Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for Law Enforcement Credentials
$0 I don't want them at any price 398 15.56%
$100 316 12.35%
$500 748 29.24%
$1000 530 20.72%
$1500 103 4.03%
$2000 211 8.25%
$5000 133 5.20%
$10000 50 1.95%
$Whatever it takes I'll take out a second mortgage 69 2.70%
Voters: 2558. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewdabaker23 View Post
How would Montana Leo creds be valid if you live in Cali? I have a hard time seeing how this would work and Cali would find a way to stop it. Unless you have a Montana address how would this work.
I haven't read the rest of this or formed an opinion yet, but to answer this question, each state sets standards for LEO certification. Any person who meets those standards, and who applies for certification, cannot be denied (due to Federal non-discrimination laws).

There is nothing preventing certification of someone who lives in another state, especially if they visit Montana once in a while. If I were writing this law, I would require in-person application and renewal (with instant issuance of credential), and some basic level of training including the Bounds of Authority for this new class of LEO (which might be simply "You have NO authority") and a written exam (to be given only in Montana). This would, if nothing else, be a way to bring a few tourist dollars into the state!

Thus, someone wanting this could take the training online, fly to Montana for the weekend, take the exam, file application, get photo shot and credential issued on the spot. This would put up a money hurdle (airfare, lodging and food) on top of the state fees. An additional fee could apply to the online training course.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff31 View Post
Stoner is correct. Retired officers must qualify annually either with the agency they retired from, or in their state of residence.
Nope. Read it again.

". . .that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the standards established by the agency for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm;"

All that is necessary is that the officer or retired officer MEET THE STANDARD of the agency from which they retired OR the state where they reside, for their particular class of LEO and weapon. States determine their own qualification standards. If the Montana agency only requires "proven ability to pay annual renewal fees," that satisfies LEOSA.
Old 10-01-2012, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Carrier View Post
I haven't read the rest of this or formed an opinion yet, but to answer this question, each state sets standards for LEO certification. Any person who meets those standards, and who applies for certification, cannot be denied (due to Federal non-discrimination laws).

There is nothing preventing certification of someone who lives in another state, especially if they visit Montana once in a while. If I were writing this law, I would require in-person application and renewal (with instant issuance of credential), and some basic level of training including the Bounds of Authority for this new class of LEO (which might be simply "You have NO authority") and a written exam (to be given only in Montana). This would, if nothing else, be a way to bring a few tourist dollars into the state!

Thus, someone wanting this could take the training online, fly to Montana for the weekend, take the exam, file application, get photo shot and credential issued on the spot. This would put up a money hurdle (airfare, lodging and food) on top of the state fees. An additional fee could apply to the online training course.
Then I'm glad you are not. The fewer the hurdles, the fairer it will be for all.

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

My guess is the bill is already written and just waiting on the next session to begin.
Old 10-01-2012, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan View Post
Then I'm glad you are not. The fewer the hurdles, the fairer it will be for all.
Without a few simple hurdles, it will be easy for states such as the People's Republic to declare the credential worthless.

The preferred situation is Constitutional Carry, not finding new methods of legitimizing "Mother May I" schemes.
Old 10-01-2012, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Without a few simple hurdles, it will be easy for states such as the People's Republic to declare the credential worthless.

The preferred situation is Constitutional Carry, not finding new methods of legitimizing "Mother May I" schemes.
Federal law trumps state determinations, and good luck on that 2nd part in CA. Have any other fantasies you'd like to discuss?
Old 10-01-2012, 4:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

California can not and doesn't have the authority to declare another states LEO credential worthless. So you think some 18 year old PD Officer who is the son of a Police Chief, who never passed a CA POST can have his LEOSA rights denied to him?

I have met some extremely uneducated LEO from small towns in several states....we are talking over the top hillbilly didnt finish high school and joined the PD at 18. Even this LEO's credential CAN NOT BE DISCOUNTED in other States.
Old 10-01-2012, 4:58 PM
Veteran Member

Love this thread.

Its goes hard and fast from both sides ...dies for awhile, then right back at it.

This is one hell of a "scheme" with the parties involved.
Old 10-01-2012, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
My guess is the bill is already written and just waiting on the next session to begin.
Hmmm... well, since the organizer's web site hasn't been updated in quite a while, and I don't see this bill listed at all on the calendar for the next session of the MT legislature, and I haven't heard mention of a sponsor in the MT legislature, *my* guess is somewhat different.
Old 10-01-2012, 6:36 PM

Can't wait for this to go through.
Old 10-01-2012, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
California can not and doesn't have the authority to declare another states LEO credential worthless.
No, but they CAN make a lot of noise about "credential mills," and a training requirement and in-person application would go a long way to counter that.

Personally, I think it's an interesting idea, and would like to see how it plays out, but would not want to be the test case.
Old 10-01-2012, 6:51 PM

Quote:
good luck on that 2nd part in CA. Have any other fantasies you'd like to discuss?
In Arizona, there was no CCW for non-cops, PERIOD.

