Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM

Default US may lift Chinese arms embargo

I saw this over on ar15.com. I havent seen it here. Maybe we can get new chinese ak's again.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90...3/7161556.html

Quote:
The United States appears ready to lift its 21-year-old arms embargo against China in the wake of President Obama's request on Saturday to ease restrictions on the sale of cargo aircraft to Beijing.

In an Oct 8 letter, Obama called on the House and Senate to lift the ban on C-130 cargo aircraft sales to China, emphasizing "the national interest of the United States" to terminate the suspensions.

Should the proposal pass in both Houses of Congress, this will signal the first time since 1989 that the US has exported arms to China.

Obama stressed in his letter that C-130 cargo aircraft are to be deployed in response to oil spills at sea. However, he did not specify a date or financial cost for an imminent export.

License requirements shall remain in place for these exports, and will require review and approval on an ongoing, case-by-case basis by US government officials.

The C-130 cargo aircraft - also known as the Lockheed C-130 Hercules - is a four-engine turboprop military transport aircraft designed and built in the 1950s. Capable of using unprepared runways for takeoffs and landings, the C-130 was originally designed as a troop, medical evacuation and cargo transport aircraft.

The aircraft have been widely used by NATO and coalition troops on the battlefields of Afghanistan and Iraq. The C-130 has so far been exported to more than 50 countries worldwide.

Washington has exported to China Black Hawk helicopters and other advanced armaments in the 1980s, but has also led Western countries in its restriction of high-tech weapons sales to Beijing since 1989.

It has also threatened to cease cooperation with the European Union, if the latter were to lift its arms sales ban, according to Zhao Xiaozhuo, senior colonel and expert on US military affairs at Beijing-based Academy of Military Science.

"Israel, for example, under the pressure of the US, even had to quit from a contract of selling early warning aircraft to China," said Zhao.

The US, he added, is reluctant to export arms to China out of fears that Beijing's growing military expenditures are making it a fast-evolving threat.

There is also an underlying fear in Washington, Zhao added, that China would simply use the core technologies to its advantage.

Zhai Dequan, the vice-secretary-general of the China Arms Control and Disarmament Association, said that though the C-130 has been put in use for decades of years, it still has been of vast use in various military actions and exercises.

"As a tactical transport, C-130 cargo aircraft serve for middle-ranged deliveries - that is, the distance is within the (battlefield) theater," said Zhao.

"Unlike fighters, a cargo aircraft requires less updated technology and depends more on durability, and the C-130 has been performing quite well in the past decades," said Zhao. "Therefore it is still of operational value in the US."

Analysts said the White House's motives have been fueled by the Obama administration's plan to balance trade with China while testing the waters to further restore strained military-to-military relations.

The US is particularly worried about its trade deficit with Beijing. Moreover, while Washington has been accusing China of using its surplus to create an imbalance in bilateral trade, Beijing has countered that the US government has been banning high-tech American exports to China - and, thus, partly fueling the trade imbalance.

Zhai noted, however, that arms sales are beneficial in boosting related industries and, in doing so, creating job growth.

Beyond that, he added, China has other - and at times more important - reasons to have such hardware at its disposal.

"During the Wenchuan earthquake in 2008, the US ignored China's urgent need for aircraft engines used for rescuing victims," said Zhen. "If it is free trade, then what is the rationale of the US not selling China such conventional and not-so-high-end weapons?"

The other concern is to cast a light on the resumption of stalled military exchanges between the two countries.

Most notably, Beijing had suspended military exchanges altogether in January after the Obama administration unveiled plans to officially sanction the sale of a $6.4 billion military package to Taiwan - an inalienable part of China.

More recently, China has voiced objections to US military exercises with Republic of Korea (ROK) in the Yellow Sea, part of renewed cooperation between Washington and Seoul.

"The US wanted very much to bring the Sino-US military exchange on track - the scheduled meeting between the two countries' defense ministers in Vietnam is clearly a sign of dtente," said Zhai. "Therefore, Obama's proposal can be seen as yet another friendly signal to China."

However "there is more that the US can do," he added. "Apart from the C-130, the US should export more advanced weaponry to China, to fully realize the normalization and transparency of military exchanges."
Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

i hope this happens soon,i'd like to see more norinco and polytech ak's for sale.i want to add a few to the collection
Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
i hope this happens soon,i'd like to see more norinco and polytech ak's for sale.i want to add a few to the collection
They will probably be sold as Remington AKs.

