Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-24-2011, 3:31 PM

Default Sun Welding Safe Co.?

So I was at the Ventura Fairgrounds Gun show a week ago and there were several manufacturers for gun safes on hand. Most names I recognized, but there was a comapny I had not heard of there. Sun Welding Safe Company. They are based out of Simi VAlley where they manufacture and sell their safes. They had several models on display and they all looked great as far as fit and finish and the staff on hand was pretty knowledgable. But, I was curious if any of you guys had heard of them and would recommend them at all? Cause I am looking to get a safe and would love to buy a safe made in the U.S., and especially in California.

www.sunweldingsafes.com

Last edited by bbbthreat; 01-24-2011 at 3:33 PM..
Old 01-24-2011, 5:43 PM

I purchased a sun welding pony express model back around 1991 and am very happy with it. Very well constructed. Burgandy with gold accents, still looks as good as the day I got it. I have not seen the newer ones, hopefully they are just as good or better. Also I really like the exposed hinges, the door lifts right off and makes moving it so much easier.
Old 01-24-2011, 6:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

They started out in early 1980's, in a welding shop in Moorpark. Good product for the money.
Old 01-24-2011, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

I bought a safe from Hall's Safe Co. Made in California, excellent quality IMO. Purchased in '91

http://www.hallsafe.com/main.html

*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***

***Mature Up***

Last edited by Mickey D; 01-24-2011 at 6:59 PM..
Old 01-24-2011, 6:29 PM

http://www.hallsafe.com/main.html

WOW, those are nice, really like the custom wood interiors in the sample photos on the website.
Old 01-24-2011, 8:30 PM
I need more cowbell!!!!!!
CGN Contributor

My safe is 100% made in CA with American steel!

http://www.sturdysafe.com/
Old 01-25-2011, 5:50 AM

I bought mine from them in the mid 1980's , from the same blonde girl that still sells them at the gun show.
Old 01-25-2011, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

Sun is good stuff. When I worked at Dodge City in Santa barbara, we sold the heck out of them.

The big ones are really heavy for two fat guys to deliver though
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 01-25-2011, 2:54 PM
Banned

I think they are good products at fair prices!

I own two of Sun's larger, higher end safe's and am very pelased with their fit,finish and construction. THey are a very good value for your $$$ IMHO; thicker plate construction and weight fror the same money as their competitors, much nicer finishes than the more budget brands for not a lot more $$.
Old 01-25-2011, 3:00 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

I bought one in late 2009. it barely fit through the door space to the man cave, had to take off the room door and the handle from the safe.

It is good deal and good construction. I am happy with it.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 01-25-2011, 3:10 PM

Sweet!

I like hearing all this. Looks like they may be getting my business once I get my tax return.
Old 01-26-2011, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
I bought a safe from Hall's Safe Co. Made in California, excellent quality IMO. Purchased in '91

Hall's is probably toast, the email address does not work, and their phone # is disconnected. and, the website has a 2007 price list and brochure.

21 gun salute...
Old 01-26-2011, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube snake boogie View Post
Hall's is probably toast, the email address does not work, and their phone # is disconnected. and, the website has a 2007 price list and brochure.

21 gun salute...
Wow, no kidding. Hmmm interesting.

*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***

***Mature Up***
Old 01-27-2011, 5:17 AM

I bought a Sun Welding safe. I love it. Good price, looks good. If you go to their show room on easy st. in Simi, they have a couple safes for display. One had been through a fire, interior was fine, the other some thugs spent the better part of an entire night trying to get into....unsuccessfully.

Here's mine....

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-27-2011, 7:26 AM
Banned

Now there is something I had not considered! Which side the door should hinge on! I guess most (?) safes hinge on the right, but the one in the photo hinges on the left. hmmmm..

Years ago, I fought with a fridge in a kitchen. It was so darned difficult to get into! When it came time to move it out so a new one could be brought in, the salesman said, "These doors are reversible." It NEVER occurred to me to check!