One guy started an initiative petition drive for Constitutional Carry. A couple of months later, the Legislature passed a CCW permit law, and in less than 20 years had Constitutional Carry.

Consider this food for thought . . .
Old 10-01-2012, 7:18 PM

Quote:
In Arizona, there was no CCW for non-cops, PERIOD.

One guy started an initiative petition drive for Constitutional Carry. A couple of months later, the Legislature passed a CCW permit law, and in less than 20 years had Constitutional Carry.

Consider this food for thought . . .
If you think the electorate in California is at all similar to Arizona, I don't know what to say.....
Old 10-01-2012, 7:35 PM

Quote:
I agree, but what are you supposed to do in the meantime?
Old 10-01-2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
California can not and doesn't have the authority to declare another states LEO credential worthless. So you think some 18 year old PD Officer who is the son of a Police Chief, who never passed a CA POST can have his LEOSA rights denied to him?

I have met some extremely uneducated LEO from small towns in several states....we are talking over the top hillbilly didnt finish high school and joined the PD at 18. Even this LEO's credential CAN NOT BE DISCOUNTED in other States.
While I agree with this, there is a pretty clear distinction between a few guys from some podunk town and a department with membership that will likely number in the thousands that was created with the sole intention of giving out nationally recognized CCLs.

I hope whoever is drafting this is also thinking ahead on how it will be rationalized (outside of strict legal definitions). I can already hear the chorus of "that's not what the law intended".
Old 10-01-2012, 8:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerkraut View Post
While I agree with this, there is a pretty clear distinction between a few guys from some podunk town and a department with membership that will likely number in the thousands that was created with the sole intention of giving out nationally recognized CCLs.

I hope whoever is drafting this is also thinking ahead on how it will be rationalized (outside of strict legal definitions). I can already hear the chorus of "that's not what the law intended".
what gets me is that only people from gun-grabber states like ours will think of this as a "loophole". The position is a REAL LEO POSITION. Just because it doesn't involve joining an academy, running 50 miles a day, and singing military marching songs, doesn't negate that its a real position. Its no less of a position then Frank hiring his son... or son-in-law to make sure his daughter has food on the table.

The MAJORITY of people who want this are trained just as well as most police whether you like that fact or not. They have a desire to protect themselves and others. they have a sense of duty and honor. They will be just as reliable as any Police Officer on the street RIGHT NOW.

Will there be bad apples...you bet. Are there Police out there right now who are bad apples...you bet... Here's 4 minutes that will make you laugh...Jump to 3:50 to skip the BS... DELETED VIDEO,,,FORGOT THE OFFICER DROPS ABOUT 10 F BOMBS... SEARCH YOUTUBE "COP GOES INSANE ON DRIVER"

Last edited by dieselpower; 10-01-2012 at 8:59 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 PM

Diesel, I'm not knocking the idea, in fact I like it, I'm just trying to look at this from a judge's perspective: "Please explain to me what your officer's duties are, and how they can accomplish them when they live thousands of miles away". I think that this is a valid question seeing as the 2A clearly state that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" yet plenty of legislation that infringes on this right is ruled constitutional. Clear phrasing in law is not a guarentee for interpretation and we should be prepared for this possibility.
Old 10-04-2012, 8:42 PM

this is, most simply described, as a reserve officer's position. and the way LEOSA is written, there is no requirement that you be in your jurisdiction to carry.
x7
Old 10-04-2012, 9:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerkraut View Post
Diesel, I'm not knocking the idea, in fact I like it, I'm just trying to look at this from a judge's perspective: "Please explain to me what your officer's duties are, and how they can accomplish them when they live thousands of miles away". I think that this is a valid question seeing as the 2A clearly state that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" yet plenty of legislation that infringes on this right is ruled constitutional. Clear phrasing in law is not a guarentee for interpretation and we should be prepared for this possibility.
you are missing the whole point of LEOSA...you need to read the whole thread. This has been gone over before. Simply put... a State can NOT and does not have the authority to question the requirements of another states LEO under federal law.... Its like saying your drivers license isn't valid because you didn't parallel park in order to get it.
Old 11-10-2012, 2:01 AM

Just checking for any updates here?

Thought I would post this for future reference: Montana Legislature
Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 AM

This question isn't about the concealed carry portion of the credentials and may be buried in this thread somewhere...

In the event there is a new assault weapons ban...Would a credential such as this create some exception? Maybe that depends on individual state laws and how the AWB would be written? Any thoughts?

"It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government."
Thomas Paine
Old 11-10-2012, 3:24 PM

been thought of earlier in thread... thoughts/consensus was it would provide some exceptions, not including full-auto.
x7
Old 11-10-2012, 4:29 PM

Less than two months away....

The 63rd session of the Montana Legislature will convene Monday, January 7, 2013.
Old 11-10-2012, 4:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, but don't get too eager.