And they will still have to comply with the "sporting purposes" restrictions from 1989.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

Last edited by Mssr. Eleganté; 10-13-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Old 10-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Ummm.. What are you guys talking about? This article appears to be about US sending weapons to THEM. I didn't see anything about them being allowed to resume sales of their small arms to us. As much as I am a fan of low-cost firearms, I don't see Bam-bam and his crowd lifting that particular ban any time soon.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
They will probably be sold as Remington AKs.

And they will still have to comply with the "sporting purposes" restrictions from 1989.

i hope not!
i dont want a remington ak.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Hmm, it says nothing about small arms import. 2nd, I beleive the small arms trade ban was installed by Bush senior to prevent the import of "non sport" arms and ammunition from both China and Russia, so I don't read this as the same thing.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:31 PM

Small arms from China were blocked in 1994. I think this article is talking about something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norinco..._United_States

Too bad, it would be nice to see AK's back down in the price range where the question wasn't whether to buy an AK but how many will fit in a closet.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
Ummm.. What are you guys talking about? This article appears to be about US sending weapons to THEM. I didn't see anything about them being allowed to resume sales of their small arms to us. As much as I am a fan of low-cost firearms, I don't see Bam-bam and his crowd lifting that particular ban any time soon.
I read it the same way, is something missing from the post?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_in_Sac View Post
I read it the same way, is something missing from the post?
Nothing missing, thats all there is. This article does not mention anything about the importing on our side, but its a step forward. I agree that obama will never allow arms from them since he would not allow those m1's from Korea a few months ago.
Old 10-13-2010, 1:03 PM

No m1 imports??? Weren't they made here, it's not importing it repatriating...JMO!
Old 10-13-2010, 1:04 PM

So this talks about opening up the embargo against selling TO China.
If we are unwilling to allow the importation of old Garands and M1 carbines from a staunch ally like S Korea, why would you think this would affect our ability to import FROM china?

-g
Old 10-13-2010, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_in_Sac View Post
No m1 imports??? Weren't they made here, it's not importing it repatriating...JMO!
Should be. Someone posted an article a few months ago that Obama admin. blocked the return of thousands of grands left over from Korean War. Maybe in a couple years we can get someone else in charge to make deals like these happen.
Old 10-13-2010, 1:15 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
The only reason that the State Department was able to stop imports of Chinese "munitions" back in 1994 was because we had a ban on exports of "munitions" to China. If the ban on exports is lifted then the legal basis for the ban on imports goes away.

The 1989 ban on importing "non-sporting" firearms would still be in effect. But all of the stuff we imported from China between 1989 and 1994 would be legal to import again.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 10-13-2010, 1:30 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

I'm fine selling China C-130's. China isn't so much a military threat to the US as it is an economic one anyways. I'll start yelling when Obama tries to sell them F-22 Raptors.
Old 10-13-2010, 1:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Raggedy Edge of the Verse, Fremont, California Republic

No! No! No!

Obama is the debil!!! Also the value of my Polytech AKs will do down!! Another reason to hate Obamie!!

Old 10-13-2010, 1:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

the chinese have lots of clone rifles for us

not just aks

they got some kick azz chinese ar-15s and steel p226clones in canada
Old 10-13-2010, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Raggedy Edge of the Verse, Fremont, California Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
the chinese have lots of clone rifles for us

not just aks

they got some kick azz chinese ar-15s and steel p226clones in canada
Yep. Back in the day a friend had Norinco Uzi and M14 clones..Very nice and 1/2 the price. Only of many purchasing regrets from the 1980's..
Old 10-13-2010, 2:53 PM

I just want a chinese dragunov clone. Thats all.
Old 10-13-2010, 3:03 PM

Firearms are one of the last things the U.S. is great at producing, I don't want that going to China as well. Even my Levi blue jeans aren't made in the U.S. anymore.
Old 10-13-2010, 3:46 PM

The C-130 is an old design, but this story shows the perils in selling military arms to the Chinese:

http://www.freeintertv.com/index.php...ntpage&sid=147
Old 10-13-2010, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Beach View Post
Should be. Someone posted an article a few months ago that Obama admin. blocked the return of thousands of grands left over from Korean War. Maybe in a couple years we can get someone else in charge to make deals like these happen.
No. That is wrong. They won't let the Koreans sell the old Garands and Carbines because they don't belong to the Korean government. The ownership of those rifles is still in dispute. As far as the US government is concerned, they are still US property. We are not allowing the Koreans to sell our own equipment here in the US because it isn't theirs to begin with. As much as I dislike Bam-bam, this is the right course to take on this issue. When they give us back our stuff, the CMP can work on selling it to us.