I wonder what it would take for a safe company to offer a reversible door?
Old 01-27-2011, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotebait View Post
I bought a Sun Welding safe. I love it. Good price, looks good. If you go to their show room on easy st. in Simi, they have a couple safes for display. One had been through a fire, interior was fine, the other some thugs spent the better part of an entire night trying to get into....unsuccessfully.

Here's mine....

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice. Sweet looking safe. Now the model you have is a Scout, which is what I was looking at. I was thinking of the S34 model. What options did you get with yours and what did it set you back? You can PM me if you want, but I am really curious.
Old 01-27-2011, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbthreat View Post
Nice. Sweet looking safe. Now the model you have is a Scout, which is what I was looking at. I was thinking of the S34 model. What options did you get with yours and what did it set you back? You can PM me if you want, but I am really curious.
I honestly can't remember the model, I'll check when I get home from work (around 3:00) I just got standard features, my interior is "convertible", (good thing, cuz it's filling up). As far as price, I want to say it was just shy of $1500, I'll double check that too. Have you been to their store? It's a small place but they do great work. Oh, and they can hinge your door on whatever side you like. Here's their website.
http://sunweldingsafes.com/Sun_Weldi...pany/Home.html
Old 01-27-2011, 8:47 AM

Here's a rare glimpse into my safe. It may be an S-34....that sounds familiar.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-27-2011, 1:51 PM

O.K., Home now....It is the S34, but I can't find my receipt so I'm not sure what I paid exactly. It was about 5 or so years ago.
Old 01-27-2011, 2:14 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

I like the look of the safes, and since I am so close to Simi I like that too. But this is what concerns me:

In the fire liner options it states "fire board". I really hope that the fireboard isn't gypsum. I would really look into that. I am in the market for a safe as well and I know from experience gypsum attracts moisture. moisture is bad for guns. I have a cheapo sentry safe and I got pretty bad rust on my wheel gun. Desiccant can't keep up with it, I once used damp rid and it collected a pint of water in a month (in a small safe mind you).
Old 01-27-2011, 3:35 PM

I don't know if they use gypsum or not, a quick phone call can clear that up though. I can tell you with absolute certainty that none of my guns have ANY rust. I've never heard of a company using gypsum....definitely something to look at.
Old 01-27-2011, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotebait View Post
I honestly can't remember the model, I'll check when I get home from work (around 3:00) I just got standard features, my interior is "convertible", (good thing, cuz it's filling up). As far as price, I want to say it was just shy of $1500, I'll double check that too. Have you been to their store? It's a small place but they do great work. Oh, and they can hinge your door on whatever side you like. Here's their website.
http://sunweldingsafes.com/Sun_Weldi...pany/Home.html
Thanks for that info. When I was at the gun show they were selling them for $790 and they honored that price until Jan. 21st. I was bummed because I did nothave the cash on hand tobuy it out right then and there. But the girl assured me that they routinely have sales on their safes, especially when they go to gun shows; and to just periodically check their website and call to check on their prices.

As far as going to their store I drove by their location on the 21st because I was in the area, but they had already closed up and I was not sure if I had actually found their store front. I f I had found it, I can assure you I would have driven away with a "new" heavy load in the back of my truck.

I like the look of their safes and I do want to purchase one. Plus as a former resident of Simi Valley, I think I owe them.
Old 01-27-2011, 8:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was always told that a good safe does not have external hinges. They should always be internal so they cannot be accessed.

Any thoughts?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

"...how about denying the rights to speech, association, assembly and privacy? I bet that would help cut crime in California AND Mexico. Remember, liberals, if it saves one life it's worth it." -Unknown
Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 PM

i have a model 48 that i bought in 1997 for 700 dollars. it can hold up to 12 long arms. pretty sturdy safe and it still looks fairly new.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." Napoleon Bonaparte

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning." (Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943.)
Old 01-28-2011, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

I've had mine for 3 years and love it (as much as you can love a safe) never a problem and seals good, bearly got it in the room it's in but even the wife likes it.
I ordered it through The Gun Shop in Lancaster and had a custom name painted on the front at no extra charge.