It may take a month or two before this issue is actually up for consideration. It may not pass. And if it does pass, then implementation of the program might take quite a few months. I personally doubt that you could be signed up in this program before some time in 2014.

But what might come earlier is the ability to go to Montana and buy Kalifornia legal (but non-rostered) firearms and bring them back to Kalifornia quite legally. That might not take long at all! But I'm not sure all the bugs have been worked out or that passage is assured.
Old 11-10-2012, 6:21 PM

I'm not interested in the concealed carry part of this for the most part. I already have my Ohio CHL and I am also an Instructor for it. The part that interests me are all of the other exceptions that may come with such credentials.

For an example... It is illegal to own a switch blade knife in Ohio but LEO's are exempt. Full auto is not a problem either. We can own machine guns here if you comply with the federal regulations. We have no state law against them. Same goes for suppressors.

Thinking forward about an assault weapons ban however makes me interested in what these credentials would do.

"It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government."
Thomas Paine
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 PM

Well... I was speaking specifically for CA.
FA may be possible in other states... dunno.
x7
Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

I too like this thinking out of the box. And Think it could be done legally .. I know a town for sale.. The town of Rice... Our family has always talked about buying it and making it a speed trap / rest stop / Oasis in the desert. Never thought about the Gun side of things...
Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Calguns Addict

The town of calguns, pop 5 LEO pop 125, 000 git r done.
Old 11-17-2012, 8:02 AM
Not a miracle worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Smile of the Week!

Said by yours truly to an audience of nodding IRS employees.
Old 11-17-2012, 8:02 AM
Veteran Member

Safest City in the Nation!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Haha love this!
Old 11-17-2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Nope. Read it again.

". . .that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the standards established by the agency for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm;"

All that is necessary is that the officer or retired officer MEET THE STANDARD of the agency from which they retired OR the state where they reside, for their particular class of LEO and weapon. States determine their own qualification standards. If the Montana agency only requires "proven ability to pay annual renewal fees," that satisfies LEOSA.

So your thought is Montana is going to give you the authority to carry an gun, and not make you qualify with it on some type of regular bases. Do you really think the Montana Legislature is that stupid!!! I can understand what you are trying to accomplish, but it seams you want the authority without the responsibility. I think I called it in about the first dozen or so pages of this thread. But time will tell.
Old 11-17-2012, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
So your thought is Montana is going to give you the authority to carry an gun, and not make you qualify with it on some type of regular bases. Do you really think the Montana Legislature is that stupid!!! I can understand what you are trying to accomplish, but it seams you want the authority without the responsibility. I think I called it in about the first dozen or so pages of this thread. But time will tell.
What authority? I seem to remember the authority being limited to something along the lines of 'Has power to arrest while supervised by full officer while in Montana on the last day in February during a leap year during a declared state of emergency during a natural disaster.' to satisfy certain bits of LEOSA.

A mail in qualification target sent in with renewal fees is about as much as most places require for LTC, which is more or less what this is set up to be.
Old 11-17-2012, 6:00 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
but it seams you want the authority without the responsibility.
What authority are you referring to?

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 11-17-2012, 6:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Dont feed the unknowledgeable. Let him re-read all 61 pages of posts until it sinks in that what Montana is doing is nothing more than what this country guaranteed to its citizens 236 years ago. They are saving peoples lives.
Old 11-17-2012, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

No offense to Stoner, but he/she doesn't get what is going on.

And actually, passage is not assured. So this venture may prove to be a bust in Montana and it may be that another venue must be tried - or this one re-tried in two years.

Understand, we are talking about starting a whole new bureaucracy and a profit is not assured. So it could be very reasonable for the Montana legislature to say that they really don't want to mess with hiring the staff, setting up administrative space, and messing with lawsuits brought by Eric Holder or his follow-on.

So who knows? But if it happens it'll be slick!
Old 11-17-2012, 7:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
So your thought is Montana is going to give you the authority to carry an gun, and not make you qualify with it on some type of regular bases.
Authority comes from the "keep and bear arms...", too bad some states are trying to circumvent the Constitution.

Otherwise, this would be no different than carrying within a shall issue state using a license issued by that state. If any legitimate person in MT is good enough to carry, why wouldn't an equivalent person from CA be good enough? Seems like proper equality to me.
Old 11-17-2012, 8:03 PM
Calguns Addict

I have no problem with people having to qualify. What's the big deal? Anyone who carries should be able to qualify. I carry, and would have no issue with it.

Funny how it's ok to buy Leo credentials but all of the sudden it's not ok to make someone be able to hit a paper target from 10'.

Last edited by skyscraper; 11-17-2012 at 8:11 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 8:15 PM

As best I understand it, it's rarely about "having to qualify" but rather about "what will qualifying entail"
x7
Old 11-17-2012, 8:28 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Federal law trumps state determinations, and good luck on that 2nd part in CA. Have any other fantasies you'd like to discuss?

Be kind, I think he may have BGOS.