyi.)

If Merced PD, like Fresno PD, is now accepting SD = GC and is issuing CCWs by that standard, I'd like to know about it. If verified, I'll edit the OP (like I recently did the Fresno thread), to reflect it.

Although these threads are focused on the county sheriffs, they're really county threads and when the major city in a county says SD = GC, folks should know that, esp when the SO has not said SD = GC.

[ETA]: Unfortunately, Chief Norm Andrade has chosen to require psych exams of all applicants:

5. Psychological Test
The Merced Police Department requires the applicant to be referred to an authorized psychologist for psychological testing (not to exceed $150) shall be paid by the applicant. Upon approval the Concealed Weapons Permits Coordinator will refer you to the Department’s authorized psychologist.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-25-2014 at 10:07 PM..
Old 09-26-2014, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

I saw on the CGN statewide survey of CCWs that, among others, Atwater and Los Banos police departments issues CCWs. While I could not find any info. on the Los Banos PD website (http://www.losbanos.org/city-governm...tments/police/), I did find out the Atwater PD CCW fees from their website (http://www.atwater.org/index.cfm?page=641592):

Concealed Weapon Permit (initial) $55
Concealed Weapon Permit (renewal) $10

Last edited by Paladin; 10-12-2014 at 9:11 PM..
Old 10-15-2014, 8:26 PM

Quote:
I saw on the CGN statewide survey of CCWs that, among others, Atwater and Los Banos police departments issues CCWs. While I could not find any info. on the Los Banos PD website (http://www.losbanos.org/city-governm...tments/police/), I did find out the Atwater PD CCW fees from their website (http://www.atwater.org/index.cfm?page=641592):

Concealed Weapon Permit (initial) $55
Concealed Weapon Permit (renewal) $10
Unless Atwater has recently changed their policy, you pretty much have to have a notarized letter threatening your life to get a permit...
Old 10-21-2014, 11:10 AM

I attended a meet and greet at the Los Banos Chamber of Commerce with Vern Warnke this morning. He has some really good ideas for the county to save money. He is expecting a large surge in the LTC/CCW applications. I mentioned that one of the reasons that Pazin was sued was because he was not making a decision on the apps in a timely manner. He said that was one of the reasons that so many were denied and if he had to hire additional help to process the apps, he would do that. He said that they would probably pass on the cost to the applicant. He said that there would be a lot of stuff that volunteers could do to cut those costs, so if anyone wants to help, lets do it. I'm willing to help.

www.kentsandhagen.mygofoods.com

Cowboy Fast Draw World Championships
alias, "The Undertaker"
Fastest Shot 2009 .356
Old 10-28-2014, 8:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Only 1 week until Election Day!

Don't forget to mail in those ballots if that's the way you vote.

Old 11-03-2014, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Only 1 week until Election Day!

Don't forget to mail in those ballots if that's the way you vote.
Tomorrow is the big day!

Be sure to call/email/text/FB post/whatever to encourage family, friends, and shooting buddies to get out and VOTE tomorrow (Tuesday, the 4th), to WIN the ability to get a CCW for "mere" self-defense!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:53 AM

TODAY is the day. The run-off election for Warnke and Lunny for Sherriff. Lets turn this county into a pro rkba county. Please everyone get out there and VOTE TODAY for Vern Warnke. With Merced County being decided in some races by a few hundred votes every single vote is particularly important this time around. If you have not mailed in an absentee ballot PLEASE take it directly to a polling place in your town as they will be able to count it. Get out and VOTE TODAY and let's turn Merced County intoa GREEN CCW county!
Old 11-04-2014, 4:18 PM

2.5 hours left. Please vote.
Old 11-04-2014, 4:39 PM

Anyone going to the Elks Lodge to be there when the results come in?
Old 11-04-2014, 4:43 PM

Warnke on CCW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m_w4oeLh1I
Fast forward to 11:30
Old 11-04-2014, 10:16 PM

We have a new Sheriff. Lunney called in and conceded the race.