-Mb
Old 10-13-2010, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Beach View Post
Nothing missing, thats all there is. This article does not mention anything about the importing on our side, but its a step forward. I agree that obama will never allow arms from them since he would not allow those m1's from Korea a few months ago.
Um, then I don't know why you posted this topic in the first place. Your above statement contradicts your original posting.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
Old 10-13-2010, 4:41 PM

It probably won't happen, but I'd really like to see the Norinco 1911s come back. Unfortunately, they'd be non-rostered and unavailable in CA, anyway.
Old 10-13-2010, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdc View Post
It probably won't happen, but I'd really like to see the Norinco 1911s come back. Unfortunately, they'd be non-rostered and unavailable in CA, anyway.
Possible! Only if we could struck down the roster.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/LIR_123/GlockWise.png
Old 10-13-2010, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Um, then I don't know why you posted this topic in the first place. Your above statement contradicts your original posting.
Like another member said above it is related because if they lilt this embargo it will void the old. Like I said it's one step closer on our side as well.
Thanks

To the member that corrected my m1 answer thank you. I was not 100% sure what was the hold up.
Old 10-13-2010, 5:41 PM
Aka Mike Oxsmall
CGN Contributor

We buy everything else from them why the heck not.
Old 10-13-2010, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockwise2000 View Post
Possible! Only if we could struck down the roster.
That would be too awesome. I recall only paying 200 bucks for mine INCLUDING DROS! I figure if they had them coming in again, they'd be around 300 or so. I don't have a "stock" 1911.
Old 10-14-2010, 1:06 PM

I don't see how this helps us either. If anything, importing Chinese arms would tip the trade deficit even further in their favor. I'm sure that's the last thing our govt wants.

Not that I would mind seeing Norincos and cheap ammo for sale here again. Considering all the crap they manufacture, the Chinese actually put some effort into their firearms. My buddy's Norinco SKS is a nice rifle.
Old 10-14-2010, 1:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I want a chance at getting another Norinco SKS-D.
Old 10-14-2010, 6:06 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround1 View Post
Firearms are one of the last things the U.S. is great at producing, I don't want that going to China as well. Even my Levi blue jeans aren't made in the U.S. anymore.
Levi's has donated money to anti-gun causes.

I don't buy them. Don't care where they are made at this point.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 10-15-2010, 2:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
I want a chance at getting another Norinco SKS-D.
THIS! +1.

Man, wish we could get MAK-90's like the old days... the factory boxes of the MAK's I've seen for sale on gunbroker were stamped POMONA, CA, F-F-S!
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 10-15-2010, 8:21 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
Man, wish we could get MAK-90's like the old days... the factory boxes of the MAK's I've seen for sale on gunbroker were stamped POMONA, CA, F-F-S!
Yup, any Chinese import is going to go straight to SoCal first on a container into the port of LB/LA.

So it would make sense that the import company themselves be based out of SoCal too.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 10-15-2010, 9:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

China is a prohibited country for exporting munitions to.

And the way the regs work, any country which Is prohibited for export purpouses is prohibited for import (makes no sense but whatever)

There was actually an exemption which was receded in 1994, which allowed for import while still prohibiting export.

It's moronic that a country can be simultaneously holding most favored nation trading status, and be a prohibited country.

We don't make anything BUT munitions and prohibited products anymore (at least not things china wants to buy)
Old 10-15-2010, 9:26 AM

.05 cent ammo, $50 MAKs and $25 SKS, $100 norinco m14s. Shopping spree!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Just had a disturbing thought....

If I wanted to cripple the American firearm industry Long term, I would lift the ban and then allow a trickle of product in which was just sufficient to price the American manufacturers out of the market, then I would slowly reduce or slow down approval of purchasing.

Why would you allocate capital to domestic production when you could allocate re same capital for higher returns overseas....

I would gain sole controll over the industry subject to subjective rulings from the executive office and whatever beurocratic stumbling blocks I wanted to put in place.

I can think of quite a few which would seriously cripple the industry which would look benign..
Old 10-15-2010, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Not going to happen with the Obama crew.