I like seeing all the good remarks about it, they are an American company and right here in SoCal.

Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.
Old 01-28-2011, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillnotbob View Post
I was always told that a good safe does not have external hinges. They should always be internal so they cannot be accessed.

Any thoughts?
The hinges aren't that big of a concern on these, the "dead bolts" are on both sides of the doors so if you cut the hinges, it won't do you any good.
Old 01-28-2011, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that info. When I was at the gun show they were selling them for $790 and they honored that price until Jan. 21st. I was bummed because I did nothave the cash on hand tobuy it out right then and there. But the girl assured me that they routinely have sales on their safes, especially when they go to gun shows; and to just periodically check their website and call to check on their prices.

As far as going to their store I drove by their location on the 21st because I was in the area, but they had already closed up and I was not sure if I had actually found their store front. I f I had found it, I can assure you I would have driven away with a "new" heavy load in the back of my truck.

I like the look of their safes and I do want to purchase one. Plus as a former resident of Simi Valley, I think I owe them.
If you catch them when they're open you'll know, they have a mock up safe out front when they are open.
I found my price sheet, $1299. I think my paint was considered custom at the time and I had the 3 spoke handle instead of the single. I think those were considered upgrades at the time where as now they may not be. The bottom line is that I'm very happy with mine and will purchase a second one from them in the future. I don't see my collection shrinking any time soon.
Old 01-28-2011, 9:58 AM

Quote:

Any thoughts?
External hinges are fine, actually better.

External hinges allow the door to open further, and any decent safe does NOT use the hinges to secure the door. The bolts/pins/lugs etc secure the door in place. A thief lacking knowledge might even waste a bunch of time hacking away at hinges because they appear to be a weak point, while they have no role in securing the door at all.

I recently bought a big Liberty safe, and I consider the internal hinges a disadvantage. It has five BIG lugs on each side, the hinges don't add a bit to security, but they do take up internal space and limit the door to just over a 90 degree opening.
01001001 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01001110 01001111 00100000 01001100 01001111 01001110 01000111 01000101 01010010 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01101100 01111001
Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJ View Post
External hinges are fine, actually better.

External hinges allow the door to open further, and any decent safe does NOT use the hinges to secure the door. The bolts/pins/lugs etc secure the door in place. A thief lacking knowledge might even waste a bunch of time hacking away at hinges because they appear to be a weak point, while they have no role in securing the door at all.

I recently bought a big Liberty safe, and I consider the internal hinges a disadvantage. It has five BIG lugs on each side, the hinges don't add a bit to security, but they do take up internal space and limit the door to just over a 90 degree opening.

Cool... thanks for the info!!! No more worries about finding a safe with internal hinges. A wider opening door would be a plus.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

"...how about denying the rights to speech, association, assembly and privacy? I bet that would help cut crime in California AND Mexico. Remember, liberals, if it saves one life it's worth it." -Unknown
Old 02-03-2011, 8:10 AM

Alright... thanks to all the feed back from this sight and given that a gun show just occurred, so their pricing is where I want it, I am calling up Sun Welding today to order me up a safe. Even got the wife all jones up on it. She has been hassling me about it for two years and I never even knew it. Guess I should have listened to her.
Old 02-03-2011, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Alright... thanks to all the feed back from this sight and given that a gun show just occurred, so their pricing is where I want it, I am calling up Sun Welding today to order me up a safe. Even got the wife all jones up on it. She has been hassling me about it for two years and I never even knew it. Guess I should have listened to her.
Congratulations, you won't regret it.
After about 2 minutes of listening to the wife, my train of thought derails too...you're not alone.
Old 02-03-2011, 5:01 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Cool... thanks for the info!!! No more worries about finding a safe with internal hinges. A wider opening door would be a plus.
Yep, mine is in a corner and the door will open 180 degrees. Makes it easy to access things.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho